Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

real time engine for real time gaming

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by aaronhm77, Nov 10, 2013.

1. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

i am wanting to find and use a real time clock engine that will stay on all the time and will compute a game while i am not playing and will give notifications when an AI army has beeen bult and is advancing on my human army... so that i can turn on the game and begin playing the AI army etc, etc.

does any one have any sugestions and even know what i mean?

aaronhm77

PS the computer clock engine must be able to run using up less energy and power and memory while the game has been turned off :)

2. MD_Reptile

MD_Reptile

I'm guessing mostly here haha, but you need your game to perform stuff like every so often have a random in game effect, that the player notices later when rejoining (I say rejoin because this practically requires networking) and maybe like the player gets an email? Are we talking Android? iPhone? This is possible locally but difficult, and requires background functionality, that I don't think unity works well for (airpush?)...

anyway that's what I'm gathering from your question, and I'd guess that you could pay to host, or host your own "background-server" that keeps sending some notifications to users, randomly deciding what effects to have in game, and when the user rejoins the effects take place before loading in. there's my two cents. best of luck.

3. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

The real-time effect is administered by a server which contains the list of timers and event notification senders.

Check either Photon Server or SmartFox for that. The client sends a timer request to the server, the server then pings the client when the event-time has elapsed.

4. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

thanks

basicaly i am wondering if unity has its own cloud system and it would be a great asset if it did or will in future. right now sounds like they do not

ap

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Mostly this isn't actually calculated on a server or when it's turned off. It's actually calculated by how much time has passed since you last played it. It only SEEMS like it's progressing when you're not playing. That never usually happens, instead it simply quickly simulates what would have happened next time you open it based on how much time has passed.

If it has to be multiplayer online then that's different but you didn't mention that in the OP.

6. sootie8

sootie8

7. kburkhart84

kburkhart84

I was going to mention what hippocoder said. See Animal Crossing for reference. A game like this could be easily a single player thing with no connection to the outside world except access to date/time information. Generally, when you stop playing, it saves the time, and then when it loads back in, it checks the time you are starting, and any events that should happen that have a lasting affect between those two times/dates is then processed. Any events that don't have a final effect(for example a mini-game where you don't get anything unless you participate, or night lighting instead of day lighting) wouldn't have to be processed. Somewhere you would need to store a database of sorts all of the events, and if you want things to be able to change(based on controlled updates) then you would need a way to update said database.

8. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

i want to make a space ship game thats "real' real time both (on internet and or off) so that it takes weeks for like a ship to reach a planet destination and if a players ship incounters another ship (player or AI) the player will get notification on mobile or PC so that the player can see who or what it has encountered in the game.

no such internet on line MMP game is like that that i know of. this is basicaly what i am asking. does not seam it would be that hard for the gaming insudrty to come up with that but then they have yet (after all this time) to produce a... "TALL SHIP" video game (lame as crap) ... you are close to what i am asking and getting at...

thanks

9. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

thanks

most helpfull,

also like to add, which is what i am really asking to make my self even more clear, no need to reply;

... i want to make a space ship game thats "real' real time both (on internet and or off) so that it takes weeks for like a ship to reach a planet destination and if a players ship incounters another ship (player or AI) the player will get notification on mobile or PC so that the player can see who or what it has encountered in the game.

no such internet on line MMP game is like that that i know of. this is basicaly what i am asking. does not seam it would be that hard for the gaming insudrty to come up with that but then they have yet (after all this time) to produce a... "TALL SHIP" video game (lame as crap) ... you are close to what i am asking and getting at...

thanks

10. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

thanks

would like to add, no need to reply;

....i want to make a space ship game thats "real' real time both (on internet and or off) so that it takes weeks for like say, a ship to reach a planet destination and if a players ship incounters another ship (player or AI) the player will get notification on mobile or PC so that the player can see who or what it has encountered in the game.

thanks

11. aaronhm77

aaronhm77

thanks

to be more clear, no need to reply;

i want to make a space ship game thats "real' real time both (on internet and or off) so that it takes weeks for like a ship to reach a planet destination and if a players ship incounters another ship (player or AI) the player will get notification on mobile or PC so that the player can see who or what it has encountered in the game.

thanks