Search Unity

No Chance For Flash?

Discussion in 'Flash' started by atmuc, Oct 11, 2013.

1. atmuc

atmuc

i know this discussed many times, some people is very happy about unity quit flash. there any many users that uses flash for simple games. i am working for a bank and for simple applications we cannot ask customers to install unity web player. flash is not just for gaming. also unity is not just for gaming. i think flash addon is better than blackberry addon. for android it requires recent cpu, it is not like it can uses iphone 3gs on ios. iphone 3gs is very old but unity export can use it. so there limitations on all platforms.

is there no chance to get flash from unity? is it possible to implement reflection api? or can be an asset that complement current version?

2. atmuc

atmuc

ok, i see, everyone quit flash.

3. Ammarz

Ammarz

Well, what choice do we have when Adobe themselves quit flash and killing it completely by not opening it! nope not steve jobs he was just right. I bet Unity invested in the flash compiler more than adobe did invest for the whole stage3d thing making absolute magic out of low budget garbage, I know this because I was deep into flash and just saw how horribly adobe handled it and brought it to extinction.
    On the bright side we now have Unity a true masterpiece backed by a dedicated, and passionate team.

4. atmuc

atmuc

for 3d high end web games it is ok that flash cannot handle it. but for simple 3d and all 2d games flash addon would be perfect.as i said flash is not just for gaming. also unity is not just for gaming. it would nice to have working flash addon for simple web projects.

5. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Yes.

It's absolutely dead. If you want to advance, use HTML 5 and modern standards. Or even Javascript. Stop kidding yourself and move on - it's the fastest way to be ready for when flash stops kicking in a few years.

6. atmuc

atmuc

my problem is; i don't want to learn new platform like HTML5 :) also few years are few years, so it is not tomorrow :) i must do something for today and today many many people has flash installed their computers. at least i will check udk flash export. if it will easy i will use simple things there.

7. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I understand - your clients will use flash. In Turkey, flash is still a fairly big deal and people like to use it perhaps? If so you can also consider something like http://www.monkeycoder.co.nz/ - monkey. It exports to flash, html5, ios etc and is perfect for 2D or simpler 3D titles. Don't be fooled by the childish website, it is by Mark Sibly, a world-class programmer and developer for decades and built from the experience of Blitz.

I recommend it if you are into using a dialect of basic, it is fast and efficient - might be good if you want a more traditional multi platform path and you are ok with a basic-like language.

8. atmuc

atmuc

Yes, In Turkey, bank customers generally use Flash. i cannot blame them because we do not expect them being a gamer :) i will prepare banking mobile application usage demo as both flash and video. if i use html 5 it will make no differences as to use unity webplayer because not everyone uses html 5 supported browsers. thanks for the link, i will try it. also i will examine this; http://www.yogurt3d.com/ . my friend works there. in the past this company told to unity for making flash export. as i see this company and udk go on flash with stage3d. i hope these 2 companies force adobe to invest flash more, because i cannot force my CEO to use Unity Webplayer :)

9. davedev

davedev

Flash is not dead. With 99% desktop browser presentation and an app solution for mobile devices, its going to be around for a while. Its going to be some time before HTML5 and javascript truly compete with all the features of Flash as a tool and delivery platform. On the other hand, its not a bad idea for Unity to kill the Flash plugin because it takes a tremendous amount of development effort for something that is a secondary market for Unity. Adobe might not be making the best decisions about Flash, but if you look at history, it takes a really long time for something with the momentum of Flash to truly die.

10. Sanders-Alex

Sanders-Alex

I myself am a flash developer since 2003. In connection with the agitation for html5, I still want to buy a version of Unity with Flash

11. iddqd

iddqd

isn't flash supposed to be dead already by now? i mean, the whole apple vs flash debate was in 2010.

it can surely only be a matter of months until unity supports html5 export, now that html5 is mature enough.

12. atmuc

atmuc

i did this with Flash export;

http://www.atmuc.com/iscep/

i could not use most of assets that i have. they are not compatible with Flash export. i believe Flash owner count is higher that html 5 browser owner count. so to make simple projects like i did Unity Flash addon is great. i don't want to learn Flash Builder and don't want to pay for it. if Unity completed reflection implementation for Flash addon, it would be nice.

13. Mauri

Mauri

14. RalphH

RalphH

Administrator

Just an FYI, "finishing reflection" (for 4.x we stated no reflection support) won't happen. We discontinued the sales of Flash and new feature implementation isn't going to happen for our platform. The reasoning for discontinuation of sales (and subsequent removal, after Unity 4) is summed up in the blogpost.

15. atmuc

atmuc

i know it is discontinued and i read the blog at the first day it is published. but i cannot understand reasons :) blog says Adobe cancelled something but i could not find it. i wonder what exactly Adobe cancelled? unreal engine go on with Flash. i accept that Flash use more Resources than Unity Web Player. i do not expect Flash to run console quality game. does Unity expect Blackberry be more successful platform than Flash?

16. jcarpay

jcarpay

+1 and rather disappointed Unity HQ has still not provided us with any info regarding this "exciting new Unity web publishing initiative"...
    Also, what about existing Flash customers. To what can they upgrade to in the future? Is it a loss of investment? A bit more understanding towards your customers would be appreciated.

Last edited: Nov 26, 2013
  17. Deleted User

Deleted User

18. atmuc

atmuc

scaleform talks about Flash but i could not find anything Flash export.

19. LaneFox

LaneFox

A while back didn't UT make an official post on how Adobe is not sufficiently interested in the future of flash to merit Unity supporting it and how the future of flash is currently quite bleak?

20. Deleted User

Deleted User

It allows you to get flash into an engine, you would still have to export as Unity Webplayer. Sorry I can't be of any more help, this is the only way I could think of as Unity are done with flash.