Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

THIS VERSION IS NOW DEPRICATED AS V2 IS NOW AVAILABLE
    PLEASE GO TO THIS THREAD FOR THE LATEST INFORMATION
    Cheers!
    Hello Unity Community

Greetings From LIVENDA
    It is our pleasure to announce the Release of Candela SSRR on the Unity Asset Store!

Advanced Screen Space Ray Traced Reflections for Unity

No Baking Required, No Static Reflection Probes, No Pre-Computation, No Changes to Default or Custom Shaders, No Hassles and No Limits.
    with Candela SSRR Everything Reflects Everything...in Real Time HDR
    Unprecedented Performance at Pixel Accurate Fidelity!

Candela SSRR is a new complete and simple to use Highly Optimized Advanced Screen Space Ray traced Glossy Reflection Solution For Unity. It is implemented as a Unity Image Effect which can be attached to a camera in your scene. This technique works with any reflective surface and every point of the scene becomes potentially reflective which can be controlled via the use of applied materials. No default Unity shader modification is required, you do not have to touch your shaders, just drop Candela SSRR on to your camera and you're done! Candela SSRR being a pure post effect solution means it has no dependency on scene complexity.

This powerful solution is compatible with DirectX 11, DirectX 9, OpenGL and supports both Deferred and Forward Rendering Paths in Unity for both PC Mac! You will also be happy to know that we are aiming to provide Very Regular Updates and Great Support.

Candela SSRR makes it very easy to add AAA Quality dynamic reflections to all your Unity projects, after all reflections are every where in the real world now you can also have them in your Unity Projects.

Highly customizable and Artist friendly ! You have total control. Some notable features include easy manipulation of pixel accurate reflectivity factor, surface roughness (Gloss / Blur), Physically based composition, HDR support and many other reflection control parameters on per material basis.

$Candella_SSRR_2.jpg

Candela SSRR package also includes a number of demo scenes and model assets such as a
    Music Studio and a Complete Pinball Table so you can quickly see the big difference Candela SSRR can add to your projects.

$Candella_SSRR_3.jpg

$Candella_SSRR_4.jpg

Candela SSRR can help you make a radical difference to your project and is a must have tool, So hit up the Asset Store Link and get started with Candela SSRR Today.

This stunning new tool is now available on the Unity Asset, please sign-up to our mailing list to be informed of the latest news and updates.

Checkout some Awesome Videos showing Candela SSRR at work!

BUY NOW

For more information please visit LIVENDA

Happy Reflections, Livenda
    www.livenda.com

$CandelaSSRRv101s2.jpg

Last edited: Jul 24, 2015
    NintendoMaster00 and Magiichan like this.
  2. mimminito

mimminito

Looks brilliant!

3. DigitalGlass

DigitalGlass

Can't wait for this to hit the asset store. Does this include your own custom materials for controlling reflectivity?

4. sipon

sipon

"No default shader modification is required, you do not have to touch your shaders, just drop Candela SSRR on to your camera and you're done"
    does this mean it's Marmoset skyshop compatible ?

5. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Candela SSRR provides various methods to control, not just reflectivity but many other artist friendly parameters. There are multiple solutions provided depending on your project requirements. To answer your question, in general no custom material is necessary. Reflectivity factor can simply be controlled by the specular intensity in a standard Unity shader.

I am certain this will become all more clear as we update our website in the next coming days. We will be posting further details including many more Videos, Screenshots and more.

Happy Reflections!

6. blueivy

blueivy

This looks excellent! I just wanted to ask where you got that dinosaur demo scene from? looks like a good one to test gi! :D

7. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thank you! We will soon be announcing all the features of Candela SSRR The scene with the Dino is the Sibenik Cathedral from http://graphics.cs.williams.edu/data/meshes.xml

8. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Glossy Reflections where you want them

$Candella_SSRR_13.jpg

$Candella_SSRR_11.jpg

$Candella_SSRR_12.jpg

More images from the Kitchen Scene

$Candella_SSRR_7.jpg

$Candella_SSRR_6.jpg

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  9. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

New Videos and more, coming tomorrow showing Candela SSRR in motion including in-game footage and other goodies.

Happy Reflections!
    Livenda

10. jcarpay

jcarpay

Nice! Also, livenda.com mentions Candela GI is coming soon. Do you have a time frame for that?

11. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

I'm glad you noticed CandelaGI:), I cannot give you a specific time frame other than soon, at the moment it's WIP, but I can assure you it will be worth the wait. We will be posting more details about CandelaGI in the next coming week, we are working hard at making it flexible, super fast, simple to use and have full cross platform compatibility.

12. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks very interesting, bookmarked for future wish list!

13. BigB

BigB

Is this DX11 only ?
    Looks great !

Last edited: Nov 7, 2013
  14. jcarpay

jcarpay

Awesome!

15. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

HD 1080p Video showing a Unity 3D Scene with Candela Glossy SSRR Reflections ON and OFF for Comparison,
    the camera is in motion.

16. sipon

sipon

impressive ! can't wait !
    how is fps with/without ssrr ?
    what is your config ?

17. sipon

sipon

ho, and forgot to ask about Oculus Rift SDK compatibility ?

18. sloopidoopi

sloopidoopi

Arrrrrg.. your video uses some music that prevents users from Germany to play the video. :( Do you have an version without the audio?)

19. Piers909

Piers909

Does it work at extreme angles such as looking directly down at the reflection? Also, any idea when you intend to release it?

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  20. DrewMedina

DrewMedina

I'm also very curious about this!

Last edited: Nov 6, 2013
  21. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

This is awesome!!

I hope this will be supported by Amplify Texture,

Any idea of the price for this pack of awesomeness?

22. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

I can't give any specific performance figures at the moment as we're still optimizing it. In terms of the fps hit with and without ssrr, I can tell you it's very negligible, comparable to the default unity ssao post effect shader, however as I said this is not indication of final performance.

The Answer is Yes. It is fully compatible with the Oculus Rift SDK, I will post a video tomorrow to show this, please keep in mind Oculus SDK renders from two separate cameras, so it would have to be applied to each camera, which intern effects performance. We will release a ready to go prefab to simplify Oculus integration.

Yes it will work with Amplify Textures. As the nature of the plugin is screen space post effect, it shouldn't be an issue. In terms of pricing I cannot say at this stage however it will be affordable for all unity developers.

23. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

The first release version will be DX11, the dx9 version will be available when we are satisfied with the results however I cannot tell you when the dx9 compatible version will be released.

Wow! Didn't know that, it seems to be Germany only. I will post another video without the audio.

24. Cryunreal

Cryunreal

this is very cool! :eek:there is a very important point that should not be missed. It is necessary to maintain a roughness of reflections based glossnes maps. should not be reflected on one surface evenly clear or uniformly roughness.

25. Darkoo

Darkoo

This is very interesting!! will keep an eye on this.. +1

26. castor76

castor76

very cool indeed! I was on to making this effect myself as a learning experience and this looks certainly much better than mine!

I am very curious on what kind of techniques this method uses to fade out false reflections. I even wonder if this uses ray marching at all!
    And to get all the extra material info from post effect, I wonder how this is done too. I can't think of any other way than rendering the scene again using some kind of replacement shader and store necessary data into another render target texture. But this means another set of pass. :(

(I wonder if there is some DX11 magic here! :D )

Also reflection distance is very long so if this method is using ray marching, it sure is damn good one. Well done!

27. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hi, castor76, all very good questions, Candela SSRR implements numerous techniques to achieve the final result. We have provided a solution where fading of reflections is not necessary, of course with negligible impact on performance. There is no magic bullet answer to passing extra material info, the way SSRR is implemented this is not necessary in most cases. We will be posting further information relevant to your questions in the next coming days. With DX11, there is no specific requirement (It's all magic:)).

28. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Of course not, it's a screenspace effect so it only operates with the data that is already present in the image. It's essentially an application of raytracing that reprojects parts of the image onto reflective areas. This technique is not meant to be used on it's own and works best when supported by a generic cubemap filling whole range of directions, but in exchange it gets extremely lightweight and independent from the scene complexity.

It still works well, especially with proper physically based shaders supporting some BRDF approximation. Most of the materials don't have good reflectivity until you're looking at them at a very sharp angle, and in that case, stuff that will be reflected by that material will most likely be in your frame, ready to be grabbed for the screen space reflections (case in point: marble floor).

True screen-space independent and geometry independent reflections are technologically unfeasible at the moment and you can't get them in any way. You can render cubemaps on runtime (usually only used in projects like racing games, has huge performance requirements and completely wrong projection for anything but an ideal sphere, but looks decent enough on something like a normalmapped curved car), or you can write a shader that will semi-decently reflect stuff, but strictly for one flat surface (like the water in Crysis), or you can completely duplicate your scene (every single mirror reflection in GTA isn't a reflection but a duplicated room). None of these methods will give you nicely performing and properly looking mirrors, which is why almost nobody bothers with them in game art at the moment.

Best way to get reflections, in my opinion, is to use a grid of environment probes with HDR cubemaps of the level baked from their standpoints. These probes work similar to lights, have an area of influence, and distribute the cubemaps to every single reflective material in range, blending smoothly between the areas of influence from one probe to another. It's not the best way, but given a good grid and consistent (preferrably completely automated, like in CryENGINE) cubemap bakes, it gives a very good looking scene without any inconsistent reflectivity. Screen space reflections then serve as a cherry on top, by adding very precise local reflections on points of contact between surfaces, fading into background cubemaps. Looks gorgeous, gives almost no performance impact, requires no manual tweaking of materials. That's how any and all reflections are done in Crysis 2 and Crysis 3: drop the probes around the level, bake cubemaps for them, voila.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  29. nickbrownart

nickbrownart

This is looking really cool. Two things I was curious about:
    1. Are you able to run a distance-based blur effect on the reflections so that as an objects moves farther away from the reflecting surface, it becomes progressively blurrier (without using an extremely noisy/grainy normal map)? The effect I'm talking about is shown in this video at 1:55: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q0xsL5DpwDA#t=115

2. Using the effect mentioned above, can you drive the blurriness of the reflection using a texture on an object so that it interpolates between sharp and blurry? Specifically, the reflection would just blur out (but still contribute light and color, just fuzzier) as the texture moves into rougher areas. Somewhat like the concrete in this image: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/12254173/Unreal Area Lights/Unreal Area Lights 01.png

Cheers!

30. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

The short answer is certainly Yes for both questions, I will try to answer both your questions at once as they are interrelated. The reflections have a distance based interpolated global blur falloff factor which is ' also ' linked to the individual material properties as the per-pixel blurriness can be controlled either by a provided texture (roughness or gloss texture) or can be set to a certain value. (please keep in mind there is also the fade i.e. distance based falloff).

On another note we have also updated our web-site www.livenda.com with some information regarding our other upcoming products including a technology WIP Blog.

31. lazygunn

lazygunn

I knew i'd see GI somewhere, it's quite an interesting race between a bunch of products now, hopefully they'll all be great! And making a choice be irrelevant

32. sickle

sickle

sorry but when will the plugin available ? We are looking for purchasing. Thanks

33. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

We are working hard trying to bring Candela SSRR to Unity Developers as soon as possible. We anticipate within 7 days or so, you can have a look at our website for the latest updates.

Happy Reflections!

34. nuverian

nuverian

Been waiting for this :)

35. Don-Gray

Don-Gray

Watching.

36. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Which platform is supported ?

Mobile ?
    Web Player ?

37. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

The initial release will be DX11 only (Windows, Xbox One and maybe PS4) and we are certainly looking into making it available for other platforms but cannot promise anything at this stage.

38. blueivy

blueivy

I'm pretty sure Ps4 would be using OpenGL.

39. BigB

BigB

Any news on this ?

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

The ps3 used it's own graphics library, theres a wrapper for it to ogl i think, some clever fellow wrote it, but yeah theres nothing i know of that implies it would be ogl necessarily. Welcome to be proven wrong

41. blueivy

blueivy

do you guys plan on applying your ssr to your water? i dont see why not.

42. brilliantgames

brilliantgames

Any word on release? :)

43. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

In general Candela SSRR is not necessary for the Nephilim Ocean Water Engine as surface reflections are already implemented. However, there is nothing stopping you from also using Candela as a screen space effect on top of nephilim ocean, in which case you will have more accurate local reflections.

We are working hard to bring Candela SSRR to the Unity community as soon as possible, good news! it will most certainly be available to purchase in the Asset Store before Christmas.

44. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Candela SSRR Reflections + Candela IBL (currently in development) + Razer Hydra Controlled Virtual Camera. Video captured in Unity Pro at HD 1080p

Interesting new video of Candela SSRR at work.

Wishing everyone a happy upcoming New Year!

Cheers

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

Thata very swanky! But can i see it working in a game kind of environment as i dont usually make games about guitar pedals

46. bngames

bngames

Hi

Will buy when it supports Mac OpenGL 4 (think Unity needs updating first) :)

Great work :)

47. unisip

unisip

Looks amazing! At first I thought it was real world footage...

48. bngames

bngames

Hi

On your website there are 3 products, "Candela GI (coming soon)" sounds great too :)

Please get all your products working on Mac!

49. ZJP

ZJP

It's seem you're late. ;)

50. BigB

BigB

Are you guys gonna release this anytime soon ? SSRR ?