Search Unity

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. Phelan-Simpson

Phelan-Simpson

Thanks for the quick reply!

The ssrr looks fantastic! So glad to hear that the clipping plane issue will be fixed soon, we are looking forward to using this with our project.

I think you mentioned before that you were going to incorporate this into Unity 5, which is also something we need, as we are going to be switching versions of unity to use all of its new bells and whistles.

Cheers,

2. IanStanbridge

IanStanbridge

Hi is there anyway to make this work with glow post processing effects like heathen's selective glow. I was assuming since it is doing screen space reflections it would display reflections of glowing objects. At present it displays the reflections of these objects but only shows how they look before the glow post processing is applied. Is there any way to correct this ? Whats the best way of reflecting glowing objects that use image effects ?

Thanks

3. Licarell

Licarell

@IanStanbridge, Well I'm thinking it might be how you have it ordered in your inspector... change the order where Heathen's Glow happens before Candela.

Just a suggestion,

Lic

4. MS80

MS80

Thanks for your detailed answer!

Good to know great features and updates coming soon (off-screen, forward rendering, manual update) ! Cant wait for it! ;)

Do you mean Candela and Skyshop together (reflection alpha and gloss settings in skyshopshader) will work only in forward render mode?

Have a look at the attached screenshots, the horizontal reflections looks good, but the vertical reflection has not the same quality (low sample shaky when moving the camera)!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  5. niosop2

niosop2

It's not a matter of it being vertical or horizontal. The problem is that it's a screen space effect, so it can only reflect stuff that's on screen. The stuff that's being reflected isn't on screen, so it's kind of guessing. You notice the vertical ones on the bottom look fine, because they're reflecting stuff that's on screen. The ones you highlighted are backfaces, so it's trying to reflect stuff it doesn't know about.

6. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

hi!!! there is plans to make reflections to layered objects ?

sometimes we need just to select the floor or just metallic objects

Many thanks

7. spraycanmansam

spraycanmansam

I thought this might have been a bug at first as well (it kind of is) but you have to set your camera manually to Forward rendering path, not Use Player Settings. Try that :)

8. mrbdrm

mrbdrm

+1

9. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks for this important question and the answer is, Yes. It will be available in the next update, so objects can be excluded from reflections with ease.

Cheers.

10. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

Thank you , this asset can really bring great looking to my scene many thanks for this , any eta for next update ?

and the question that NEVER SHUT any eta for GI Solution ?

Many thanks sorry to bother , but this is really important to us as we dont want to change to unreal/cryengine

Many thanks

11. MS80

MS80

ah ok, this kind of "guessing" causes these chiseled and sketchy reflection parts at the transitions from visible to not visible.

Thanks, I already tried this without success :(

Really great news!!
    Will "off-screen render mode option" released with this update, too?? :eek:

12. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Awesome tool.
    Can you Have any video tut? For more Info

13. Banana13

Banana13

Its really awesome, but im getting a whit line on front of my player when I use candela. How do I fix this ? $problem.PNG

14. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, possibly, we are in the process of optimizing this option and like to add it as soon as it is ready.

Working on them now, should soon have a couple of videos on getting started and usage scenarios with different camera styles including best practice methods for SSR in general.

This issue is fixed in the next update however if you like you can just comment out the code below in the following shaders and it will fix the horizontal white line, it's very easy.

Look in the Candela SSRR Resources folder and comment out by placing ' // ' two forward slashes before the following code then save the shaders Ctrl-S. There are two instances of this code in each shader and they both need to be commented out for all the following shaders.

if(tex2Dlod(_CameraDepthTexture, float4(i.uv,0,0)).x > 0.99) discard;

Change to

// if(tex2Dlod(_CameraDepthTexture, float4(i.uv,0,0)).x > 0.99) discard;

The following shaders need to be changed,

CanBlurX
    CanBlurY
    depthNormalBlurX
    depthNormalBlurY

Also,
    The new update is almost ready and will post the details asap, we some some great additions/ fixes and optimizations.

Cheers,

15. Goldrake

Goldrake

Hello, livenda
    I sent you a PM :)

16. djweinbaum

djweinbaum

Hey LIVENDA. I'm interested in your product and have a couple questions. I scoured the forum to find info on using candela on shader forge but only found a tiny bit of info on it. I'm using skyshop and deferred rendering but a bunch of my stuff is forward because I'm using shader forge as well. I'm mostly interested in adding ssr to my water which is shader forge made with depth blending. Do You think I'll have issues with this?

Another question: Does one pay for this ssr all the time? Even when no objects or shaders on screen are using it, or only a small portion of pixels are using it?

Thanks so much.

17. kru

kru

Does candela support orthographic projection? If not, will it?

18. wsz

wsz

Works with Lightmapping?

19. BigB

BigB

@Livenda : Any word when the new update will be released ? Support for alpha textures is really a must.

20. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, what exactly are you doing with the depth buffer for your water shader, can you be more specific... one easy simple method I can think of is using the grabpass method for refractions and using Candela SSRR for the reflections so no need to have a transparent material. Candela SSRR already does fresnel attenuation on reflections and you can just combine the two. We also provide the final screenspace reflection buffer which you can use in your custom shader. You can lerp between refraction and reflections by the fresnel amount. Also, for your last question, there is no performance loss when using Candela SSRR regardless of the number of objects in the scene as it is a post effect. The performance is constant and only changes depending on the distance/quality you choose in the global settings for your project.

No not yet, we are however looking at it now to include in the next coming updates.

Certainly, and looks great.

We will be submitting the update this coming Monday, so it should be available in a few days after that.

Cheers!

21. bcoyle

bcoyle

I'm quite interested now that you're also adopting BPCEM into your asset package. Candela SSRR might become the one stop shop for all things reflections. If this is the case, I'm about to sign up :)

Are you willing to help support getting your BPCEM process to work within Shader Forge shaders? I already know I can implement a way to control the diffuse alpha for the screen space reflections. I have no idea how to get BPCEM to work in SF.

thanks

22. TeddyBergsman

TeddyBergsman

Dear Livenda team,

We just purchased Candela SSRR and are experiencing the following issues out of the box (Unity Pro 4.2.1f4):

$candelassrr.jpg

Any clues? No setting configuration seems to tackle these rendering errors.

Thanks,
    - Teddy

23. BigB

BigB

Hey guys,

Have you submitted the new build this Monday ?

Thanks,
    Bruno

24. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, it is not really a matter for us willing to support BPCEMS with shader forge, it is actually the other way around , they have to make sure it works and supports our implementation. First, there is no single methodology to implement BPCEMS as there are many possible variations. In our upcoming updates to Cadela SSRR we will be providing you with a robust and easy to use tool sets to integrate BPCEMS to your projects whether youre using Candela SSRR or not. It is not a simple case of 'just enabling BPCEMS support' as there are many variations and it becomes a tedious task when setting them up for real world scale/size game levels. This will become more clear to you as we release our tool set for BPCEM integration. You are all in for a good surprise, with our new toolset BPCEMS have never been easier to integrate and look better.

Thanks for your purchase, it is difficult to determine what is happening from the single screenshot you have provided, are you in forward or deferred mode? also the model looks like from the new dDo product? Please give us more info about your setup, perhaps you can contact us directly on our support e-mail.

We have made some new changes and it will be submitted Tuesday.

Cheers!

25. BigB

BigB

That's great !
    I will be posting here some screenshots using Livenda :)

26. bcoyle

bcoyle

Thanks for the response. SF has a code node which lets you input custom code into the shader. This could be the solution to implementing your BPCEM
    http://acegikmo.com/shaderforge/nodes/?search=Code

Looking forward to the update!

27. AlteredPlanets

AlteredPlanets

Hey,

Really love candella , but do you think you can intergrate options, to access it from quality settings?

28. garyhaus

garyhaus

29. RenOli

RenOli

Hi, how is the performance control? If I want only the floor to receive reflections, how am I able to do that?

Is there something like Layers mask?

As I tested it can be hidden by alpha mask, but it still calculates, is it correct?

I didn't have time to test it with Shader Forge, but how is it possible to create ruthness as the example in SF?

Thank you very much,

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  30. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi,

Wow! what a great demo! very good use of Candela SSRR reflections. Did you model this? Just a heads up to others downloading this gorgeous demo, if you run in the 'good' profile and above the reflections will be wrong (upside down) as it seems MSAA is enabled. This issue and a few others are now fixed with the Candela SSRR update submitted Today. We will post the new update information in a few hours.

Thanks again for this executable demo!

Cheers.

31. nasos_333

nasos_333

Will the update be available to those that bought the pack in the group buy ?

32. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

There are multiple options and methods to tune for your performance target such as reflection scale, different composing options, resolution optimization, Depth scale and others. You can control the reflectivity of each object/material via the Main Color Alpha value (or can provide a texture for pixel level modulation). In the update submitted Today, you also have an option to mark objects to not cast any reflections. As Candela SSRR is a post effect the performance you set is constant and does not change in relation to the number of objects receiving or casting reflections! The Specular Alpha channel modulates the roughness value.

Yes, most definitely! You will receive an e-mail with the download information.

Also another heads up to anyone who is interested in case you haven't heard or seen, Candela SSRR is 50% OFF now on the Unity Asset Store Madness Sale!

Cheers.

33. BigB

BigB

@LIVENDA,

How will candela SSRR work with alpha textures ?
    Can we simply choose to ignore all alpha textures ?

Thanks,
    Bruno

34. nasos_333

nasos_333

Great, thanks :)

35. garyhaus

garyhaus

I did model all of this from photos and a few out of date construction documents.

Gary

36. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I have been looking at this product with some extreme interest and I have to ask you if this will work with shaders such as Alloy, which also uses Skyshop and I do have textures that determine the look of surfaces based on real world reference.

37. garyhaus

garyhaus

I am using this with Skyshop and Alloy in the architectural sim I showed on previous page.

38. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

You sir, are awesome. Definitely getting this... I could probably imagine the hard part was getting reflections in complex areas, especially in large open space

39. garyhaus

garyhaus

Neptune,

It did require quite a bit of fiddling with all the settings in Candela. I had to adjust some of my alphas to work a little better with it. Caveat, the skin shader in Skyshop(a different project) acts strangely at times... Kind of like it appears to have transparency issues with Candela.. Hopefully some/all of that is addressed in the next Candela update.

Regards,

Gary

40. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Same. I've been using the Skin Shader for alloy... looks insane. I can already imagine using Canela with PostFx like aberration and fim grain... INSTANT CINEMATIC BLISS. Honestly, I am not a fan of the Marmoset Skin Shader since I've gotten way more realistic results with the Pre Integrated Skin shaders.

41. bcoyle

bcoyle

Pulled the trigger on this finally (on sale!), looking forward to the BPCEM and learning the ropes with SSR

Thanks

42. Licarell

Licarell

Not to hijack this tread but while we are on the subject Neptune are us saying that the Pre-integrated skin shader works with Marmoset IBL solution...

43. garyhaus

garyhaus

On the Mac the reflections are NOT upside down FYI.

44. Snuffles10155

Snuffles10155

I am very interested in this product, however it is not clear if you can use this in Unity Free or just Unity Pro, can someone elaborate ?

45. garyhaus

garyhaus

As it is an Image Effect, Pro is required.

46. Snuffles10155

Snuffles10155

Ahh that's a shame was hoping to pick this up while its on sale. Better to wait till nearer the end of our development then we could use the month free trial of Unity Pro to get this implemented or arrange a subscription to Pro

47. krillmcrawl0

krillmcrawl0

48. bcoyle

bcoyle

I appears to work! Only tested with a Lux Bumped Diffuse shader - but the reflections looked the same as a Unity diffuse
    But there are issues with Shader Forge, I'm not sure what's missing..

edit: it seems to work if the Shader Forge shader is set to 'Deferred Pre-Pass for the Render Path (under Lighting on the left)

Last edited: May 7, 2014
  49. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I'm using the Alloy solution for skin, so yes :)

50. Project-Mysh

Project-Mysh

Hi,

Someone knows why when i use forward rendering The SSR reflections are inverted? No problems with Deferred.