Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Feet IK

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Kavorka, Nov 6, 2013.

1. Kavorka

Kavorka

Hello
    Been working on an IK system for bipeds. It Looks quite good. Not sure if I want to sell it, but I do want to show it off and feel its potential.

[video=youtube_share;z5on9aCmkfg]http://youtu.be/z5on9aCmkfg

Patrik

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  2. ZJP

ZJP

3. chelnok

chelnok

Nice. Looks quite natural. It this mecanim?

4. Kavorka

Kavorka

Thanks, your replies are much appreciated. It does look natural, doesn't it? This system preserves the animation pattern, and so does not make the character look as if it had child polio. It scales speed, step length and feet lift according to the terrain but it does so proportionally. On horizontal ground the animation is exactly the original blend. It will preserve the feel of the animation, leaving a confident strut and a zombie walk still being a confident strut and a zombie walk, on any terrain. It also bridges gaps as seen in the later part of the movie where the foot takes the natural path to its next position. This is mecanim but would work on legacy as well. It’s add one script and go (more or less), and it works with Unity free. The system is not entirely finished yet but it looks to become a hard to beat system.
    I read this http://kotaku.com/5938328/ about how nice it is that the Guild wars characters have IK when standing still. To me it is obvious that dynamic feet IK should be on all characters in any game approaching realistic.

Last edited: Nov 8, 2013
  5. Airborn-Studios

Airborn-Studios

i'd buy it. But can you show a video with a bigger hill and those stairs you added?

6. ZJP

ZJP

Good news. Thanks

7. PROTOFACTOR_Inc

PROTOFACTOR_Inc

interesting system. Looks pretty efficient. Questions :
    1 / would that work for creatures that are not biped ( animals on 4 legs, spiders, insects etc ... )?
    2/ what is the performance hit to compute all that? would that system be optimized for let's say 15 characters on screen for mobile platforms?

Anyways, Good job so far! :)

8. Kavorka

Kavorka

This system is for bipeds only. That is because it also takes (most of the) responsibility for the character moving in a natural and fluent way over the terrain. Making a simpler system for creatures with only the leg IK would be fairly easy in comparison. Maybe I will use this experience to make such a system, thanks for the input.
    About the performance, I don’t know yet. I shoot some rays and do quite a bit of geometry and logic. This system however is not iterative and therefore only does the calculations once every frame (maybe I can get away with less often, but for now I do every frame). This system is deterministic; it shots the rays, does the math and goes there, done. For a simpler critter system (which I am not promising to do :), I guess it could be made to perform alright.

9. Kavorka

Kavorka

Someone asked for a clip of the character walking on stairs and running in the hill. Here you go.

[video=youtube_share;xdeKp9BZR74]http://youtu.be/xdeKp9BZR74

It's not perfect on stairs, but as you can see, it's not particularly bad either.

10. brave_mike

brave_mike

Hello Kavorka - realy cool System - want to buy it!

11. Hamesh81

Hamesh81

Any updates on this? Also very interested in purchasing it.

12. FiveFingers

FiveFingers

Interesting, I would definitvely give a shot at it for 10$-15$
    Nice job keep it up!

13. blackant

blackant

yeah pretty cool way, really interesting.