Search Unity

[RELEASED] Lockpicking Safe-cracking Toolkit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by puppeteer, Sep 18, 2013.

1. puppeteer

puppeteer

LOCKS+ gives you a powerful locking system you can easily integrate into your FPS game. It can work as a standalone project, and can also be integrated into your current FPS project.

Standalone Demo (exe)

Works with Ultimate FPS Framework

Works with Realistic FPS Prefab too

PACKAGE INCLUDES

• A bomb you need to defuse by repeating a button sequence correctly, or it blows up.
    • A door with a dial pad, you must enter the correct numbers/letters in order to unlock it
    • A chest you need to lockpick by finding the sweetspot and keeping your lockpick inside it as you turn the lock cylinder.
    • A safe you need to crack by detecting the hotspot and listening for the dial as you turn it in the correct direction.
    • A standard locpicking system similar to games like Fallout and Dying Light.
    • A standalone demo showing off several examples of the Safe Cracking lock system, which also works on mobile.
    • Standalone demos showing the different lock types, which also works on mobile.
    • Video guides to show the basics of the lock types, and how to integrate them into RFPS and UFPS.

Also includes all the old locks types from LHToolkit

Special thanks to judah4 and Jordan Swapp for the original (LHToolkit) C# port

Last edited: Mar 8, 2022
  2. TheNorthridge

TheNorthridge

Nice! Always loved this type of lockpick from the Elder Scrolls and Fallout titles.

Will it work with popular Unity First Person Shooter Packs?

3. puppeteer

puppeteer

Glad you liked it!

It should work within any environment that activates stuff. The example above with AngryBots didn't require any special code change.

$Untitled-3.jpg

Take a look at the image above. This is the original door component for AngryBots. It basically detects EnterTrigger by an object with a tag (ex:player) and then runs several functions (OnPlay) on several objects (The sliding doors).

$Untitled-1.jpg

Here on the right you can see my script which I added to the door prefab. In order for it to run I simply took the names of the functions that open the door and put them in as the Activate functions in my script (Figure 1), and then in order to start the lockpicking gameplay I put ManualActivate (Which is a built in function inside LHcontainer) in the original AngryBots door component (Figure 2). This way when I touch the door I get the message to start the lockpicking game, and when I succeed in lockpicking the door, I activate the original door activation functions.

Here's the AngryBots webplayer if you want to try it out

BTW, do you have a specific FPS package in mind?

4. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks you all for the purchases!

An important update has been submitted:
    - Hotfix for the in-package demo, which had some unassigned activate animations.
    - Added more functionality to allow you to set which animation to run by name when a container is activated.

Should be live in the next few days, I'll keep you all posted.

5. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

Any chance of a C# version?

6. puppeteer

puppeteer

@MoHoe: I'm collaborating with the very awesome developer Landern who will focus on porting packages to C#.

7. hitking100

hitking100

With all the promised updates, this looks like a musthave.

I'll probably buy it tonight.

As far as the updates are concerned, i think this one should be added as well.

$screenshot18-custom.JPG

8. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

oh that's great puppeteer, thank you. I purchased it anyway :)

hitking100 are you going to add your one to the package?

9. hitking100

hitking100

No, that's not mine, i think that one is from another Elderworlds RPG, thought it would be great if this one could be added to the package at a later stage.

10. judah4

judah4

This package is great! My only problems with it is that it is only in unityScript and the lockpicking models dont have anything for fantasy, but neither where really a big problem. I was able to convert it to c# easily and the fantasy models shouldn't be to hard to find or make.

This is a really great package that I can definitely use in my projects.

11. puppeteer

puppeteer

@MoHoe: The one hitking100 showed is from The Elder Scrolls: Oblivion.

I experimented with it for a while before doing the Fallout system. I still have some code for it, so I should revisit it shortly.

I also noticed ESO are using a new system:
    $Lockpicking_(Online).jpg

Anyone tried it in-game?

12. puppeteer

puppeteer

I want to thank you again for converting the package to C#. This is just amazing!

I'll make a fantasy model for the lock just for you :D

Guys, judah4 has contributed his C# conversion and I'll be putting it in the next update.

13. BuildABurgerBurg

BuildABurgerBurg

YEY !!! judah4 and puppeteer are awesome!!!!! :D

14. hitking100

hitking100

Great indeed...and asset bought, well worth the money.

15. judah4

judah4

Your welcome and thank you for future fantasy models :) Oh, and double check it still functions as intended

16. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.03 submitted:

Added Chest and Chest Lock prefabs. They are identical in functionality to the door locks but have a medieval ( one might say Skyrimish ) style to them

$sdsds.jpg $dsdsdsdsd2.jpg

Made especially per judah4's request :)

17. andrydeen

andrydeen

Hi asset is great , I'm working on a iOS game , and need a mobile controls for your asset ,as one of the solutions I propose to add two new buttons instead of A/D (as shown in the picture). And in demo scene when unlocked door or safe play audio but doesnt play "Open" animation .
    Thank you.

Attached Files:

18. puppeteer

puppeteer

@andrydeen: That's a great suggestion, added to the update list. If I manage to get my other package (MvR) mobile controls to work, I may take the chance and update controls for LST too.

I'm not sure I understand what you mean with "in demo scene when unlocked door or safe play audio but doesnt play "Open" animation". Is that a bug you found or something not assigned in the demo?

19. Jaimi

Jaimi

Same thing for me - none of the doors actually play the open animation. It's there, and the message is sent, and received, and the function called, it's just not playing the animation to open it. I was waiting for the C# version before I posted a bug, but the update didn't seem to include it?

Last edited: Sep 25, 2013
  20. daisySa

daisySa

This is really nice. However, I'm using the chestLockpick prefab and it's disabling all audio as soon as the lockpick minigame starts (resulting in the message "There are no audio listeners in the scene" spamming the console).

Anyone else had this issue?

21. puppeteer

puppeteer

The last update (1.03) was for the added chest prefab. The next update with the C# took some time to make sure it was working, as well as more functionality that was added since judah4's contribution.

The update will soon be submitted, but it may take up to a week before it reaches the store.

@Jaimi: Did you try the latest update (1.03)?

22. Jaimi

Jaimi

Yes - the chest is there, and it opens. The doors don't open though. Not sure what the issue is, and not really concerned - I was just confirming what the other person had written.

23. puppeteer

puppeteer

When a container is activated it runs the animation based on the name you set in the component (the var to set is "Activation Animation"). For example if you set "Take 001" as the animation, it will run it on activation. If there is no animation set, it will run the default animation from the animation component. My assumption is that there is no default animation set in the animation component, or the name of the animation in the Activation Animation var is empty. Would love to see a screenshot of your component.

24. Jaimi

Jaimi

Sure - it all looks correct, it's the unmodified scene.

$Door.png

25. puppeteer

puppeteer

@Jaimi: When the door activates but doesn't animate, does it show a message in the console?

"The animation state could not be played because it couldn't be found!"

or something similar?

26. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.10 done and ready to go: ( just waiting for the previous update 1.09 with C# port to pass through )

- Added mobile controls for Lock and SafeLock. The code is all placed in the same script which detects if you have Android/iPhone and assigns the controls accordingly.

Lock controls: You can rotate the lockpick by swiping the top of the screen, and if you touch and hold the bottom of the screen, you start unlocking.

Safe controls: You can move the Stethoscope by swiping the right side of the screen, and you can rotate the dial by swiping the left side of the screen.

$swipe.jpg

Last edited: Oct 4, 2013
  27. andrydeen

andrydeen

Thank you puppeteer ! great upgrade.

28. puppeteer

puppeteer

You're welcome andrydeen :D

Another thing I forgot to mention: At first I made the icons GUItextures, but then opted for a simple 3d quad with the icon on it, because it's much easier for users to handle and place around, and it scales perfectly.

29. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Nice update and like the c# part of it (hope c# will come to your other asset too).
    Would like to test out the mobile controls :)

What i would like to see in a future update is some kind of sci fi themed version of this where i somehow crack an electronik door or safe.

30. puppeteer

puppeteer

There will be all kinds of ways to unlock/disarm/hack things in the pack, some of them based on known games, and other original concepts. You can follow things as they are being made in the WIP thread:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/200656-WIP-Lockpicking-amp-Safecracking-Toolkit

Also, MvR Tower Defense is being converted to C# by Jordan Swapp :D

31. puppeteer

puppeteer

A little update regarding the 1.09 update. Apparently it didn't go all the way through and got stuck in review limbo due to a technical upload problem.

I just resubmitted the 1.09 package ( with c# port ) and it should hopefully be accepted by 16th of the month. Once it goes through I'll submit the mobile controls package along with a new game mechanic: Bomb Defusal :D

$dabomb.jpg

If all goes well, you can expect to have the new mobile controls and bomb defuse game mechanic by 25th of the month.

32. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.09 is live:

- Code ported to C# thanks to judah4 and Jordan Swapp. Pakcage now contains both versions.
    - Added inventory system that allows the player to have several tools with their counts. When interacting with a container, the lock belonging to that container checks if the player has at least 1 of the required tool in order to unlock it.

Get it now on the store!

33. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.15 is live:

- Added a new bomb defusing game. Cut random color-coded wires and try to defuse the bomb before time runs out. Be careful not to cut the wrong wires or the whole thing will go boom!

- Mobile controls for LHlock, LHsafeLock, LHcontainer are implemented. The script detects if we are using a PC or an iOS/Android device and sets the controls accordingly.

- Added misc scripts used mainly in the preview: LHEffect creates an effect at a target position, LHDestroyObject destroys a target object with a delay, LHSplat creates a splat effect on-screen, LHLookAt is used to make the icons look at the camera at all times.

- Added the basis for the next game type: Panel Lock (still a work in progress).

Get the package here!

34. puppeteer

puppeteer

The next lock type in the LSToolkit collection is complete. In this lock you are presented with an exposed panel with wired plugs in it. move the plugs to the correct slots without letting the wires intersect. This puzzle is based on the puzzle from Resident Evil Revelations.

Here's a gameplay video with 3 puzzle examples:

And of course you can try it yourself in the webplayer here:
    http://puppeteerinteractive.com/Webplayers/LSTpanel/

The panel lock will be uploaded to the store in update 1.2, along with general improvements to the other locks.

35. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

Hey, the panel lock mechanic looks great! Any idea when it'll make it into the asset store? Thanks!

36. puppeteer

puppeteer

37. Kemp-Sparky

Kemp-Sparky

Thanks for the update! The panel lock is a nice addition for modern or scifi settings.

38. Hormic

Hormic

Very nice asset, hopefully it is still supported and maybe enhanced with the combination lock and the other locksystems mentioned above.

I have a question about the Audio Listener.
    I use the Standard First Person Controller and when the lockpicking starts, i get the message:
    I think it's because of the player deactivation during the lockpicking, but with the camera as child from the player the Audio Listener is also deactivated.
    Can you help me to fix this issue?
    Is it possible to generate a new AudioListener during the picking action, or is another workaround suggested?

Thanks for help!

39. eridani

eridani

Does this support key functionality? In other words, if the player is holding the appropriate key, the lock will simply open without having to pick the lock.

40. giraffe1

giraffe1

Last post from the author is march and last update to the asset was in april. Is this still supported? will be be updated to work in unity 5?

41. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hello,

I've been a bit sidetracked from my older projects, but I'm now actively working to update them with new content.

Right now I'm updating MvR Tower Defense to the new Unity 4.6 UI, and will do the same with the Lockpicking toolkit.

Follow my twitter to get updates:

https://twitter.com/PuppeteerInt

eridani likes this.
  42. blackbird

blackbird

is this asset still supported ?

43. puppeteer

puppeteer

Yes, it's still supported at a slower pace than I'd like. Most of the support questions arrive through mail or in my forum inbox so they don't usually appear here, but if you need any help with something specific just ask me.

This was one of my earliest projects and I've learned many things since then. It's still dear to me and I hope to one day be able to get it to its full potential as I had imagined, which is why I'm thinking of making a total remake to the whole project, make it more focused and easier to integrate with the popular FPS systems.

44. blackbird

blackbird

i m not a coder and i want to use it but i have no idea to implement into my current project can i send you my third person shooter asset and help me in intergrate your system ?let me know please

45. puppeteer

puppeteer

Sure, send it over and I'll take a look. If it's not overtly complicated I'll try to integrate one of the locks as an example in your project and send it back.

46. blackbird

blackbird

great thank you very much !!!

47. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hey all,

I'm updating the package to work with the latest version of RFPS, so if anyone wants to test out the new lock, send me a message with your order number and I'll give you the updated package ahead of submission.

48. puppeteer

puppeteer

I had a good testing session with Karl who also owns RFPS, and managed to make it work with the latest version of RFPS again. So I'll be updating all the locks and pushing it to the store ASAP. I'll also make a new video guide if needed.

49. puppeteer

puppeteer

A call to anyone who wants to integrate LHToolkit into RFPS 1.23:
    Contact me with the relevant invoice so I can give you a link to the updated package.

The new integration video is simpler than ever ( 2 minutes ):

50. puppeteer

puppeteer

Made a new video for integrating the lock system into Realistic FPS Prefab 1.27:

Required package linked in description.

Hormic and blackbird like this.