Search Unity

Unity community makes new game Astral Terra possible

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Tethys, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Tethys

Tethys

Greetings fellow gamers and developers. I am Chris Wightman with Tethys Interactive and I wanted to briefly share our story about using Unity and the communities tools to make our game, and a link for our newly launched KickStarter campaign for Astral Terra, a procedural voxel fantasy sandbox game that the Unity community made possible. http://kck.st/1aplBDs

Astral Terra is a smooth voxel fantasy sandbox that Tethys Interactive, a small indie studio from Indianapolis, Indiana is making. We have limited resources and knew it would be a struggle to make our idea a reality, a game that takes some of the mechanics from Minecraft and Terraria and translate that into something else more along the lines of an Elder Scrolls or D&D title, but on a small scale.

Through our research we were able to put in motion a plan, involving use of the valuable frameworks and assets that the Unity community has made, that would get us past prototype phase and into Alpha phase. We are just about there now and are on KickStarter and Steam Greenlight. Yay! This would not be possible without this great community and the things that developers have contributed to it. The following was used in the Development of Astral Terra - all found here in the forums or on the Asset store.

1. Unity Pro
    2. TerrainEngine
    3. Zeranos RPG Kit 2.0
    4. Photon
    5. NGUI
    6. Mixamo animation and rigger service
    7. The Asset Store for minor scripts and some art assets
    8. The Unity forums for dev tips and tricks and feedback

Astral Terra is entering Alpha phase early January. We have been in development for only 6 months (plus 3 months of R&D before hand). While not having the polish it needs yet, clearly Unity and all things that extend from it, such as these forums, developers and asset store, has been a HUGE benefit to us, an Indie studio with limited resources and a grand vision. By utilizing our strength as a studio (artists to make custom characters and concept art and Interactive designers), the Unity community has been just what we needed to compliment our skills and make up for our deficiencies, as well as provide a cost effective way for us to put our vision into motion. Thanks again Unity and the community for making it possible for our studio to create our dreams and play in them. :)

http://www.astralterra.com
    http://kck.st/1aplBDs
    http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=191913279

$Astral_Terra_KickStarter-8022439f97.jpg

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  2. GideonGames

GideonGames

This game looks amazing... :)

3. dyox

dyox

Nice work, the game is really great and very beautiful. Good luck for the future.

4. gryff

gryff

The video shows an exciting game under construction. So good luck with it :)

One comment I must make though, your personal description of the game, your aims, creation history etc. get somewhat drowned out by the music.

Or maybe it is just my headset.

cheers, gryff :)

5. Tethys

Tethys

Ahh yes thanks for reminding me gryff! The video on KS was updated with the audio edits but not the YouTube one. :p

6. Archania

Archania

Looks fantastic. Keep up the great work and good luck with the kickstarter.

7. Tethys

Tethys

Wanted to post an update to this. While the Kickstarter did not go through, Steam has just Greenlit us! We will be shooting for early access on March 4, 2014.

8. Incisions

Incisions

Do you have links? I'd be happy to vote ect ^__^

9. Archania

Archania

Fantastic news. Congrats.