Search Unity

Ubuntu headless server setup

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by fox, Nov 1, 2013.

1. fox

fox

Hi,

After trying for quite some time now and searching around everywhere, I have to admit defeat on getting our Ubuntu server up and running for our network game. What we're trying to achieve is to start Unity game server instances in headless mode on a dedicated Ubuntu server.

So, the setup we have:

Linux OS: Ubuntu 12.04 LTS 64bit
    Linux run level: 3
    Unity version: 4.2.2 Pro
    Built target: LinuxStandalone64
    Command line arguments: -batchmode

So, from what I can see from the latest release notes, running with -batchmode should work. However, the results we get with our test scene (which is an empty Unity project) is that it works ONLY if we are have a UI loaded. If we're in run level 3, the server starts and then immediately aborts. The terminal gives us the following:

Code (csharp):
    1. /dev/input/js0: driver version: 2.1.0 (20100)
    2. /dev/input/js0: fd 3, buttons 3, axes 2, name HP  Virtual Keyboard
    3. /dev/input/js0: axis  0: raw -32767, mapped 0.000000
    4. /dev/input/js0: axis  1: raw -32767, mapped 0.000000
    5. Aborted
    Is there anyone around having a working solution like the one we're trying to achieve? If so, can you think of anything special you had to do to get it working?

Many thanks in advance!

2. Arcanor

Arcanor

I suggest also using the command line argument "-nographics". I am also using "-logfile mylogfilename.txt", but that's optional.

3. fox

fox

Thank you for your response!

We've actually tried that before, without good results. I don't have access to the server right now, but if trying that flag on my virtual Ubuntu install I get "Aborted (core dumped)", an error which I don't get without that flag. The VM has the same Ubuntu version as our dedicated server.

4. Arcanor

Arcanor

I am running Ubuntu currently on a VM myself, setup locally on a Windows Home Server 2011, under VirtualBox.

If this happens for you on an empty project I'd suggest submitting it to UT for a bugfix. While in the Unity editor, click Help->Report a bug. I believe that will send your project to the devs for review.