Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

4.3 Standalone Builds Really Poor Performance

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by boone188, Nov 13, 2013.

1. boone188

boone188

I have tried several projects in 4.3, including the included AngryBots, and have run into the same issue with all of them. I get a really great framerate in the Game View, but the standalone builds run extremely slow. The profiler says that the slowness is being caused by constant CreateVBO calls. These calls are not present when run in the editor.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  2. derkoi

derkoi

Yes, i too have this issue, it's on the PC version only though, Mac standalone seems fine. My games gone from 60fps to 15fps! I've tried changing various quality settings, disabling shadows, fog etc and the results are the same.

3. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

This was getting spammed into my log file...

HandleD3DDeviceLost
    HandleD3DDeviceLost: still lost
    Skipped rendering frame because GfxDevice is in invalid state (device lost)

4. RayWolf

RayWolf

since 4.3 I get "Mismatched serialization in the builtin class 'Mesh'. (Read 183360 bytes but expected 183361 bytes)" error message and YES, I have same problem with performance drop in comparison to 4.2 builts and the 4.3 editor-play within unity.

Now Im not sure if I better switch back to 4.2 until its resolved or if its okay to work on the 4.3 scenes and wait for a fix.

5. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

I hope this gets fixed quickly, I resolved a lot of bugs today and made some really nice optimisations to Lunar Flight and really want to get the update release onto Steam ASAP...

6. Tiles

Tiles

Never rely at promises. You have to use what is available now. And that´s Unity 4.2 :)

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

For me too, I noticed a bizarre situation of the editor running something at like 60fps and then the windows standalone running less than 30fps and no matter what I did I couldn't get it to improve. Same project seemed to work fine on Mac and Ouya.

8. Calaek

Calaek

I would like to chime in and say that I am experiencing the same thing. More people on the list, hopefully the faster it gets noticed. I have tried several things including turning off lights completely, I thought maybe it was a light map issue but it isn't. What's worse is that my in game and stats gui FPS counter shows 60(vsync in game) and 100+ on the stats GUI but it clearly is not running at such speeds.

9. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Definitely seen a significant performance drop. In case others haven't noticed, occlusion culling had huge changes made to it. If you are using occlusion culling you'll need to re-bake it. Though on our end I can confirm its not occluding as reliably as it used to.

10. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

The same here..... 70-80 fps in Editor ..... 10-15 in Player... Seams to happen only with upgraded(converted) projects to 4.3... In new created projects with freshly imported assets no performance drop.......... But after all lets drink a beer for the new Magic Occlusion System :DDDDD

11. squared55

squared55

OC is unusable for me. It keeps shutting off visible lights. It also appears to have no effect on performance.

12. sebas77

sebas77

this happened with 4.2 as well, I do not think it is relevant. However I can confirm the lost of performance as well.

13. squared55

squared55

My performance in general has been decimated as well. I'm getting 1/4th the performance as before (<30 FPS) in standalone builds. In the editor, I'm getting 3/4 of the performance compared to 4.2 (90 FPS vs 120 FPS).

14. Tiles

Tiles

Make a bug report i woud say. The more test cases Unity gets, the better for them to catch the baddie. So throw them to death with test cases :)

15. Jacal

Jacal

Same for me, really poor performance with PC builds after 4.3 upgrade.

16. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

What Operating System are you using... i'm using Windows 8.1 Pro x64... is there someone with that version of windows to... i am wondering if there is any chance for the OS to be not fully supprted or something like that...

17. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

OK, yeah must have just been a coincidence, can't be good though what ever caused it?

I do hope the get this addressed soon, I am sitting on an update I need to publish to Steam.

18. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

Windows 7 64bit here. I'm not sure that is the problem though as it runs fine in the editor.

19. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

+1. My game actually runs faster in the editor of 4.3 than 4.2. BUT runs very slow in windows build. Here are the FPS.

In editor: 42-52 fps.

Windows build: 9-12 fps.

Just terrible. Not sure how this bug was missed. Unity, really hope you fix this asap. ;)

20. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

OK guis by me the problem was cause by the static batching system,,, after i removed the static batching flag on all models now my game runs much faster in Stand alone ..... : ) just try to disable it for now... until Unity fix the problem.....

21. boone188

boone188

That didn't fix the problem for me.

22. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Thanks for the tip. I'll give that a try. Maybe I won't have to revert back to 4.2. :)

23. derkoi

derkoi

It works! Disabled static batching in the inspector and gone from 5 fps back to 60. Re-enabled it and back to 5fps.

Thanks V_E_N_C_I, it's not ideal but better than nothing until a solution is found

24. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Only sorta worked for me.. 50-60 fps in editor, 26-35 fps windows build. Still better I suppose...

25. Brenden-Frank

Brenden-Frank

Disabling static batching is certainly a less than ideal solution.

26. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

yeah in my other project that does not fix the problem to... probably the are a few things causing the frame drop...

27. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

This made no difference to my project, in fact it made it worse.

28. eskovas

eskovas

This is also happening to me. In the editor, i run the game at 100+ fps, but with the build i only run it at 5-10 fps depending on how many objects on screen.
    Disabling static batching isn't something i want to do since it will really kill performance even more, probably more than this bug.

29. Calaek

Calaek

what is strange to me is that i get jerky/glitchy play in both the editor and standalone. i had an archived older build that i ran and its smooth as silk. definitely something up with 4.3

30. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

There was an update to the Known Issues sticky thread but nothing mentioned about this issue... I guess that list also provides work around so the guys are probably still (hopefully) trying to find out what's going on here?

31. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks for the tip.
    We greatly suffered from performance problems in Verdun (Windows, unity 4.3). The game was running 15ms in editor but 100ms/frame in standalone.
    Disabling culling would get it to 30ms. But disabling static batching (culling enabled again) got it back to the 15ms that we used to run.

So it looks like culling + static batching is a problem on windows. Disable static batching for now!

sh0v0r: Too bad it doesn't fix it for you. Try disabling/emnabling dynamic batching and try disabling culling? In the profiler the performance drain was all in Camera.render->Drawing in my case.

32. Calaek

Calaek

I did notice a slight performance increase by turning off static batching and using dynamic batching. But not enough that I could actually properly test builds. I'll try culling and report back.

33. pragmascript

pragmascript

I experience the same problem. But i also noticed performance decrease not only in standalone from 120+fps to 20 but also in the edtior but not so dramatic

34. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

we have 4 PCs - 2 Nvidia and 2 ATIs
    disabling Batching fixes the problem for Nvidia GPUs but the problem still exists on the ATI GPUs PCs
    nvidia super high FPS even with fresh baked Occlusion Culling... but low performance ot ATIs

35. Calaek

Calaek

I run an ATI GPU, and I actually am going to mention something that is completely off the wall but worked for me. I had recently overclocked my monitor from 60hz to 75hz (i'm a gamer :D) and This was probably right before I upgraded. I decided since the FPS in the editor shows me at 100+ I would atleast take a shot in the dark and bring my refresh rate back down to what it was before. At 60. And I have been running smooth ever since. I know this probably doesn't help any of you with your issues. BUT by chance if you have a 120hz monitor or have even overclocked it. Try dropping it down and see what happens. Just throwing out ideas to try and discover some resolution.

Note: This may actually boil down to an ATI driver conflict with unity? Possibly my overclocked refresh rate happen to trigger something in the drivers? (again grasping for straws)

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  36. pragmascript

pragmascript

I can confrim that on my setup (win7 gtx 660 ti) disabling static batching helps. even then the framerate is not immediately at 60fps (with vsync) but starts kinda low and after about one minute of running climbs to 60 and stabilizes.
    obviously disabling static batching is no real solution because its really important to reduce drawcalls.

37. alllen

alllen

This is what I experience. With static batching on, performance tanks for a minute or so and then it clears up. With static batching off, it's fine.

38. sh0v0r

sh0v0r

The Unity guys have confirmed the issue and it is currently going through their QA process, hopefully it won't be long before we see a fix. I hope its not held up by other 4.3 issues they want to have fixed in the next release. It would be nice to get this 'hot fixed'

39. boone188

boone188

Yeah it's definitely a show stopper. It would not be possible to release most games built with 4.3 for windows until this gets fixed.

40. Bluestrike

Bluestrike

So I am not alone in expiriencing poor perofrmance with the new unity version.
    I am using my 6 year old laptop for lowest requirement on hardware testing and fps dropped from 35 to 11 :/ since the update to 4.3

41. rstorm000

rstorm000

Our Windows users are experiencing the same things. Some of them say it happens when they look at renderers which have foliage on them. Is that the same with anyone else?

42. boone188

boone188

I have experienced the issue in a scene that contained no terrain or foliage.

43. V_E_N_C_I

V_E_N_C_I

Why is Unity full with BUGS..... they are so many that just started spitting out of the computer case..... they are all over the room..... please HELP.....

44. Dantus

Dantus

How about using your energy to submit bug reports?

45. JDMulti

JDMulti

Fps drop in Windows Build. Also confirmed here.

I switched from 4.2.2. to 4.3 and there is no way back. I tested everything except the building for windows. Now I'm in serious trouble, since I have a client waiting on my product and I can't deliver it with this huge FPS drop. :/ In the future I'll have to step back another version to make sure this isn't happening again.

Another issue I can confirm...

Occlusion culling in 4.2.2 worked fine. Now with same project and without objects being replaced, moved or whatever. The new Occlusion calculation makes small objects just disappear in front of the camera as well as realtime lights. It seams this Occlusion calculation has been set back to version 2,5 of something? it's really inaccurate, even if trial and error the settings manually.

I bang my head against the wall now, because I was so stupid to change to Unity 4.3. To all others reading this. Don't upgrade your projects if you need to finish them between now and 3 weeks. Cause you'll regret it with 4.3 version. Except making 2D games.

46. Kdroben

Kdroben

Yes experience the same issue here.
    We switch to 4.3 and work hard for a week whitout doing windows build (yes it's a real mistake).

The only way we have to switch back to version 4.2 is to waste a week of work and return on our SVN one week before.
    Unfortunatly this week we had to release our game, on a store :cry:

I hope Unity will react quickly because it's good to have the 2D, but keep an optimized 3D engine is better. I think this is the major issur on 4.3. Nobody with whom I discuss can provide build standalone windows with correct framerate.

47. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Unity reacts quicker with bug reports using bug report tool, then dropping the case number in the forum thread. I know right? it's strange...! it's almost as if Unity developers do not read the forum and instead have a bug reporter team. I know right!

48. Kdroben

Kdroben

We have already repot this issue with the bug report tool, and according to other messages we are not alone.

49. PDZ

PDZ

Jumping on the bandwagon. Also got poor performance. Bad performance seems to build up through consecutive plays in the editor. Only restarting the project will 'refresh' the performance.

Out of curiosity, is anyone else's project combining 2D sprites in a otherwise 3D project?

50. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

It's worth mentioning that every bug that can be reproduced is a bug that will very likely be eliminated in an update. Also check the "Issue Tracker" in case it has already been reported. Make use of the bug reporter!

http://issuetracker.unity3d.com