Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[FREE] Amplify Color - Advanced Color Grading

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by Amplify_Ricardo, Oct 8, 2013.

1. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify Color, now FREE via GitHub and Asset Store, is one of the leading choices for accurate and high performing Industry Level Color Grading. Extremely easy to use and to integrate in your project, no coding required. An efficient color grading extension comparable to industry standards used in VFX and Film, future proof and high-performing even on mobile devices.

Any artist can pick up this extension and quickly color grade a Unity scene. Be it via the semi-automated workflow where it actually connects to Photoshop or with other software such as Nuke, DaVinci Resolve or After Effects using the file mode.

What does Rust, p.a.m.e.l.a., Manifold Garden, Firewatch, The Forest, Night In The Woods, Broforce, The Divine Unity Shrine, Soul Axiom and Star Wars Journeys Ep 1 to name a few have in common? Visit our Customer Showcase and Product Page to find out.

Amplify Color Overview

By using LUT's (Lookup Up Tables), any color profile created can be adjusted and even loaded at run-time allowing users to seamlessly blend between various looks. Users can also use Color Volumes, Dynamic and Depth masking to extend their color based effects.

LUT's combine and retain all external color alterations; among other effects, Color Balance, Curves, Exposure, Contrast, Saturation and Hue adjustments will all apply to your in-game assets. Users can also take advantage of commercially available LUT packs and apply them directly to Unity Exported Reference Images using the File Mode or Photoshop connection.

There are many types of LUT file formats but Amplify Color will only be able to read compatible Look up Tables in bitmap format(1024x32), as do similar effects in Unity; below is an example of a LUT image.

What can a LUT do for RAW media? Check out the video below by the great team at Vision Color to find out and be sure to try out their LUT Packs.

Amplify Color Features
    • Industry level color grading for 3D/2D Games​
    • High-performance and Mobile-ready​
    • Semi-automated Photoshop workflow​
    • File-based workflow for any other Image Editor​
    • Dynamic blending between profiles​
    • Texture-based per-pixel masking​
    • All Color Alterations Supported​
    • Oculus/VR friendly​
    • Color Volumes​
    • Third-party Effects Volume Blending​
    • Base and Volume LUT mixing​
    • Optimized for mobile​
    • Complete source-code​
    • For Desktops, Consoles & Mobile Devices​
    • NEW! 2D Color Volumes​
    • NEW! Depth-based Masking​
    • NEW! HDR Tone Mapping​
    • NEW! HDR Dithering​
    • NEW! Broader mobile device support​
    • NEW! Improved tools​
    Notes
    • Provided "as is", be sure to join the GitHub project
    • Built-in renderer only
    • No support for PPS

Amplify Color Volumes
    empowers your artists by allowing them to use volumes to efficiently define color correction, effects & events by area. Volumes automatically blend between LUT's, support Base and Volume LUT mixing and Third-party Effects Volume Blending whilst maintaining volume detection accuracy.

Tonemmaping allows for quick and lightweight adjustments without the need to rely on additional camera components or 3rd-party effects, it also provides a HDR Dithering solution allowing for even more accurate results.

Depth Masking allows you to blend different LUT’s based on depth information by simply adjusting a curve as you would with similar Unity components. Create interesting and dynamic scene moods or simply isolate certain assets based on their depth value such as skyboxes or backgrounds models.

Dynamic Masking provides a quick and easy way to isolate assets by taking advantage of the built-in Unity Culling Mask options

Masking assets is extremely quick to setup and it also works great with 2D Games, be sure to check the Project Samples in the Manual Page; section 6 – Dynamic & Depth Masks.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
  2. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone,

We updated the Amplify Color customer showcase in our website:Showcase

Be sure to check out all the great projects powered by the leading solution for professional color grading in unity Amplify Color.

Many more to come, we have a lot of projects powered by Amplify Color still under wraps. Join dozens of other developers that already chose our technology as THE solution for their projects color grading needs.

Developers like:

Mixamo

SKS Games

Darkwind Media

Among others like SparkPlugGames, BitsAlive, Kando Games, AAD Productions, Avalanche Studios and many more to come!​

3. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

I've just started messing around with this today... Very impressive indeed :)

4. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Very impressive work guys. Really looking forward to working on this for my next project.

5. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Cheers guys!

Your feedback is very important to us, so please do not hesitate to throw some our way.

6. Krileon

Krileon

I didn't realize how insanely awesome this is until I bought and tried it. I'm using the Underworld asset pack to take screenshots for loading screen backgrounds and after applying Amplify Color it's like the entire scenery came to life. I'm going to be applying this to all my games. It truly does bring out the colors. I did a color blend of Vibrance and Vibrance2 (samples included with Amplify Color) with blending set to 0.4 and it looks amazing. I hope to apply this successfully to my actual game as well and make my own custom textures (I only have GIMP so I hope it'll be ok) for it too. By far surpasses Unitys built in color post processing (takes forever to tweak just right, but this is simple and fast).

7. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

Can you send a before and after image....as I'm really interested in the Underworld asset and how Amplify makes it look.

8. Krileon

Krileon

Not anymore as I removed the old components and am just using Amplify Color, Tone Mapping, and SSAO at this point. Below are some screenshots you can compare to the ones on the asset store though.

Asset store link: https://www.assetstore.unity3d.com/#/content/10875

9. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

WOW....looks fantastic!

10. blackant

blackant

Hi, I have a problem while importing back the editoed screen from photoshop.
    it gives me a total grey screen !

i get the error message:

[AmplifyColor] ConvertLutTo3D failed on test. Please ensure the texture is 1024x32 and has Read/Write Enabled.
    UnityEngine.Debug:LogWarning(Object)
    AmplifyColorBase:ConvertLutTo3D(Texture2D) (at Assets/AmplifyColor/Plugins/AmplifyColorBase.cs:502)
    AmplifyColorBase:CacheConvertLutsTo3D() (at Assets/AmplifyColor/Plugins/AmplifyColorBase.cs:447)
    AmplifyColorBase:OnRenderImage(RenderTexture, RenderTexture) (at Assets/AmplifyColor/Plugins/AmplifyColorBase.cs:409)

Size is correct, how can i read/write Enabled ?

i tested the Color panels from the package, they works corectly

11. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

We're happy that you're enjoying it :) The pics look really good btw

You can change it here:
    http://www.dropbox.com/s/lmckht880wqzj00/readwrite.jpg

Please let me know if this solves the problem.

--- edit

I was able to reproduce the problem and I've issued a fix for the next update, due this week.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
  12. blackant

blackant

Thanks ! works really better now !
    this plugin is incerdible

13. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

awesome work Krileon, looks AAA quality :)

14. Krileon

Krileon

Well I just made use of 2 assets really, lol. I didn't make the Underworld art pack or Amplify Color. The creators of both are the true awesome ones. :)

15. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

@Krileon ; oh I see lol my bad.. yeah awesome combination :)

16. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

17. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

We offer tools to facilitate and automate the LUT creation process, including direct connection to Photoshop for quick editing. Additionally, we support build targets without support for 3D textures, like iOS and Android, dynamic blending between profiles, texture based per-pixel masking (can be dynamic/RT) and all shaders are highly optimized for mobile.

Please feel free to take it for a spin:
    http://amplify.pt/wp-content/download/AmplifyColorTrial.unitypackage

18. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Update - A new demo is available.

In this new stylized web demo you will be able to test most of the features provided by Amplify color. Color profile blending, object isolation and much more.

19. kaz2057

kaz2057

Hi Ricarco,

I want ask how it will cost in performance this postFx. I need to use on mobile platform and I use just Color Correction Ramp because it is very cheap about performance request.

You tool is similar about performance?

Thanks

20. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello,

I guess in the end it comes down to what else do you have running in your app. Amplify Color is extremely fast and optimised for mobile.

I personally have not used “Color Correction Ramp” on mobile devices but Amplify Color provides you far more accurate control over your color matrix and additional features such as color blending or static and dynamic masks.

Combine that with the ability to alter your color grade directly in Photoshop or any similar tool, you won't need to purchase another color grading tool anytime soon.

Give it a go, the trial version is fully functional: Trial Download

21. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Amplified by our color grading and vector based motion blur solutions. Amplify Color Amplify Motion

The Forest is an open world survival horror game currently in development for PC that just keeps getting better. Amazing graphics, gameplay and overall ambience, certainly set to to become one of the best Unity games ever made.

A must have for any survival horror fan, follow it on Steam.

Blog post and Screenshot Gallery.

The Forest

22. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We fixed the issue regarding global anisotropic settings causing artifacts when blending between luts.
    The update is now available on the Asset Store.

23. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

That's great Ricardo

Thanks

24. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

No problem, let us know if you run into any issues.

25. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hello everyone,

We have finally launched our automated payment and delivery service, combined with automated downloads for product updates. After your purchase, you no longer have to wait for a build to be delivered.

Our system will ensure that the latest full build will always be made available through a temporary download link. After the link expires, or a new product update is released, you’ll be able to update your product simply by providing one of your product keys in the download page, in order to unlock your downloads.

We’ll be sending out Product Keys to all existing customers. Please contact us if you haven’t received your keys before 23rd of December 2013.

Amplify Creations Products Page

For more information, check out our brand new Download Page

Your invoice/purchase ID is personal and should not be shared with unauthorised personnel, keep it safe at all times. If you experience any technical issues with the automated system contact us directly at support@amplify.pt.

Last edited: Dec 20, 2013
  26. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Hello Ricardo,

How do you use object isolation?

27. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

At set-up time, create a RenderTexture and assign it to the Mask property of the Amplify Color effect. At runtime, you can either:
    1) Clear the RT black and render all the objects you want to receive the color correction as white
    2) Or, the inverse, clear the RT white and render all the objects you DON'T want having color correction as black

28. MHD-Salka

MHD-Salka

Hi!

I'm testing with the demo version on iOS , iv noticed that i get extremely low performance (23 fps) when i turn Anti Aliasing on in quality settings...even with empty scene....i've tried on ipad 4 and ipad air...any idea what could cause this issue?

Thanks!

29. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Does this happen using all post-effects? You might want to copy ("resolve") the AA source render texture into a non-AA render texture before applying any effects. To perform this operation you can use a secondary camera (higher depth), with a non-AA RT attached and an empty culling mask.

Please let us know if this helps.

Last edited: Dec 30, 2013
  30. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Thanks Diogo, I haven't tried it yet, I will do soon.

Regards
    Mohoe

31. Shefich

Shefich

Hi Diogo!
    I also noticed extremely low fps in my game? running on iphone 4S (7fps, but was 30 fps).
    I just added amplifyColor script to one of my cams and added Lut texture, generated from Photoshop.
    My english is bad as you see))
    Can you describe steps from your previous answer more carefully?
    Thanks!

32. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Does this also happen with other post-effects, or just Amplify Color?

I'm not sure if the workaround I provided works yet. I don't have access to an iOS device at the moment. I'll be working on a solution as soon as I possibly can.

33. Shefich

Shefich

Don't know about over post effects, because can't understand how to set them up. From this video http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=13ZeJAdb9-s I understood only about AmplifyColor script.
    So I just checked Amplify Color. Also my game works good with 30 fps on older devices like iphone 4 and ipho touch 4. But with Amplify 7 fps on iphone 4s.

34. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

Are you running with or without anti-aliasing?

35. Shefich

Shefich

I thought iphone doesn't support anti-aliasing. But I tested with anti-aliasing 2x and nothing changed.
    With anti-aliasing disabled or 2x - 7fps with amplify color.

36. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

I remember testing it myself on a iPhone 4 (not 4s) and ran much faster than that at retina res. Nevertheless, it could be something related to the latest build. We're looking into it right now.

Last edited: Jan 9, 2014
  37. bchevalier

bchevalier

hi there,

i just got the trial version.
    i can get the regular LUT working on the camera but volumes won't work.
    I followed the steps from the video :

- Volumes are activated and have an LUT assigned
    - Camera is within Box Collider of the volumes
    - Use Volumes is activated on the camera Amplify Color script

The Lut Blend Texture slot on the Camera Amplify Script never gets fed. Basically the script doesn't seem to detect the camera entering the volume. I tried with a Proxy as well.

Also I notice extremely huge slowdowns in editor when showing the Volumes Editor Window. At some point it jus
    I have Unity Por 4.3.1f1

Thanks !
    ben

38. Diogo-Teixeira

Diogo-Teixeira

You're right. This was an issue that was happening in the trial build. I've detected and fixed the problem. The patched version has been updated. Please click here to download.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to replicate this one so far. Please provide any particularity that you think is relevant about your project, e.g.
    - Do you have a large amount of objects and/or colliders?
    - Large amount of volumes? (this seems to affect only the Volumes Editor window)

Nevertheless, I'm looking into optimizing it right now, to account for as many unforeseen cases as I can think of right now. Any additional information will certainly help. I'm also adding an optional volume culling mask, just in case, to be up on the next update.

Thank you for taking the time to report this.

--- edit

Was finally able to replicate Volumes Editor window performance issues by testing on larger projects. Working on a fix.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  39. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

We are happy to announce a new version of Amplify Color, currently 50% off in the Unity Asset Store. In this new version we introduced additional mobile specific optimizations and Color Volumes.
    • Color Volumes: This new feature will empower your artists by allowing them to use volumes to efficiently define color correction by area.
    • Mobile Mode: We introduced some new mobile optimizations that will give you an extra boost in performance when using older devices.
    Update Overview

Take advantage of the limited time 50% off sale, try it today!

Click here to open the Amplify Color Asset Store Page

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  40. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

@Shefich, MHD Salka Concerning mobile performance issues on older devices.

We introduced new optimizations, try it out and send us your feedback.

@bchevalier Concerning the occasional slowdowns of the new Volume Editor window and the issue with Color Volumes being turned off in the trial version.

A new update was already submitted to the Asset Store in order to fix the Volumes Editor occasional slowdowns.

The Trial version as also been updated. Download The Amplify Color Trial Here

41. fanjules

fanjules

This seems an interesting asset store, but I'm a little curious how it actually works under the skin. Does it compare the before/after screenshots from Photoshop and then calculate an estimation of a colour table based on the changes? Or does it actually go deeper into Photoshop and look at the processes you have applied to an image? The reason I ask is that one of my interest is video editing, and consequently colour grading. I note you also list After Effects there. I like to grade using Magic Bullet and Premiere Pro. Is that a work flow I could use (I realise many of the effects in magic bullet do more than just grade an image, but certainly the simpler tools are a pleasure to use and would be more than adequate).

I'm also using Photoshop CS5... is that supported with the automatic connection or is there a specific version requirement?

Lastly what about run-time operation...? A lot of questions, and perhaps trying the trial may answer them - but I'm a busy bee... ;)

42. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Thank you for your interest. At its core, Amplify Color reads the color alterations generated in common color grading software and applies them to your realtime applications in a efficient and high quality manner.

All color alterations are supported with full per-color accuracy. Since you are already familiar with those programs and plugins you will be right at home regarding the use of our plugin for efficient and high quality color grading.

Yes, minimum 5.1 (free update from Adobe).

You can change and blend color profiles at runtime. Amplify Color is very flexible and now with Color Volumes it’s even quicker and simpler to set up your scenes, all without writing a single line of code.

Nothing like taking it for a spin ;) Trial Version

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  43. fanjules

fanjules

Great stuff, and thanks for the detailed reply... I've purchased regardless, what got my interest was use of the same language as I had used in video. Looking forward to having a play with it now - a great asset well done! :)

44. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Awesome! Stay tuned @amplifycreates, we have some cool updates coming to Color in the next weeks.

45. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

I love the ability to create "zones" and transition from one color grade to another. Is it possible to create the transition based on distance?

As an example, say you just entered the zone, the color grade change is 0%. Say you move forward 10 units into the zone, now the color grade is at 50%. 20 units and it's at 100%. The % doesn't increase/decrease unless you move forward or backward within the zone.

It is possible? If not, I would love to see that added!

46. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Glad you liked it. ;)

Not at the moment but it’s something we will introduce in the next update. We will also add the ability to blend other luts on top of the Volume, this is particularly useful for effects that require a sort of 3 way/lut blend. For example, it could be used to blend an exposure lut on top of the volume lut in order to simulate a flashbang, vignettes, damage effects and many other color based changes.

47. DigitalAdam

DigitalAdam

Fantastic, just picked it up. :)

48. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

49. nasos_333

nasos_333

Are there any sample scene included ?

50. Amplify_Ricardo

Amplify_Ricardo

Hi,

Not at the moment but setting up Amplify Color is quick and simple. Check out the Manual for more info.
    We do include several color profiles, In the future we will include an example scene.

Let us know if you need any help.

All the best,

Last edited: Aug 21, 2014