Search Unity

Relief Terrain Pack showcase for developers

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Nov 7, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

Looks quite promising :). On the full resolution I've got an impression something is wrong with MIP mapping. At far distance it's almost no chance to get such contrasty pixels. Do you experience any problems here (jittering noisy texturing at distance) ? If so you should check if all your textures used for detail diffuse are of the same size, normal textures and heightmap textures should have uniform size, too.

Tom

2. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Thank you. Yes I do get that actually. Im just going through making sure every texture is the same size. Ive changed my rock textures and im having a little trouble getting the blending distances just right. Im still learning it though so I expect a lot of issues. More issues than I've actually had to be fair.

3. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

This is what I meant by the blending issue $BlendIssue.jpg

4. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

This is what I meant by the blending issue

$BlendIssue.jpg

5. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Solved it. My own stupidity was causing this issue.

6. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

This is the second stage in my island creation.

Please excuse the FPS and almost unplanned flyover route.

7. tomaszek

tomaszek

Quite nice. I'd advise you looking at some areas where sand is winning with grass layer - they present quite tiled behaviour (because of detail heightmap reveals its tiled nature). To improve it - add some coverage noise there. You could simply take some jaggy noise brush and paint with grass layer there (using large brush and small opacity). Regularity of sand will be then broken and whole scene at far distance will look quite better.

ATB, Tom

Last edited: Feb 14, 2014
  8. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Yeah that parts been bugging me too. Parts look great close up. Great advise as usual thank you

9. sskillz

sskillz

If you guys post some scene files (to see how its done) or builds (for performance analysis) that would be awesome.
    Since the game I'm helping develop is heavily based on outdoor terrain (with little vegetation, 99% of the game play).
    I'm still not sure which engine should I use, and this would give me a lot of what I need to make the choice.

P.S I'm also messing with UDK and its terrain engine (not landscape). UDK has a cool terrain system that allows
    you to use materials instead of textures, which is really convenient since some of the materials can be simple
    diffuse and other can be complex such as parallax/relief mapped and uv mixed. You can even put a organic
    glowing goo material. Just wondering about the technical detail, I know how simple texture splatting can be done
    with PS/VS shaders but do you have any idea how material splatting is achieved from a shader point of view?
    Might UDK just combine all the material shaders to one big terrain shader? Or is there a more dynamic way?
    Could this be achieved in unity?

10. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

This is a must have kit. The amount of control you have over the detail is astounding. there are so many videos of what people have done that are more than worth checking out

but video from tomasz are by far the best

when used in combination with Terrain Composer the world is your oyster. literally with world composer

11. sskillz

sskillz

Thanks. Yes I've seen these videos, they are cool, and I already bought RTP. But I'm looking for a more complete scenes (with foliage, meshes and all) like botumys makes to test on a less powerful hardware, and seeing how it was created (e.g masks) with all the little detail combined, maybe even play around with it. Even complete games that use some high quality terrain in unity3d would be helpful. For example the last build I tested was that scene that was made in 24Hr in RTP 3, with finding that easter egg. The performance wasn't great at all, but on the other hand that was a bit over the top scene :)

Videos are great for showcasing but you can't see the little details. Build are better, Scenes are the best :)

Last edited: Mar 13, 2014
  12. ValrikRobot

ValrikRobot

Granted, my own video was slow. My computer is far from powerful. Its really on the bottom scale. when i push RTP to its limits, then add full foliage coverage ( more than i would need ) simply to test it. It only dropped to 20 fps. Thats a really, naff laptop which has barley any ram and not a lot of cpu power, LOADS of terrain tiles, heavy foliage and RTP. RTP also has a very nice layer blending. Instead of fading unrealistically, uses the hieght data to select the heighest of each of the spalt textures to be blended. So if you had rocks textures, and grass and you overlayed them both, you would have the effect of rocks popping through the grass.

13. argosy_ops

argosy_ops

Here we go with some animated footage of the game in which we used the shader (height blending for non-realistic surfaces, triplanar mapping). We also advertise a bit for the shader, since we really like working with it - good job ;)

14. tomaszek

tomaszek

Great to hear from the user :) Looks quite interesting and I really appreciate advertising RTP !

15. Montreseur

Montreseur

Is there anyway you can take a screen shot of the LOD Manager, so we can see everything you have checked?

Also I use world machine in my terrain pipeline as well. I was curious how you get the various slope masks. I am using the extended overlay currently.

16. Unlimited_Energy

Unlimited_Energy

just wondering if your still working on this. Everything on the asset store blows for underwater scenes. Im dying for an underwater system plugin for unity for my game

17. NessimOnair

NessimOnair

I do not know what you like PC, but your demo makes my computer lag ^^ must be optimized your demo ^^

18. botumys

botumys

Work in progress for my current world.
    A lot of tweaks need to be done. I'm currently sculpting rocks and further assets.