Search Unity

Screen Space Reflections for Unity

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by LIVENDA, Nov 1, 2013.

1. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks! You're welcome. We have many great new additions coming soon to Candela SSRR.

All good things take a little time:) we are working on this now and should have a complete / proper integration of transparent texture support perhaps in the next update or the one after. Candela SSRR does not stop you using particles in any way at the moment so it is not a choice to either have reflections or particles.

Cheers!

Screenshot from an upcoming tutorial video
    $GOBOT4.jpg

2. BigB

BigB

Well, true, it does not stop me from using particles, but the end result is ugly, there's artifacts around all blended particles ;)
    I will wait for that support then,

3. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Very cool.

4. keefus

keefus

Candela creates nice reflections for sure...

But I'm still looking for an answer on how to reduce reflections on marmoset shaders, Candela is essentially useless to Skyshop users without the ability to control reflection on individual materials.

Also, if you have to use the diffuse alpha channel to control reflection amount how do you create glass?

Thanks in advance.

5. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

This is an interesting point.

6. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

The Alpha value in the Main Color Channel of each individual material will modulate the Reflectivity amount in Candela SSRR , this works in both forward and Deferred Render modes.

$MainColor_Alpha.jpg

In relation to glass, Transparent shaders are not completely supported at this stage (unless they are cutout shaders) and as we have mentioned previously (check out the post above your question:)) we should have a solution for this soon. Also, in the next coming update you will also have the option to reverse/swap over the ' Diffuse Color ' Alpha with the Alpha on Specular Channel for even better compatibility with other packages.

Cheers!

7. keefus

keefus

Thanks for the reply,

This method doesn't work with Marmoset shaders though. If there is no other way of doing it I guess I'll have to abandon Candela until the update arrives and hope using the specular alpha will solve the problem.

cheers.

8. Venged

Venged

Does this work with Unity Free or just Pro?

Thanks

9. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

It should be working fine, can you be more specific, perhaps you can provide us with your scene so we can take a look for you. We have many other users working with Skyshop together with Candela SSRR. Are you changing the Alpha value or providing a Diffuse texture with Alpha?

Candela SSRR is Unity Pro only as it requires render targets.

Cheers

10. keefus

keefus

Hi,

I'm using a Marmoset 'Occlusion/Bumped Diffuse Specular' and I have tried adjusting the alpha value in the 'Diffuse Color' and adding an alpha channel in the Diffuse Texture with no affect.

I cant send you my scene as it is, I might create a new scene to replicate whats happening and send you that if that's alright!?

Thanks.

11. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Very smart.

Might it perhaps be useful to utilize the alpha slot in the Marmoset Specular map? Perhaps as a roughness for the reflectivity property of the SSRR?

Last edited: Apr 4, 2014
  12. deram_scholzara

deram_scholzara

Is there any chance that you'll be adding a user-adjustable "padding" option to render reflections beyond the edges of the final visible area? I've noticed that when looking downwards, reflections of objects near the top of the screen get cut off.

13. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Candela SSRR already utilizes the Specular Alpha for roughness which is the same in Skyshop so they are compatible without any change.

Another great question! We already have this working and will be added to Candela SSRR as soon as it's finalized. This is going to be a game changer feature as it will allow off-screen objects to be reflected dynamically, almost eliminating the need for any BPCEM's.

Cheers

14. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

hello!!!!!! PLEASE whats the news about the GI solution ?

Many thanks

15. kite3h

kite3h

It is great solution. I want to consist like RISE . They used specular convolution cubemap for global reflection, and screen space reflection for local reflection(near dynamic reflection).
    I want to consist skyshop for global reflection and your shader for local reflection.
    But I have two problems.
    First is reflection overlapped. if object has local reflection. it does not have gloval relfection.
    Second is skyshop does not have reflectivity. Should I use Alpha for reflectivity?

16. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

We will be making announcements soon for some very exciting products first one of which will be ' SPECTRALIGHT ' stay tuned...

Candela SSRR prodives two methods to compose the local reflections on the scene, Physically Accurate and Additive.
    When using IBL cubemaps for global reflections the local reflections in ' real life ' will occlude the global reflections so you should use the Physically Accurate mode, No other 3D engine has this feature for local reflections, Candela SSRR is the first. If you choose ' Additive ' they will be mixed and the 'bright' pixels from the global IBL reflections will be prominent.

Yes, you can use the Alpha value in the Diffuse Channel Color component or you can provide a texture for pixel level control.

Cheers

Last edited: Apr 6, 2014
  17. kite3h

kite3h

Thanks for replay. I succed to combine SSRR + Skyshop. Also I will expect your IBL addon.

18. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Hello Everyone,

Great News! We like to make Candela SSRR technology available and accessible to as many Unity users as possible.

Starting tomorrow, 8th of April and for one time ONLY, a chance to purchase Candela SSRR less then Half price! more then 50% Off if we reach our target.

Candela SSRR GROUP-BUY STARTING 8th of APRIL UNTIL 15th of APRIL

So, starting tomorrow anyone can Join the Candela SSRR Group Buy which will run for 7 days until the 15th of April. The more people join the more the price will drop. We will start a new thread for the Group-Buy where you can keep track of the progress and we will also post details on how you can join the group on our website tomorrow.

Please note this is a one time offer so don't miss out on your chance to get Candela SSRR at a great discount.

Happy Reflections!
    Livenda

19. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

Just bought this. Using main color alpha or texture alpha channel means it doesn't slot in with our project at all. What we need is a workflow where attaching SSRR to a camera does nothing, until we modify our custom shaders to be reflective using some property that doesn't conflict with any commonly used texture channels or colors. How is this best achieved?

Last edited: Apr 8, 2014
  20. zelmund

zelmund

sadly, but doesnt work with fluidity:cry:
    doesnt work with any transparent material too (

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  21. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks for your purchase, what you are requesting will have a significant impact on performance with this version of Unity with limited buffers. Unity 5, not so much. However, we are looking at perhaps providing the option to render another buffer ' Only if you need it ' such as in your case, so you can use custom parameters in your ' custom ' shader to control the modulation of reflections. Also, with the upcoming update version V1.03 we are providing the ability to select and add objects to a 'Candela Reflection Layer ' , so you can choose what is reflected and what is not.

Thanks for this important question. We have talked about the transparency support previously in this thread a few times and we do have a great solution we like to add in the next upcoming updates as soon as it is complete and working with every platform as it should.

Cheers

22. SteveB

SteveB

Did you guys forget about this? :D

23. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

The Asset Store still has it at full price.

24. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

Oh, I see, you have to signup on your website. Ok, so what about updates if I buy via your website instead of the Asset Store?

25. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Here you go:) It has already started and going great on this Group Buy thread

26. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

You will receive the updates automatically as soon as they are submitted to the Asset store via your registered/ purchase e-mail. We will also be doing a customer management system soon on our website, however until then we will e-mail the update download links, thanks again.

27. Games-Foundry

Games-Foundry

This may provide what we need, but please provide the ability to add object references via script at runtime.

28. Cascho01

Cascho01

Fantastic videos and screenshots, but no Webplayer-Demo showing framerate with and without SSRR enabled:
    Why?

Didn´t read anything about shaderforge-compatibility here - is it?

Thanks!

29. ZJP

ZJP

Point taken. This is a very good remark.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  30. nasos_333

nasos_333

Can you define which materials will reflect and which not ?

Also is it DX11 only or supports DX9 ? Are there any known incompatibilities with Skyshop, FXLab or other packs ?

Last edited: Apr 10, 2014
  31. lazygunn

lazygunn

Hmm just read this doesn't work with fluidity, i own both and haven't tried this myself but given fluidity's pretty much the only effect of it's sort and pretty amazing at that, i do hope this is rectified if it hasn't been already, i wouldn't want to have to choose between effects but as a main project involves fluidity specifically, it would be a bugger not having candela as an option in moments containing both. Perhaps this is a problem consistent with volumetric effects, i should maybe check with others I have too

32. SteveB

SteveB

There's really no demo?

Um...

33. ZJP

ZJP

Or a test version with an wartermark?

34. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Certainly, this should be easy with the ability to add reflective objects to a specific layer.

Thanks for your comments! We are working on a stand alone demo to be released soon. Performance wise Candela SSRR is great and with many options to tweak to your requirements. Candela SSRR is a Screen Space Post process effect and it will work with almost everything. For more control with other third-party packages, as long as they adhere to standard Unity shader output structures, there is no issue. Candela looks at Diffuse Alpha and the Specular Alpha Channels for modulation and the Depth Buffer, It is much easier for other third party packages to add custom integration to Candela SSRR than the other way around.

Yes, you can define reflectivity amount, roughness on per material basis. Your question regarding Skyshop has been asked many times on this thread. FXLab is for Unity free, Candela SSRR requires Unity Pro with Rendertexture targets and works with All platforms DX11, DX9 and OpenGL

fluidity is a volumetric effect using DX11 and compute shaders, as we have mentioned, Candela looks at Diffuse Alpha and the Specular Alpha Channels for modulation and Color/Depth Buffer, It is much easier for other third party packages to add custom integration to Candela SSRR than the other way around. Perhaps you can contact the developer of Fluidity to integrate Candela SSRR support. Please note, you can of course still use Candela SSRR toget with Fluidity in the scene however they will not reflect until Fluidity writes it's results to the depth color buffer.

Cheers!

$Candela_SSRR_GROUPBUY.jpg

35. ZJP

ZJP

@LIVENDA
    Although i'm interested in your product (I am registered in the group buy), I note that you never respond to messages related to the number of fps consumed by your tool.

So?

36. BigB

BigB

I have the Livenda tool, and as far as I can tell, the fps hit in my game, is not an issue.
    I just have problems with the lack of support for alpha textures, but they are working on it.

37. lazygunn

lazygunn

ZJP - I actually was curious because you kept asking so i'm looking now, on their sample scenes to go on, it's really not that slow, for a 'big' effect, i think LIVENDA keeps stressing all the settings to play with because i think every scene needs composing and tweaking to get the best from it, which leaves me mystified in some ways because their example scenes undersell their asset so much. It can clearly reflect things in pretty ways (although atm it seems some settings have to go on or it doesn't look as convincing as it should) so it's odd the sample scenes are so unartly and badly judged, in fact the thing i most disliked about the promo material was it was all neon and transformers film when it's an ugly way to sell what could be a very strong effect in a more arty application - see skyshop as an example of how to use a nice subtle image or two and understated meaningful presentation to sell their product as serious business.

Talking of which, i'm about to try this with skyshop now, i actually think it's an interesting timing because the 'edge fade' on this used to mask where the effect starts to weaken at screen edges is quite obvious but it seems like a box corrected skyshop's a perfect remedy, possibly even to a few of the shortcomings of the sample scenes in general. I may eat my words but i wonder if it's entirely improbable to use such an effect without such a pairing, find out now

But I will say, from what i can tell, from twisting the dials and pressing the buttons that i don't consider this a particularly slow effect, even if you might (i don't know where your sensibilities sit, i dont make mobile games for eg), you cannot deny there are a bunch of other 'big effects' for unity that take a much more significant bite out of your fps, although i can't imagine it's for my S2. My HTC One might be an interesting experiment though(would it work on that?)

38. ZJP

ZJP

This is true, but the problem is we do not know what is the power of the computer they used and they never show the FPS before and after.

39. lazygunn

lazygunn

Well i'm using it right now on a 580 and the sample scenes sit extremely comfortably in the 'very comfortable performance' range, still havent tried skyshop yet though. I'll maybe try it on my hybrid beast of a FFT ocean (much a product of scrawks ocean renderer and suimono) with any tweaks needed to the shader later and see if it plays nice with that, as that is already a demanding scene, assuming i'm up to it

My main suggestion to LIVENDA for now though is sharply improve their sample scenes, not to be patronising but i'm sure they can look at an evermotion archinteriors scene, copy it thematically and apply this shader they've worked for a long time on and give a much better starting impression. That's another thing i think i'll do too maybe, theres always archinteriors scenes hanging about

40. lazygunn

lazygunn

I think my conclusion is an emphatic 'use this sort of thing with something like Skyshop's box-corrected shaders, absolutely'

Just played around with the music studio sample scene, turned everything into box corrected skyshop mode and the env maps, room and reflections match very nicely ('dur' you might be saying) and it really works very nicely together indeed, i like it

41. SteveB

SteveB

Pics or Shens lazy...we TALKED about this before!! :D

42. lazygunn

lazygunn

Sounds a bit silly but i dont think it's my place to be honest! But then again maybe i'm just being tired and a weakling. I was, more are less, wholly underwhelmed to begin with, like I saw what it could do, played with the settings, i assume i was doing something wrong or something, the demo scenes just weren't together at all, looking back maybe there was something I was missing but I dont know what - I've over the day put the music studio and pinball table demo through Skyshop shaders instead of those provided and with an aa image effect on top and a bit of playing with things (To be honest i'm still getting used to skyshop so half the process was getting Skyshop to make sense to my pre-pbr mind) it looks really the dogs danglies, very very impressive, so at least with skyshop running in cohorts with it, definitely a worthwhile investment and could definitely put a product ahead. Still have to check it on a more natural scene with every shader properly treated with maps (a lot of the materials lacked textures that seem fundamental to the effect in the demos, like normal maps) so yeah maybe there'll be some pretty realtime archvis video up late tomorrow after a lot of sleep! Hope LIVENDA don't mind, i promise i'll only put something up if it's worth the while, i think it could be really grand in a non-neon transformers situation so if i get the time for it it'll be good times. Shall look for a suitable scene for the duo to go toe to toe with vray. If nothing transpires it's likely because i've technically got more important things to be doing, not necesarily because they didn't shape up

Do hope the solution to alpha comes along soonish however, would make the gdc announced updates to skyshop even more anticipated given i'd want the full set in box corrected format

43. angelodelvecchio

angelodelvecchio

YOU CAN BUY THIS WITHOUT FEAR ! I BOUGHT AT 125usd AND I HAVE NOT PROBLEM TO SEE A GROUP BUY FOR IT, BECAUSE I KNOW THAT IT WORTH IT,

**** If you can buy at 125USD do it to help this developer ! i am really crazy to see the GI Solution, if its good as this SSRR asset i will not even be rembering about UNITY5 with Enlighten !

Come on Livenda ! I am anxious to buy the GI Solution!!!!!! any chance for beta tester ? send me a PM!

Many thanks!

44. SteveB

SteveB

I can't hear you...WHAT??

45. lazygunn

lazygunn

Haha

I started taking my own idea a little seriously, so now im currently doing reference renders in max with vray for a couple of scenes (I might add one more) that i'm going to have things put through their paces a little. I thought it was probably relevant that I add some moving things and interaction so there may be a rare situation where a fancy thing on the forum actually seems like there might be a player that moves in it. That's the plan anyways, but thanks to that bright idea no pretty pictures tonight, need to get stuff together, then quite possibly abandon the whole idea when the force of real life overcomes me in a day or so's time

I do hope it gets a look-in though, i've got an idea of a mech vs velociraptor shootout in a swanky loft house planned with shiny things everywhere

46. Phelan-Simpson

Phelan-Simpson

Quick question Livenda:

How do you get around the problem of blur not appearing when you set the camera near clipping plane to 0.01?

We don't think your documentation said anything about the near clipping plane of the camera causing the blurred reflections to be unable to render. We honestly are not sure of what causes it. When the near clipping plane of the camera is set to 0.01, the reflections looks really jagged and sharp. Our project needs the clipping plane to be 0.01, and using a second camera to render everything again with a 0.3 near clipping plane is just way to costly performance wise. Maybe its just something obvious we are doing wrong, thanks in advance.

Cheers,

47. MS80

MS80

First of all this is a really great asset, very easy to use, no noticeable impact on performance, looking impressive!!

After testing around I found a few issues (maybe I am doing something wrong):

- Candela SSRR does not work correctly when using ForwardRendering(reflection perspective does not match while moving camera)
    - reflectivity gloss cannot edited when using SkyShop shaders, also "Blur Settings for Glossy Reflections" show no effect (skyshop shaders)
    - reflection works best for horizontal planes, vertical reflection seems to have less steps => rough, flickering, dirty reflection on vertical surfaces
    - only parts visible to the camera gets reflected (faces, objects occluded or facing away from camera are not reflected)
    - objects near to each other with reflection can suffer from faulty, incorrect reflections

Somebody share my experiences? Any ideas to fix these problems ?

Last edited: Apr 14, 2014
  48. LIVENDA

LIVENDA

Thanks for your purchase! This will be fixed in the next coming update amongst others. Also, wait until you see all the new additions for the near future updates, we cannot wait to show them to everyone. If you own Candela SSRR, my suggestion would be to hold on purchasing other products doing Parallax corrected cubemaps (BPCEM'S)

Thanks for your purchase, Candela will be the same in Deferred Render and Forward Render modes, identical. Also, as a 'screen space reflection' post process Candela SSRR Only reflects what is scene by the camera (Until we release off-screen render mode option, amazing feature coming very soon!) . This also means, it cannot reflect part of the scene occluded by another object, this is the same with all SSR techniques found in all Game engines including UE4 however Candela has the best implementation to date for SSRR.

We have much improved compatibility for other third party products in the next coming updates, what you mention is for forward render mode only.

For the rest of your questions, can you please provide us with a small test scene you are working on so we can take a look. Please note there is no difference which way the objects are in the scene. With Candela SSRR, there is no difference if they are as you mentioned 'horizontal' or 'vertical' as Candela uses high-precision depthmaps to resolve reflections. We have also updated the manual for the next update which should help for better understanding of SSR and getting great results quickly.

Cheers!

49. Mauri

Mauri

Impressive work!
    I love the little Robo Mech in the images on the main page :D

PS: I've send you a new e-mail.

50. 8Infinite8

8Infinite8

Very much waiting eagerly for the next update :)