Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

converting .unity3d to exe

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by jimhap, Apr 3, 2009.

1. jimhap

jimhap

Hello,

I would like to convert a .unity3d file to a windows EXE build.

The problem is that I've lost quite a bit of my source code due to a hard drive crash, and only have the .unity3d file.

I would still like to open my product, but I only have a .unity3d file, in which I actually meant for a installable exe.

Is there anyway to convert it?

Thanks,
    jimhap

2. Dreamora

Dreamora

you can not convert a unity3d file to an exe.

the unity3d also can not have been meant for an installable exe as that either is an exe or an unbuilt project, you can not generate an exe from a webplayer and I really don't hope such a thing will become possible as I would not accept if 3rd party could create exe from my hard work which would basically be possible if they could just use the unity3d file ;)

3. minevr

minevr

4. Dreamora

Dreamora

Sweet or less sweet actually if I its purpose is what we are talking about here.

Such stuff always reminds me why the whole asian IP space will be locked out from my page once the first game goes live if I find granted way to handle that.

5. StarManta

StarManta

backup backup Backup BACKUP BACKUP.

....*cough* Ahem.

6. jimhap

jimhap

What??? I'm Chinese! ;)
    Seriously, if you really think Asia is to blame, take a look of all the other tools on the Internet.
    3D Ripper DX was written by a guy from Ukraine. It is so powerful that it has been used, along with illegal emulators, to rip off the models in top selling games. So maybe you should block European users as well? :p

I had a American friend of mine that wrote a tool to copy OpenGL commands and recode it into an .OBJ files. Maybe the Americans should be banned too. :D

Well, if you don't like Asian access, it's impossible to keep them out. ;) I suggest a IP geolocation ban, if you decide to do that. PHP (server side web language) can easily do that.
    However, if you really want protection, DON'T go for the IP based ban. Doing so can cause MUCH noise and you don't want that. I suggest an extra layer of capture protection. No use in blocking people.

Yes, I learned my lesson - BACKUP. But due to the economic issues and time, I rarely ever do so. But this time, I bought 2 HDs - one running now, the other for backup.

Hmm... I'll try this tool. :)

About 60% of my models are saved. The others are gone.
    No scripts are left. :(

I really don't know where to go from here. I might need to sell my Unity3D license if I don't need it anymore... :(

jimhap

7. Jessy

Jessy

Well, you learned a hard lesson then, because you can't sell the license.

8. jimhap

jimhap

I think it is possible. I can just contact support, tell them to stop looking at my computer (device hashes are sent to them), and sell it to the other.

9. jeremyace

jeremyace

You are not legally permitted to do that. This was discussed a few times before, a search should dig them up.

-Jeremy

10. minevr

minevr

:eek:

@jimhap:Chinese?Me too~~~

Give me a PM~~ :p

11. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

You read and agreed to an End User License Agreement (see Section 1: Grant of License) upon installation that clearly states that Unity licenses are not transferrable. Selling licenses is not allowed.

12. jimhap

jimhap

Ok, I see.

Well, I hope maybe I will get more time one day to restart
    the whole game creation process again. I may (illegally enough)
    try ripping models off my own game.
    (Theoretically, it isn't illegal, due to the fact that it is my own work.)

Thanks for your help! :)

jimhap

13. HiggyB

HiggyB

Unity Product Evangelist

There's nothing illegal there at all, you've just fallen into a terrible spot with the crash and loss of data. Unfortunately I sense that this is going to be a rough reminder of how valuable backups can be.

I hope you push through!

14. EcstaticallyEcstaticalEcstatic

EcstaticallyEcstaticalEcstatic

IF ANYONE IS LOOKING FOR THIS I MAY HAVE FOUND A SOLUTION!!!
    Sorry about all caps but..
    If you compress an app called UniPlayer and the unity3d file using iexpress (WinXP Program) you COULD possibly create a single auto-extract archive that deletes on exit, and decompresses to Temp.
    You are very welcome, and good luck!
    [EDIT] Whoops, here's the link... http://www.nibiirosoft.com/Product/UniPlayer_en.html

Last edited: Sep 7, 2014