Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Relief Terrain Pack (RTP) v3 on AssetStore

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by tomaszek, Oct 22, 2013.

1. tomaszek

tomaszek

RTP3.3 - Full Unity PBR, works on U5.3 (tessellation on Mac). Simplified features and LOD manager.

Improved snow (match UBER) with glitter:

RTP3.2 - Unity5 realtime GI working (spec probes, too - out of the box) + tessellation:

Showcase demo below relies on RTP3.0, but still it's so eye candy:

Watch in Chrome full HD 60fps (in FF it jitters a bit at 30fps)

Note that above RTP3 Island Demo movie (grabbed from realtime build) consists of many additional goodies for showcase purpose. Note that artwork presented above is NOT part of RTP3 package but presents potential power of it (to some extent - there are quite a lot features not used in the demo like dynamic snow , PBS, reflections and so on).

Interactive demo of example scene that comes with RTP3.1 (this artwork IS included in the package):

Example scene - 8 layers, snow, hollow terrain (cave tunel blended with terrain)

List of new features is quite long - refer to the most recent in-depth PDF documentation available here for full list and more info.

Video tutorial:
    First steps

Some of the RTP3.1 features:

Last edited: Dec 21, 2020
  2. John-G

John-G

Congrats with the release tomaszek - this is a spectacular product. All the success with it, well deserved.

RKeown3D and seansteezy like this.
  3. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Looks impressive :)

I've just looked at your documentation, brilliant job and nice video too. I think this will be an even bigger success than RTP2.

Thumbs up :)

4. goldencruz

goldencruz

is there going to be more tutorials explaining how to use the feature it has . from what I look into RTP there was very little.

5. metaleap

metaleap

Don't see any snow in that there demo though, no matter how I drag the slider.. just lettin you know, you know ;) Win7-64, Chrome, NvidiaQuadro, Forward Rendering

Last edited: Oct 23, 2013
  6. deantzy01

deantzy01

Looking great !!! this will help us alot

7. erana79

erana79

Really awesome!
    If i wanna grab this for 50$, i need to buy the current version (version 2) from the Assetstore, right?
    So this is basically an update to the available version, not a new asset?

8. UnityFS

UnityFS

Congrats on the release!! :)

9. tomaszek

tomaszek

sure I'll make. I have to take a little rest now... :)

it is - but high in the mountains :), I put snow level threshold higher so it doesn't start at sea level

Yes, it's free update to the current product, not new one. Grab it now for $50. When it's on assetstore it will be $65 first, because I told it would. But the product is so large it's still underpriced. Later I'll put it higher. Below $100 for sure, but can't tell exactly (I'm thinking) now.

Of course I'm grateful for positive feedback to everyone on this thread, but here I could also say - nice Avatar you've got Chris - wish you all the best with your UnityFS as I saw your physics are very good (and yes - Nat using his TC/WC made the demo scene top-notch with a little help of RTP3 package, too :) )

ATB, Tom

10. StevenP94

StevenP94

Hi Tom, how to get the upgrade ? Directly from AssetStore ?

11. erana79

erana79

Just bought it! Looking forward to V3!

12. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, you'll just download new version.

Tom

13. Hilxs

Hilxs

Hi

I don"t see, rtp 3 on the asset store, i see only rtp2. If i bought the rtp2 i should buy rtp3 ?

Sorry for my english, i am french.

14. Hilxs

Hilxs

okee, i did not see this
    "For this moment package is awaiting AssetStore staff approval - last chance to get it for as low as $50...
    "

15. VicToMeyeZR

VicToMeyeZR

That's some awesome stuff. Great job!

16. paulojsam

paulojsam

if a person starts using RTP 2 to texture an island, when RTP3 comes out, has to start from scratch again?

17. janpec

janpec

Caustic is really nice touch, it was impossible to have it done before with using of projectors on huge areas, now its ready to go:D

18. eagle555

eagle555

Yes RTP3 is amazing and fantastic! Best terrain rendering ever...by far...

Nathaniel

19. lazygunn

lazygunn

The only few times i used my copy of rtp2 were in just playing around seeing if I could make something pretty kind of circumstances and bloody hell they were pretty, this guy's a whizz at this stuff, well worth the money. I wish I had a project on that used this stuff! I'll be sure to engineer some excuse noone will complain about

20. tomaszek

tomaszek

No complains - that's what we're doing with Peter and help of Nathaniel, also larsbertram (this terrain ATS AFS guy) is contributing here. I can tell this will be probably one of the best looking Unity showcases...ever (it's said bold I know, but I just feel this is truth). Demoscene will use many new approaches to things that I would never imagine they can look that good in Unity...

21. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Looking exceptionally good, can't wait to try it out. Just bought RTP2 and eagerly waiting for the update. :)

A small question, though: is RTP relying on stock Unity terrain LoD system? One of my biggest gripes with the original system was extremely aggressive LoD switching, and while I may be missing something, I think there wasn't a way to configure it in any way.

22. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, it's based on Unity terrain (so Unity feeds my shaders with its meshes that are done in-fly). LOD switching - this popups and bothers sometimes a lot, but with RTP3 you could use lower pixelError settings and terrain still can look quite good at far distance, so maybe you can try to setup this the way LOD popping is minimized. Using global normalmap could also help because you woldn't see aggressive changes in lighting for popping parts (only geometry and mountain silhoutettes will aburptly change).

RTP can be also used on any mesh.

Tom

23. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Great to hear, thanks!

24. Becoming

Becoming

Hey Tom, i told you already but to make it official: Congratulations on getting v3 out of the door! You truly created the best terrain rendering toolset for unity and even in comparison to Cryengine3 RTPv3 does not need to hide!

What i like the most about RTP is that it adapts to any kind of workflow, be it with terrain composer or worldmachine or sculpted terrains, Unity terrain, mesh or voxel based everything is possible and a breeze to work with!! Oh and the performance is just awesome too!! Its so rich of cool features that i really can't name a favourite, they all rock!!

I can't hold myself back from posting some new pics from the upcoming demo:

$s1.jpg $s2.jpg $s3.jpg

Flurgle likes this.
  25. erana79

erana79

This is truly incredible. I hope V3 will be online soon.

26. EvilFox

EvilFox

Good work.
    I can hardly wait...

27. ChadH

ChadH

@Becoming -

OH MY !!!!
    These are truly amazing pics.
    I cannot wait for your demo to be released.
    Thank you for sharing.

28. eagle555

eagle555

Amazing screenshots Peter, can't wait to continue working with you on the demo after releasing the UnityFS/RTP3/TerrainComposer/WorldComposer demo.

RTP3 is something special indeed. It renders the closest detail on a terrain but also high in the sky on massive terrains, it's allround!. Comparison to cryengine indeed doesn't have to hide! The UnityFS demo has 900x900 km = 810000 km2 terrain now all with RTP3 doing the rendering.

$UnityFS7.jpg
    $UnityFS5.jpg

Last edited: Oct 25, 2013
  29. ChadH

ChadH

I gotta say this. You guys have ALL done a spectacular job with your respective assets. They are a tremendous compliment to each other and I truly believe that no one else creating assets has done anything close to what I have seen here.
    Thank you all for your assets and hard work.

30. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

Hi,

I'm playing with RTP2, that I've bought a couple of days ago, and I have an issue with lighting. When my directional light rotates, at certain angles the terrain near the camera goes very dark: screenshot, video.

It happens at all LOD levels except "classic". The terrains from the demos work fine, but this terrain was made from scratch and I can't find where is the difference. I use forward rendering and DX9.

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  31. Becoming

Becoming

Hi, i am not sure why this is happening but its clearly happening within the near distance... it seems that the normals are screwed(pointing in the wrong direction)... could it be that your normalmap is not marked as normalmap or just have completly wrong color? However, i think you should not dive too deep into RTP2 as v3 is just around the corner... Tom already submitted it to the assetstore a few days back so its really jst a matter of days... hopefully tomorrow its on the assetstore already :)

32. Hilxs

Hilxs

Hi

I use terrain composer, and rtp2. With terrain commposer i create 9 terrain and set all splat rtp. In terrain 1 in inspector i modify the value of relief terrain. But this work only on terrain 1.

How can i set all terrain 1's value to all terrain ?

Sorry to my english, i am french

33. Becoming

Becoming

Hi Hilxs! I think that is a feature new to RTPv3, so dont put too much work into adjusting RTP2 for now... but you can already use terrain composer to make all the distributionmaps etc. then you just replace RTP with the new version and can tweak it to be the most shiny terrain ever!! i hope that RTPv3 will hit the assetstore tomorrow...

I am just speaking for Tom here as he is a away for the weekend... i hope i got all the facts right ;) However, i know that it was submitted already a few days back, so the chance is good that it will be on the assetstore very soon!!

edit: this might be a good oportunity to grab this gem for the low price now! I am just a user and dont have any profit from promoting RTP, only to support Tom so he can continue making the best assets for unity!! It's my honest artist oppinion, there is nothing out there regardless of engine choice that can do the stuff RTPv3 can do. So really 100% recommendation from my side!

All the best,
    Peter

Last edited: Oct 27, 2013
  34. John-G

John-G

Any chance you'll be doing a video tutorial on the workflow that went into creating the Demo. bought all 4 Products in the hope of being able to do something even half as good as that in your screenshots for the demo and the massive terrain in the UnityFS demo.
    They are simply amazing indeed, alas my attempts completely fall short on getting anything going even on a 16km x 16km terrain.
    totally new to terrain's and Unity so its a tough learning curve, would be great to see what it takes to something of this scale. :)

mukki014 likes this.
  35. janpec

janpec

Wow eagle are those pictures from Unity? If so does that means that RTP pack has terrain welding technic too, or how are those numbers of height maps fit together on such huge terrain?

36. Hilxs

Hilxs

Thank you. i bought rtp2 there are 8 day ago :s so i am testing.

37. Becoming

Becoming

Thanks John! I'm glad you are interested in what we do!! I will try to make tutorials or just make a video explaining what steps to take... depending on my free time which is at the moment almost non existent...

video will take a while, however, if you have any specific questions i will try to answer!

38. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Janpec,

Yes these are screenshots directly from Unity. I made the terrains with TerrainComposer and WorldComposer, and I used RTPv3 on them for the rendering. RTP adds that extra quality that is unseen in Unity so far. I remember doing a screenshare with Tom some weeks ago about integrating TerrainComposer and RTPv3, we did a test with many terrain tiles and we had a frame rate of 8-10 fps on my PC. Since then Tom has been working around the clock to solve the fps issue and doing smart management of the shader code within RTPv3. And now the terrains run on my PC with 220 fps!!...It's truly amazing what Tom has created and adhieved for rendering quality...and to get this with such high performance...TOP NOTCH!

I use a technique of terrain tiles with different colormap and heightmap resolution and different terrain sizes. So stitching of terrains. You can see on my forum thread how I did the setup of the tiles in WorldComposer:

http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/15...ealistic-Unity-Terrain-in-just-minutes/page15

I must say I'm very happy and glad with the results so far, Peter also helped a lot with tweaking the graphics, it comes very close to photo realistic and the workflow with the combination of TC/WC with RTPv3, I can make such big terrain in less than a day now. And then the fun to be able to drag and drop a plane in it and have the most realistic flight physics and flying around is something Chris made possible with UnityFS :)...

39. janpec

janpec

Thank you very much for pointing me towards tools i need to use. I had no idea Terrain composer supports that massive terrains, seems like i underestimated that tool, or not read details properly. Now i have one additional question, if i use Terrain Composer can i use Skyshop terrain shader, or does shader has to be default from Unity or RTP pack one?
    Also it seem that using satelite images works perfectly i wonder it must be quite a heavier burden if you are creating terrains manually and stiching them up could be quite a problem, especially matching normal maps would not be possible unles edges are completly blured /flat. Will have to do some thinking ahead before getting into it.

Oh and what kind of tool are you using for volumetric clouds in your scene?

40. eagle555

eagle555

Hello Janpec,

You can use TerrainComposer with any terrain shader. But I recommend to use it with RTP3 as Tom did resolve a complicated issue regarding performance with multi terrains. Other terrain shaders will not be able to render massive terrains in Unity4 without loosing serious performance. Also RTP3 has a LODmanager where you can simply select the RTP features you want to use. So you can customize the shader to your needs. TerrainComposer is a terrain creation tool and it supports multi terrain for stitching heightmaps/splat textures, normal maps, colormaps, etc. All can be made very quick...And in the new version RTPv3 I made quick solutions. Like you can select the global normal and colormap with auto search, and it will assign them to every RTP script. So instead of draging and dropping 64x2 = 128 images for 8x8 terrain tiles...

If you have futher questions about TC you can ask on my thread ;).

I use a self tweaked version of Silverling for the clouds. I'm not so fund of it as it drops framerate with 50%, but my tweaks make it a lot better.

Nathaniel

41. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Looks amazing, bookmarked!

42. janpec

janpec

Thank you eagle, it will be hard decision for me, image lighting on terrain is very good feature, i am going to need to test both and compare. But as far as i see i certainly need Terrain composer which should be first step.

43. tomaszek

tomaszek

This definitely looks like classic issue with normalmap. When it's not marked as normalmap in its settings after putting this into RTP normal texture slot you'll experience something like this. I remember in RTP3 I check if normal texture used is marked as Normal and then I eventually set it automatically as "Normalmap" reporting as warning (yellow) log in console.

Tom

44. alexzzzz

alexzzzz

The normal map comes from Bitmap2Material. I have checked - it's marked as a normal map and looks ok. The same map is placed on the cube and capsule, they look fine no matter which shader I use ("Parallax Specular" or "Relief Pack/Bonus - BumpedSpecular&Snow"). I have tried other normal maps too - no difference.

If this dark area near the camera is not a well-known issue and you don't know the answer right now, I will just prefer to wait for RTP3.

45. Becoming

Becoming

Hey alexzzzz, from what i know there would be some things to check but i think its not worth bothering as RTPv3 should hit the store VERY soon if not already tomorrow.

I'll use the opportunity to post a few screens of some very nice features...

$t1.jpg $t2.jpg $t3.jpg

The 3rd and 4th picture(stone on the beach and campfire) shows, apart from other cool stuff like parallax occlusion mapping with selfshadowing, the meshblending feature. Very cool to have objects sunken in the sand, treetunks blended with the terrain or even overhanging cliffs and caves in the terrain. This is a very versatile feature and if you are interested to learn more about it take a look at the docs(check the first post).

The last pic shows the water on the terrain, in this case on the shoreline. The waves spill water onto the terrain and it will run down the slope again(considering the surfacenormal) and even take the heightmaps of the detailtextures into account. So the water will be deeper in the crevices, also it will be absorbed by the ground to some extent, darken the textures and increase the specularity/reflectivity. Not really visible on the screenshot, the water is even refracting. There are many more features to it, so again, check the docs in the first post if you are curious to know more.

All the best,
    Peter

Flurgle likes this.
  46. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Now that you have mentioned caves: there is an option to make holes in the terrain available, right? Or it's done the old fashioned way of making an enormous hole covered with a model containing the cave or underground complex with a piece of the surface on top?

CryENGINE had a very handy eraser tool that let you cut the quads from the terrain surface (probably not removing them per se, but rendering them invisible/non-collidable) which was extremely useful for accommodating stuff like buildings with low interior floors or cellars, sewers, bunker entrances etc. into a terrain.

47. Becoming

Becoming

The old fashioned way works of course as you can cover holes with the meshblending tools quite conviniently and without any visible transition. But, and this i have not tested yet, there is a shader with RTP that can make the terrain invisible on a blended mesh(just paint some triangles on the terrain and assign this shader), you could then make a cave mesh and blend it with the terrain. To make it possible to walk through the terrain collider you just need to handle the collision layer when the player is inside a trigger collider... Thats how i would do it, i have not tested it but i see no reason why it should not work...

Last edited: Oct 28, 2013
  48. norby

norby

Hi Becoming

Your work is fantastic , it reminds me a bit at the time wen i was playing Myst en Riven
    long time ago. At that time i was wondering when we ever would reach the point to have this detail in real time.
    i think you just did that. The shader is super . Tomaszek did a great Job

Cheers

Norby

49. bac9-flcl

bac9-flcl

Any news on Asset Store release? Reviewers are sure taking their time with it, it seems.

50. tomaszek

tomaszek

Yes, you're not the one awaiting. Let's hope AssetStore guys reviewing process take so long because they just sit down and play with all new cool RTP3 features :). It's a week today, so I hope this will be available soon.

Mean time I guess somebody may find this screenshots interesting (RMB+Show Image to get bigger version). First shows complementary lighting in RTP3 as I see most users are nowadays quite concerned about modern lighting solutions for their environments:

I would say that at some point RTP3+ version could introduce IBL, but there are problems with surface shaders (lacking free interpolators) to get INTERNAL_DATA in their Input struct. Solution could be not using pure surf shaders, but compiled and tweaked, however it would break some opportunities to configure RTP shaders in its LODmanager that easy.

To sweeten waiting time, let's take a look at snow coverage screenshots for incoming relelase:

@bac9-fcl: Cutting holes in terrain is quite easy to do in shader (we might agree that a dedicated layer could be used for this - so you paint a layer that makes "holes"), but to avoid some nasty transparent shadowing issues I would say that most practical would be using cutout version. Then you can easily work on your cave entrance using geom blend to hide its hard cut entrance. And for such feature I've got a plan :) to benefit RTP3 users that would post some nice RTP3 screenshots on separate thread. Would give them some bonus stuff like shader that is used on island demo (not yet introduced on screenshots) to make nice rock cracks on geom blend surfaces for mountain slopes. Or such hole-cut RTP shader version with script for enabling disabling terrain collider at cave entrance. In time such solution would be part of next RTP3 updates I guess, but as I know AssetStore reviewing tempo it's often quicker to provide a user with custom solution on request than waiting for AssetStore update....

Tom

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013