Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Device unique identifier or mac address

Discussion in 'BlackBerry' started by McKrackeN, Oct 18, 2013.

1. McKrackeN

McKrackeN

Hi all!

We have a problem accessing the device unique identifier or the mac address in BlackBerry devices. Both returns an empty string. Is this a bug that we have to report?

Thanks!

2. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Yes please submit that as a bug. That should be working and would need to be looked into if it is not.

3. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Is there an ETA on this issue, I'm using the latest version of Unity and the unique Id still appears to be blank.

Thanks,

Jon

4. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Do you have the case number for the bug report handy?

5. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Alas no, McKrackeN logged the issue I assumed following your comment above, but ultimately you just use:

SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier

And it's empty...I can log a bug if you like though?

Thanks,

Jon

6. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Oh, I've found a thread relating to this and apparently it's an issue blackberrys end... :(

7. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

8. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Ah, that's the problem. In the "other settings" section of the player settings there is a checkbox for "Device Identification". This will add the permission setting for asking/obtaining the unique HW identifier for the phone. We do not have this enabled by default it is an "opt in" feature. :)

9. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Alex,

I can confirm this is definitely an issue with Unitys implementation.

SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier return a two character string which is Unicode and is consistent. What I think is happening is Unity is parsing deviceinfo_identifying_details_get_pin(..); return value as a 2 Unicode string, but it's represented by BlackBerry as a hex string.

deviceinfo_identifying_details_get_pin(..); does return an int, which is then normally converted using QString::number(pinValue, 16); I've successfully wrote a plugin which returns the pin correctly if you want the source code, the returned value matches the format shown in the blackberry settings.

Incidentally if you get the bytes of the SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier, I don't think they match the original pin, so I think something is getting lost.

Thanks,

Jon

10. TuesdayNinja

TuesdayNinja

Unity Technologies

Jonny -

Did you file a bug? If so, could you PM me the number? Just want to make sure it doesn't get lost in the shuffle.

If you didn't, could you do so? I've tried to repro this by attaching

Code (csharp):
    1. Debug.Log(SystemInfo.deviceUniqueIdentifier);
    to a GUIButton but I'm only getting McKracken's error (blank output). I'd be very interested to see how you got the characters; it could help us solve this puppy.

Thanks,

11. Extrawurst

Extrawurst

12. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Hi Adam, I'll go one better I'll file a bug report with not only the code to show you the chars, but also one that includes my plugin to get the actual device Id so you can be sure when it's working as expected. By the way the chars will not come out in a GUI control or in the debug.Log as they come out as high end Unicode that just display as odd blobs...but they appear as blanks in the GUI / Debug. So you have read the chars and output the byte values instead to see something is actually in there.

13. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Yep this was indeed broken. I've found a fix for this. I'll let you all know when I know which release this fix is going to be in.

14. sumitsharma

sumitsharma

Here by these methods you can find Mac Address on your BlackBerry:

From the home screen, select Setup > Options > Device > Device and Status Information.
    The WLAN MAC field displays the MAC address for the smartphone.

15. Extrawurst

Extrawurst

Nice, So you suggest I prompt my customers to copy/paste their MAC address from there by them selfs ? :D

16. Jonny-Roy

Jonny-Roy

Extrawurst, if you need to get the blackberry pin, I'll happily send you my plugin. Just let me know.

Thanks,

Jon

17. AlexThibodeau

AlexThibodeau

Unity Technologies

Hey all, 4.3.1 has the fix for this and a serial number will be returned now instead of a blank string. :)

18. geniuscd

geniuscd

Hey All , I just tested what the "deviceUniqueIdentifier" returns and happy to share this.
    on iOS it will return a unique string every-time you removed the app from your iOS device.
    if you rebuilt the xcode project, without removing your app from the iphone, the same previous "deviceUniqueIdentifier" is returned.