Search Unity

[Released] GUIMaker - WYSIWIG UnityGUI designer extension

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by hpjohn, Nov 8, 2013.

1. hpjohn

hpjohn

GUIMaker
    A WYSIWIG UnityGUIlayout editor
    by hpjohn

https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/12588

“UnityGUI allows you to create a wide variety of highly functional GUIs very quickly and easily... you can do everything at once with just a few lines of code.”
    - Unity docs

GUIMaker builds upon the simplicity of UnityGUI by providing an intuitive, visual, click-and-drag-design, WYSIWIG (what you see is what you get) editor that lets you rapidly position GUI elements around the screen with a simple click-and-drag interface, to do away with the manual calculation of positions and sizes, producing nicely formatted and commented script for in-game and editor window GUIs.

It's mainly meant for quickly figuring out Rect positions and sizing for when you want a lot of buttons/labels (at least, that's what prompted me to make it), but there's also some clever stuff about nesting groups and scrollviews, calculating offsets for elements that you want listed, changing element colors.

If you want to check out the docs online so you know what you get, go here

Known bugs:
    • Using the multi-select tool, if you have elements belonging to a toggle 'group', which in turn is inside a group/scrollview/window, and you select the whole lot, moving doesn't work properly (Just move the containing group by itself).
    • Re-grouping elements into a toggle 'group' makes them offset by the position of the toggle.
    • Putting windows into a toggle group does not output the correct script when saving - windows need to be put together in the script for BeginWindows() to work (Editor scripts).

It's selling for $5 at the moment, because I feel it falls a little short on what it could be (don't get me wrong, it works well).
    I do have plans to make some big changes (including a proper save/load) for which I would push the price up a bit (so early adopters will get a good deal).

2. LividRabbit

LividRabbit

Very nice, does it automatically adjust for differences in screen resolution?

3. SpiralConDave

SpiralConDave

Will this be updated for the new GUI system in 4.6 and above?

4. hpjohn

hpjohn

Seems unlikely, the new system is already wysiwig, and doesnt rely on code, this extension is intended for generating positional code.

I haven't had a detailed play with the new system, so there might be something I'm missing, but it renders this fairly redundant

5. mgear

mgear

hi,

just got this plugin for testing if this would work for creating editorwindow GUI's,
    it seems GUI.Toolbar is missing?

also maybe there could be option for [x] this is editorgui, so the un-commenting parts would be automatic.

6. hpjohn

hpjohn

Toolbar and SelectionGrid are essentially the same thing (in fact, they both call the same code internally), so I didn't include it.
    Re: uncomments, it should only be for gui.windows, and can only only ever happen once in a script. It does actually detect if you are trying to make editorgui, guess I just overlooked these lines