Search Unity

1. Unity 6 Preview is now available. To find out what's new, have a look at our Unity 6 Preview blog post.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity is excited to announce that we will be collaborating with TheXPlace for a summer game jam from June 13 - June 19. Learn more.
    Dismiss Notice

Virtual Webcam for Live Streaming - New Asset Proposal

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by AndrewRH, Sep 16, 2013.

1. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Hi!

We had an idea to create a plugin for Unity that would create a virtual webcam on your system and stream the Unity visuals and audio to the virtual camera.

• This would allow developers you easily share their Unity development progress over a Skype/Hangout chat with other deverlopers/publishers.
    • It would also allow developers to expose their game as a virtual webcam so that their players could easily stream their live game play uStream/JustinTV etc.
    • Finally it would easily expose Unity game output to other software video such as Virtualdub, After Effects etc and this could be used to make recordings.

We're just not sure if this is something that anyone would want... Do you think something like this would be useful? Comments?

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  2. imtrobin

imtrobin

Yes, if you could do this with acceptable performance on mobile

3. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

This would be for PC only to start with..Mac support coming later if there's enough interest. Mobile support I'm not sure about as I don't know whether we could create a virtual webcam....

4. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

*bump* any interest?

5. Prasanna K

Prasanna K

This is interesting. I am a little new to unity, trying to figure out how a game can be shared to Skype via a virtual webcam driver. Can you elaborate more on how you plan to stream unity visuals to a virtual camera? I am particularly trying to figure out how to render Unity output buffer to a DirectX surface so that it can be sent to a AV stream driver filter. Is your approach something similar?

6. AndrewRH

AndrewRH

Yes, we would write a native plugin to grab the Unity output from the GPU frame buffer or render target and then steam it to our virtual webcam device so that 3rd party apps (like Skype or a web streaming app) could broadcast the Unity output.

So far there doesn't seem to be a great deal of interest so I'm not sure this is something people actually want/need :)

7. imtrobin

imtrobin

I'm actually very interested in this.

8. dreamlarp

dreamlarp

I would love to see a demo. Yes I am interested.

9. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I also think this would be very useful.

10. Kmilocho

Kmilocho

In this moment I need some like that!

11. HDGMax

HDGMax

Having the possibility to render Unity to a virtual Webcam would offer a lot of possibilities. I also need something like that. Does it it exist already?

12. Straafe

Straafe

Did anything ever come to fruition with this project?

13. leavittx

leavittx

14. Straafe

Straafe

@leavittx I've used that, and it worked well (been around a year since I tried it, though). Looks like it's been updated since then. There's another one here (https://github.com/schellingb/UnityCapture), that seems to be an improvement overall, but unfortunately that one doesn't seem to work with firefox in case you need your camera to work in that browser.

15. leavittx

leavittx

@Straafe Thanks for pointing me out to UnityCapture! I think I've seen it recently, but haven't tried yet. UnityCam didn't worked too nice - got it working inside OBS, but not Zoom or Skype (they both are 32-bit apps IIRC). Did you have any luck with the latter apps with UnityCapture? That's my goal more or less

16. Straafe

Straafe

It's definitely worth a shot, it seemed like an improvement over UnityCam except for the fact that it didn't work in Firefox. Btw, if OP ever did restart this asset/project, I'd still be interested.

17. SB

SB

I need this urgently, for Windows and Mac. I've been looking for a professional solution for a while now, not very successfully.

18. miraclestar

miraclestar

I need this !!Now live streaming is very popular !

Do you have this on sell?

19. miraclestar

miraclestar

I need HDRP support,can't find any solution

20. nouman_ilyas

nouman_ilyas

Does it support MAC? or does UnityCam supports MAC?