Search Unity

4.3 causes BSODs as well

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by Reizla, Nov 14, 2013.

1. Reizla

Reizla

Aside from the freezing issues, I've noticed an other issue with 4.3 as well: BSODs :(

My windows (7 x64 Ultimate) hangs itself up and when it's restarted and I run WhoCrashed it tells me that the crash was caused inside the Windows kernel and it's a possible temperature issue. Well, that temperature issue is bullocks because I've been monitoring my temperatures and both CPU GPUs are under 45C when the BSOD happens.

I'm also very sure that 4.3 is the reason of these BSODs is because it's ONLY happening when I'm using Unity 4.3. In the previous release of Unity I didn't have any BSODs at all. Also, right before the BSOD happens the Unity project goes into 'modified state' as it reported in the freezing issue.

2. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

Unity doesn't have sufficient OS level privileges to cause a BSOD. It's just an application. Most probably the BSOD is caused by your graphics driver. Obviously Unity is a graphics-intense application, and will be using the GPU. Do you have the most up-to-date graphics drivers?

3. Reizla

Reizla

I have the latest nVidia drivers installed. But it's BS that my graphics drivers cause the BSOD because I can play games for hours (days) without having any BSOD - even games created with Unity (Endless Space).

Also (as mentioned in my OP), with Unity 4.2.x I didn't have any BSOD at all, and now that 4.3 is installed I get them - does make me wonder what program might be causing the BSODs...

4. Calaek

Calaek

Potentially Unity could be in-directly causing BSODs if they are driver related. If it is over taxing your system. Have you noticed any performance drops during editing/play testing?

5. Reizla

Reizla

Unity takes longer to load, MonoEdit takes forever to load and has a couple of quirks. But actually editing/playing in Unity didn't yet result in lower performance (game project isn't that big since I started only 2 weeks ago ;))

6. Calaek

Calaek

If it happens again, try to get the BSOD number. It actually sounds like you may have a hard drive issue. From the description of "load times" you gave.

7. K-JBrothers

K-JBrothers

What is your video card? There is a lot of complaints on geforce forum about crashes on Geforce 4xx and 5xx series. People report a lot of Bsods with drivers above v314.22 (which i'm using now) and some with Gtx460 with drivers above 310.90. I have no bsods, since downgrade from the latest. I don't know what is going on, but nvidia drivers get worse and worse with every single release.
    I had a lot of Critical errors in system event log
    Check if you have something like this:
    Code (csharp):
    1. "Event ID 14"
    2. \Device\Video5
    3. !0702(24f8)
    You may as well download Whocrashed from resplendence.com and check if you have nvlddmkm.sys errors.
    A lot of people reported broken video cards because of few latest drivers, and quite a few had to RMA. Have a nice reading
    here

8. Boomsma1995

Boomsma1995

I can also confirm that since using Unity 4.3 it has bsod my laptop several times.

Intel Core 2 Duo T9300 2.5GHZ
    ATI Mobility Radeon HD2600

So this problem is not Nvidia related. I am running Windiws 8.1 and do have the latest drivers.
    Unity 4.2.2 did run great. Bsods appeared since Unity 4.3

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013