Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Builtin Unity shaders source

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by Aras, Jun 21, 2006.

1. Alesk

Alesk

2. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Last edited: Mar 5, 2015
  3. Alesk

Alesk

Thanks... but this link gives to me a 0kb file :/

4. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

It's a 206K file and works fine here.

--Eric

5. Alesk

Alesk

ha yes ! it's ok now ! :)

6. unitarian411

unitarian411

Sadly the link in the original post by Aras no longer allows downloading of the Unity 5 standard shader source code. Instead it redirects to the full Unity downloads archive.
    Other links found by going through this thread or Googling for "Unity 5 Standard Shader source" also result in 404's or redirects to full Unity downloads.

This link embedded in the docs does work as of Mar 17 2015:
    http://docs.unity3d.com/Manual/StandardShaderMakeYourOwn.html

However, when I include these files in my asset folder, I get these three errors:

Assets/builtin_shaders-5.0.0f1/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(205,47): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.ShaderUtil.GetMaterialProperties(UnityEngine.Object[])' is inaccessible due to its protection level

Assets/builtin_shaders-5.0.0f1/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(205,17): error CS1502: The best overloaded method match for `UnityEditor.StandardShaderGUI.DetermineWorkflow(UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[])' has some invalid arguments

Assets/builtin_shaders-5.0.0f1/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(205,17): error CS1503: Argument `#1' cannot convert `object' expression to type `UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[]'

As suggested by this post, I change the offending line from

DetermineWorkflow( ShaderUtil.GetMaterialProperties(new Material[] { material }) );

to this:

DetermineWorkflow( MaterialEditor.GetMaterialProperties(new Material[] { material }) );

And then, on running I get

ArgumentException: Could not find MaterialProperty: '_Lightmapping', Num properties: 25
    UnityEditor.ShaderGUI.FindProperty (System.String propertyName, UnityEditor.MaterialProperty[] properties, Boolean propertyIsMandatory) (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/unity/build/Editor/Mono/Inspector/ShaderGUI.cs:48)

This post suggests:

Delete ShaderGUI.cs from Assets/Shaders/Editor

The downloaded StandardShader does not have a ShaderGUI.cs only a StandardShaderGUI.cs (the error does go away when I delete that file, but what else have I lost :)

I would like to use an amended version of the Standard shader to allow for an Infrared shader which I will invoke using
    camera.SetReplacementShader( renderIR , null );
    So I intend to squirrel away a little extra data in my StandardWithIR.shader: a "IR Map" texture and a "IR" brightness scalar which the

_IRMap( "IR", 2D ) = "black" {}
    _IRStrength( "IRStrength", Range(0.0, 1.0)) = 1.0

But when I load my StandardWithIR.shader into an object material, I do not see these two vars in the editor (likely because it uses a custom editor/GUI like the file I just deleted...how to proceed ?)

Thank you in advance !

Last edited: Mar 18, 2015
  7. float

float

Just a quick question for the Unity5 Standard Shader:
    I see that HeightMap and Occlussion both have a "G" as feeding channel. Should that be Gray or Green?
    My tests show it works with both.

To me that seems rather strange...
    When i use the Metallic Map that uses R+A i have two spare channels in that Texture (G+B) it would make sense to me if Occlusion would use Green and Height use Blue. That way i could put all the data in one single texture.

Why is it designed the way it is? If one of the two would use blue it would still work with single maps and combined maps.

8. FuzzyShan

FuzzyShan

can't find standard shader anywhere now....

9. Nanako

Nanako

why is this thread still here in its current form? Please update or remake it. The op is NINE years old and hideously out of date, it is worthless

10. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

I was able to grab the unity 5 shader source... :D How is that outdated?

If you meant that the first post's out of date... that's easy to fix. :)

11. Nanako

Nanako

where is that actually? the U5 shader source is why i came to this thread in the first place

It IS easy to fix. Someone at unity tech should just go fix it asap.

12. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

13. larku

larku

On this site, go to the top right click "Get Unity" then click "Free Download", then click "Windows", then click "For Windows" then choose "Built in shaders".

http://netstorage.unity3d.com/unity/5a2e8fe35a68/builtin_shaders-5.0.1f1.zip

Edit: FuzzyQuills beat my by 0.01 seconds. Note FuzzyQuills link is to the beta version, so that may no be what you want.

14. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Heh... must be too speedy! :D I actually didn't know that either.

15. Nanako

Nanako

thanks

i've got to ask another question though

Since these shaders are already in the uniy engine, why do i need to download the sources seperately?
    On any custom written shader i can hit the cogs button and select Edit Shader, but with the built in ones, the cog button is greyed out :(

16. larku

larku

Hehe, I think you just answered your own question :) - since the source is not distributed with Unity, if you want to edit/customise a built in shader you need to source.

17. FuzzyQuills

FuzzyQuills

Let's combine these two... :D

Essentially, the built-in shaders are built-in. Literally. So you can't really modify them, hence what Larku said; you will need to use the shader sources to modify them. Then you simply place the newly modified versions into the Unity project you're working on. (You don't need to import all of them though, just the ones you have customized)

.cginc files are a little different to this rule; after modifying a .cginc, you can either:
    1. place it into a folder in your project called "Resources" (Has to be in there for Unity to detect it)
    2. replace the global .cginc file in the Unity program folders. (I don't recommend this)
    And restart unity for the changes to take effect. :)

18. Zicandar

Zicandar

For adding stuff to the standard shader and it's GUI I have found a couple of useful tricks:
    1: Ofc you need to fix the compiler error, and others here have shown how to do so:
    2: I make all non-handled parameters be shown as normal:
    Code (CSharp):
    1. public override void OnGUI (MaterialEditor materialEditor, MaterialProperty[] props)
    2. {
    3.     base.OnGUI (materialEditor, props);
    In addition to the 1 line additon I have set [HideInInspector] tags to all shader parameters already in the standard.shader.

These things allow me to do stuff like:
    Code (CSharp):
    2. [Header(Enviorment Stuff)][Toggle(_WETNESS_OFF)] _PREVENT_WETNESS ("Prevent Wetness?", Float) = 0
    3. [Toggle(_ENVIORMENTAL_EFFECT_OFF)] _PREVENT_ENVIORMENTAL_EFFECT ("Prevent Coverage effects?", Float) = 0
    4. [Toggle(_GROUND_OBJECT)] _GROUND_OBJECT ("Ground?", Float) = 0
    6. [Header(Stencil Stuff)][Enum(UnityEngine.Rendering.CompareFunction)] _StencilCompFunc ("Stencil Comp Func", Int) = 8
    7. [Enum(UnityEngine.Rendering.StencilOp)] _StencilOp ("Stencil Op", Int) = 0
    8. _StencilRefValue ("Stencil Ref", Int) = 0
    WITHOUT having to further modify the StandardShaderGUI !

19. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

a436t4ataf, Junuxx, levlaj and 3 others like this.
  20. rustinlee

rustinlee

The link in the 9 year old OP is still correct, lol

21. Slim_d0g

Slim_d0g

Hi there. I want to replace standard shader with modified one. So I've downloaded sources, copied Standard.shader into my project as CustomStandard.shader and changed shader name.
    Then I set this shader for camera using camera.SetReplacementShader(customShader, null);
    And all I see is a black screen.
    If I pass builtin standard shader into SetReplacementShader function, scene is rendered just fine.

Can anyone help me?

22. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

the image below is not mine, but I don't remember where I took it from

Last edited: Feb 14, 2019
  23. GalleanV

GalleanV

24. dandepeched

dandepeched

Does anyone know where to find source for "GUI/Text Shader"?
    This is the only default shader that allow to change Source Image tint by it's own Color field.

25. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

See the first post in this topic; it has a link for shader downloads.

--Eric

26. dandepeched

dandepeched

Yes, I saw it and downloaded the latest one, but there is no such shader.
    Also it is not in the latest 5.x, 4.x archives.

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

If it's built into Unity, it's included in the download. It's not necessarily called "GUI/Text" as the file name; that's just what the shader is called internally.

--Eric

dandepeched likes this.
  28. dandepeched

dandepeched

Thanks for the tip!
    I found it by opening shaders one by one. It is located in "\DefaultResources\Font.shader"

29. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Hi,
    I have just downloaded the most recent shader pack for 2017.3.
    I have problems with StandardShaderGUI editor script, which generates editor errors:
    `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.TextContent(string)' is inaccessible due to its protection level
    I can't also see fields for the new standard shader features like "roughness".
    Any help appreciated.

30. alpahbeta2000

alpahbeta2000

I've got builtin shader packs for 20170.3.1p4 and 2018.1.5f1
    Both of them have error "error CS0122: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.TrTextContent(string, string, UnityEngine.Texture)' is inaccessible due to its protection level":(:(

31. Cortex-Productions

Cortex-Productions

Same problem here with Unity 2017.4.5f1 builtin shaders:

"StandardShaderGUI.cs(267,42): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.TextContent(string)' is inaccessible due to its protection level"

32. IgorAherne

IgorAherne

Search up on c# System.Reflection on youtube

33. jgeibel

jgeibel

And do what? This is a compiler warning from the Editor.

We are also seeing the same thing with Unity 2018.1.8f1,

Assets/Pluto/Shaders/BuiltIn/Editor/StandardShaderGUI.cs(33,59): error CS0122: `UnityEditor.EditorGUIUtility.TrTextContent(string, string, UnityEngine.Texture)' is inaccessible due to its protection level

34. guavaman

guavaman

He's telling you to use reflection to call the internal method that is inaccessible. You'd have to change the code. The shader pack's editor scripts must have been inside the UnityEditor.dll assembly so it had access to internal methods. Either that or in an assembly marked as a friend assembly. The only way you'll be able to call this method is through reflection.

Last edited: Aug 7, 2018
    PabloHassahn likes this.
  35. jgeibel

jgeibel

Ah, I get it. I assumed that when I downloaded the zip of Built in shaders for 2018.1.8 from their website [1] that they would work without modification.

[1] https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive

BradZoob likes this.
  36. jgeibel

jgeibel

I found it was much simpler to just replace all these calls to EditorGUIUtility.TrTextContent("") with new GUIContent("").

37. khlorghaal

khlorghaal

I would REALLY like if we could get complete docs and examples of shader builtin functionality instead of having to reference the standard shaders.
    The way things are scattered throughout files makes learning from them very inefficient and intimidating, with lots of chance to miss important things.

AverageCG and Necronomicron like this.
  38. a436t4ataf

a436t4ataf

Four years later ... still no online[1] version of shader sources (I thought there was an official one, but I can't find it, only unofficial ones - and this thread doesn't provide one).

And, because SO MANY devs need this, there's a LOT of out-of-date github and gist online versions.

So ... because Unity can't/won't put the shader sources online they've created a worse situation where people are referencing out-of-date / incorrect shader source :(. Please could someone at Unity put this stuff online? :)

[1] - i.e. something online where you can see the shader source. A zip file is not that, a zip file is something you have to download, save, wait, unzip, wait, open a new IDE, wait for it to index, start a search/replace, ... and FINALLY you can see the source. Compare that to: visit github project, open the file you want OR search for shader-macros directly and it works immediately. One of these things is ridiculously slow, the other is almost instant :).

alexzzzz likes this.
  39. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

One of those is mine :)

I think this can even be done automatically:

1. Parse https://unity3d.com/get-unity/download/archive for all the builtin_shaders-xxx.zip links.
    2. Download the new ones

for each of them:
    3. Use git or hg command line to select the proper version branch
    4. Clean up the working folder
    5. Extract the zip
    6. Commit the changes

7. Push

a436t4ataf likes this.
  40. tomekkie2

tomekkie2

Unity Standard shader and Unity Standard Specular shader use StandardShaderGUI.
    And this is inside the shaders source.

Where can other shaders GUI be found?
    Actually I need AutodeskInteractiveShaderGUI and this can not be found there.

41. Invertex

Invertex

You can find that class inside of UnityEditor.dll. This is an non-obfuscated managed code DLL so you can view all the source in it.

edwiz7 and tomekkie2 like this.
  42. TOES

TOES

Always?

Funny, because the link is dead now...

43. Invertex

Invertex

No it's not. Link works perfectly fine. Maybe there was a service outrage for a minute with their server or your connection.