Search Unity

Omega Void WIP.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by DeadKenny, Sep 15, 2013.

1. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

#Latest#
    First development video. Sorry it took so long, I had some unpredictable issues I had to deal with. Remember its very WIP, dont take this as a trailer of a final product, much is left to be done.

//Latest pictures
    ThilakshaEkanyakeBuggySunset.png

//Latest videos

//NB This second video has some bad crackling. Its from the video recorder, NOT like that in game.

#
    #Old#
    $GameScreen01ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Well I have been working on my first game for about 6 months now. One man. I just wanted to post a pic to see what people might think from a glance at it.

Its an open world retroish Sandboxish/rougelike game. The story is all secret and under heavy thought as we speak, but its not the usual hero saves the world thats for sure.

It is meant to be somewhat simplistic and cartoonish in style.

Here is a screen, tell me what you are feeling from it? Looks dumb/interesting/good/bad to you?

Its an editor screen on good detail level, not the full monty.

#

Last edited: Dec 11, 2015
    chelnok and TheFurryDev like this.
  2. georetro

georetro

It looks pretty good. The terrain is nice but could do with some more scenery. It looks a bit like halo but I like it :) Good luck man

3. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man, yeah I have plenty left to do. I am mostly busy tackling the AI at the moment.

The terrain is on a Mars like planet so there won't be that much to see other than rocks, sand and mountains.

4. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

$GameScreen02ThilakshaEkanayake.png New screenshot.

Busy experimenting to get the final art style, that is why you see those strange contours in the skybox. . I don't really want it to be an ongoing WIP type game so I am rather serious about finishing this.

Vehicles are important factors in the game, so they will be valued as important things are. You will pay for your ride! Although you can go on foot if your brave enough or smart enough.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  5. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

$GameScreen03ThilakshaEkanayake.png $GameScreen04ThilakshaEkanayake.png Realistic tanks and car handling.

Well relatively realistic, not some kind of simulation.

Right now I am busy going over all the fundamentals of the code in the game I started off with. Fixing it up and fighting very hard with everything . lol holy crap its making me mad with rage, especially the shadows, but eh the rage is working slowly.

6. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

$GameScreen05NightThilakshaEkanayake.png Night, Civilian Dwelling. WIP.

7. MickM

MickM

Visual style is fine if the gameplay is good.... What IS the gameplay?

8. Paparakas

Paparakas

That's what I'm wondering.

9. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Its like Skyrim mixed with Battlefield mixed with a teeny tiny bit of Terraria but in a futuristic spacy world with vehicles and no leveling.

Unforgiving, but hopefully fun as hell. Thats the gameplay I plan on having.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2013
  10. MickM

MickM

Interesting... I look forward to further information

11. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Here is a screen of the player residence. Heavy work in progress art wise, but should be done soon. The designs are final though, I don't have time for changing ideas now lol.

Anyhow let me explain a bit about whats going on here:

The player residence which is the area you see here is your home that you can buy. You have a bed, storage for clothes, items and vehicles. You don't move around here via direct control of player though. You will do what you need by just clicking the area or object like the bed or suit storage and get ready quick... to most likely be killed by a stray shell soon after lol. Ok but its not that hard, was over exaggerating.

$GameScreen06RoomThilakshaEkanayake.png

So yeah, my first game, hopefully it will be ready sooner than later. I want to start my own company and everything too(if it sells well). Got big super geeky plans now.

Comments/criticism more than welcome and thanks for the previous ones.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2013
  12. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

AI pic.

Jerk is aiming for my head!!

$GameScreen07FightThilakshaEkanayake.png

13. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Busy working on the dust effects. I think its a little too transparent... but easier to see. Hmmmmm.

$GameScreen08WooThilakshaEkanayake.png

Last edited: Dec 19, 2013
  14. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Moar work.

This time on rockets and secondary weapons.

$GameScreen10PMMMMMThilakshaEkanayake.png $GameScreen11PMMMMMThilakshaEkanayake.png

15. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hello? Say something guys, damn.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2014
  16. PixelNecktie

PixelNecktie

Lovin the look of the Player Residence. Is the camera stuck in place for that and 3rd person outside?

Do you have a blog for the development?

17. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks. Yes the camera is stuck, you can't manually control the player in Residence. The camera does move closer when changing clothes and looking at which car to pick or items. Also yes its 3rd person outside.

No blog, yet.

18. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Oh and the game is based on Mars. Its not a Mars "like" planet, like I mentioned before, instead it is actually Mars, the red planet.

Edit: ... Mars might be used in the final, but you won't see it in the demo or Alpha or Beta. All work on Mars has stopped and moved to Tora the planet you will see dev pictures of towards the demo release.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2014
  19. Deleted User

Deleted User

Screenshots look good, would love to see a gameplay video.

20. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yes I plan to, but there is not enough content in it yet to make a good one. SOOO much left. I keep telling myself to keep things simple but it ends up complicated lol.

Please do comment more and ask questions guys. Feedback is very useful.

21. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Armory/Shop.

You will be able to buy and sell stuff at this building here. If you have a vehicle, you need to drive in that big door, if not in a vehicle then the small one.

$GameScreen12SHOPPPThilakshaEkanayake.png

Also, you will not be able to change clothes/suits outside. Only in certain places like this shop and residence.

...Also these buildings are not baked and the pics are from the editor itself on medium settings. Just saying.

Last edited: Dec 25, 2013
  22. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Stationary Turrets.

You will be able to change the turrets into many different kinds for a price. The turrets you see on vehicles will be included as options for these stationary turrets.

These kinds of defences are mostly governed by the AI though. You'll only be able to change and use them if the said faction likes you enough.

$GameScreen13TURRRRThilakshaEkanayake.png

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  23. ObsoleteAccount

ObsoleteAccount

Interesting stuff. :)

It looks like you have some visual artifacts in the last couple of images though. I'll bet they're a result of having your 'Bias' value set too low in your shadow-casting lights. You might try dialing the bias up a bit and see if that sorts out.

24. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yeah I'm leaving the shadow bias alone for now. I will sort it out soon, it got bit messy last time I tried lol. Best to get more things in and get the best possible baking method first I think.

25. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

More info:

The game will have no linear story at all. As in you start off somewhere totally random and your main goal at first will be to survive and make cash money lol, by any means. The background story will be conveyed throughout the game via dialogue and notes.... and randomised missions.

Most of the game is about surviving and having fun, picking sides, making money, blowing ish up and buying new things to blow ish up.

It won't be like a serious survival game, more on the fun side, but hard. So there won't be things like hunger to worry about.

26. LockonS

LockonS

Looks really interesting. Looking forward to what this turns into.

27. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks, I'm going all out at it to finish.

28. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Some AI and me fighting each other.

$GameScreen14FIGHTINGLOVEThilakshaEkanayake.png

29. Deleted User

Deleted User

It is nice to finally see some enemies (or friends). I hope it would be possible to run them over with a vehicle.

I would suggest you to concentrate on a playable demo, as I am sure many people would like to try it, and you will get lots of feedback.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 31, 2013
  30. NuclearSyncGames

NuclearSyncGames

Looks nice, Could have real potential if you stick 2 it!

31. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks guys. Yeah my main aim now isn't a demo but a gameplay video.

Oh and that blue bar above the read health bar is shields. A 3rd Armour bar might be added too... and thus different damage types per weapon. The weapon you see in the AI pic is a basic pulse rifle. It does more damage to shield than health.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2013
  32. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Can anyone point me to some free shaders? I need to apply one to get it just right.

33. MasonGaming

MasonGaming

Nice, I love it!

34. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

I do like the idea, but I think that the terrain can look a lot better if it's not as smooth as you are doing. Of course every terrain has hills, but this type of terrain has more rougth ones, like theese :

$m2.jpg

At least , that is how I imagine it.

35. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Yeah I'm working on the terrain, I plan on it being much rougher but it won't be that extravagant. Also most of the pics were taken within bases so the ground is naturally flat.

It will get rough don't worry.

36. Thegusse

Thegusse

I think your screen-shoots would look way better if you added some anti-aliasing.

Besides that this game surely looks interesting! The graphics may not be top-quality, but will certainly get the job done if the gameplay is good.

37. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

My screenshots are on medium detail. That is intended, I am still working on the final style. So I don't want to show exactly what it will look like at final. I will still add some shaders and such.

... but I digress, yes the graphics are not top noch, I would never finish this thing if I try do that. There is technically no UV mapping. Except on wheels.

38. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Hover vehicles. They be good for avoiding rocks that can wreck non-hover vehicles.... be warned though as these hover cars can be unpredictable at times.

$GameScreen15HoverThilakshaEkanayake.png

So main vehicle types are complete coding wise(mostly complete).

These are: Tracked, Wheeled and Hover.

39. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Dynamic wreckage for you to loot, or be killed by something.

$GameScreen16EGGThilakshaEkanayake.png

40. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Types of weapons;

- Lazer
    - Plasma
    - Grenade
    - Conventional these aren't normal gunpowder type conventional though. Its more special, since its on Mars. Everything is more special there.
    - Rail

41. qmqz

qmqz

This is genuinely interesting.. I'd definitely play it once released.
    Keep up the good work!

42. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Thanks man.

43. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Some further details:

One of the main themes behind the story is that you are not really supposed to know whats going on at the start. You are instead supposed to figure it out as you play, completely at your own pace. You technically don't even have to care about it, it will only affect you in the sense of giving you information to aid your survival. There will be no linear story whatsoever, however there will be randomized jobs and your imagination.

The factions : Names are subject to change.
    Main 2 factions
    - Earth Force
    - Neo Genesis

Secondary factions
    -Marauders
    -Beast

Please do ask questions and give me as much feedback as you want. No matter how harsh.

44. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Progress pic.

$GameScreen17ZAWThilakshaEkanayake.png

My main focus is still the AI. I really need it working properly as the game is meant to be very random and dynamic. So the AI are fairly complicated.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2014
  45. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

$GameScreen18HOZZZ01ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Work on one off the first bases. These are like towns in more conventional rpgs.

46. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Just a shameless bump and also to tell you guys about the background story/lore, or should I say why I'm not going to tell you much about it.

The specific reason I want to keep 90% of the lore and story of the game undercover is because its part of the gameplay for you not to really know why or whats happening at the start. If I told you it would spoil it.

47. qmqz

qmqz

Did you quit? :p

48. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

49. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

HEy guys, I am back to work on my game. This time with a big difference, it is in space!!! Which was the original plan in the first place.

Graphics setting are on medium, and very far from ready. However like I have said previously will have a simplistic style.

I am not removing or getting rid of all the land vehicle code, its all there and I have a plan for it.

Also the player animations got messed up after I updated. Good god it went hay wire. Fixed the big problems at least.

SPACE01ThilakshaEkanayake.png

50. DeadKenny

DeadKenny

Ok so I want to just outline what this game will be.

Fundamentally what I want to achieve is a 3rd person open world space MMO with landing on planets. I have never really seen a game that does it well enough, so I decided to do one myself.

So far all 4 types of ground movement is done and the space movement for the ships is about 80%. Basics are done.
    Most map/scene related things will be procedural, starting from area one and all other playable areas including landing on planets... So I don't have to go spend time placing everything and making maps. Graphics will look somewhat more detailed than the screen you see here, but simple:

Space flight is rather too realistic at the moment, very difficult to control... but fun in some ways. I will make a bit less harsh than now I think. Too frustrating for the player as is.

Space02ThilakshaEkanayake.png

Last edited: Sep 16, 2014