Search Unity

MonoDevelop 4 Woes

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by AntFitch, Nov 12, 2013.

1. AntFitch

AntFitch

The new MonoDevelop 4 is very sluggish on my computer (Windows). I'm having all sorts of weird little problems. Expand/Collapse is very slow. Sometimes I have to click on the + twice to get a block of code to expand after a long wait. When I save, the file jumps to the beginning and I have to hunt down what I changed. Sometimes when I save, my expand/collapse nodes get all messed up.

Is anyone else having this problem with the new version? Does anyone know if the old version of Mono will work with Unity 4.3?

2. Pix10

Pix10

I'm seeing some strange artefacts when expanding/collapsing code, like collapse a function and it leaves a closing parenthesis behind, which then vanishes. Fast desktop PC here, so I can imagine it might be more noticeable on i.e. laptops.

The cursor jumping to the beginning is because you've got a duplicate of your source file open - close the dupe and it'll go back to normal.

Unfortunately every time you double-click on a source file to open MonoDevelop, it will open the project as it was when you closed it, plus an additional clone of the source file again - can't believe this wasn't caught.

3. jillytot

jillytot

I'm on a mac, it's also kinda sluggish, but i really really don't like the font. If i try to edit preferences, it just crashes.

4. terravires

terravires

It's horrible on Windows7 too. Auto-complete can take up to 1-2 seconds during which the app freezes and you can't type. Double clicking scripts in unity editor more than once causes tabs to become unusable as I can't click to change or close. Finally code blocks are very buggy with indent and font sizes changing all over the place, then not drawing properly. Did they even test this stuff? :confused:

5. AntFitch

AntFitch

I found a small workaround for the folding issue. If you use the shortcut commands, there is no lag. I think this is because that annoying bitmap overlay isn't created when you need to expand a node.

The default shortcuts were difficult to use, so I remapped them with F1 (one node) and F2 (all nodes).

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  6. terravires

terravires

And just found another issue, monodevelop locked up on me and I couldn't even alt-tab to another apps. I had to end-task to get access to other apps. This is almost completely unusable for me. I've reported the bugs to unity but until they fix I'm not sure what else can be done.

On the flip side, I'm loving the improvements to mecanim. I've been waiting for some of that stuff for a long time.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  7. plasticYoda

plasticYoda

Using Unity 4.3 with MonoDevelop 4.01 on Mac Mountain Lion - I'm unable to debug my Unity project. I can attach to the Editor process and run the project, however, if I run the project with a break point set, Unity locks and I have to 'Force Quit' it. :(

8. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm finding that none of the Unity code completion works. Anyone else having that issue? I've tried syncing the project in Unity, but it's not helping.

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

10. enchantedloom

enchantedloom

Some more woes (on Win8.1) to add to the list:

- Frequently the tabs at the top of the screen stop working. I can open new source files or the same file again, but clicking on the tab does nothing.
    - Once the SHIFT key stopped working and I had to restart monodevelop. No idea why.
    - I'm getting code templates for some language other than C# when editing a .cs file.

Still, it's early days...

11. flaviusxvii

flaviusxvii

It seems that vi mode has lost a great deal of it's already limited capability. This is seriously killing my workflow. Anyone else have this problem?

12. terravires

terravires

Seriously?

I just tried to copy/paste from my GTK-Git gui, that wouldn't work. So I then tried to paste from notepad and it still wouldn't show up in monodevelop. I then tried basic text from Firefox/etc, nothing will paste. The only thing that works for me is text inside monodevleop itself.

Can anyone else confirm this?

Update: I did some digging if you have ever used Xamarin monodevelop it installs GTKSharp and doesn't clean up after itself when uninstalled. Unity's version was incorrectly using the Program Files(x86)\GTKSharp libraries instead of the local ones in Unity\Monodevelop\lib\gtksharp-2.0 . After removing the other copy in program files I can now paste.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  13. GXMark

GXMark

Windows 7 Bugs
    ========================
    First time i installed 4.3 my mono develop just crashing all the time.

Installed unity 4.3 second time : Now the getting a duplication of the source in the project (Weird S***!)

Not its very jerky and sluggish.

It seems to remove the old stuff from another project instance if you have two unity project instances open, very confusing S***.

MAC OSX 10.8.5

Ok did a software update install of all latest xcode and OSX.

MonoDevelop crashed first time i opened it.
    MonoDevelop does not find any of my solution in the project pane.
    An empty mono script fails the build!!!

I don't think 4.3 MonoDevelop is ready for release yet Unity Team!

14. LemonLime

LemonLime

Has anyone encountered an issue where the window in the MonoDevelop editor does not respond to the scroll wheel? Really annoying!

I'm on OS X 10.8.5 using Mighty Mouse. My scroll wheel works everywhere else, but not inside the active window I have open in MonoDevelop..

15. mweldon

mweldon

The code formatting doesn't work at all if you use a custom policy. It seems that only the built-in policies will work.

I copied the old Monodevelop from Unity 4.2 into my new Unity directory and it works fine. So that's what I'm going with until they fixed the new one. Actually it's not fine. The old version is a buggy piece of junk, but at least I know its limitations and can deal with them, unlike this new one.

16. Brickit

Brickit

I completely agree. :(
    The new version of monodevelop is terrible. The formatting is all over the place, all the refactoring (eg. bulk encapsulate) functions have disappeared, there are no icons for save etc... Sometimes Ctrl-S will save and return you to the top of the code or the beginning of a line (but not always)

Is there anyway to go back to the old version (without obviously downgrading unity)

17. dizzy2003

dizzy2003

My Woes

The debugger 99% of the time wont show enums (This is a killer)
    The debugger still doesnt show the contents of generic containers
    Code formatting just appears to be random.
    Code completion often seems to be actively hindering me from typing code.
    Random text corruption in the display of files
    Random crashes

18. pieje

pieje

The "smart" indentation is making me murderous

19. Tharabas

Tharabas

I second that. Had to turn it off, as non-smart was smarter than the "smart" indentation.

More woes:
    - Some keys are broken, eg. CMD-A will not select all, as it's supposed to, but minimize the application. Had to workaround that by binding CMD-CTRL-SHIFT-ALT-A to "select all" and use Butler (Tool) to trigger that shortcut whenever I use CMD-A
    - No more Fullscreen. Overall there is a lot of wasted space. The previous Version (shipped with Unity 4.2) looked more clean.
    - Broken GTK-Theme support and not even the the possibility to change the theme via settings.

(on MacOS 10.9 here)

20. churf

churf

My theme was thrown away and set back to the default. Bright unusable trash, which is amplified by my preffered oblivion text highlighting.
    For now I grabbed this theme
    http://gnome-look.org/content/show.php/Produkt+GTK?content=161804
    and chucked everything inside
    Program Files (x86)\Unity\MonoDevelop\share\themes\MS-Windows
    Back up original just in case.

Tabs are still bright, but menu is better.
    The Solution pad is still bright so I just put Help pad there in its place since it is dark and puts main window closer to center

If I find a fully supported theme I will come back, if anyone knows a dark theme that works better let me know!

Found this for changing some settings
    http://minimalreadership.blogspot.com/2013/09/monodevelop-40-and-dark-themes.html
    I am using windows and cannot find the file he is editing.

Where is this located in windows install?
    src/core/MonoDevelop.Ide/MonoDevelop.Ide.Gui/Styles.cs.

Gah, finally stopped playing around with themes and started typing.
    THIS IS HORRIBLE.
    Put the old MD back. Thank you for bringing my development to a standstill. I really appreciate it!
    The old MD was working just fine.
    Put it back.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2013
  21. snowflaketrail

snowflaketrail

Hi

Suddenly the tabs in Monodevelop are not responding to the mouse clicks, I have to switch by using the Alt+number shortcuts :\

Anyone knows what could be the problem?

Thank you!

22. RetepTrun

RetepTrun

I just updated unity and mono, but I liked the other mono better and dont see any advantages to the new.
    I liked the popup suggestions better, toolbars, and the style.
    idk why but to me it seems theres a thing of make programs round/bubbly and hide things from the user to make it more friendly but actually drive him crazy.

There a place do download older mono without older unity? or would that cause more problems?

23. fanjules

fanjules

I've disabled Indentation altogether but it still insists on indenting things. Grrr!

24. Brickit

Brickit

The intellisense is dead too on mine, it works for 1 level deep then nothing. eg System (fine) . (nothing even with ctrl space)
    I think someone over at mono must have merged a wrong branch or something because this is just terrible (like 5 years ago terrible!!)

Anyone know what the official word is? wether they are going to downgrade or wait for the mono team to fix it?

25. fanjules

fanjules

Perhaps going off at a tangent, but with Unity's huge might, I can't help but feel they ought to introduce their own editor specific to Unity. Integration would be absolute and go much further than any general-purpose product, and we all wouldn't be at the mercy of these sorts of fiascos from third parties. Tight code completion/intellisense and calling up of keyword-specific help docs would be the icing on the cake.

Fantasy mode: engage.
    A great editor was FlashDevelop (don't knock it until you tried it), and there have been efforts to adapt it to Unity, albeit only using Unityscript rather than C#. Maybe Unity should buy them and bring them in house.
    Fantasy mode: disengage.

26. Lamont

Lamont

Monodevelop has been nothing but problems since I upgraded.

- AutoComplete is dog slow and sometimes hangs up.
    - Going to the Options screen locks up the app (then crashes Unity).
    - Found a fix to the "Jump to Line 1" issue.
    - It is always on top of other apps. Alt-Tabing is useless. Lucky I am on 3 monitors.

27. Ebon-Drake

Ebon-Drake

It's really making me angry every time I reformat code to how I want it, add a } and hit enter. Mono reformats my entire script.

every time I change the way mono is suposed to format and save it, it never saves!

Every time I hit Control S to save anything it expands ALL OF MY FOLDS.. I JUST FOLDED THEM, STOP IT MONODEVELOP..

this software is really pissing me off and often times makes me stand up, throw my hands in the air, and go into the kitchen to get something to eat while I calm down.

hate Monodevelop, it's trying to be TOO helpful.

28. Thom Denick

Thom Denick

Both Mac and PC have good alternative editors. Visual Studio on PC and Xamarin Studio on Mac are both worth trying if Mono 4.0 is driving you crazy (as it is me... Why in the hell is there an extra tab on the for autocomplete? I've seen a lot of code in my days, I've never seen anyone put an extra tab on the closing bracket.)

29. mindlube

mindlube

Some of the things people are complaining about in this thread definitely sound like Monodevelop preferences to me! Not that Monodevelop is perfect...

I also was using Xamarin Studio, but in the latest version (4.2) they have really broken the font rendering on OS X. That really bothers me- I cant live with an editor that doesn't even render fonts correctly! Thankfully the Monodevelop-Unity 4.0 does not exhibit this bug!

I have also been using Visual Studio 2013 (in a vmware fusion) and also SublimeText. I am starting to appreciate each editor for it's strengths, and switch around as I need each one, or as my mood changes even.

Xamarin has announced some partnerships with microsoft, so hopefully the monodevelop and xamarin studio (same thing really) bugs will get ironed out. Either that or they will dump xamarin studio and focus on their Visual Studio plugins. Which would really suck for us Mac users.

30. KenConrad

KenConrad

i am having the same issue but with a logitech mouse. I have found that if i use my trackpad i can scroll and then as long as it is not at the top or the bottom of the script i can then scroll with my mouse... but as soon as it hits top or bottom the mouse scroll stops. 10.8.5 also

31. eggboxderek

eggboxderek

I came in search of this thread having gotten tired of the numerous bugs I've encountered since upgrading to Unity 4.3 (and MonoDevelop 4.0.1). I'm on a Mac running OSX Mavericks. The major issues I'm encountering are:

- Scroll wheel doesn't work (as with other users in the thread, I am using a Logitech mouse).
    - Saving returns you to the top of the file or a random location in the file (not always, but regularly)
    - Disappearing cursor (sometimes works, sometimes vanishes)

The indenting and auto-complete behaviour are annoying but I realise I can configure them. The issues above though appear to be genuine bugs. I haven't noticed any major issues with Unity 4.3 itself but the state of MonoDevelop right now is pretty poor - hopefully an update is on the horizon.

32. Jessespike

Jessespike

My woes:

- After updating, MonoDevelop would crash on start. I had to manually replace the glibsharpglue-2.dll
    - Code foldouts, slow and dont work alot of the time.
    - Crash while opening a compiled shader from Unity.
    - Random freezing and crashing that didn't happen before.
    - Lastly, (Not a bug) I don't like the new toolbar.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
  33. cAyouMontreal

cAyouMontreal

My woes:

- Cmd + A creates a breakpoint, not selecting the text, and sometimes collapse/expand the window.
    - Shift + A opens up a box showing C# pattern which I don't give a damn f**k, and the only way to close it it's to click elsewhere with the mouse, which means that escape, enter, etc...won't work. This is very very very annoying as I'm not coding with one hand on my keyboard and one on my mouse...God dammit Mono !

34. GonzoCubFan

GonzoCubFan

First off, I'm running under OSX Mountain Lion (10.8.5).

I've had numerous problems with the new MonoDevelop. The first one is that it did not port my tediously entered formatting setup from the previous version. Setting up formatting is a royal PITA on MonoDevelop in the first place. For some insane reason you have to do it in 2 places (if you plan to use the format document feature).

Also, I cannot debug AT ALL when switched to Android platform. Debugging will work for one or 2 runs under iOS before it craps out completely. These are both debugging in the Editor with the afore-mentioned platform selected.

There are a number of other annoyances: Won't remember my preferred window layout, clicking in margins may or may not set a breakpoint, etc.

I am trying to decide whether or not to go through the pain of re-entering my formatting preferences (do I still need to do it in 2 places?) or just switch back to the MonoDevelop that came with prior versions as others have done.

It doesn't help that Unity 4.3.x itself is less than stable.

Just add me to the group that is "less than pleased" with the latest iteration of this already weak product.

= Ed =

Last edited: Jan 20, 2014
  35. RSH1

RSH1

This version of Monodevelop is so buggy it's almost unusable...

* Opening a .cs file from Unity will open a new tab of the file in Monodevelop. File is now open twice.
    * Frequent corruption of display of text
    * Editor will often instantly scroll up to the top of the file/random point in the file upon saving.
    * Mouse pointer sometimes freezes
    * Mouse pointer in function drop-down list doesn't correspond with selection.

The old version was much more stable.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2014
  36. Texaggie96

Texaggie96

Does unity 4.3+ work with older version of Unity's Mono?

37. Texaggie96

Texaggie96

Hopefully, this might help some stuck in the same situation (using Mavericks). Preliminarily, using an older version of monodevelop with Unity 4.3.2 is allowing me to get passed the debugger's infinite color wheel of death on Mac Mavericks. (The reason i qualify this is that it might just be a statistical run of good luck i.e. the 40% of the time the debugger works in mavericks).

However, you need to do somethings.
    1. copy the Mono that comes with 4.3+ in a separate folder as a back up. Delete the Mono in the current Unity applications folder and copy in the older version of mono from <= Unity 4.2.2
    2. As with the older versions, you need to turn off all Version Control in Mono's add ins or mono will crawl.
    3. Disable Mavericks app nap for Monodevelop.app
    4. Show package contents on the Monodevelop.app and then search for all .apps inside it. You should find 2 (MDMonitor and MonoDoc). Disable app nap on them as well. (Not sure this is necessary but I don't think it could hurt).

38. im

im

yeah latest monodevelop is really hurting

crashing intermittently, and other problems like

auto complete often not working or not working properly.

also i really hate when i do Ctrl-S will save and return you to the top of the code or the beginning of a line....

is there anyway to disable this horrible behavior?

also a pain is when you have a script open double click in the project folder on the same script and it opens a second instance of the script...

can unity just move to dumping mono and allow us to use whoever .net runtime/editor we want so long as it meets some .net standard.

i know that we can switch the editor to visual studio but then it does not fully work... that would solve issues with mono having older version of .net with older style garbage collector, ect... i could then fully use the .net that microsoft makes and comes with windows and that im familiar with...

support for mono could just be for consoles, mobiles, apple, linux, ect where there is no microsoft .net / visual studio...

help!

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  39. Saxi

Saxi

Mono Develop is destroying Unity's brand. It's what Unity developers complain most about, and it is so critical to Unity develop. It's a shame they won't make their own IDE or at minimum make their MD changes a plugin so you can just use the latest version that is much more stable and supported.

Prior to 4.3, MD was at 2.8 or something, it won't be anytime soon that they upgrade from 4.01 which is like 17 releases behind.

40. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

He, he, it's so funny how whenever I read some thread about MonoDevelop on Unity forums it's all about bugs, crashes, freezes, and other complains on how buggy it is :p... Then I go back to my Si2 thread and I enjoy reading the compliments in it ;)

Now I know this may look like shameless self-promotion, but in fact it is just that! :p Well, also maybe this is a little hint for some of you who are suffering with MD and may find Si2 as a useful replacement for some of the tasks you were trying to accomplish with it...

Okay, now seriously, sorry if this looked like hijacking a thread, but I felt there are many people unaware of the alternatives. So go on now, keep complaining about the MD bugs ;)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  41. Aurore

Aurore

Director of Real-Time Learning

So everyone has bugged all these issues yeah? Bug numbers please!

42. Saxi

Saxi

Can't use anything without Code Insight.
    Once you have that finished, may consider it, but I use Visual Studio right now which isn't as bad as MD.

43. Saxi

Saxi

You guys have any plans on rolling the MD customization in an official plugin so using the latest version of MD/XS is possible, seems it would make everyone's life easier. Only thing better is writing a dedicated IDE for Unity.

44. Essential

Essential

45. Zenchuck

Zenchuck

I was using MonoDevelop, but then switched to Notepad to save time.

46. concave

concave

i disabled code folding in the settings - now the jumping on cmd +s /strg +s stopped - it seems to "work" now at least on mac. do you need code folding? ;)

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  47. Phoenix84

Phoenix84

I'm a developer who uses Visual Studio daily at work (this project is not for work).
    This is the first time I've had experience with MonoDevelop (and Unity). It is NOT a good experience. Monodevelop sucks.

I would use Visual Studio with Unity completely, if it supported debugging.

In addition to the bugs others have mentioned, after debugging in Monodevelop, I can no longer close any files. The tabs stop responding to mouse clicks. Also regularly after closing MD, the process won't exit (though the window disappears). That prevents Unity from opening any more files until I kill the process.

Thing is I can handle those issues, it's but a quick fix since I leave process explorer running all the time.

What frustrates me to no end is how Unity forces code formatting in the solution file. Particularly line endings. I'm on Windows, stop using LF.
    JUST STOP IT UNITY!

I have my own custom styles set, even as default in Monodevelop. Except Unity always writes its own formatting to the solution files it generates, which means mine are ignored. I have to constantly reapply my style to the solution every time I open it.

That I am NOT okay with.

I'm very close to hacking on Unity to disable that 'feature.'

Last edited: Feb 23, 2014
  48. Flipbookee

Flipbookee

It's MonoDevelop, not Unity. ;) It's a third party software, slightly modified by Unity, so if you want to do your own changes you'd have to do that using the source code from Unity's own branch which I believe is available on github.

49. Saxi

Saxi

You can debug with Visual Studio if you use UnityVS, a slightly expensive third party solution.
    MonoDevelop is ok, the problem is Unity uses a version that is 17 revisions back and a bad fork. If they didn't do the recent upgrade they did in 4.3, it would been like 100 versions back. The next time they upgrade MonoDevelop will likely be 2 years, so it is just going to get worse.

They need to develop their own IDE, or make their customization into a MonoDevelop module so you can use the latest version of Mono Develop and just install a module. Using Xamarin Studio (which is the latest version of Mono Develop) gives you a much better experience, but it has problems on Windows opening the solution automatically and even on OSX it isn't perfect due to the lack of a full module for Unity.

Mono Develop issues and fact Unity apps are able to be decompiled to clear text by a 6yo is deteriorating the Unity brand.

50. Phoenix84

Phoenix84

So then the Unity editor is calling into a Monodevelop library to generate the solution/project files? Makes sense.

I saw UnityVS. I'd like to get it, but I can't fork over that much for it. As it is I have my own personal copy of VS through Dreamspark.
    As for the decompiling, that's a problem with .NET in general. Running an obfuscator after building the project might remedy that situation, although I don't know how well they work (if at all) with Mono.