Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Wooglie: Add your games to this new Unity3D portal!

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by MikeHergaarden, Apr 8, 2009.

1. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

The short story;

Today we 'officially' launched a new web game portal/platform for Unity3D games: Wooglie.com. We believe this website should appeal a lot Unity3D developers as there's near to no hassle to get your game online. There's even revenue sharing in it for you.

Visit http://www.wooglie.com and create a developer account to get started. You'll get your game on there quickly with minimum effort!

The long story:

"What?"

We hereby launch our new 3D web game portal for Unity3D games: Wooglie.com. "We" is Zylex, and myself.

"Why?"

Zylex and me were, and still are, very excited about Unity's 3D powers and abilities on the web. However, being unity web game developers ourselves, at one point we realized (and experienced from first hand) that the browser plugin penetration still is a serious problem for some specific type of games. It's a vicious circle: Some game platform sites simply won't accept Unity3D games because of the low plugin penetration, but at the same time such a site is required to actually gain more plugin penetration.

Large sites as Shockwave and possibly others that do accept Unity3D games are not specifically appealing for all game developers, mainly because of the customization required and the paperwork involved (even though I must admit that I haven't got a game launched on there.. but we've never received any answers on our emails either..). To be honest, I would still try to get my games on Shockwave, but even besides that, there's still a gap for Unity3D games.

These are the main reasons we decided to start a unity3D web game website:

• We believe there are a lot of unity games that need a nice home, and can't easily be launched anywhere else.
      This Unity3D web game website should help improve the plugin penetration (by at least a bit), and benefit us all

"How do I benefit from this?"

We share the advetisement revenue with all game developers. Every month we'll automatically calculate how much every developer has earned. We do this by splitting the advertisement revenue over all days, and calculating the share of every game by the amount of unique players per game. Of course not 100% of the advertisement revenue will be shared since we'll also have the costs and burden of the website. But the share of the game developers will be at least 50% at the start.

We will host your game so you'll have no worries and costs hosting the games.

At any time you'll have access to the statistics of your games, so you'll be able to estimate your revenue. Your developer account will also show you how much you've earned so far and you can request a payment any time as soon as you pass the minimum payout amount of 50 euros. The payments will be done trough paypal, so currency conversion is no problem (a paypal fee can apply).

"So, how do I get my game on Wooglie?"

Simply visit wooglie.com register a developer account, there are no costs and no spam involved. After your developer registration you will be able to submit your game. We will then review it as soon as we're able to and either put it online right away, or temporary disapprove it and tell you what to improve/fix.

"What are the submission restrictions?"

Game quality: We want quality games on Wooglie. However, even if we somehow deny your game; we will tell you why so you can improve your game to get it on Wooglie.

Game performance: We will be classifying the games on hardware requirements. We prefer games that can be easily played on most computers, however we do have plans to seperate the games based on hardware requirements, to also allow more fancy games for the users that prefer to play the more "high-end computer" classified games.

File size: At the moment we're starting with a file size limit of maximum 10mb. We'll see how the bandwidth costs work out to check if we can raise this limit.

"How can I help make this even more successful?"

We're open for any feedback to make the website more enjoyable for both the customers and developers. Besides that, if we find ways to improve the advertisement revenue both us and you will benefit from it, so we'd like to hear tips about that too.

Future plans

This is a bit of an adventure as we'll have to see if there is enough attention from both players and from game developers, but we believe there should be enough room left for a site like Wooglie. If it works out well, we'll also want to offer standalone game downloads.

Wooglie.com luckily already has a fair google page rank (5/10), and 30k unique visitors per month. So we got a bit traffic already. However we built that up with only one finished and polished web game, todays total relaunch should change these number significantly. We plan to contact some blogs etc. after a few days.

What are you waiting for?

Please register a developer account on Wooglie.com and check if you got any games hidden in your folders somewhere; Polish them up, and please submit them! You can now even consider porting iphone games back to the web ;).
    Wooglie does not require exclusive rights to the games you submit, so there should be nothing to lose!

Last edited: Oct 4, 2011
    Kos-Dvornik likes this.
  2. careyagimon

careyagimon

I'm excited for this. Looks good.

I didn't see it on your FAQ, but I was curious if you have a multiplayer matching and highscore API.

3. Tempest

Tempest

Fantastic. Time to launch a couple small browser games :D

4. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Nope, we do not offer those services at the moment. I also don't think there's much of a need for it..but feel free to prove me wrong.

I don't think we need to provide such a service because the unity masterserver nearly provides all of these functions. The only thing thats missing ia a GUI and possibly a lobby system. It's not much work to add this though, and an example script to the Wiki might be sufficient (instead of this API you're talking about)

We got some multiplayer/matchmaking in our own two games on Wooglie (Crate mania, Crashdrive 3D) and a lobby system in our game Surrounded by Death (not yet published on Wooglie).

5. nickavv

nickavv

This sounds like a great idea. :) Sign me up!

(and by that, I mean I'm going to sign up now)

EDIT: From the FAQ:

"you must have earned a total of 50,00 euros or more for a payout."
    You said it was 50, right?

EDIT2: I feel really stupid. >.> Non-americans use a comma instead of a period for their decimal point, right? So that does say 50. My bad.

6. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

A highscore API is a must-have I think. Good initiative. I'm having something to offer for you.

7. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

About the highscore API:
    Hm yea, I can see how that could be useful..most developers probably have problems finding a cheap/stable mysql server for it..

We'll consider it, especially since there's so much ask for it. We could probably provide a gethighcore.php a sethighscore.php file and some Unity scripts that you could use to easily add a Weekly top 10 (name/score) etc.

Thanks for the feedback so far! I'm looking forward to accept your game(s).

8. Sakar

Sakar

I'm gonna sign up right now! Hope to finish up my game soon, but I can't submit until I actually buy Unity (still on trial)

9. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

10. nickavv

nickavv

I submitted a game, but the image files I uploaded show up as solid black squares. Tried to upload in both Firefox and Safari.

11. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

I just noticed, was waiting to see if you would try another image format. I've emailed you to fix this problem.

12. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

Submitted a game.

A few questions too:

Do you plan on allowing games at larger resolutions in the future?

How do you handle money conversions (eg I live in the states, so Euro to the Dollar)?

Do you plan on allowing larger file sizes? (over 10mb)

Thanks,
    Luke H

13. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks!

Yes, we want to add a selectionbox to change the game's resolution. However; we're not yet sure what the maximum size would be. At the moment the website's layout wouldn't even support more than say 800x600.

All Wooglie calculations and paperwork is currently processed in euros, paypal payments convert this into dollars.

Hm yes depending on bandwidth costs (and depending on users patience). However, thanks to the great compression, rarely any of the games will really need to exceed 10 Mb..or when it does, it's usually very easy to strip them down. Besides that, big games are usually better served as standalone game. If the webgames work out well we will also consider adding a "downloadable games" section.

14. Zylex

Zylex

We're pleased to announce 3 new games on the wooglie site:

Forklift Hazard
    Doom Siege
    Toxic City

We hope to get alot more awesome games so we can make Wooglie bigger and the Unity webplayer penetration rate!
    Keep your games coming!:D

-Zylex

15. stefmen

stefmen

I'm happy to see my game on Wooglie
    I hope to update my beta version of toxicCity as soon as posible

16. Luke-Houlihan

Luke-Houlihan

I really like the setup of the site and how easy it was to upload Doom Siege

I only found one problem, the right click doesnt seem to work, the context menu doesnt come up which is good, but I cant de-select the towers, which is kind of important.

17. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks, we really want to make it as easy as possible for developers!

Hm, we did indeed disable the right click context menu via the html..however that should only disable the "about unity" and the "fullscreen" buttons. This should not disable your right mouse button action in-game. Could it be a game bug?

18. Zylex

Zylex

It's been 2 weeks now since we launched Wooglie and we now have a total of 9 games! 5 of the games are new and submitted by Unity developers.
    We think that is great but we want to hear your feedback on Wooglie to make it better and more profitable for the Unity developers.

We would like to hear all the comments and critique on our site and everything that comes with it. So provide feedback on the idea of Wooglie, the layout, the games on it, developer page..etc!

With your feedback we can improve Wooglie and make Unity a profitable, easy and fun game portal!

We hope to hear from you!

19. AngryAnt

AngryAnt

Keyboard Operator

Very nice initiative. Regarding the disabling of the context menu: I think you should let that be a checkbox option for the developer. Some might prefer to have the fullscreen option available without needing to do their own button for it.

20. Zylex

Zylex

We now have a total of 11 games. Thanks to our 2 latest additions of: 3D Breakout and Domino Creator

We still would like to have more games on our site! We have a steady 1200 unique visitors per day so your game will be seen by alot of people and per each hit you will receive a revenue share! Since launch we keep getting more ad clicks which means more money for the developers!

So if you have a games please don't hesitate to upload it on Wooglie, the registration is really simple and so is the uploading. So you have nothing to lose, only to gain! :wink:

If you got any suggestions or feedback on Wooglie then it's always welcome in this thread or mail to Hello (at) Wooglie.com

-Zylex

21. Martin-Schultz

Martin-Schultz

22. Zylex

Zylex

Yeah thanks to Martin Schultz we now have 2 new cool games! We're going to update our layout to nicer less chaotic layout in about a week so i'll post when it's online!

-Zylex

23. stefmen

stefmen

24. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

We've got a great new game from the developers of TinyTimGames: Sheepstacker. Another great example of an iphone/ipod touch game "converted" back to the web ;).

Furthermore we've totally revamped the site's layout to a more professional look, while still being playful enough for a game portal. We hope the site statistics will soon look even better than before.

25. Tempest

Tempest

Yay Sheep!

And I agree, the new layout looks more professional. Congrats!

26. TheRedTape

TheRedTape

So one question :p What is the default size for games on Wooglie? (I know sheep-stacker is different.)
    I'm having a bit of a problem getting my game into a webbrowser that makes it as large as the games on Wooglie. (Game is not finished yet but when it is will submit :wink: )
    How can I change the webbrowser size?
    And also, great job on the website I really like the layout :eek:

- Tim

27. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

Thanks! I'm glad that both players and developers like it.

Code (csharp):
    1. What is the default size for games on Wooglie?
    There is a default, however, every developer can change the width&height of their game at submission. Changing the size is possible at any time later on as well.

The default size is 640x480, but you can use *any* size between 100-600 pixels for the height and 100-750 for the width.

Feel free to check out the game submission form.

28. TheRedTape

TheRedTape

Great Thank You! :D

29. truecolor

truecolor

30. degeneration

degeneration

Quick question. Has anyone seen any payouts yet and how much on average are people seeing?

31. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

We didn't do any payouts yet as we maintain a 50 euro payout limit(to save paperwork), and no one reached that limit yet.

I must honestly say that at the moment Wooglie is no quick cash cow. It is an easy small-cash cow though ;). We hope all developers continue submitting their games, as with more games, we keep on growing to serious figures.

32. Zylex

Zylex

Well our own games together(Crashdrive mostly) did reach the 50 Euro minimum. But as Leepo said at the moment Wooglie is still in a small stage but once we get more games and more attention we can pay out more.

If we get more games and developers start promoting their games the money will flow for the developers. Big Fun Racing for example was hosted on a big gamesite lately and it sure saw an increase in it's income. Although it isn't that much at the moment it will surely will grow and especially when you support Wooglie by promoting the games and add games on it.

Wooglie is growing slowly but surely we sure see that in the statistics and with your help it will grow even more!

If you have any other questions just ask!

33. Zylex

Zylex

Hey all,

I just wanted to inform you about 3 great new games on Wooglie:

Sumo Balloon Panic:

http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=37

Renegades of Steel:
    http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=42

Penguin Panic:

http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=43

We now have a total of 19 games and things are really starting to get better. We are also advertising Wooglie lately to increase traffic. If you have a webgame yourself please do not hesitate to upload it. If you have any questions just mail it to hello(at)wooglie.com

I hope you like the new games, I sure do!

34. Zylex

Zylex

Hey all,

Well we've got 2 new games for you to checkout!

Space: The Retribution
    http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=51

Spellbound
    http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=46

We're very glad to have these two well polished games on our site. Space: The Retribution is definitely my favourite. It's a real fun game with alot of options and I've been playing it for a very long time hehe.

We now have a total of 21 games. We are also looking for ways/tips on how to promote our site some more so if you have any tips mail us, reply here or PM us!
    And if you have any tips about the Wooglie site we are also always very open for that!

Anyhow, please check it out and tell us what you think! I'm sure you like them as much as I do!

-Zylex

35. n0mad

n0mad

Hello,

what is your security strategy ?

For example, what if some hacker managed to leech the game and host it on his site ?

36. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

For our own games we first of all make sure that even when that happens, the game includes links to our own website(s).

On top of that, we added some basic security that should stop most, if not (nearly) all, of these hotlinking/redistribution attempts. See our FAQ item "I want to add my game to Wooglie, but I'm afraid other site's could copy it, can I protect my game?". The FAQ includes some code to add to a game so that it's only allowed to play from wooglie.com.

If a game on Wooglie is not using the FAQ code we can't easily fight hotlinking or downloading and redistribution of games. However, if we notice a lot of hotlinking we can apply some server side tricks to stop hotlinking.

37. n0mad

n0mad

Oh didn't see that FAQ part, sorry.

Thank you

38. helioraanswer

helioraanswer

Hello,

This sounds like a great idea. Maybe there will be a flashlicense.com for Unity some day. It's a website where people can post their flash games and developers can buy it etc. etc. etc.

Quenstion for you:

I'm also working with Unity on my own and I'm a 3d modeler. So far I've created 2 very small games but they work. As in you can lose (winning isn't really in yet). Because I suck at programming the games aren't much gameplay but I do try to make the 3d stuff good.

Is there a section for demo's or prototypes? Does the game have to be 100% bugfree and working perfectly? Or should I put it in mini-games?

My games are around 1,5 mb and don't have sound. With sound the games are around 7 mb and that's just a looping soundtrack of 4 minutes. So I don't really see it add enough for the extra space.

You can check them at my website www.heliora.com, and if they qualify I'll upload them to wooglie.

And what about the rights? I'm not into this one-man-devving for the the money but more for portfolio purposes. So I would like to hold the rights to my stuff.

Is there a way for signed up Unity developers to comment on each others stuff in a different section? That you can get 2 sorts of feedback, the players and the developers. That would be great.

Good luck with the site

kind regards,

Fernando

39. Zylex

Zylex

Im on a mobile device now, so im sorry for this short reply:

Yes you keep all rights, you can still submit your games to other portals, and you keep ownership. See the gamedevelopers agreement.

Regarding the "prototype"/wip games, we noticed there is enough interest for such a new category/section. ATM we prefer polished games only to keep the sites image up, but we'll seriously consider adding a seperate section.

Once we get back to our desktops we'll look into this and we'll be able to reply quicker and easier ;).

40. Zylex

Zylex

We received a game from Daniel Wilkinson and David Lancaster! It's a top-down survival shooter against the aliens. The game is in my opinion very well polished and fun. It even features an achievement system and highscores to keep you busy, but i'm sure it will anyway!

Play the game here:
    http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=85

Have fun!

41. Zylex

Zylex

42. Jason_DB

Jason_DB

I just added my game (CubeShooter Arcade) to Wooglie and I'm really happy with the site, it was easy to put on and i've had over 400 plays (and 100 hours of playtime) over the past six days! I also found, when I was going to link to the game from another site, that Zylex had already posted a link, which was pretty convenient.
    I guess what I'm saying is that if you have a unity game that could be put on Wooglie there's really no reason not to.

Link to the game: http://www.wooglie.com/playgame.php?gameID=93

43. N

N

That's an incredible idea! Well done M2H guys, keep it up!

44. RocketeerGames

RocketeerGames

45. sebako

sebako

How you guys promote wooglie? Do you using digg.com / facebook / twitter?
    If not, DO IT! ;)

I will promote wooglie.com in my private network.

My Game isnt ready yet I think it will take 1-2 more month. But if it is done it will be on wooglie.

regards

zemog

46. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

47. Dawisch

Dawisch

I'm working on a game for your site now!

BTW I love the look of your of the site :)

48. MikeHergaarden

MikeHergaarden

We've added an "In development" category to Wooglie, allowing developers to add early versions of games and ask for feedback on Wooglie, or to share the game on the forums.

49. techmage

techmage

Awesome site.

I'm curious to know, what with the ads brings in money?

Do people have to click on the ads? Or does just having them on your site provide money?

50. techmage

techmage

Although one thing about the site. And this is kind of nitpicky, but I think the orange and blue is too vibrant.

I say this only from the point of if, I design my game to have like an all neon green, neon blue and black color scheme, then having a bunch of powder blue and bright orange around it kind of clashes with the color in my game.

I think if the site were made of perhaps desaturated earth tones, and greys, it would be alot better, because then the sites color scheme would blend in better with the color scheme of the games.

Also maybe with like a dark charcoal background to make the window of the game stand out more.