Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Coming SOON !!! - echoLogin PostFX Studio

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by echologin, Nov 10, 2013.

1. echologin

echologin

$adbigcrop.png

The RELEASE Thread is here
    Post-FX-Studio-released

Tutorial #1 video
    ( I am sick at moment i will re make better video when I feel better )

$shot_distortion.png
    $shot_bwrengroup.png
    $shot_vignette.png
    $shot_customcode.png

More to come soon !!

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  2. jerotas

jerotas

Subscribing to get updates on this. Very interested!

3. derkoi

derkoi

SOLD! Can we preorder it help test it?

4. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

Is the demo have "add color and auto detail" effects?
    I cant see clearly what they do or the difference with/without

5. nixter

nixter

Looks promising. In the future, you may want to make a demo where we can turn the effects on/off ourselves.

6. echologin

echologin

just msg me on Skype !

7. echologin

echologin

The add color effect is the fade to white at start of demo.

If your computer is fast you wont see much in terms of "auto detail" could try moving browser window around to slow it down.
    but the point is to be seamless and let app run as fast as it can. ( good for older devices )

You can also "set" the render texture size on start if you want to manually make a screen buffer smaller
    ( Cod Ghosts does this for image quality setting, and you could also have GUI be full rez while app is lower )

8. echologin

echologin

Well 2 things ..

1) There is no set amount of effects to show, you combine options and order them in each blit pass
    and have render groups ( groups of cameras that render to different buffers )

2) I really like making animated demos! I will put a lot more effects in demo b4 release.

Last edited: Nov 10, 2013
  9. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is what Rage does. Cool feature, I'm sure many people will appreciate this.

I think your FPS counter is always under 60 even on powerful machines, I think its float imprecision or something since the smoothness is 60fps using fraps or such.

10. derkoi

derkoi

I'm getting 120fps on my late 2012 Mac mini. 59 on my PC which is normally better performance than the mac

11. echologin

echologin

I been using some FPS script from the unity wiki, it just averages the fps every 0.5 seconds from what it looks like.

I should write my own.

12. JayG81

JayG81

This is definitely on my radar! :cool:

13. echologin

echologin

Shouldn't be long now just testing, polishing and working on demo

14. echologin

echologin

Adding one last feature where users can export effects to share or just back them up.

15. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is probably the best post fx package for unity. Been following it a while now, it's just really cool how it all collapses down to a single pass. Speed wise that just makes so much sense. Other assets do not do it in a single pass.

16. SteveJ

SteveJ

Yes, but can you do vignette with it? I loooooovvvvve me some vignette... :)

17. echologin

echologin

yes thats easy just would use multiply option against a yellowish color. if you want edges to fade you would add
    a subtract overlay.

I tried to put in the most used full screen options for initial release. the possibilities are endless.
    and have about 1000 ideas of things to add. everything AAA quality AAA speed!

This is not just some tweek to unity default postfx code but a whole system based on speed with multiple effects going at once.

can fade in fade out effects or have them blended at any level everything is tweekable

There is nothing like it

and yes it is fast as can be for mobile devices

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  18. SteveJ

SteveJ

Will be jumping on this as soon as it hits the store. Super excited about it :)

19. echologin

echologin

Cool !! shouldn't be long now, I plan on submitting to store this coming weekend.

20. SteveJ

SteveJ

That soon?! Awesome :)

21. echologin

echologin

yeah I been working on this from time I get up till time I goto sleep for months now.
    ( and still fixing bugs in framework and helping people with that in parallel )

as Arnold would say "I need a vacation"

22. SOULSSAGA

SOULSSAGA

UNTILL YOU DO A NODE BASED EDITOR TO SETUP POST FX AS GOOD OR BETTER AS UDK ...

You Should Not Rest !

Please !?

23. echologin

echologin

ALL YOUR BASE ARE BELONG TO US !

The GUI could go that route we will see what works best.
    ( I will post a video soon to show how it works, you can do most things w/o scripting anything )

-Scott

24. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

This is so easy it doesn't even need nodes, just effects that render in a single pass, which is why I love it. Time to throw out other shader post fx packages methinks.

25. metaleap

metaleap

Looks so promising, subscribed and looking forward to initial release.

Frustrated with Unity's default stacking and ping-ponging of countless rendertextures if more than one post-effect is needed, I did cobble together my own shader with the things I really needed initially just to have a sensible pretty output image to work with.

But I'll happily switch to CoreFX when its out -- for the fading and easier management and rearrangement of multiple effects.

(Also just to learn more shader tricks first-hand right from the guru..)

Couple of questions, echoLogin!

1. The CORE framework always generated a single super-.shader file somewhere in the project IIRC, but for this package have you considered #pragma multi_compile for easy switching on/off and implicit automatic recompilation without needing to recreate (and manage) a separate .shader file? While that technique had its issues with surface shaders before 4.3, it's always been neat for image-effect shaders. Your UI would simply EnableKeyword() / DisableKeyword() for the Shader object in the Material object and it will then represent the correct compiled permutation.

2. There are folks that can write Cg and don't need fancy shader editors, node-based or not, but will still want to use your FX framework for managing, arranging and enabling/disabling individual effects. Would be great if it was possible to have custom shader code pluggable into the thing neatly. Could be as simple/basic as specifying a .cginc file path and custom function names defined in there that all comply with some predefined function signature such as

Code (csharp):
    2. void customEffect (inout fixed4 fragColor) {
    3. //  custom pixel effect code goes here
    4. }
    Your thoughts?

3. If I read the 4.3 release notes correctly, rendertextures now allow mip-maps but not sure if that's also the case for NPOT ones. If so, this would make very cheap fake bloom/DoF/other FX requiring fake-"blur" possible even on mobile perhaps.. I mean without needing a dedicated blur pass. I'll have to experiment with this myself once I get my hands on 4.3 (still holding out a few days to see if major problems crop up with the packages I'm subscribed to), but just an idea that may or may not yet have occurred to you :)

LOL oh look there's "souls saga" again with their neverending evergrowing wishlist AND RANDOM CAPITALizATioN :D how about just using UDK then, dudes.. just what are you guys smoking :cool:

"You Should Not Rest" -- WTF.... :eek:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  26. echologin

echologin

1) That is what I am doing but there is a shader keyword limit. so i let users pick what options they will use per pass ( up to 6 effect options per pass ) then shader adapts via keywords. Each render group can have up to 2 passes each, The rendergroup and its passes then have a custom shader built. ( also built in the draw order you choose )

2) That is in the postfx as well right now limited to ONE custom file but that will change in future

3) If that works or not i have ideas to make DOF fast with focusing on an object ( just wont be in initial release ).
    You can do DOF now for side scrollers that have set pallaxing layers.

Just want to get this out there see how people use it and get it solid b4 i add the more intensive stuff.

-Scott

27. metaleap

metaleap

Good stuff!

28. echologin

echologin

Hardest part so far has been writing the export stuff so people can share effects. easy but boring hard to stay focused on this part.

29. metaleap

metaleap

Do I know the sound of that one! Story of my coding life .. thought gamedev would be better terms of ratio, but in truth, not that much :D still the results can be much more magnificient than some Enterprise Web 3.0 or other crap, so there, still hooked..

Oh, the auto-detail rendertarget switching is completely optional, right?

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  30. echologin

echologin

yep its an option when setting size of rendertex can be device size, auto detail, divide device size, add or custom size.

can get a cheep AA effect by adding to device size not sure that works on everything yet.

31. Zaddo67

Zaddo67

Post processing is pro only feature. Should I assume, this will only work with Pro?

32. echologin

echologin

yes pro only, sorry but that part is out of my hands .

33. echologin

echologin

Its still coming, just had to fix a problem with serialization, If i left it as it would have crashed and forced users to remake effects each time I would release update ( all fixed now )

So now u can save to XML and even share effects with other people. have to test all over again now shouldn't be long

Also when doing this I found a few faster ways to do things!!

34. SteveJ

SteveJ

How about finding a faster way to release this asset? Huh? You see what I did there? :)

35. echologin

echologin

believe me I work on this from time i get up till time I goto sleep. just do not want initial release to be buggy.

36. SteveJ

SteveJ

Ah, you know I'm only kidding around. I appreciate that you don't release things until they're working properly. That's a lesson I should learn :)

37. echologin

echologin

The time consuming part is i dont have IOS pro or Android Pro yet so i rely on testers other than myself.
    ( Keep them CORE Framework sales coming in so i can buy IOS pro !! )

but so far it is fast on mobile ( faster than anything else ive seen )

Last edited: Nov 20, 2013
  38. meta87

meta87

Oooo another asset from echologin?? Can't wait, will be buying asap. The other post-fx solutions I've tried haven't been performant enough for my needs, very excited.

39. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

60fps with the standard post fx on 3GS. I think it will probably fly on the newer devices. So fast, going back in time.

In unrelated news - Unity 4.3 has performance regression bugs at the moment.

40. meta87

meta87

Thanks for the info Hippo, that's awesome! I had pretty much given up on post fx for mobile.

41. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Well the other brothers has vignetting and screen burn, and Runner has vignetting and noise and both run acceptable on mobile. It's all about fast hand-optimised shaders and workflows. Scott (echo) is obsessed with speed since he's the programmer of Raptor and Demonstar, old games which had scrolling that was silky smooth even on a 386 afaik, so he probably knows what he's doing.

42. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

On skype, we can see the programmer hard at work:

All in the name of 60fps.

43. echologin

echologin

Was tweaking auto detail thing to make it as smart and smooth as possible so it can maintain 60fps. while my socks went ablaze lol

NOTE TO SELF: Never walk on porch when its raining when u only have one pair of clean socks, and if you decide to speed dry them in microwave DONT TELL HIPPO.

44. echologin

echologin

Almost ready to submit saving and loading setups/effects was a pain in da ass but done now

just adding 3 more slots for custom code ( which will also get saved in xml file for people to share things they make )

45. echologin

echologin

Couldn't resist had to add one more cool thing

it now works with UNITY FREE

Some features will only work with Unity Pro.

It will be faster than competing assets when using unity free in most cases
    ( especially when using multiple postfx at once )

On Unity Pro it will smoke them all !!

Last edited: Nov 30, 2013
  46. echologin

echologin

as far as i can tell its done be submitting soon

47. anadin

anadin

Excellent I have a clear and present use for this ;)

48. echologin

echologin

im gonna try to make a utube video 2maro to show how it works.

49. derkoi

derkoi

Any update on this please? Really could use some more Echologin magic in my project.

50. echologin

echologin

Yes very close just

10 Testing
    20 profiling
    30 optimizing
    40 fixing bugs
    50 if ( problems_found ) goto 10

i hate BUGS, the only good bug is a dead bug !

I could send you a release candidate 2maro if you msg me when your online in Skype