Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[RELEASED] Dialogue System for Unity - easy conversations, quests, and more!

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by TonyLi, Oct 12, 2013.

1. TonyLi

TonyLi

This is just an FYI. dreamlarp let me know that the current versions of DFGUI and UFPS conflict with each other. The Dialogue System is compatible with both, but we can't control whether DFGUI and UFPS play well with each other. I suspect they'll fix the conflict soon, but if you're in a hurry dreamlarp suggested using NGUI with UFPS.

2. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

They recently posted some updated scripts on the DFGUI site. I think it was how he was using reflection in two of his inspector scripts. The next version will have the fixes integrated but you can go update now if needed. I'm using UFPS with DFGUI fine after the fixes.

3. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great thank you. good to know. I bought and wanted to use these three together.

4. TonyLi

TonyLi

5. TonyLi

TonyLi

Version 1.1.0 has been submitted to the Asset Store and is available for immediate download on the Pixel Crushers website. For access to the customer download page, please PM me with your invoice number.

Support for articy:draft was postponed until 1.1.1 based on tester requests for a few additional features. I didn't want to delay the release of 1.1.0 because it's already packed with a lot of new features and content and a few bug fixes:

Version 1.1.0 Release Notes

General:
    • New: Added Quest Trigger and Set Quest State On Dialogue Event (see Triggers).
    • New: Added Allow Only One Instance checkbox to Dialogue Manager settings; if checked, it enforces singleton behavior.
    • New: Added Allow Alerts During Conversations checkbox to Dialogue Manager display settings.
    • Fixed: Lua.Run().AsInt/Float can now also convert string values if they represent valid numbers.
    • Fixed: Automatic monitoring of Variable["Alert"] was disabled; now re-enabled.
    • Fixed: Improved the display of multiple alerts shown in rapid succession before the previous has fully faded.
    • Fixed: Parsing bug in dialogue entries containing multiple [lua()] tags.
    User Interfaces
    • New: Added Unity Dialogue UI "Circle".
    • New: Added Unity Dialogue UI "Sci-fi" and accompanying quest log window.
    • New: (2D Toolkit) Added 2D Toolkit UI support for dialogue UIS and bark UIs.
    • New: (Daikon Forge) Added bark UI implementation for Daikon Forge GUI.
    • New: (Daikon Forge) Added Daikon Forge GUI Dialogue UI "Fantasy".
    • New: Added option to auto-size Unity GUI labels and buttons to exactly fix their content.
    • Change: Refactored common code in dialogue UI systems into an abstract class. Updated Unity Dialogue UI system to use this; if you have a custom UI, you may need to relink the control properties on your Unity Dialogue UI component. The NGUI and Daikon Forge UI systems will be updated in the next release.
    Gameplay Integration
    • New: (Realistic FPS Integration) Added LuaOnDestroy to facilitate kill counts/quests.
    • Change: (Realistic FPS Integration) Replaced RemoveWeaponHandler with more flexible FPSLuaBridge, also tracks hit points, hunger, thirst, and weapons.
    • Change: (Realistic FPS Integration) Updated example scene with additional quests and conversations.
    • Change: (UFPS Integration) FPSyncLuaPlayerOnConversation replaces FPSyncLuaInventoryOnConversation, also tracks health, handles inventory more robustly.
    • Change: (UFPS Integration) FPPersistentPlayerData replaces FPPersistentPositionData, also saves and loads health and inventory.

As always, if you have any questions or feedback, please PM, email, or contact me on the website any time.

6. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you for the tutorial. Will MySQL support be in the next update?

7. TonyLi

TonyLi

Probably not in the very next update, but in a future update. The next update is going to focus on articy:draft support, since I'm behind schedule on releasing that. In the meantime, you could look into a third party solution like Combu. I haven't used it, but it looks like it might meet your needs. Or, if you're looking for a free solution and you don't mind writing a little code, you could follow this tutorial: http://www.codeproject.com/Articles/43438/Connect-C-to-MySQL

8. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you but I am thinking more of cloud save since I have
    BFS Google Play Game Services plugin.
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/186087-BFS-Google-Play-Game-Services-Plugin

Reading through the google development docs and with him adding multiplayer soon this looks like the best option for the game I am making.
    Once he does implement multiplayer you might want to look into making this kit support his like you did with many other plugins.

But having mysql support will add to your kit so later yes add this.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2013
  9. TonyLi

TonyLi

Thanks for pointing me to that plugin. I'll add it to the roadmap for the Dialogue System!

10. TopThreat

TopThreat

Hi,

Does this have any integration with Mecanim?

Thanks,

Lee

11. TonyLi

TonyLi

Absolutely. The Dialogue System supports legacy and Mecanim animation. Quests, conversation trees, barks, UIs, and the save/load system aren't pertinent to animation, but cutscene sequences certainly are. You can define a cutscene sequence for every line of dialogue. The sequence can control the camera, audio, game objects, and of course animation (and more). For Mecanim, you can change the runtime controller, smoothly change layer weights, and smoothly change parameters (Boolean, Integer, and Float) over time. You can also extend the sequencer with your own custom commands if you want it to do something not already covered by the built-in commands documented here:

URL="http://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue_system/manual/html/sequencer_commands.html#sequencerCommandAnimatorController"]Sequencer Command Reference[/URL]

12. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Can this system send players with their saved values to a specific scene via the menu? I.E. can i make a menu of scenes for players to choose from and have different saved values specific to the scene be passed onto that scene?

13. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes, but it's more dependent on your gameplay framework than on the Dialogue System. In this scenario, the Dialogue System is just acting as a repository for some values. You can get those values using Lua.Run() or the equivalent PlayMaker action.

The Lua environment is global. It's not scene-specific. But you can certainly add Lua variables that you only touch in one scene.

14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Thank you thats what I was looking for.

15. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Hey Toni :)

Just wondering, any info on the next update?

Need any new ideas?

-Sean

16. TonyLi

TonyLi

I always welcome ideas! Send them my way any time. :)

The big feature in the upcoming 1.1.1 is articy:draft support. It also has some smaller additions such as:
    • A new checkbox in the Dialogue Manager to always force the response menu. Currently you use the "[f]" tag to force the menu even if there's only one response, which is the way Chat Mapper works.
    • Extra timeout options if you've enabled a timer on the response menu.

17. TonyLi

TonyLi

Someone emailed a question about voice acted lines. I thought I'd add the answer here in case others have the same question.
    Yes. The Dialogue System was originally developed for a Mass Effect-style project, so support for voice acting was a core design feature. The Zombie demo (viewable at http://www.pixelcrushers.com/dialogue-system-demos/) has voice acted lines. It also has subtitles, but in your project you can turn them off with a checkbox or a Boolean in script.

The Dialogue System doesn't analyze audio or generate lip sync animation. You'll need to use something like FaceFX or Mixamo's FacePlus for that. In the Dialogue System, you can associate a cutscene sequence with every line of dialogue. (If you're using localization, you can associate sequences for each language, too.) The sequence can play audio, animation, move the camera, etc. If you're using FaceFX or FacePlus to generate FBX animations, your sequence would simply kick off the audio and FBX animation. If you're using FaceFX's XML curves, you'll be able to kick off the whole thing with a single FaceFX command that's included in the upcoming version (1.1.1). You can also set up the whole thing in a scrubbing sequencer like uSequencer and run the uSequencer sequence with a single command. The cutscene sequencer is extendable, so you can add new functionality to do it however you want.

18. TonyLi

TonyLi

Patch 1.1.0b is available to Dialogue System customers for immediate download on the Pixel Crushers customer download page. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number. This patch includes these bug fixes and new features, which will also be included in the upcoming 1.1.1 full release:
    • New: Dialogue Manager Display Settings checkbox "Always Force Response Menu".
    • New: Dialogue Manager Display Settings option on response menu timeout to choose first response or end conversation.
    • New: If response menu times out, a message OnConversationTimeout() is sent to all components on the Dialogue Manager object. You can add a script that listens for this message if you want to do additional processing on timeout.
    • New: Set Component Enabled On Dialogue Event trigger component (available in menu; works on renderers and colliders).
    • Enhancement: Several enhancements to the dialogue database editor.
    • Fixed: Group nodes now show NPC subtitles properly.
    • Fixed: Unticking Dialogue Manager Display Settings "Display NPCSubtitle With Responses" now works.
    • 2D Toolkit Integration: Updated to support OnConversationTimeout(). Re-import the package.
    • NGUI and DF-GUI UIs don't yet support OnConversationTimeout(), but they will in the 1.1.1 release.
    It's just a patch, so please import it on top of your existing Dialogue System folder.

19. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Really Great Project..

Q1: Can Dialogue scripts/code be loaded during run-time.

Q2: Can Lua be used to affect AI behaviours ?

Q3: Does Lua work on all Unity platform? Mobile IOS, Android ? WebPlayer?

Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  20. TonyLi

TonyLi

Hi, rocki. Yes. You can use PlayMaker actions or, in code, the DialogueManager's AddDatabase() and RemoveDatabase() methods to add and remove dialogue databases containing additional conversations, sequences, and quests.

Yes. That's a rather open-ended question, so it's hard to answer completely. Here are just a few ways you can affect AI behaviour using the Dialogue System:
    • Make characters say different things during conversations based on Lua variable values (e.g., using the relationship/status system, or counters such as number of enemies killed).
    • Set Lua variables that your AI behaviours then read and act on. The Ultimate FPS and Realistic FPS support packages demonstrate how you can change health and inventory in conversations and have that reflected in the gameplay environment.
    • Activate/deactivate objects and enable/disable components on AI objects at any point in the conversation -- for example, enable or disable a specific AI behaviour component.
    • SendMessage() to any object, which can then respond to it however you design.
    I'm sure you could come up with more; these are just a few off the top of my head.

It's tested on Android, WebPlayer, Mac, and Windows. I believe some customers are also developing on iOS with it, too. It's designed to be cross-platform compatible, so it doesn't use an weird or nonstandard reflection tricks or anything like that.

21. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

"Hi, rocki. Yes. You can use PlayMaker actions or, in code, the DialogueManager's AddDatabase() and RemoveDatabase() methods to add and remove dialogue databases containing additional conversations, sequences, and quests."

Cool. Say I have a chatMapper project with dialogue,pics and lua code on a server and I would like to pull this into the game during the game during run-time, is something like this possible?

"It's tested on Android, WebPlayer, Mac, and Windows. I believe some customers are also developing on iOS with it, too. It's designed to be cross-platform compatible, so it doesn't use an weird or nonstandard reflection tricks or anything like that."

The reason I asked is that a few months ago I tried Koppi Lua on IOS and it didn't work for some reason due to the AOT issue. Could you check to see if it's working on IOS without problem?

Edit: Can I use another Lua interpreter instead of Koppi. I found UniLua which is made for Unity3d.

http://lua-users.org/wiki/LuaImplementations
    https://github.com/xebecnan/UniLua

"UniLua - A pure C# implementation of Lua 5.2 focus on compatibility with Unity3D.
    Being used in commercial MMORPG game development. "

Cheers.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  22. TonyLi

TonyLi

Yes. The Dialogue System works with DialogueDatabase asset files. You'd want to use the Dialogue System's tool to convert your Chat Mapper project into a DialogueDatabase first. In version 1.1.1, you'll also be able convert articy:draft projects into DialogueDatabases. And of course you can create and edit DialogueDatabases directly in Unity, too.

DialogueManager.AddDatabase(database), and its equivalent PlayMaker action, accept a DialogueDatabase object as its parameter. You can get it from anywhere -- a server, an asset bundle, a file on disk, etc. Since DialogueDatabases are ScriptableObjects, they're also very easy to load from a project build using Resources.Load().

No one has identified any issues so far (it's actually George Foot's Kopiluainterface), and the Dialogue System doesn't do any runtime code generation, so it shouldn't be a problem. But I'll confirm that it works on iOS and let you know for sure. If there are any issues, I'll swap it out with NLua, which is a branch of KopiLua that definitely works with iOS. I'd hesitate to use UniLua because it's very new, sparsely commented (often a red flag), and browsing through the repository I'm not sure their battery of tests is comprehensive. I'm not knocking UniLua. I commend them for working on their open source project. But I just need to make sure that Lua is going to be stable for all Dialogue System users.

However, you could swap in a different Lua implementation yourself by replacing a single class. The Dialogue System uses a bridge class named Lua to isolate the Lua implementation. In fact, the original, pre-published version of the Dialogue System used Liu Junfeng's LuaInterpreter. I swapped it out for Kopiluainterface since it's pretty much the de facto standard for Unity development (as much as any Lua implementation is). The drawback of modifying the Lua bridge class yourself is that the example prefabs, including the prebuilt user interfaces, are all built using the precompiled DLLs. If you remove the DLLs and compile from source code, you'll have to relink all the prefabs because they'll lose their connections to the scripts.

23. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity 1.1.1 has just been released with long-anticipated articy:draft support!

It should be available on the Asset Store in about 7 days. It's also available for immediate download on our customer download web page. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.

New in version 1.1.1:
    • New: articy:draft Converter.
    • New: FaceFX support and FaceFX() sequencer command.
    • New: Added ability to set watches on Lua expressions and quest states.
    • New: Added notification of conversation lines and response menu timeouts.
    • New: Added Dialogue Manager Display Settings checkbox Always Force Response Menu.
    • New: Added Dialogue Manager Display Settings pop-up to specify default action on response menu timeout.
    • New: Added Set Component Enabled On Dialogue Event trigger (control colliders and renderers).
    • Improved: Several enhancements to the dialogue database editor interface.
    • Changed: Daikon Forge UI code was refactored to use the new common abstract base. If you have a custom DF-GUI UI, you may need to reassign its controls. Daikon Forge UI now also shows and hides controls using dfControl.Show/Hide instead of deactivating game objects.
    • Fixed: Group nodes now show subtitle reminders properly.
    • Fixed: Bug where NPC subtitle reminder was still shown even when display setting was unticked.
    • Fixed: (Realistic FPS Prefab) In Happy Robot example conversation, now only shows option to give katana if player has one.

@rocki - Our iOS hardware is scheduled for Wednesday delivery. I'll post iOS support confirmation to this thread soon thereafter.

24. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity currently supports Unity 4.2.1+.

I'd like to target Unity 4.3.1+ in the next release.

Do any current customers have any concerns about this? The current version 1.1.1 will still be available on the private customer download page if you're locked into a version of Unity older than 4.3.1.

25. TonyLi

TonyLi

A couple small bug fixes are available on the customer download page:
    • Fixed: Using Daikon Forge GUI or 2D Toolkit UI, if the first subtitle in the first conversation is a group node, the subtitle’s color was (0,0,0,0).
    • Fixed: Bark Triggers weren’t working properly on third-party objects; they assumed the trigger was on the barker itself.
    If you need access to the customer download page, please PM me your Asset Store invoice number.

26. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

27. TonyLi

TonyLi

28. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great!!
    I think the global variable system will work great your kit plus there are a large amount of settings that will work great with your quest system. Take a look at it.

29. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I'm a lua noob, does anyone have examples of how to get output from the lua console? I've been trying to use it to test system variables with print statements but that doesn't seem to do anything though it doesn't produce an error code either (e.g. print (Actor['Player'].Name)). I can change variables but no go reading them.

30. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Lua Console doesn't trap standard output. Instead, it displays the return value of the Lua expression. So just use:
    Code (csharp):
    1. return Actor['Player'].Name
    Note: In the upcoming version 1.1.2, table (i.e., array) return values will report information about the table. Through version 1.1.1, the console just reports "table" to indicate that it returned a table value.

31. TonyLi

TonyLi

The Dialogue System for Unity 1.1.2 has just been released!!

It should be available on the Asset Store in about 7 days. It's also available for immediate download on our customer download web page. If you need access, please PM me your invoice number.

New in version 1.1.2:
    • New: Added Range Trigger to enable objects components in range (e.g., only bark when player is near).
    • New: Added StartConversation(title) for conversations in which neither actor nor conversant has a transform.
    • New: Added Quest[] as alias for Lua table Item[].
    • New: Added articy:draft Feature Demo example.
    • Improved: Lua Console prints more info about table return values, now has a close button and scrollable output.
    • Improved: Dialogue database editor visual enhancements in Item/Quest foldout.
    • Updated: NGUI integration updated to support NGUI 3's new dynamic fonts; NGUI 2.x support is still provided but will no longer be actively developed.
    • Fixed: (Daikon Forge GUI) When the first dialogue entry of the first conversation was a group node, the subtitle color was set to (0,0,0,0).
    • Fixed: (2D Toolkit UI) When the first dialogue entry of the first conversation was a group node, the subtitle color was set to (0,0,0,0).
    • Fixed: Bark Triggers weren't working on third-party objects, only if the trigger was on the barking character.

32. pneill

pneill

Has anyone tested the articy draft support? Would love some input from Articy users feedback here.

33. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

The last few updates have made this asset work really well for old school dialogue and cut scenes. Even though our game is first person to try to scale back the art requirements we are doing the dialogue with just 2D portraits and text. I dunno if that style will seem odd to people, but the dialogue system works well for managing it.

For more active scenes it is easy to have a few DF Texture Sprites sliding in as conversations begin for backgrounds. If you wanted to get more elaborate it wouldn't be hard to throw in animated sprites or particle effects on top of it all. You can use lua observers to trigger them by incrementing a lua value setup for it when you want to change the effect. I've been doing that for background changes or transitions though there might be a better way to handle it.

34. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'd love some feedback, too. :) The next release (1.1.3) includes a complete rendering of the Feature Demo scene in an articy:draft project. It works great for me, but I'm not what you would call an articy:draft power user. I contemplated also including a template project but, unlike Chat Mapper, articy:draft is so freeform and general-purpose that a Dialogue System-specific template wouldn't really add any value.

Sounds like the style will work well. I'm looking forward to seeing it some time! Does your project have a blog or website?

Lua observers are a good approach. You could also listen for OnConversationStart and OnConversationEnd messages. They're currently sent to the participants in the conversation, but in the next release they'll also be sent to the Dialogue Manager / DialogueSystemController object. You could also use the SendMessage() sequencer command in any dialogue entry's Sequence to send a message anywhere.

35. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I am looking into articy:draft now. I like it better than chatmapper so far.

36. EmeralLotus

EmeralLotus

Any news on Mobile support on IOS.

37. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Not yet that is something I need to get to. I'll post a video in the thread soon so there's an example of these assets working together.

Tiny bug: In the daikon follow script it'll pop the bark text if you are looking exactly away from the follow object in first person. My quick fix was just to toss
    Code (csharp):
    1. if (viewportPos.z < 0) {
    2.      return;
    3. }
    after line 35 though fooling around with bark UI is something else on my list.

38. TonyLi

TonyLi

What version of articy:draft are you using? I'm trying to get an idea of what version most users will be using. The Dialogue System's importer supports articy:draft 1 and 2, but there are some big feature differences between them. Articy:draft 1 doesn't have variables, for example. Nevigo sells an SE edition on Steam that's articy:draft 1, although you can upgrade to articy:draft 2 as DLC on Steam. The example project included in the next release of the Dialogue System is built for articy:draft 2 in order to support quest variables.

Sorry for the delay on this. Shipment of my iOS platform was delayed. I'm supposed to receive the hardware by the end of the week. I'll give it top priority as soon as the hardware arrives.

Thanks! I'll put this in the next release.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  39. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

I picked up the steam version of Articy and the DLC much cheaper during the recent steam sale. It'll probably be on sale again in a few weeks for the winter sale if people are considering it. I haven't gotten around to digging into it yet though hopefully later this week.

Is there a default way to get dialogue to pause for any player input at the end of each dialogue box? I know I could do it manually by structuring everything "Dialogue Box" "Player: Continue" "Dialogue Box" but I was curious if there was a more streamlined method.

40. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Great news. If you can please post when it does go back on sale. Looking it over it is a must have.

41. TonyLi

TonyLi

Not yet. The code to do this is actually written and tested. I didn't include it because I wasn't sure anyone wanted it. I can put it in the next release. It adds support for an optional "close" button in subtitle panels. If a close button is assigned to the UI, it will wait until the button is clicked, rather than going straight to the next line/response menu at the end of the cutscene sequence. Would that solution work for you?

42. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Would that close button be able to be called from script? That'd work so I could have both an advance button and during conversation I could map input to advance through conversation as well (gotta let impatient people skip through everything).

Also, if you change line 35 in DaikonForgeBarkUI to be "dfFontBase" instead of dfFont that lets you select either a bit mapped font or a dynamic (ttf) font for the label text.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  43. thedreamer

thedreamer

if i use Dialogue System with "UniRPG.. Does get good results?

I wonder compatibility of UniRPG and Dialogue system

UniRPG and Dialogue system pay attention to the most

44. TonyLi

TonyLi

I'll make sure you can call it from script. The close button is displayed as soon as the subtitle starts, so impatient people can click is right away if they want. BTW, you can already set a cancel key and/or cancel button in the Dialogue Manager. If the player presses cancel during a subtitle, it skips to the end of the subtitle. (When skipping, the Dialogue System runs all sequence commands marked "required" to make sure it ends up in the state the author expects.) If the player presses cancel during the response menu, it ends the conversation. The close button does the exact same thing during subtitles.

Thanks! I'll add that to the next release.

I'll look into this and let you know soon.

45. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

In my input script during conversation I disable any action keys (e.g. attack, skill use, etc) and the idea is that any of them if pressed skips through conversation blocks rather than highlighting a certain key as cancel.

Also, I noticed in the demos the conversations write out one letter at a time (e.g. like a typewriter) while my DF-GUI conversations spit out as a single block. Is that a DF-GUI thing or did I configure something wrong? Setting "Subtitle Chars Per Second" doesn't seem to affect it.

46. TonyLi

TonyLi

The close button sends a message to the UI. Your action keys could send the same message.

The typewriter effect is a per-GUI-system MonoBehaviour, and not specific to the Dialogue System UI. NGUI and the Dialogue System's Unity GUI system have it. In NGUI and Unity GUI, you just add it to any text label and it plays the effect. I'll add typewriter effect scripts for DF-GUI and 2D Toolkit UI to the roadmap.

47. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Sorry for the delay. I was only checking out the free version. I am waiting for the sale on steam. I will get the draft 2 though as I will need the variable feature. My team has grown quite a bit in the last few weeks so I have been busy with the new people but I will start checking it out more now that I have them settled. BTW we are using this kit with RPG 2 kit. http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/169167-RPG-Kit-2-0
    It looks like there will not be any conflicts but we will need a lot more tests. I will let you know how it works out.

48. TonyLi

TonyLi

Sounds good! If you have any questions or issues with the articy:draft importer or integration with RPG Kit 2.0, post here or PM me any time.

49. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

First things first if the RPG Kit 2. It has a built in quest system but I think we can combine the use of his with yours.

50. Silly_Rollo

Silly_Rollo

Thanks. Nice to have another feature in the default package.

Here's a rough prototype video of my game with some DS stuff. The first minute or so in town is using DS conversation windows. All just nonsense test stuff and using concept art + google image for the background but I thought some of ya'll might find it interesting to see DS integrated into someone's game.