Search Unity

[RELEASED] MVR Tower Defense Starter Kit

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by puppeteer, Sep 13, 2013.

1. puppeteer

puppeteer

Martians VS Robots is released, check it out here!

Check out the new Xmas theme, which utilizes the Unity 4.3 sprite based graphics as well as the built-in animation system, allowing for nicer animations, better performance, and a simpler creation process.

Martians VS Robots is a starter kit and example project for Horizontal Tower Defense games. The main objective of the game is to build defensive units on a grid, while enemy units try to breach through your defenses.

This project is a collaboration between Puppeteer Jordan Swapp

Available in JS and C#

How to Play?

At the start of each level you may choose several units to be used in battle, along with the essential Extractor unit which produces crystals. Collect crystals to build defensive units, and prevent the enemy from reaching your colony.

To build a unit, click on it and then click on an available tile to place it. You can also sell units by clicking on the sell button and then clicking on a unit. Hold H to show the health of all units and enemies.

Showcase and tutorial videos:

The following videos showcase gameplay, as well as process guides on how to create unique units and enemies. More videos will be added regularly.

MVR starter kit gameplay
    MVR – Halloween gameplay
    MVR – Xmas gameplay
    MVR – Making a new level
    MVR – making a new enemy
    MVR – making a new unit

Features:

MVR Horizontal Tower Defense provides a working example for developers interested in making games similar to some of the top titles in the market, while adding features to improve functionality and allow you to customize your creation:

• Entire example project included, complemented by documentation, a component details sheet and video tutorials.
    • Available in both C# and JavaScript, in the same package.
    • Cute 2D quad based graphics, all packed into a texture to reduce drawcalls. A tutorial explains how to add your own graphics using Flash, 3DS Max, and Unity.
    • New Xmas theme utilizes the built in Unity 4.3 sprite based graphics, for better performance, nicer animations, and a much easier work process.
    • Using Build, Weapon, Enemy and Shot components (or a combination of those) you can create unique and diverse behaviors. All units and enemies in the game are made with those components, Check out video tutorials to see how we create a unit that shoots homing missiles, and an enemy with a turret for a head!
    • BuildController and UnitSelection components allow you to setup a build list of units, and let the player choose which units to take into battle.
    • EnemyDispencer component allows you to setup waves of enemies to attack you, as well as a level-end boss.
    • The LevelSelection component lets you display your levels in a grid, along with lock/unlock status recorded in PlayerPrefs.
    • Components such as Sticky (latches unto objects for damage), Gib (make parts fly off as a unit loses health), and ChangeAttribute( change the enemy behavior as it loses health) enhance gameplay with interesting behaviors.
    • End of level 1-6 star rating based on your performance. Star rating is recorded in the PlayerPrefs.

Current version 1.09

Update history:
    (1.09) 25.01.2013
    - Added a new money system in which you can assign more than one type of money for the player. Accordingly, you can set multiple costs for each unit individually.
    - You can set a list of possible items that are dropped from an enemy when it dies. Each item has a separate drop chance.

(1.06) 10.12.2013
    - Added Xmas theme with all new units, enemies, and effects. This theme utilizes the Unity 4.3 sprite based graphics as well as the built-in animation system, allowing for nicer animations, better performance, and a simpler creation process.
    - You can now set the animations for Idle/Walk/Attack/Die from the inspector. If no animation is set in the inspector, it defaults to the original "Idle"/"Walk"/"Attack"/"Die" animation labels.

- You can set the timing of attacks for weapons and enemies. This allows for better synchronized attack animations. ( ex: in the elf animation the elf first aims and then throws the snowball. The snowball is actually created when the animation reaches the correct time instead of being thrown immediately).

- Push back is corrected. It now pushes the enemy in the direction it was shot from. More units in the new theme use pushback to good effect ( ex: the bellower ).

- Special animation replaces walk animation after attribute change ( example: When the gremlin with the shield starts running, its default walk animation becomes the running animation )

(1.0) 28.10.2013
    - The entire project has been ported to C# thanks to Jordan Swapp.
    - Added an in-game pause menu, and changed the stress scene.
    - Added Halloween theme assets with example scene, including new units, enemies, and effects.

(0.93) 23.9.2013
    - Added an end of level star rating, which is also registered in PlayerPrefs and displayed in the level selection screen.
    - Fixed a case in which cooldowns are counted twice.
    - Made the startMenu script more generic, allowing users to add any number of menu items which can run any function on any object by name.

Future updates (in no particular order):

This package is a work in progress, and will receive enhancements as they are made ready. The following list of planned updates is not definitive and may change as needed.

• iOS/Android compatibility tests for as many devices I can get my hands on, along with demo videos.
    • Support for NGUI, EZGUI, or other GUI packages based on user interest, with in-package examples.
    • Support for object pool managers such as PoolManager 2.0, with in-package examples.
    • More enemy abilities, such as bouncing over a unit, switching lanes, turning around, etc
    • More unit types, such as a mortar with an arcing projectile, or units that affect other units.
    • In-battle unit upgrades; click on a unit to show available upgrades, their cost and effect, and then apply the upgrade.
    • Enhanced EnemyDispenser component, with enemy rush points, and warnings for rush and boss approach. You’ll also be able to set enemy distribution to be even throughout the level, or sequential with timing for each sequence.
    • Different tile types that can affect gameplay for both you and the enemy, such as water, lava, rocks, etc.
    • Unifying Building/Enemy components into a more generic Unit component.
    • Support for 3D battleground, and an example project with 3D models.
    • Camera with orbit/pan/zoom features for the 3D battleground.
    • Any requests welcome.

Credits

The sounds are courtesy of the free sound project.

Credits go to these authors for their great sound samples: sarson, HerbertBoland, WillHiccups, Connum, luffy, juskiddink, ggctuk, jobro, isaac200000, tallers, ecfike, sergenious, scuola-pereto, pushtobreak, themfish, qubodup, lagomen, craiggroshek, scuola-pereto, RHumphries, bennychico11, a various others

Music track is an edited clip from Five Armies by Incompetech
    Halloween/Xmas music is a clip from Moonlight Hall by Incompetech

Please rate my file, I’d appreciate it

Last edited: Feb 2, 2014
  2. Landern

Landern

Looks fantastic, keep it up!

Going to have to pick this up. :)

3. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks man, glad you liked it!

I've just put up the webplayer, play it here.

4. dukieee

dukieee

"Coded with JavaScript"

That made me a little sad. However, this looks really awesome and just wanted to shout out Good Job! on this
    Good luck with sales and with future projects! :)

5. puppeteer

puppeteer

I wanted to put it up there from the start so no one gets confused. That said, the project is a work in progress, and updates will be coming regularly including a possible C# port :D

6. Sajid_farooq

Sajid_farooq

Pics please, for those without youtube.

7. alexsan75

alexsan75

Really cool stuff! I like Tower Defense games.. definitely going to try this Kit )

8. puppeteer

puppeteer

9. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 0.92 submitted to the store:
    - Added end of level star rating based on how many LLOD ( Last Line of Defense ) objects are left. In the component you can set the number of stars in the rating ( out of 6, out of 3 ) and it will automatically calculate your performance based on the number of LLODs left.
    - Star ratings are stored in PlayerPrefs and displayed on the level menu for each level.
    - Fixed a case in which cooldown timers for buildings may count twice as fast.

Here's the updated webplayer

Last edited: Sep 17, 2013
  10. TheRealFuzz

TheRealFuzz

Looks really good!

11. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks TheRealFuzz, glad you liked it.

Update 0.93 is now live:
    Made the startMenu script more generic, allowing users to add any number of menu items which can run any function on any object by name.

Next I'm focusing on testing the package in mobile environments and checking mobile specific controls (it should work out of the box, as it's a simple LMB click) but I may also want to add in drag&drop functionality for placing units on tiles.

12. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

In your level making tutorial at the end when you play the level i saw on the lower row that where you placed a wall the enemys walk into them self and after that walk together along wich is looking ugly.

Maybe you can make it so that at least when they walk again when the wall is away they start walking a while after each other.

Also i saw in the video that the borders of the menues are looking ugly after you changed the background.
    Can i change the borders (maybe not only the borders but i now have not the time to look the video again) for each level and if so how?

13. V0odo0

V0odo0

Remains only to add a tech-zen garden :D Are you planning to make your own game with it?

14. puppeteer

puppeteer

That's a good idea. I could make a delay value that allows units to walk one after the other. Or I can make them walk beside each other, which is good in a 3D battlefield also.

This is related to the GUIskin which is Unity's default way to customize a user-interface. I'm planning on implementing a better system called NGUI which has much better performance and flexibility. It's in the updates list.

No, not now at least. I do hope one day to use this as a basis for a game I thought of making ( something like PvZ but with medieval fantasy Orcs and Elves and things like that ).

15. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

Just want to say that it run on my ipad3 :)

(I had some trouble to build and run it but i think thats because of unity, xcode 5 and ios 7 on the pad)

16. puppeteer

puppeteer

That's awesome!

Can you tell me how performance was? I'm working on improving performance with object pooling and better GUI implementation. Does the game as is perform well?

17. RandAlThor

RandAlThor

The stress test is between 9 and 5 at the first 500 enemys and the other level it run about 30 fps sometimes with more enemys a little lower.

After 600 enemys i stopped the stress test because then they just killed 4 towers.
    Maybe you should make another stress test with less towers so much more enemys can be seen on the screen so we will know how they performe with the animations on them.

I will test later with not being capped to 30 fps also i know it kills the battery.

Edit:
    After the first 500 enemys the ipad go to sleep mode and when i wake it up the sound was lost.

Edit 2:
    First Level runs with 60 fps.
    Need urgend a pouse and back to main menu button so for test i do not have to wait all the levels just to look some short things on the device.

Ups, i just won the first level with only one money maker.

Build my own Stress Test Scene wich works on the Mac and also starts on the device but there only played the music but nothing else happened and now i will make my own pause and back to main manu button ;)

With 10 to 15 enemys on my own stress test (just 4 rows of the standard stresstest towers) the fps will go down from 60 to 30.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  18. puppeteer

puppeteer

Thanks for running the tests, RandAlThor.

I'll make a stress test that has all types of units on 2/3 of the map, and keep the rest clear for incoming enemies.

Not sure what would cause that, I'll test it out.

I'll add a menu/pause button asap.

Since enemies tend to fall apart as they lose health and they spawn on a regular basis, they tend to call many more Instantiate/Destroy functions for destroyed parts and explosion effects. My plan is to implement object pooling to address this issue on mobiles. Replacing the default GUI with NGUI or a similar system should also improve performance overall. I think default GUI has about 50(!) drawcalls in a level right now.

The first level is trivial on purpose ( you can basically win it with nothing on screen ) to allow players to get familiar with the gameplay.

Thanks again for testing out the game, I'll keep working on the project to make it as optimized as possible.

19. puppeteer

puppeteer

Just a quick update:

Jordan Swapp is doing a great job porting the entire project into C#, so you can soon expect to have both JS and C# in the same MvR package.

On my part I've added a simple in-game pause with a back-to-menu button, and I've updated the stress test scene to be more varied and allow enemy animations to show on-screen for longer. I'm also testing out a pool manager system to be implemented into the project.

Finally, I'm working on a Halloween theme for MvR to be included in the same pakcage!

Hopefully I can get these done by Monday :D

Majd

20. puppeteer

puppeteer

Check out this quick video showing the in-game menu and the new stress test scene:

You can set any number of items in the menu, and define which function they run in which object. You can also pass an extra String value to go with the function call. In the example above I made 2 menu items, one which load the start level, and the other which resumes the game.

21. TangWeiChun

TangWeiChun

Good job , puppeteer ;)

22. puppeteer

puppeteer

We have some major updates:

1) The entire project was ported to C# thanks to Jordan Swapp. You now get both JS and C# in the same package :D
    2) The in-game menu and the stress test I mentioned earlier
    3) A Halloween theme with assets overhaul for land/units/enemies/sounds/etc:

PLAY THE HALLOWEEN WEPLAYER HERE

I'll put the package in the assets store update list ASAP, but it will probably take around a week to be reviewed by unity.

So if you want to get the Halloween theme , send me a private message with the purchase number and I'll send you the Halloween assets.

23. spartan

spartan

Does it support NGUI 3.x?

24. puppeteer

puppeteer

NGUI support is in the update list, but it all depends on how quickly the new Unity GUI comes out, which could potentially eclipse other systems.

25. puppeteer

puppeteer

A new update in time for the holidays:

1) Added a new Xmas theme with assets overhaul for land/units/enemies/sounds/etc. The new theme uses the sprite system from Unity 4.3, as well as the built-in animation system, which results in better looking animations and an easier production process. You can basically create the graphics animations with from inside Unity without needing 3DS Max or similar software.

2) Added some new unit behavior thanks to the built-in animation system. The bouncer enemy type which can jump over your shots, and the catapult which falls down to the floor are all made possible using the built-in animation.

3) You can now set the animations for Idle/Walk/Attack/Die from the inspector (for example you can drag elfIdle.anim to the inspector to be this unit's idle animation). If no animation is set in the inspector, it defaults to the original "Idle"/"Walk"/"Attack"/"Die" from before.

4) You can set the timing of attacks for weapons and enemies. This allows for better synchronized attack animations. ( example: in the elf animation the elf first aims and then throws the snowball. The snowball is actually thrown when the animation reaches the correct time instead of being thrown immediately ).

5) Push back is corrected. It now pushes the enemy in the direction it was shot from. More units in the new theme use push back to good effect ( ex: the bellower ).

6) Special animation replaces walk animation after attribute change ( example: When the gremlin with the shield starts running, its default walk animation becomes the running animation )

I'll put the package in the assets store update list ASAP, but it will probably take around a week to be reviewed by unity.

26. puppeteer

puppeteer

Here's a little stress test I made with the new sprite graphics. It turned out pretty well IMO.

It gets crazy after 2:00 :D

27. puppeteer

puppeteer

28. mark295

mark295

hi puppeteer .does this support ios or android? if not when will this package support those platform? thanks.

29. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hello,

I tested the game on LG L9 Android and it worked pretty well. Another buyer RandAlThor tested it on iOS:

You can read more of his impressions on page 1 of this thread.

30. puppeteer

puppeteer

A new update has been submitted to the store ( should be live within a week or so ):

1) Added a new money system in which you can assign more than one type of money for the player. Accordingly, you can set multiple costs for each unit individually.

2) You can set a list of possible items that are dropped from an enemy when it dies. Each item has a separate drop chance.

Check out the video below to see the changes:

31. puppeteer

puppeteer

I uploaded the documentation for MVR Tower Defense to my website. You can read it all here:

http://puppeteerinteractive.com/?page_id=197

If you have any questions/suggestions regarding your project customization ask me here on the forum, and I'll update the documentation accordingly.

Thanks,

Majd

32. yohanesps

yohanesps

i bought this package, but how to make 2 tiles unit or more? like 1x2 or 2x2 or 5x3?

Attached Files:

33. vandersonarruda

vandersonarruda

I'm doing the build to run on iOS and Android, however I can not click the money to collect. I need to make some adjustment to run on mobile?

Tks

34. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hi,

The game should work out of the box for all platforms, no need to change anything for a specific platform.

Make sure you have the latest version downloaded, and the latest possible unity version would be good too( not necessary though ).

Try it out and tell me how it works out for you.

Majd

35. vandersonarruda

vandersonarruda

Hi Majd,

Really worked, that was the first time lost the TAG Money in GameObject, an error of Unity. Thanks for the answer

36. puppeteer

puppeteer

It's been a while since I posted in this thread, so here are the latest updates to MvR Tower Defense:

(1.21) 12.05.2015
    - Updated project to Unity 4.6.5 and Unity 5. Current available packages are Unity 4.3.0 ( uses old GUI only ), in addition to Unity 4.6.5 and Unity 5 which use the new Canvas UI.

(1.2) 19.03.2015
    - You can now create buildings larger than 1x1 tiles, such as 2x2, 2x1, 1x4, etc (ex: You can make a building similar to the Cob Cannon from Plant vs Zombies which sits on 2x1 tiles )
    - Improved support for gamepads; you can select a unity from the menu and then place it on the ground more easily. Custom pointer is no longer needed.
    - Added an option to set the level name prefix. Level status is now loaded correctly.

(1.15) 22.02.2015
    - Added support for Unity 4.6 UI, while maintaining the ability to use the old GUI as well.
    - As a result, the game now has better support for different mobile devices and screens.
    - The game also supports gamepad controls, with on-screen cursor for gamepads.

And here's the latest video showing the new Unity UI in action:

37. Nothnless

Nothnless

Crystal keeps loosing money tag

38. Nothnless

Nothnless

There is no enemies layer like in your create a new enemy tutorial.

39. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hi Nothnless,

Make sure you have the latest versions of Unity 4 or Unity 5, and import the package into an empty project. Make sure you also import the ProjectSettings.

Here's how it looks in the Layers after importing.

Try it out and tell me if it worked for you!

Puppeteer

40. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.23 (02.10.2015):
    - support for sprite sheet animation using mecanim, along with example scene. - Minor fixes and changes.

Here's a video showing how I clone one of the buildings and make a spritesheet based unity out of it:

Things to note:
    1. I cloned the controller and assigned it to the prefab.
    2. Also cloned the animations I want to use ( attack, die, idle ), and assigned them in the Animator window
    3. I set the Money animation to none because this unit will not use it. Money making units would naturally have a Money animation too.
    4. At some point I rescaled the Base of the prefab and re-positioned it so it fits within the tile.
    5. Near the end when I run the game after assigning the new unit in the unit selection list, It explodes when it dies instead of showing the death animation. So I set the Death Effect to None and then the Die animation played instead of the effect.

That's about it.

The soldier character from the video is from here:
    http://graphicriver.net/item/game-character-sprites-soldier/10166202?s_phrase=&s_rank=152

41. puppeteer

puppeteer

Update 1.25 (11.12.2015)
    - Updated project to contain packages for Unity 4.6.9, Unity 5.1.4, Unity 5.2.3, and Unity 5.3.0.
    - Minor fixes and changes.

42. bgakiya

bgakiya

Hello, the CS icebomb prefab doesnt freeze the enemies, the JS icebomb works fine. I tryied to set up the CS prefab as the JS prefab but still doesnt work. Do you have an idea on how to fix this? Cheers, and happy new year!

43. puppeteer

puppeteer

Hi, I solved that problem. It turns out the delay wasn't applied correctly in the CS version. I sent you a private message with a quick fix. Of course the package will be updated in a few days.

And happy new year to you too!

44. bgakiya

bgakiya

It worked like a charm, thanx great work!

45. puppeteer

puppeteer

Glad it worked, I'll try to push the update as fast as possible.

46. bgakiya

bgakiya

Hello man, hope everything is ok with you :). I´m working on a feature, hope you can help me or point me in the right direction, I`m trying to make a drag and drop action for placing the units on the field, kinda what Plant vs Zombies do, i find out that people find it easier to play. Also would like to make vertical and horizontal adyacent squares to light up, i´m attaching an image. I´m guessing switching onmouserelease instead of on mouseclick for some button actions, but dont know where to start, i´m sorry i´m a designer so i dont know a lot of coding. thanx in advance Cheers! b

Attached Files:

puppeteer likes this.
  47. puppeteer

puppeteer

There are two parts to this question, and they'll need some code+editor work to get them done. Luckily for you, I just managed to make a working example for both requests, so contact me with your invoice number to get the scene ready with the highlight grid and the drag+drop buildings.

Now to what I did; first for the highlight I basically made two objects, HighlightVertical and HighlightHorizontal which are placed in the game area and cover it. Then you can assign these objects in the gamecontroller, which will change their position to highlight where you place an object. This is how it looks:

Regarding the Drag+Drop feature, I needed to change the code in the gamecontroller script from Input.GetButtonDown() to Input.GetButtonUp(), but I also had to change the way the build buttons in the scene work, instead of a Click() event I made them accept a PointerDown event. So now you get to drag and drop the buildings.

This will cause trouble in other areas of course, because you won't be able to just click and click again. It becomes a matter of choosing which design fits your game better.

bgakiya likes this.
  48. puppeteer

puppeteer

I'm working on the next update for MvR, which will include some of the features requested by users. So you can expect to have a highlighted grid for unit placement, and the option to drag+drop units on the field. There are also some compatibility updates for unity 5.4, and improved UnityAds support.

Stay tuned!

49. puppeteer

puppeteer

50. Almakos

Almakos

Hey @puppeteer,

I am really eager to get this decent asset, but you mentioned UnityAds support. Can you please say at what stage UnityAds support is at the moment? also is there any way to have in-app purchases in game?
    Thank you, looking forward to your reply!