Search Unity

Unity Should Redesign Asset Store

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by atmuc, Sep 21, 2013.

1. atmuc

atmuc

These are problems that i see for Asset Store.

There is no platform compatibility option. There is no guarantee that asset will support new platforms. Also you cannot understand if asset support all current platforms. sometimes asset owner sells another paid package for new platform support.

Some assets have no source code with them. Many assets has one man support and there is no source code with them. if he dies we can do nothing with what we have.

there is no asset support policy. if asset owner stops supporting after 1 month we can do nothing. there is no refund option.

packages should work like NuGet packages. i cannot find updates for my current project. i can find my main library updates. i wish to update my project with one click.

there is no folder policy. like facebook sdk did assets can have many folders. if you import them your project became garbage. Assets should have one folder or they should be placed in special folders.

there is no package options like core and examples. i do not want to import examples in the package. i have to examine all files in the package and l have unselect them for each update.

there is no beta options for assets. now i try unity beta version and some assets are not compatible with it. asset owner should release beta compatible versions. we can also test them.

there is no favorite option. i want to mark my favorite assets.

there is no notification system like notify me when there is discount with this package. there is discounts except daily and madness.

there is no search in offline mode. there is no complex search.

there is no proxy support. environment variable workaround does not work well.

firejerm likes this.
  2. atmuc

atmuc

is everybody happy with these features? no comment? :)

3. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

4. Archania

Archania

Well apparently you did know that you can search using a web browser.
    Looking for a sale meaning what? You want a wish list basket and the system to tell you about an item going on sale to notify you?
    Beta testing and stuff is up to the maker of the asset not unity's problem.
    The issue about folders for assets is an on going thing which again is up to the person creating the asset. Go yell at them not unity.
    You are buying products in the hope that the developer will support it. But don't always count on it. As for as source code, the person creating it should tell you in the the description. Then it is up to you to decide.
    Most of what you are saying is good but most are on the developers of the assets and not Unity.
    If you read about an asset and it states working for version x.x of unity then you know. It is up to you to decide to purchase knowing the risks involved.

5. tiggus

tiggus

This would be very useful and also drive more sales for unity. There are some assets that I know I want but only if they are on sale because they are quite pricy. Checking the store/forums constantly to see if they happen to be on sale is not feasible.

6. Tiny-Tree

Tiny-Tree

I just noticed the little heart on each asset, its new since yesterday? what does it do?

7. chingwa

chingwa

It's a wishlist... so you can save assets that you're interested in for later. A list appears on your profile page. It's really great that they implemented this.... they seem to be doing some incremental updates here and there, though they are awfully quiet about it.

8. imtrobin

imtrobin

9. Archania

Archania

I see what you are saying but Unity is taking what the asset creator stated as it should be working as the asset creator stated . I'm sure Unity didn't pull out their test phones and give it a go nor researched the author website. They take what is stated given to them by the developer and I'm sure test it inside of Unity but are not going to run through all the tests. That takes time, cost of them sitting there to do it, and there probably a lot of assets to go through.
    In your case as from what the author stated on the asset store and then what was put in a different area, you should have full right right to get reimbursement. That is a all out lie that the asset creator made which is false advertisement.
    But I do stand by my original statement that the developer has to verify (if they have access to andriod or ios products) to insure proper advertisement of their product. If they just automatically assume it well we all know what assumptions mean....

10. sinoth

sinoth

I hope it stays this way. The last thing asset creators need is the constant thread of a refund. I can see it now... "you implemented 5 features for me for free, but since you won't do this 6th one -- I'm going to refund!"

Can't you open a project, go the asset store, and click the 'my downloads' icon? It will show you packages that need updating.

I believe this is a policy now. Maybe older assets haven't been updated to the current standard, but from what I understand your asset has to fit in only one folder under \Assets (though it may have multiple folders if you also need things in Editor, Plugins, etc... but that is to be expected.)

11. imtrobin

imtrobin

Yup, I'm still awaiting refund and the asset to be pulled off since 2 months ago I reported it