Search Unity

Randomation Vehicle Physics, Supports Cars, Bikes, Monowheels, and More

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by JustInvoke, Oct 8, 2013.

1. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

This asset has been removed from the asset store in favor of RVP 2.0. Support will end on January 1st, 2016.

Check out RVP 2.0 for Unity 5, with scripts in both C# and JS!

Web Player Demo

Page on my site with more info

Wiki for Documentation

Asset Store Link

Alternate Asset Store Link

Support E-mail

Features

- Supports any number of wheels; cars, bikes, monowheels, etc.
    - Supports nearly any vehicle shape; long, short, wide, thin, tall, etc.
    - Highly customizable with simple tweaking of performance.
    - Supports automatic and manual transmissions.
    - Adjust invidual wheels for unique set-ups, includng RWD, FWD, 4WD, and more.
    - Handles nearly any shape of terrain and surfaces.
    - Contains everything in the video above, including the vehicle templates so you don't have to build any vehicles from scratch.
    - Delta time independent.

This package comes with the expectation that you already have a basic understanding of Unity and at least some experience programming, assuming you want to modify the scripts. All scripts are written in UnityScript (JavaScript). The Unity version used to build the package is 4.3.4 free. This package has not been tested on mobile platforms or in networked multiplayer.

This is not currently compatible with Unity 5.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2015
  2. Deleted User

Deleted User

3. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Thanks, that means a lot considering this is my first asset.

4. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello RandomationGames, nice work indeed.

are you going to release C# version?

5. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I would have to learn C# first, which I wasn't planning on doing soon. I know C# is a popular choice for scripting and I'll probably lose some potential sales because of this. Another reason is that I've been working on this for the past year and would like to move on to other things, and converting the scripts would require me to test everything again. However I will still provide support and bug fixes for the foreseeable future.

6. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

@RandomationGames I totally understand your reasons.

Nice work by the way, really impressive!!

7. nukeD

nukeD

I own EDY's, RKG, VCAR and others... but this... this is, well i couldn't resist and bought it after spending 20+ minutes playing the demo. Reminded me of the hours upon hours spent with RUSH 2049 on the Dreamcast.
    It is a GREAT system and maybe, just maybe the one to rule them all!

As an artist my only concern is how hard it is to use, but i took the leap of faith and will find out soon :D

Will there be a video tutorial for us spoiled internet people?

Keep it up!

Last edited: Oct 10, 2013
  8. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Thanks for the positive responses.

I tried to make the wiki as comprehensive as possible, but I understand some people learn better through videos. For now I would say it's safe to assume there won't be video tutorials, but I might change my mind.

As for your concern about ease of use, there is one main renderer object inside a vehicle's hierarchy, and each wheel has two renderers; one for the rim, and one for the tire. You can disable the popping of tires and have the rim's renderer include the tire if you want to decrease draw calls.

With audio, there are a number of audio sources for different things explained on the wiki.

This page documents setting up a vehicle. I should add some specific info on how to remove the built-in HUD components.

9. EstudioVR

EstudioVR

Mars and Lunar hover and a hovercraft could be a nice plus for the vehicles

10. c-Row

c-Row

Following another user's posts on Youtube, couldn't you just realize a hovercraft with insivible wheel meshes?

11. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Yes a hovercraft could be done quite easily with wheelColliders. In fact they can be tweaked to feel like very low gravity or as if there were an air cushion under the craft.

12. JamesArndt

JamesArndt

Very easy fix, but you might want to adjust the trailrenderer material to always draw in front of the environment stuff. This way you avoid all of that Z axis fighting and flickering.

13. c-Row

c-Row

Seems like my years of YouTube surfing at the office finally paid off. :D

Package looks great!

14. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

There actually was hovercraft functionality at one point, but I removed it because it was buggy and felt weird to drive. What bothered me the most is the way it wouldn't bank during turns, which could be difficult to implement in a scalable manner. You can see it in my old thread.

How exactly would I go about changing the depth of the tire marks? They don't use Unity's trail renderer, but rather a regular mesh renderer with procedurally generated meshes. Would this be done with changing the render queue of the material?

15. nukeD

nukeD

OK, first test went well.
    Your physics model is very close to what i need (arcade feel, sega style).
    There is a lot i need to learn yet, the camera for instance is still not very well set... i also need to learn to set spring hardness, max speed, engine power, etc, but for a person that can only comment out script lines i'm happy.
    Is there a place on the wiki where i can learn how to modify the HUD (the speedo/tachometer, the boost bar, etc.)?

[video=youtube_share;HELKNryYzYI]http://youtu.be/HELKNryYzYI

Also there are LOTS and LOTS of things that i discovered by accident, because you havent advertised them. I think you offer much more that what you're saying and people need to know the advantages of your package. Details like the drift system, the boost recharging while drifting or while in the air, the score system for acrobatics (this last one i just saw, dont know if it works out of the box) man this is soo cool (a little bit complex for an artist, but not impossible)

Thanks for the good work!

16. c-Row

c-Row

That video looked pretty good for only commenting out script lines. :D

17. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks :) , but i'm not kidding about // my only coding skill... it looks good, because i'm an artist and i spend my energy in what i can (the graphics)

18. c-Row

c-Row

That certainly is testament to the quality of both your skills and Radomation's asset. :)

19. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

It feels great to see my package used like this, thank you.

I will work on improving the documentation, getting feedback has helped with this. The score system sort of works, but I hid it mainly because I had trouble getting it to detect individual flips and spins. It can only detect how fast you are spinning and which axis you're spinning around, not how many degrees you have spun. The score is really only used for filling your boost, but you can use it for other things too. Could you explain what exactly bothers you about the camera?

20. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

My God I love you lol.

Would this support something like a Double Decker Bus without tipping over?

Really want to try that loop the loop with a bus lol

21. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

It should, maybe I'll add it to the demo.

EDIT
    : I've updated the HUDScript page of the wiki with more info on variables. I'm also working on a small update to allow easier customization of the HUD. Maybe I'll add the bus as well.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  22. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Can i make a tank with this kit with animated tank threads?

23. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Tank treads are possible, but you would have to use a skinned mesh and parent the bones to the wheels. You would also have to make sure that the bones don't rotate along with the wheels, but only move up and down. As for making the treads move, you could animate their texture by changing the material's offset.

Example from my old version (at around 9:00):
    [video=youtube_share;AZap8jnDB1A]http://youtu.be/AZap8jnDB1A?t=8m57s

(The hover car and single-axled vehicle are not supported by this package.)

Since tank treads are not directly supported, you will have to do this yourself.

Last edited: Oct 11, 2013
  24. nukeD

nukeD

I didn't realize that until i checked the prefabs folder just now, in the demo the monowheel is very fun to drive!! Please add the prefab again... i was just having an idea for it.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2013
  25. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

The main reason I removed the single-axled vehicle is because it felt kind of awkward to drive. Another thing is it had a way of being able to sit on vertical walls. In order to add it again, I would have to copy and paste the code from the old version into this. If you really want it I might try to add it back in.

26. nukeD

nukeD

EDITED: wait, wait... i just realized that the monowheel is still there... in the prefabs folder.
    Man i should sleep more!

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  27. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Ok good, I just got the chance to come back here and reply.

EDIT: Does anyone else have concerns they want addressed in the upcoming version?

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  28. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Randomation Vehicle Physics version 1.1 has been released, including:

- Added editor gizmos to make for easier variable tweaking.

- Engine sounds made more versatile; open engine sounds can be played from any direction rather than just from the front or rear.

- Double-decker bus template added.

- Boost Types made more apparent.

- Score system exposed.

- Other minor tweaks.

Here's more info from the wiki:

Version 1.1 - The variable invertDotPitch of VehicleParent has been removed and replaced with engineDirection and bilateralEngineSound. The variables spawnPoint, spawnRotation, useMetricUnits, setBoostPower, resetButton, respawnButton, and restartButton have been added to ControlScript. Editor gizmos have been added to VehicleParent and CarWheelColScript.

29. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

With the Inclusion of the Double Decker bus, youve my ideas alot more feasible :)

Got a purchase from me :)

30. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

I've always loved vehicle stuff as a hobby. The lack of C# isn't a major concern, I can port that myself if its not too many lines. How many lines would you say your project is?

Some questions:

- how do you handle wheels? are they unity wheel colliders or a custom job you've worked out?
    - any idea about performance?

Really liked the arcade feel.

31. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

There are about 3500 lines of code, part of this is due to my coding style which uses a lot of line breaks.

Example:
    Code (csharp):
    1. function Update()
    2. {
    3.      if (isItYeah)
    4.      {
    5.           doThis();
    6.      }
    8.      variable = value;
    9. }
    The wheels utilize the Unity wheel colliders, with two capsule colliders in each wheel to represent the sides and top of a wheel.

The demo scene in the unity editor shows around 140 - 200 fps. This is 1920 x 892 resolution with 8x anti aliasing. Turning of anti aliasing adds another 100 fps, and gets better with lower resolutions. Draw calls are usually below 150 in this scene. I'm using a core i7 CPU and GeForce GTX 560M GPU so most computers and devices will have worse performance.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  32. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

What I would like to see in the upcoming version - electric engine sound. What a lot of people would like to see - Playmaker support. The day this asset has custom playmaker actions I'm buying it :)

33. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

This is more of a gameplay scripts package than an art or audio assets package, so I'm not planning on adding an electric engine sound unless I specifically add an electric car. I might do this in the next update, however I don't have another update currently planned. If I was to update the package again, I would want to add more things next to an electric car. If you bought the package as it stands now, you could basically create an electric car by duplicating the RWD car and slightly decreasing the gear length variable, as well as changing the engine sound. If you wanted it to be like the Tesla Roadster with just one forward gear, you could reduce the max gears to 1, increase the max drive, and increase the gear length. This page on the wiki explains variables related to performance.

As for PlayMaker actions, it won't happen as I feel it is too much of an investment of my time since I would have to first purchase and learn how to use PlayMaker, then learn how to extend it and create the actions and test/debug them, then release them and make sure they work with each new release of PlayMaker in the future. Another thing is that PlayMaker is advertised as aiding the development of mobile games, and if my package were to support PlayMaker, then people might expect my package to work on mobile devices, but like I've said before I haven't been able to test this on mobile platforms.

I prefer to only update this package with bug fixes and new features which aren't too difficult to add.

34. jeremiasz

jeremiasz

Thanks for the reply! If it goes to electric car - thats exactly what I wanted to know. I am impressed. Your explanation is very comprehensive. As for Playmaker, I can live with "Set property" action changing Object/Script properties, but of course custom actions set would be invaluable. Manualy scripting is time consuming and is just pain in da ass ;)) Another thing is that it's high time to test your asset on mobile devices!:) Keep the good work on!

35. nukeD

nukeD

OK, ive quickly put together a video of my pet project, with a bunch of the best assets we've got for Unity FREE working together and looking amazing...
    Did i mention that i'm in love with Randomation Vehicle Physics?

Last edited: Oct 26, 2013
  36. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Thanks, I'm looking forward to seeing the final version of your project.

37. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks! I've also implemented the physics into a superbike game we have in the works, but will post info in the future.
    I have a request, dont know if its easy or hard for you to do this, but please:

- Do you have a way (or an advice) to convert the wikia documentation to a printer friendly format (PDF, word, etc)?

I like to have my documentation on paper (i read in the car or when on holidays, even when working i'm used to browse through the papers on my desk), but when i try to print from wikia, it screws up the text.

Thank you in advance!

38. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

You could try copying and pasting the text into a document. If you can wait I'll try to do it.

39. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

A printable PDF of the RVP wiki has been made available. Here is the download link.

When I printed it, the fonts and text kerning were off on some pages. I would appreciate it if someone else could print it and see if the problem persists.

40. nukeD

nukeD

Thanks a lot man! I tried printing from the wiki using a variety of free pdf programs, but every time the formatting was completely off. Your PDF is perfect.

41. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Thanks, did you try printing from the free version of Adobe Acrobat? I used MS Word Starter 2010 to create the original documents, then used Acrobat to combine them into a PDF. I would like to troubleshoot this, but I have no idea where to start. For me, some pages come out correct while others don't.

42. ProjectOne

ProjectOne

Hi,
    lovely asset, you got skills... you should really look into converting it into c# as well, it shouldn't be too hard for someone with your skills

Has anyone tried this on iOS devices?

Thanks

43. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Thanks, but it wouldn't really be so easy since I've never used a c-based language before. Also because there are about 3500 lines of code, which may not seem like a lot to some people, but to me it is. I would have to get well acquainted with the language before converting something of this scale.

44. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

It's a shame theres not a C# version :( I would have purchased this already.

what you could do instead of learning C#, you could offer someone a deal where they convert it to C# and you offer them a percentage of the sales. You could then offer 2 packages, 1 Unityscript and the other C#. The percentage paid to the C# developer is based off only the C# version sales.

You have nothing really to lose by doing it this way, as long as the C# developer is consistent with keeping the scripts up to date when you make changes to your system. He will have an incentive to do so because if he doesn't you can make a new deal with someone else.

Just a thought.

45. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

Perhaps, but I don't now if I'm ready to delve into that yet. I'm just working on something else at the moment.

46. derkoi

derkoi

Any chance of this going on sale?

I have all the other major vehicle physics packages and I'd like to play with this to see what the performance on Mobile is like amongst other things.

47. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I don't have any plans to put it on sale currently, but I do wish it could be part of one of the official 24-hour deals.

48. derkoi

derkoi

I think you'll need to get in touch with them, I'd deffo buy it on sale and I'm sure others would. :)

49. JustInvoke

JustInvoke

I know more people would buy it, I just don't want the people who have recently bought it to feel ripped off with a price drop. After an extended period without sales I'll probably lower it.

50. hamyshank

hamyshank

This is a really nice Vehicle Physics Asset. I would/will definitely buy if you release a C# version. :)