Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

GTA V had a 200 million budget but the models terrain don't even look impressive?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by WillModelForFood, Sep 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. landon912

landon912

Argueing with George Sokol about enviroment is like trying to tight rope across an ocean without falling; your bound to lose. :p

2. Farfarer

Farfarer

I think it's safe to disregard everything WillModelForFood has said on this thread.

3. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

I knew he would come

4. mjrose342

mjrose342

Gta V is on the PS3 and Xbox 360 so of course the graphics will look bad...

5. WillModelForFood

WillModelForFood

Please, explain why. Is that all you will contribute to the thread? Disregard the fact that they could have hand sculpted better terrain without needing more juice from hardware? Do you really agree with them on that? How would adding extra rock objects around the mountain region and minor details to make it more playable not be possible?

Who are you to say everything I'm saying is NOT possible? It's just as likely to be possible as it is NOT to be possible. How can you guys say so confidently that the things i'm complaining about can't be added within the limits? I think none of you will agree until rockstar themselves say, "We apologize for not making better terrain to provide a better gameplay experience".

Also why did you include the bottom two characters in your portfolio? They look like they were modeled by a 2 month experienced novice...
    Is this the guy you all are relying on to be the all mighty thread destroyer?

6. Farfarer

Farfarer

I can't answer anything for legal reasons. But it's clear you have no idea what's gone into making the game or what goes into making any title of that calibre.

Those characters are about 8+years old, for a Half-Life 2 mod. I haven't updated my folio in a long time.

7. Archania

Archania

And yet you have to show anything of your awesome magnificent skills.
    And apparently you didn't click on his cv/resume otherwise you might have noticed where he works. Just saying.

Edit: just remember that it is very easy to be god of all when you are on the internet. I can say that I'm a king of a small country if I wanted too. You would never know...

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  8. BTStone

BTStone

Are you serious right now? Are you really going that road now?
    First you claim you can do waaaaay better than the top-notch Developers of Rockstar, then you change the subject and then when people want to see something of your work you link to Michael O.'s assets. And now you're ranting about Farfarers portfolio (which is in my opinion really cool, personally I couldn't do that in 2 months...)? Wow, just wow...

9. Dabeh

Dabeh

Mate, he works at Rockstar.

10. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

Aw S***... Dude just poked the bear...

EDIT: PWNED!!

11. landon912

landon912

Dude you don't know how ignorent you sound right now. You say you could do better yourself and others have, but all you show is other peoples work that is running on gaming PCs! You insult respected members of the forum who are professional developers like they are some peasant uneducated fool. While not all of them are nice or try to soften their criticism, they are giving us their PROFESSIONAL knowledge for FREE! Your thread is one of the worst ones I've seen in the three years I've been here, even daring to insult the WHOLE artist industry by a grossly generalizing them as lazy losers. I can damn well assure you each and every one of them have worked many long nights away from their family trying to give ungratefull end users a product we will like. If you completed any sort of game you should know how hard it is to have people diss your game as lazy vaporware.

I expect to see a terrian rendering on a PS3 that looks obviously better than GTA, I won't even bother asking for you to do it with gameplay, AI, and all the other hard work and resource consuming items in the game. You claim it's easy, so stop talking and go do it, then I'll eat every word in this post.

12. Ocid

Ocid

Nice job picking a console screenshot. Look for a PC with the HD or custom texture pack. Blows that S*** out the water.

Or scroll up and look at the screens James posted of a modded GTA IV on PC.

Also guys you can't really use US salaries as the metric for what people got paid on GTAV. Majority of work was done in Rockstar North and Leeds. So its a more useful metric to look at UK wages.

WillModelForFood. Go and read some damn articles on Gamasutra or something about AAA console production.

13. Farfarer

Farfarer

There's no bear here, the game's as good as we could make it.

It's easy when you're starting out as an artist to look at games and go "pch, I could do that, that's rubbish". But it's an entirely different story on the other side.

14. DigitalGlass

DigitalGlass

Of all the years I've spent lurking these forums. I have never seen a thread started with such a loaded topic. How can you possibly expect anyone to agree with you? You didn't work on GTA V, so in what universe are you the authority on the reasons why things are cut down? Is it possible that there is a memory budget, a disk space budget, maybe it's office politics, who actually really knows(besides farfarer)

Now the reason why this topic is so loaded is because you're claiming that more budget = better art. Whether or not you're intending to say that or not, that's what it comes down to, and anyone in their right mind, would know better for reasons explained by everyone else in this thread.

So now if you're saying you completely understand tech constraints, and that more money doesn't mean better art, then what is your actual point? That they can do a better job? Well it goes without saying that anything can always be done better, no matter how awesome or how bad something is.

Edit: Not putting you guys down or anything farfarer, I'm saying that from a futurist pov.

15. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

And it is one hell of a game too... I don't even want to do the main story missions yet lol... there is so much to explore.

16. dxcam1

dxcam1

Thanks for cheering me up during my late night coding guys.

17. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

How far are you into the game?

18. dxcam1

dxcam1

I'm still at the beginning where you repossess the car, I haven't even finished the last the last of us yet. The game is great so far, I would vote it as Game of the year.

19. KRGraphics

KRGraphics

GTA5 was Game of the Year before they even released it... lol. I've been playing rounds of golf and tennis

20. Graham-Dunnett

Graham-Dunnett

Administrator

I think we're all about done here. We've seen some experienced guys chip in with their views, and even had some Rockstar employees comment. My reading of the thread seems to be that making a game for a console, with a big team, is all about compromises. The OP would probably compromise in a different way, but Rockstar North spent a lot of money, kept a lot of game developers/designers/artists employed, and shipped an amazing title which made over $1bn in a few days. Seems to imply the compromises that were made were the right ones.

siblingrivalry likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.