Search Unity

[RELEASED] Ultimate MMORPG Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by MrSkeletarik, Sep 19, 2013.

1. ungr

ungr

Did you setup the database on your mysql server?

2. MrMassively

MrMassively

I am very confused,

i think this asset should be named multiplayer asset instead of mmo and less the ultimate mmo.

there are several reasons why and facts are as follows:
    - there is no such a thing as mmo capable in photon cloud, mainly room based multiplayer.

-the photon cloud just acts as a rely between clients, so this can not support an authoritative server at all.

- most mmos if not all have a server side logic and most are authoritative as the server is always right and even server side collision to avoid nasty client cheats that will kill gameplay.

- I assume you handling client login/signup via the server app, right? please dont tell me you managing it communication to mysql server directly from the client app? since this will be a catastrophe.

-i dont understand why you planned an mmo with photon cloud, if photon has a standalone server where you can add you server side logic instead.

- you say you have 2 applications, one for client and other that acts like server only, so client talks to photon cloud and relays messages to other hosted client application somewhere else that may act like a server? why? i want to know why you did such a thing. if there is a standalone photon server that you can use.

-if you using photon cloud to avoid self hosting or hosting the standalone server, you still have to host the server app you made somewhere besides using the photon cloud, i mean you have to pay photon cloud fees , plus you have to pay too another server hosting hardware to host the other client/server app which will act as administrative ap, so why the trouble and expense if you can just use one if you use the photon standalone server app.

- photon cloud offers 20 concurrent user for free while photon standalone server offers 100 ccu for free,

i am so confused, maybe you can state your reasons why you choose to build your mmo with photon cloud, maybe it can help me understand why you went that route. which to me does not make no sense at all.

sorry to be harsh on you, but i just dont get what you have done.

thanks you for reading. maybe you can help me understand your point of view.

regards

3. DevionGames

DevionGames

+1 I also do not understand how you can make an mmo with such system?

Instead of 1 message you are sending 3 messages?!(From what i understand)
    1. Client 1 sends request to cloud.
    2. Cloud sends request to master client("Server App").
    3. Master client("Server App") sends response to cloud.
    4. Cloud sends response to clients.

Step 2 and 3 would be not needed with photon standalone:
    1. Client 1 sends request to Server.
    4. Server sends response to clients.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2013
  4. ungr

ungr

I admit I do not know a whole lot about MMO networking, but I do know that photon cloud can support thousands of CCUs

In our case with Ultimate MMORPG it seems to me like it is actually acting as a relay between several servers and several clients.

This also concerns me since I still have yet to grasp how it does this,

Could you enlighten me/us on this? It seems like the client is what accesses the database, but I have done a lot of research on the points where I thought it would be vulnerable and it seems to be a lot more secure than I had at first thought. I am not new to hacking.

Well I for one have a very hard time learning how to make another separate application work with unity. If I knew how to program for photon this would not be a problem. So I actually see this as somewhere to get started. I really wish this kit used Ulink since it uses the type of setup this does minus the photon cloud, and its much easier than Photon Server to use (for me anyway).

My guess would be for ease of use. Which is one reason I am glad I bought it. For a long time now I have been trying to find something that would work for me. Something to get my project off the ground. I am still glad I bought the kit even if it is for learning purposes.

Actually its not quite like that. It is very easy to switch Photon Server to act like photon cloud. Right now I have my photon server setup like this. So actually its possible to host it all on one server.

Yep, and I am using this kit with the 100 CCUs for free at this moment.

5. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

MrMassively, I understood your point of view and you are not right. Please, at first read the thread, the description and etc. and then write some bad words about that.
    You are talking about you don't know what it is. And at once you name this "multiplayer asset instead of mmo and less the ultimate mmo", also discuss the using of Photon Cloud because in your opinion MMO needs at least Photon Server. Well, I wrote once or twice that this package can be used with Photon Server too. UMK uses the Photon Cloud by default, but it is not the only solution. You didn't buy this asset but you already "rate" this package. It is not right, especially if the rating is bad.

Zerano, you are doing the same thing.

By the way, the tutorial videos will be available soon!

6. DevionGames

DevionGames

I did not want to offend you, if you had this feeling, i am very sorry about this!
    I am just trying to learn and to understand, if this is a secret no problem.

I am not doing the same, for what i have read, you are handling damage and such things on the master client that acts like an authoritive server.
    In my RPG Kit i am not trying to make the master client as authoritive server, because i could use photon standalone instead and save 2 messges/ request, which i want to achieve in my Multiplayer Kit. The master client handles the ai in my rpg kit this is true, but it could be also any other client, of course you could save here also 1 message using photon standalone. I have no idea to do it in a diffrent way in photon cloud, because you need to sync the ai for all clients. But handling all stuff on the master client could produce a lot of traffic or is it not true, if this is also a secret no problem?

7. ungr

ungr

Awesome! I do prefer good text/picture guides (which is why I love your PDF guide), but this should be good for many others that really need video to understand.

Also I am sorry for not rating this in the store yet. I want to put in a full review when I do it. Its a full 5 stars for sure, but I want to be able to debunk any suspicions on this kit when I put in my review.

8. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

Zerano, ah, sorry, I didn't mean your RPG Kit :) I wrote about your words for Photon Cloud and Photon Server. As I said before, it can be used with Photon Server.

Ungr, thanks! Hope you will like this more after the update. I am working now on the Ability Kit and for this moment it is looking amazing. Also it will be in a custom editor, so you won't need to fill the scripts' fields.

9. MrMassively

MrMassively

@MrSkeletarik

i am not saying bad things, i am just stating facts about photon cloud,but you say your kit is based out of the photon cloud, so no need to buy your kit to be able to assume the facts stated above.

you are right at 1 thing, i havent bought your kit, but i dont need to buy your kit to state the points ive made, since those points are directly related to photon cloud and not your kit.
    you can not make an authoritative server mmo with photon cloud, and yet you claim to.

you never let the client query mysql directly, to store and retrieve persistent data, you never trust the client, rule #1 in any mmo, server is always right.

basic rules for mmos:
    -authoritative servers which photon cloud can not do.
    -server side collisions, photon cloud can not do,
    -Interest management or AOI(area of interest)/network LOD), which photon cloud can not do
    -mmos use wide open or large spaces where where lots of players interact in the same space, this is the reason to use interest management to not choke the server trying to send messages to all players at the same time.sucking the allotment of bandwidth and messages allowed in the photon cloud account in no time. remember photon cloud room based multiplayer networking can
    -you always do your queries to database from server side, not from client directly to remote hosted database. never do such a thing.never ever......

this is a copy and paste statement taken from Nicole from exitgames from their forum taking about photon cloud limit of ccu per room, offcourse from an FPS genre type of game point of view, on a turn base rpg can handle a little bit more but do not expect double of users per room specially if sending too many messages:
    in the other hand, photon standalone server (not cloud) can do all the things above, except server side collisions out of the box, but it is a step closer to achieve mmo.

and you are right of another thing, yes, you state in the thread that you can switch to photon standalone to make mmo, but indeed your claim that out of the box your kit is based out of photon cloud and to be the ultimate mmo. while we all know that photon cloud is
    a room based multiplayer layer that relays messages between clients where there are no authoritative server in this setup.

let me explain to you what i mean, lets say i make a mmo kit with unity networking and claim it to be mmo capable, well, for starter if you know unity and unity networking, you automatically know this can not be possible, no need to buy my kit to be aware of that, because unity networking can not handle mmos in their server, but i claim it to be because i say in my kit that you can switch to ulink networking and make it an mmo capable, but yet my kit out of the box is with unity networking.

same principle your apply to your kit.

i stated the above points in this thread and the past one, so you can explain the reasons why you did such a thing, but instead of explaining your initial logic to use photon cloud and claim it to be mmo capable out of the box, yet you just say that i am wrong(no explanation), after me stating some proven facts about photon cloud.

why dont you just used photon standalone server to buld your mmo kit from the getgo instead of the cloud, that was my point which i could not understand by you making a kit for the photon cloud and claim it to be ultimate mmo where you and i know this is not true.

i am not being mean, nor stating false arguments about your kit since i do not know it yet, but since these are all related to photon cloud, anyone that have used photon cloud knows this. I dont mean to underestimate your work, just want your explanation on why you used this approach to your programming to handle an mmo with the photon cloud.

now there is nothing wrong to use the photon cloud, and my initial point or observation was about the title of your kit, that this should be named multplayer instead of mmo or ultimate mmo, since this is not feasible with the cloud.

best regards.

10. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

MrMassively,
    Well, you didn't read fully again. It can be used with Photon Server. Also the MySQL connection is not directly from the client/server, it is from the PHP file (server in the hosting), it has a system of protection from SQL injections and etc.

I didn't explain you everything step by step in the previous post because I don't like when people don't know the information about the product (even simply the whole description) and they discuss it. Sorry, perhaps it is a little bit rude but you really don't want to look at all aspects - you took only aspects you want (e.g. Photon Cloud) and began to discuss that. You took the parts of my posts and formed your opinion depending on them. And it simply can't be objective because you don't consider other things. If you read the whole thread carefully and if you has the questions or something else after that, I will be glad to discuss it!

11. DevionGames

DevionGames

Ahh sorry that i said anything before. If you provide also the photon standalone request/response handling and ai handling and other stuff for photon server without the need of a master client as server, then i can understand it. Thanks!

12. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I am not saying this to be negative but Mr. is right since these are the right assumptions without all the information. As i state before you would do better sales if you explained more and avoid more of this type of response if you did explain it better.

Mind you I am not saying this is you but these forums are full of people making kits and selling them stating unrealistic abilities. It has been stated and maybe over stated make your game with no coding way too many time when the whole kit they are selling is hard coded. Now again I am not saying this is you at all so please do not take this as a bash session from me. I would dearly like to know more since yes you do start with photon cloud and state it as out of the box mmo. I do not want to call out the others who have said this but they have died out.

I would love to know more about this kit before buying also. Yes we are using zerano's kit to make our multiplayer but that does not limit us to making our game in only that version. If we do well we could go mmo also. And this kit if it is all of what you said would be good to get in its starting stages.

For all of of us best of luck. I would love to know more about it all so I know I am not throwing money away again.

13. ungr

ungr

While I do get your point I also think that the comparison is actually out of proportion. Switching from Photon cloud to photon server is much easier. That is my opinion.

So with what everyone else has said ... MrSkeletarik could just simply state that it is for Photon Server and add 5-10 lines to his guide. Photon Cloud would be a option if you only want a multiplayer game. (correct me if I am wrong)

14. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Well you are wrong, it would involve a lot more than that to go from a client acting as an authorative sever to the photon server being fully authorative.

15. ungr

ungr

Care to explain? Its hard to tell me that the kit will not work out of the box on Photon Server when I am already doing it. Sure I am using load balancing to do it, but its still Photon Server.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2013
  16. MrMassively

MrMassively

well, not sure how much you are familiar with unity networking and ulink or even networking in general, but to do the conversion to ulink is just matter of clicking the "convert" button and modify to use own, proxy and server prefabs for the players, pretty simple, since ulink uses the same format as unity style networking. if you know unity networking then you feel with ulink right at home since most functions have the same name as unity networking with the ulink_ prefix.

and dreamlarp is right,
    from cloud to standalone photon server is a whole lot to it, specially to make it authoritative is way too complicated, not like ulink since ulink takes to check the "is authoritative" box to have an authoritative server and the server will be fully handling all logic even server side collisions. thing that photon server can not achieve with a simple lines of code.

my advice to MrSkeletarik is to work on porting his kit to photon standalone server and code a authoritative server for it, so this way he can back of what he claims to sell, otherwise he might experience more comments from other experienced networking coders about his style of coding a mmo game, specially if he claims to be the ultimate mmorpg kit, believe me, unity users are pretty burnt up with so much kits that claim to offer special features where most fail to deliver, not saying this is the case for MrSkeletarik, but he should rethink it or change his kit title, from mmorpg to multiplayer kit so it will fit the style of coding he is doing.

this is just constructive criticism, hopefully it will help the developer to polish his kit and get a lot of sales.

best wishes.

17. MrMassively

MrMassively

ungr:
    i believe you when you say you can switch from photon cloud to photon server with a few lines of code as you state, but it does not mean the photon server is authoritative, you need a lot of chunk of coding logic to make the photon server fully authoritative. it is a very complicated task and hair pulling

so you are back to square 1 like photon cloud, the only difference is that in the cloud there is no way you can write an authoritative server, but in standalone photon server you can, but you need to write it all the authoritative logic yourself , it does not come with it out of the box.

18. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

Exactly. Its not about running several users at the same time its about handling the data. Cloud cannot do this so for now it is handled by the client witch opens the game to hacks. This is the reason that there is so much talk about this claim. mmo's need to prevent hacks as best they can. And also as Zerano posted a mmo trying to use cloud even if you did not care about hacks would be slow with the redundant passing of data.

I want to see someone make a kit that is "the Ultimate mmo kit" with an authoritative server yet very user friendly. But they will have to demonstrate the features and the editors to this community because too many have claimed this. Just do a search on the asset store for the word "ultimate" and see how many kits there are named this. Then look at the comments for those kits.Please please do make this kit into the Ultimate mmo kit. we would all be happy. But as explained and not even demonstrated it does not look like this one is yet. We all are very happy to take a chance and support a kit in its beginning stages as long as the developer is realistic about what he is making.

19. ungr

ungr

I think you have the wrong idea. I do it without changing any code. All I need to do is launch Photon Server (using Load Balancing). and change 3 edit boxes in Unity. I do not touch the source code at all, through mono development notepad or any other form of editor for programming. I do it right from unity.

Here is a thread I started over on the exitgames forum: http://forum.exitgames.com/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=3243

I assume that the server unity project in the kit is authoritative, but I cannot say for sure since I am still learning how to use the kit.

20. Sphelps

Sphelps

I don't want to have to pay photon cloud subscriptions costs

21. ZeoWorks

ZeoWorks

You do realize photon subscription costs are a lot cheaper for quality than actually renting a Dedicated or VPS Server right? Not to mention photon cloud can be free if you want it to be with a maximum of 20 people online at once.

22. Sphelps

Sphelps

We don't need to rent servers

Last edited: Oct 18, 2013
  23. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

DestinyComp,
    Also if you use Photon Server, you will get 100 people online (at the same time) license for free. It is very convient. Photon Server (and Photon Cloud) are server technologies of high quality.

24. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yea but I was hoping to have it installed in the kit already
    And I am looking for a live edit system

25. MrMassively

MrMassively

yeah, that was the whole discussion from previous posts,

we were wondering why the developer of this kit has taken the cloud route, where an mmo can only done best with photon standalone server and not the cloud for the all above posts reasons and pitfalls.

but by now, we figured the creator of this kit does not look interested on doing the actual port to photon server with an authoritative mode since he not just need to port the network connection to photon server, but to write an actual authoritative server for photon, which this may be very undertaking for the developer and it does requires some deep photon networking skills to achieve it.

unless he is actually thinking of doing so, but the way it looks it may be unlikely he will take the task.

26. ungr

ungr

Well, I have been working with the kit a little more, and the more I work with it the more I do the more I see how much work went into this kit. As I was saying before I was concerned about security at first, but when I actually went and researched some of the functionality used in the kit I found it to be much more secure than I had thought. I actually know a lot more about how people hack MMORPG games that I know how people create them. I understand why people are in doubt about this kit, but I found it to exceed my expectations. I feel it is safe to say that considering the price this is the ultimate MMORPG kit for its price. It is much easier to use than the other MMORPG packages I have tried for unity.

Although I do like the overall kit. I do wish it was using Ulink. There are other bugs etc in the kit that I assume will be taken care of in future releases.

Since security is one of my top concerns I will continue to test it as I go and post back here if it does indeed end up being easy to hack. So far though the concerns of those that do not have the kit seem to be null. (better to be safe than sorry, so I understand :))

Last edited: Oct 19, 2013
  27. MrMassively

MrMassively

@ungr

if security is your concern, i really hate to break it down to you, but you are beating a dead horse with a stick.

one do not need to own the actual kit to know or figure this out. what triggered this long discussion here was 2 factors, the photon cloud, and game play stats handled by client. that is all what it took to figure out what will happen or expect.

and will give you facts and not just assumptions:

-for starters, a unity game can be decompiled and unpacked with your hands down, and there is no science on that, everyone knows this. this is one big red flag all unity developers have to live with it.

-also, if one too lazy to do such a thing, you can only mod the game in memory since all player stats are being handled by client and switch on the fly players stats and positions, cheat engines does this for you, no need to be a hacker nor a programmer to achieve this.

-now when you mentioned the client app does the mysql queries, even tho the kit developers claims the queries are done server side, lets say this is true, as if doing via php scripts the php are in the web server, but you still sending player stats read and writes requests from client, if you mod game memory and alter the stats on the fly you will be submitting players stats to mysql db without any issues. right there you got a big nasty loop hole.

this is why all have to be done thru an authoritative server, the game server needs to do that task, to avoid the client do such nasty cheats.
    in an authoritative game server, all the game logic and player stats are being regulated by the game server, the game server knows all whats going on, players stats, positions etc.. even if the player client tries to cheat and submit a player stat hack ie: speed increment, hp increment, level etc...... since the game server has all this logic, and when client submits hacked request, the server revokes it and discard the hack attempt. as we all mentioned, the server stats and logic is always right, no matter what the client says.

this is every mmos nightmare, and still is for some, that is why most took the authoritative server route looooong time ago and still tweaking the game server by the day to close loopholes. this is the only way to control client hack attempts.

an authoritative server is not just a regular server where a client connects and play, it is a very complicated task, since it need to handle all game logic game server side, collisions, player positions stats etc...

game client all it supposed to do is just send key board strokes to the server and server does the actual gameplay actions.
    the client does not run any logic nor stats, ie: you hit keyboard key "w" "a" "s" "d" the client send the message to server, ie: hey i just clicked on letter "w" from my key board, and the server receives message that client hit "w" key meaning the client wants to move forward request, then server execute the actual game logic function translate player to position xyz, then server sends message to client saying move to xyz position, but if client attempts to modify the position from its end, the server knows it tried to hack, then the server sends other message to client moving player back to the position it deserves or server knows is correct.

now the above example seems a little dull or simple but this is how authoritative server works, they are constantly checking that client does not alter stats and if they do, they always correct it or even shut client down for good is this is the approach you take by coding and authoritative server, and all this concept needs to apply to all game logic, so this is what is called a fully authoritative server, meaning the game server handles all player game logic and correcting if something is not right. hence the word "Authoritative"

but all this can not happen if the mysql player stats are being handled directly from client meaning all important game logic "stats" are being handled by client. even if mysql queries are done with php server side, the client still sending read and write requests to webserver db. and if you hack game client with a cheat engine or just simply decompiling game, then there is your biggest nasty loophole that will kill all your gameplay and your players will own the game.

the above point is the one some of us been trying to make the past posts, where none of this can be fixed if the game is handled by photon cloud, that is why you need photon standalone server to write your authoritative server side game logic, but you need to write it for the server do all this checks and calculations since photon standalone server does not do this out of the box, you create the authoritative server side logic yourself.

hope this is a little bit more clear to you so you understand the concept behind and authoritative server.

regards

28. ungr

ungr

And this is one reason I was confused if this was a authoritative server. The server will not let you change your location. It is done server side.

I really really appreciate your last post it has a lot more meaning and explanation than before. And yes when you bring up decompiling a client that is something that I am leaving out because (even though it takes a long time) pretty much every game can be hacked this way.

All in all I do understand what you are saying about the database. I am still happy I bought the kit though because for my first releases of my game the security does not need to be that deep. I will be doing what I can with MrSkeletarik to see if I can come up with some ideas to help. I really do like his style of making a kit in general, and so I really look forward to imporvement, which he seems willing to do if you get on the same page as him.

Thanks again MrMassively

29. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

Well, the Update 1.2 will be soon.

One of the new instruments is NPC Editor. It allows to create NPCs from the server's project without writing any line of code and in a handy custom editor that makes the process of game's creation even more interesting and easier! :wink:

$UMK_1.2_NPCEditor.png

30. Jaybones

Jaybones

Thanks for the update.
    Will These be included in the 1.2 update?
    • Ability Kit
    • Groups (2-5 Players)
    • Guilds
    • The Talents’ system
    • Bag as an item’s type. The possibility of wearing a few bags at the same time
    • Battleground Kit
    • Dungeon Kit
    • AI Kit

I'm rewriting how my server(client) handles stuff.
    I just wanted to know how u plan on doing AI and combat.
    thanks,
    jay

31. Sphelps

Sphelps

Yes I would like to know

32. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

Update will include NPC Editor, Ability Kit, some imrovements in AI and in creation different items (for drop, quests, craft and etc.), easy use of Photon Server and some fixes of bugs.
    Ability Kit will really imrove the combat because it is either for player or for enemies.
    That list includes the information about several updates, not only the next one.

33. nixter

nixter

Glad you're still working on this.

There are very few multiplayer RPG kits available and supported. As an Asset Store user, I appreciate having options.

Don't get discouraged.

34. ungr

ungr

Will the next version have enemy spawning?

Also as a suggestion I would suggest making it so that the database server uses 2 accounts. 1 for the server and 1 for the client, and give the servers account (the account that the server will access the database) permission to write to the database server and the clients account to have read only. When I say server in this case I mean the server side built in unity.

Thanks for updating us on the progress.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2013
  35. eskimojoe

eskimojoe

@DreamLarp, @MrMassively,
    Here's what I understand for a server needs to be authorative:

- Needs to be a server-based solution.
    - The client sends WASD and the server has server-side physics, rigid grid emulation so it can interpolate the positions to prevent cheating...

- The server-side is a non-Unity session and emulates Unity things such as MathF, MonoBehavior, Vector2, Vector3, Mesh[], Terrain, RigidBody, CharacterController

- The server-side must faithfully emulate a terrain (outside Unity) and then spawn items inside it, emulate fighting, behaviour tree, pathfinding, AI, make the NPCs walk on waypoints, NPC AI on server, NPC combat on server,

- The server-side must use a database or high-speed high-performance database to make sure the speed is very fast.

- The server-side must emulate Unity faithfully such that all the codes or many codes work outside Unity in a headless, GUI-less environment.

- The server emulates Unity gravity.

Is that how the server would be authoritative? (Is there anything else I might have missed?)

36. cbri

cbri

Once you buy the kit do you get the upgrades at no cost?

37. ungr

ungr

I emailed MrSkeletarik asking the same question before I bought the pack, and he said yes.

38. Sphelps

Sphelps

when can we see an update

39. Tristan1ogd

Tristan1ogd

When updates are released, will we lose anything custom or changes we have made to the code or resources? I am thinking about purchasing but do not want to start over at each update point.

Thanks!

40. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

Starting from update 1.2 (the next release), you won't lose anything because I developed the special system of storing customers data. It is the reason of update's delay. Now we are doing some final local tests and if we don't find some bugs, it will be published in the next week.
    At the same time the video-tutorials will be published. They will be free and available for everyone.

Also starting from the next update the Photon Server Technology will be officially supported by this Kit. So you will be able to use Photon Server, Photon Cloud or both of them that gives you a mighty advantage.

I am really sorry about such long delay. In my opinion, it is better to publish working and better update, than an update with bugs. Hope you will like it.

41. Tristan1ogd

Tristan1ogd

I appreciate the super fast response, at least to my question. I will be giving this kit a whirl as it seems really cool, thanks for the hard work!

As another quick question, how hard is it to change the models (graphic models) used for various in game items such as enemies and the player characters? Is it relatively simple?

42. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

Yeah, it is pretty easy to change models, especially enemies. The changing of player's model is more difficult but also everyone can do it since Update 1.2.

43. cbri

cbri

Hi Everyone, I have just finished reading through all of the comments and I understand some a bit more and some a bit less. I am confused on how to setup the photon server? Where do I download it from? What platform does it run on? How do I tell it to talk to my database server? Can I load mysql / etc on the photon server itself or do I HAVE to use another host? What are the security configurations to have photon server (or cloud) interact with a separate server just handling DB?

Thanks for any info!

Craig

ps: I just bought the kid the other day and so far it seems very well done!

44. MrSkeletarik

MrSkeletarik

Hello! Thank you for purchasing!

You can use your own host or the local one for MySQL Database. There is a PHP-files that makes the connections to the Database, so it is quite secure. The table of connection looks like:
    Project code -> PHP-files -> MySQL Database and MySQL Database -> PHP -> Project code​

If you are interested in details, the Project code is consists of JavaScript and C# scripts. This process, the way of their connection, is described in the Documentaion (the 1st Part). MySQL/PHP and Photon Server/Cloud are separated from each other for security reasones.

And here is a small guide how to set up the Photon Server for this moment:

0) Install the Ultimate MMORPG kit as described in the setup guide that comes with it.

1) Download Photon Server from official site (you need to sign up first): https://www.exitgames.com/Download. And extract the files.

2) Launch the photoncontrol.exe from the folder that has the correct files for your version of windows.

3) In both server and client unity projects go to the assets>Networking>Resources folder and select the PhotonServerSettings.asset file. In the inspector view change the hosted to SelfHosted (not cloud) and the Server Address to the address where the Photon Server is located that you are connecting to, and remove the code in the App ID box.

4) Now click on the running photon control located in the running programs section (bottom right of the screen) hover over LoadBalancing and either select start as application or start as service. Make sure the server is running by waiting for about a minute, and then launch the server part in Unity. Once that is running (server works) then launch the client and login you should see the name of your server.

Hope I answered your questions and did it clear. If you have any others, I will be open to them.
    MrSkeletarik

45. cbri

cbri

Thanks so much that all makes sense, the only thing I'm unsure of is on #3 modifying both the client and server? I know how to change the client but what's the server you are talking about? Sorry if this sounds stupid I'm new to this stuff. I'm going over the documentation but I'm still unsure.

Thanks!

Craig

46. ungr

ungr

As for Mysql and the PHP files, you need to download XAMPP at http://www.apachefriends.org/en/xampp.html it runs on Linux, Windows Mac, or solaris.

When you install XAMPP you may need to launch it manually by going to (root drive):\XAMPP and launching the control executable. Be sure to run both the mysql and apache servers. The PHP files go in the root folder where the apache server is hosting its website (Root Drive:\xampp\htdocs by default), and mysql will need setup with the *.doc file included with the kit. It might be hard to understand at first, but if you study the code in the doc file and look at the setup window for setting up a database it becomes more clear. After that is setup you need to change the settings in the client scenes. Look for the WEB_**** game objects. Change the URL (URL is where the PHP files are located, 127.0.0.1 if you are hosting on the same machine) and hashcode. After that you will need to change the PHP files, the settings you need to change are the first 4 settings (connetions section) of the file (open in notepad).

Hope that helps.

47. ungr

ungr

With the kit you get 2 unity projects. one is the client and one is the server. To find the other server project look in the Assets/WorldofVikingcraft folder. You will need to locate this folder outside of unity and move/copy these other files, and extract them. The server project is in the Server.rar file. once extracted you can open the server project by selecting the folder you extracted.

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  48. cbri

cbri

Thanks for the help Ungr! Just one more question, where do I put the server files now that I've located them? Do I move them to my IIS directory with the PHP/js files or?

Craig

49. Sphelps

Sphelps

You can run it from desk top

50. cbri

cbri

So it compiles to an EXE and you just run it in the background on the machine running my Photon server? I'm having trouble opening the server project in unity, which file is the project file I should open? Everything looks like it wants me to open it in Visual Studio?

Thanks!

Craig the n00b

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013