Search Unity

MOBA complete project for Asset Store

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by perick, Sep 17, 2013.

1. perick

perick

Hi Guys,

We at Sertão Games have just developed a simple MOBA (Dota, LoL, HoN) project from scratch in our spare time. It's fully functional with Unity's client/server network for LAN-play, creep AI, leveling hero, lanes (waypoint based pathfinding), etc.

Links:
    Binaries: Windows, Mac, Linux
    Source code
    Post mortem

Screenshots:
    $mini-moba.png

UPDATE (new screenshots from the shared version):

We're investigating if there is further interest in a more complete version, with the following features, to be commercialized in the Asset Store:

- Items, loot and extensible hero types;
    - Multiple Lanes;
    - Clean code + Documentation;
    - (maybe) Internet networking;
    - other features you find interesting...

Is anybody interested in such a Project?

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 18, 2013
    stvster likes this.
  2. FernandoRibeiro

FernandoRibeiro

Wow! Really nice =D
    Is anybody interested in such a Project? -> I take this will help a lot of people!

3. MrMassively

MrMassively

Just what i am looking for.

quick question,
    i see you mentioned for lan based games, but can this be used for multiplayer online with a matchmaking system, group vs group, match-me with a group, lobby chat, friends, guild, global chat an private chat?
    if so, can you elaborate on the matchmaking system, ie: is it per player lvl, or account lvl based?

i am interested in the multiplayer online matchmaking system with this moba, just like LoL or the other alike.

not sure about the LAN only, but am really interested in the online version with a matchmaking system.

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  4. perick

perick

Well, what I can do:
    - Internet play (YES);
    - In game chat (YES, can do);
    - match-making (maybe, but a very simple form);
    - friends and global chat (out of the scope - there are other projects in the Asset Store for these).

The problem with the later two is that you're probably thinking in a MOBA with dedicated servers, which is not feasible for an Asset Store project, as it would required separate code and machines running on a cloud-based infra structure.

Our goal is to have a complete project that you can just download, import, run, and then begin customizing...:)

5. MrMassively

MrMassively

thanks perick,

i see, well unity networking is not really good for this type of games since it requires to instantiate a separate game instance per game and unity networking is quite limited,

but have you thought about uLink networking? uLink has a couple of demos that can work with this project flawlessly
    the lobby sample http://developer.muchdifferent.com/unitypark/Tutorials/uLobbyBasicLobby
    and the unipark suite demo http://developer.muchdifferent.com/unitypark/Tutorials/UnityParkSuiteDemo

any of these 2 demos can be incorporated really well in your moba project without too much hassle, just add a simple matchmaking system with it and you are ready to go,

i mean i am not a uLink promoter or have anything to do with them, but i think this will come very handy to your project to make it a true online MOBA with it own authoritative server and very scalable one for large moba game
    after all uLink has an unlimited trial while development.

just a thought

6. perick

perick

I'm studying other options as well, such as Photon, which also includes a demo/trial for those who download the project. I'll take a look at uLink, thanks...:)

7. MrMassively

MrMassively

you are most welcome,
    remember, that what may sell better is a more affordable solution for backend, so far uLink is the more robust because it supports server side physics and collisions, plus a true authoritative server out of the box plus the indie license is only $700 and unlimited users/trial while development and compared to photon $3500 license or Smartfox $5000 license.
    plus the last 2 do not have server side physics or collisions out of box.

like i said, i do not work with uLink nor am a promoter, but looks like your project is pretty much tailored for uLink without a doubt IMO.

but i suppose youll be the judge of that.

anyways looking forward for the free version demo to play around, if this is something i can really use for my project, ill be the first one to buy the full version.

Are you releasing the free demo today?

8. perick

perick

Yes, but later. I'm cleaning the project from non-free assets, and finishing a couple of optimizations.

Probably in 4 or 5h more, because I'll write the blog post as well (I developed the basic version in less than 24h, and the blog post will show the step-by-step progress).

9. perick

perick

@MrMassively

I'm thinking in using a hybrid solution:
    - Unity's networking for LAN play (so those who buy the project can create LAN-only games without the need for a uLink or Photon license);
    - uLink or Photon (or similar) for internet play (so those interested in developing a fully featured moba);

Right now I'm also designing the item and ability-tree systems. What do you think will be more approachable (from a developer/buyer point of view - I can do either):
    1 - A data-based (JSON files) approach for units, items and abilities?
    2 - A prefab/gameObject based system?

10. MrMassively

MrMassively

for item and ability tree prefabs will be the easiest and simple way to go for most buyers,

but seems like Json may be the most applicable due of performance, i personally haven't used Json , but by doing a quick glance at it, seems similar as xml based database , right?
    so i assume will make the performance and organization better. by using a database driven for items and abilities

but if you think prefabs wont be much performance loss, then prefabs may be the one imo.
    if there is lots of performance increase and database organization by using Json then Json may be the best approach.

maybe someone else may want to pitch in and corroborate, that way you may have a broad approach of needs from other devs.

11. perick

perick

Main advantage of using a data-driven approach, such as using JSON (yes, a simpler XML, with tons of parsers for Unity) is the possibility to store all units, items, etc, in a database, and hence simplifying customization, remote storage (server) and updating (for balancing purposes).

However, I agree that Prefabs will be easier for the majority of buyers.

The reason I'm asking is to make sure I use the best one from the point of view of the developers in this community.

I personally use JSON for our games.

12. MrMassively

MrMassively

well, if you are doing a hybrid, then you can use prefabs for the LAN based project since wont be much of a demand since will be for a limited or small multiplayer project.

and use Jason for the actual online multiplayer to increase performance since most developers wanting to do a full scale moba will definitely want to go the Json database way or even MySQL. I too prefer Json or MySql since am planning to do a online Moba hoping handling several thousands of players simultaneously hopefully with uLink.

13. perick

perick

Thanks for the feedback... Hope more people can join our discussion. I'll definitely do the project.

We're finishing the basic version with source code here... This is how it will look like with only free assets:
    $orcs.png

14. MrMassively

MrMassively

thank you for the update,

let me know when you guys have a demo ready, ill be glad to test drive it and give you some more feedback about it.

thanks again

15. perick

perick

16. MrMassively

MrMassively

Hi perick,

ok, been testing the source project from github and found a discrepancy.
    seems like the project failed to import the Orc mesh, therefore the CreepPrefab and the HeroPrefab are missing the Orc meshes and required animation calling from scripts or failed to import the model since there is not models visible, just the healthbar when in play mode

i tried to look for it in the project but did not find it.

i havent looked at the binary project yet, but so far am looking at the source version from github

17. perick

perick

Hi MrMassively,

We're developing straight from this Git repository.

The lead designer is doing some adjustments in the Main scene. I'll take a look at the project to see if everything is fine.

Ps.: The code for this version is a bit Messy, and not optimized at all (after all, it was done in 24h).

18. perick

perick

Hey,

I know what's the issue... We sent .blend (Blender) original files for the models. If you don't have blender I think it doesn't work straight from the sources.

We'll update the project with FBX models... We'll let you know...

19. perick

perick

DONE. You can download the sources again. Now the Orc models are FBX files and should load fine under windows and Mac, even without Blender installed.

20. MrMassively

MrMassively

thank you,

the orc now shows ok,

found othe issue, when single player mode, after certain time 3 mins or so or when one scores 1 point, the game crashes, tested it on standalone build and the unity editor both crash to a point that the app freezes and have to end process via the task manager.

no error logs tho.

21. perick

perick

I'll test for this one here...

22. perick

perick

Couldn't reproduce this one here...

Tried running standalone server, died many times, many minutes, no crash...

Tried running two instances (one build and one in editor), connected as client and server, same test: many kills (points), many minutes, no crash...

Don't know what the issue is...

What's the version of Unity you're using? Ours is 4.2.1

23. MrMassively

MrMassively

i am using 4.2.0f4
    and still crashes after a few mins playing, it just freezes, weird no error logs nothing to check for.

maybe the unity version i am using may be the issue.

will see if i can download latest and test

24. perick

perick

Updated the project with new props and initial screen (just cosmetic changes, and a couple of script modifications, but nothing substantial).

Here are the new screenshots:
    $screen01.png
    $screen02.png
    $screen03.png
    $screen04.png
    $screen05.png

25. dpitkevics

dpitkevics

Great thing!
    Looking for a best way to create MOBA game too. Went through many different game engines and found noone more suitable than Unity (this is for me).
    If needed someone to join Your team as a programmer, then contact me.
    Also, I am looking for a team to develop my MOBA game and if anybody is interested, then contact me too.
    Best thing is to email me dirrectly: daniels.pitkevics@gmail.com or You can just write a PM here.
    This really makes me happy, that there are people who works open source :) Keep it going!

sSsaiyan likes this.
  26. vince7pix

vince7pix

Thanks a lot for sharing this, I'm a quite confirmed c4d user starting in unity (somehow because of you) and I start to play around your project.
    I actually try to replace your Orc with my own mesh and fbx loop and this is not coming as a simple drag and drop :p.

If there is a start of a training team somewhere around here let me know. From concept/artwork/mod/rig/animation/export....and...and then I'm lost :)

27. JoeeyIreland

JoeeyIreland

Does anyone know how to solve the problem with the connected as client people don't get to see the health HUD and other textures ???

28. aanimation

aanimation

im really appreciate for Perick, really helpfull, i need an tutorial

29. volbil

volbil

Does anyone know how to solve the problem with the connected as client people don't get to see the health HUD and other textures ???

30. az3pic

az3pic

Hey can I use this source in a project. With credit of course.

31. aanimation

aanimation

@volbil
    im using this project, thanks for @perick,

actually, im convert it to Photon Networking, cos there we dont need an server, exceptly u using selfhosted.
    about client dont get see the HUD health, i just thougth in code not set as Network.isClient option

32. perick

perick

I'm reviving this thread because I'm planning to rewrite this whole project using Photon and/or UNet, with voice chat and other features... If you guys are interested in a pack like this, I'll finish it and release in the asset store...

33. yhummel

yhummel

@perick, just do it :) I will be the first customer

perick likes this.
  34. perick

perick

I already started coding. Will do it with a starcraft-like setting. I'll create a new thread this weekend (in the asset store sub forum) and link it here. It will be published by Exit Games (makers of Photon Network), just like my other Asset Pun Rally.

stvster likes this.
  35. stvster

stvster

Definitely like the Photon option.
    Looks really good.

36. BryanO

BryanO

Photon Please

37. perick

perick

Hi Bryan,

I've been working hard for the past 2 weeks on this...

And Yes, it's being developed over Photon Cloud, using events and RPCs to avoid realtime transform sync (which would be dead-slow for dozens of minions + heros). I can tell you it's getting awesome.

As of now, I have 24 scripts, with ~50 lines of code each (1200 loc total - very modular and organised), and most features are ready (heros, abilities, minions, items, item store, etc - all networked). The measured net load for 2 clients, with 2 heros + 60 minions was around 6 KBps).

I'll probably finish coding by next week, and then spend the next 3 polishing visuals (modeling, texturing, animating) and doing item/weapon balance. I'll be at GDC in San Francisco next month with a playable demo for those interested.

Please, follow the new official thread for the pack (under asset store):
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/early-preview-photon-m-o-b-a-mech-online-battle-arena.384094/