Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

BeGone - Multi-Player Shooter Preview

Discussion in 'Made With Unity' started by ProtonOne, Mar 28, 2009.

1. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

BeGone - Multi-player FPS Preview

BeGone has been relased! Check out the release thread here:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/60097-BeGone-Released!-Multi-player-Shooter

For the latest info, check out:
    http://www.facebook.com/NPlayCom
    http://www.twitter.com/NPlayCom

--------------------------

Hey guys, these are some early shots from a multi-player FPS I am working on.

Features
    - 1 vs 1 duel mode
    - 1 weapon with ability to zoom
    - Tactical shooter feel
    - Web player based

Interested to see what you think of the screenshots :)

Last edited: Oct 19, 2011
  2. Sakar

Sakar

:eek: That looks excellent! Great job on the art especially.

3. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Some of the models are from http://dexsoft-games.com/ . They do great work.

The gun is custom (arms holding the gun are still being worked on). The character will also be custom (at the rigging stage right now).

4. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Looks great – but how many draw calls, triangles and vertices is it?
    I can’t belive this running smoothly on my mac book pro – at least not using real time shadows...

5. brianjkd

brianjkd

This looks amazing. Hows the framerate though on an average computer?

6. Dakta

Dakta

That looks awesome!

The question is, will it look that good on my computer? (That's the question the average gamer will be asking, anyways.) 'Cause all those effects are gonna suck up framerate like there's no tomorrow.

7. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

My dev computer:
    MacBook Pro
    OS X Leopard
    2.4 GHz Core 2 Duo
    3GB Ram
    256MB GeForce 8600M GT

I get between 50-60 fps depending on where I am in the map. Although since it is in a webplayer, the max is locked to 50 anyway. I already have a set of graphic settings the user can toggle. I typically keep reflective water turned off and shadows at high resolution but no cascades ('High Quality Shadows' just means 4 cascades).

The first screenshot has the most visible, thus the lowest framerate I can get in my standard configuraiton:

The computer I use to test the multiplayer:
    Windows XP SP2
    AMD Athlon XP 2000+ (1.66 GHz)
    768MB RAM
    GeForce 4 Ti4200

This video card disables most of the effects (bump mapping, shadows). Without anti-aliasing, I get an average of 10-15 fps. I think with some additional optimizations I could get it upto 25 fps.

I am not really sure what the average computer is though. I think adding more configurable options like for "Terrain.detailObjectDistance" would reduce the draw calls a lot and get it running faster on lower end hardware.

Plus there is still more optimization to be done. The webplayer is currently 14.2MB and I need to get it down to 6. So I will likely reuse a lot of textures instead of using so many unique ones. (Unless Unity gives us client side caching in the next release :p)

8. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

Wow – that sounds very promising:
    Just about 500 draw calls and 280.000 triangles even with real time shadows enabled and such a vast amount of grass.
    What are yout terrain settings? Heightmap Resolution and Detail Resolution?

9. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

The terrain tutorial on the wiki by .... wait a minute... you?

Heh, yeah it is you. Well that tutorial was very helpful, and your images in this thread are beautiful:
    http://forum.unity3d.com/viewtopic.php?p=111513

The key to keeping draw calls down is a low detail resolution. I don't think I could lower it much more. I am starting to get co-planar grass planes.

I am using baked lighting on the terrain, dynamic doesn't add much since the grass is so thick anyway.

I am lucky enough to only require a small terrain since the game is a 1 vs 1 duel format.

10. larsbertram1

larsbertram1

thanks for the flowers – but i have to say: you did a very good job.
    it looks awesome.
    i am really looking forward to have a look at your webplayer.

all the best, lars

11. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Yes! Another person who understands the value of realtime shadows and proper lighting! Great job on the graphics, this should be in the gallery!

I'll tell you what the average computer ISN'T. It ISN'T that dinosaur AMD that you have! :D

12. maxfax2009

maxfax2009

WOW - great job this is really cool :)

13. Thomas-Pasieka

Thomas-Pasieka

Graphically, it's the best looking FPS made so far with Unity in my opinion.

I see a bit of a problem with the high drawcall number though. Have you done any optimizing yet? What about textures consumption... how much is that eating away right now?

Thomas

PS: Just saw the texture info. You're using over 100 different textures?

14. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Thanks for the great feedback guys, I guess I am on the right track :wink:

Almost every surface is bump-mapped (if it needs it or not right now). So that adds a lot of extra textures. My strategy is to make it looks as good as I can, then start scaling back where quality will not be affected.

For example, there are probably 5 different 'concrete' materials that currently have slightly different textures bumpmaps. I could reuse just one of them and add variety by manipulating the color tint on the materials.

Since I need to get it from 14.2MB to 6MB, I will likely need to use this technique in a lot of places.

I was hoping to bake some occlusion onto the structures, but it doesn't look like that will be an option considering the file size. The gun does have occlusion though. And a fresnel reflection with a toggle for realtime reflection (but that makes it run way too slow :p)

15. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

The atmosphere you have is almost perfect. It's just that the darker parts of the map need to be a bit brighter (turn up the ambient light a tad) to simulate more accurate indirect lighting.

Yep, some of the best graphics made in Unity are right here. Everyone should take a note on this (including me) in that you don't need to sacrifice tremendous amounts of graphics quality to have your game run. You just need to plan and optimize properly. :D

Great job!

16. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I agree that this is one of the trickiest parts of the illusion. I tried using the contrast stretch image effect to give a fake HDR look, but I lose AA when I do that, so it is off by default.

I'm a fan of the Half Life mod Natural Selection, it's a game that takes place in dark alien spaceships, but although it feels dark, it is rarely black.

I'm keeping some of their mapping guidelines in mind, specifically:
    http://www.unknownworlds.com/ns/static/Mapping_Guidelines.html#Use_High_Contrast_Lighting

17. Dakta

Dakta

When can we actually beta test this thing?

18. DaveyJJ

DaveyJJ

Lovely, lovely work.

19. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

Yeah, UT needs to implement something that allows one to use post effects and AA together (not to mention be able to change AA without restarting the engine).

Are you using just the one directional light for your scene, or do you have a back light? A back light would be the best for simulating indirect lighting. But it would probably kill your framerate due to the draw calls. But maybe not, try it out and see.

20. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Probably not for a few months, I do like the philosophy of 'launch early and iterate' though.

I did try putting a back light with a slight blue hue to it (vertex only), but it didn't end up looking very good for some reason. (I am way more of a programmer than an artist :p )

The other problem is that dynamic light does not affect the grass. So the only way to adjust that is through baking.

21. theinfomercial

theinfomercial

I recommend putting up your level with the fps script, just so we can look around the level and to pacify us. :D

22. minevr

minevr

Invincible! Waiting around!! :eek:

23. Alec

Alec

I have to say - great job, Our game finally got hands and you have no idea how cool it is to see your own creation at work. This is probably the best fps to date since Avert Fate- but of course your going to have some mild competition from us :p

24. loadexfa

loadexfa

That looks spectacular! I want to play already.

Josh

25. junkyardog

junkyardog

I too must comment on the quality, superb.

26. Dexter

Dexter

Amazing !
    Rare are the levels made where we can se colors and lightening mixing up very well like in yours.

27. jeffreyianwilson

jeffreyianwilson

Are those realtime self shadows on the trees????

28. artzfx

artzfx

Fantastic work, well done!

29. abahazy

abahazy

Really excellent work. You've eliminated any doubts I might have had about the graphics side. Have you got the network code up and running for a 1v1 match, yet? I'm really anxious to see an online FPS. What are your thoughts on that? Again, great work.

-Mike

30. Alec

Alec

One of the biggest flaws with the terrain engine :(

31. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

The trees use Unity's standard built in ambient occlusion to give a nice sense of depth (works on the vertex color level).

I do have some of the network code in, and have tested with 2 players, but they can't hurt eachother yet.

I find it easier to develop with a bot instead of multiplayer though.

Spending the last few days on blood splatter :twisted:

The drips actually animate down.

I hear what you are saying Alec, but sometimes limitations in Unity actually work out nicely. I was originally going to do the blood with GUI.DrawTexture, but it didn't look good alpha blended, and I couldn't see any way to use a custom shader to at least do a multiply blend. So I used a workaround by placing the blood on a plane in front of the camera. This resulted in the idea to take advantage of the directional light, so I thew in a bumped specular pass :)

32. Alec

Alec

So that blood is being projected on to an invisible plane?

33. xandeck

xandeck

Very nice game, I'm making a FPS Online too :eek:

Keep up the good work :wink:

34. Dexter

Dexter

For the grass it's good point to have it baked.

When you run or fight ennemies ,you won't put much attention if some shadows are moving on grass (even more on FPS) !
    And real shadow ask lot more GPU power, even with a good GEForce GTX on Oblivion for example,
    i desactivate real time shadows on grass to increase shaders or effects on the scene instead and keep more frame rate for better gameplay.

For blood splats here is my opinion :
    Perhaps you could let user customize in menus the blood splats : yours or more discret ones like in COD4 for example.
    depending on graphic cards power, it would be more clever to spend graphics GPU on scene than on effects , specially for lower graphics cards or people running in 1280*10254 like me :)

35. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Not really projected. It is just an image on a standard Unity plane that is placed at a random position right in front of the camera. Then the plane transform is made to be a child of the camera so it always stays in the same spot. Eventually it fades away.

In my case it sure is. But it doesn't work if you want to do a day-night cycle. So I dropped the possibility of that feature early on.

The blood splats are pretty obnoxious right now. I find that when I develop an effect I want people to really notice it so I go overboard. Subtlety is not one of my strengths :p

36. Dexter

Dexter

Well i really prefer day in FPS games :)
    In the game Follout 3 i play, when the night comes, i sleep until morning to really see beautifull levels and colors caus everything dark i don't like.

but they are sepcial cases in the dark that are great like Bioshock fro example.

37. lues de fabulam

lues de fabulam

Hi. I signed up just to be able to say this that screenshots look fantastic for an indie. Maybe I'm overreacting in ignorance, for abundant use of good art might make most games look good, but anyway, I like the cosmetics. I hope all your work comes to fruition as you expect it to.

Also, I get a Crysis meets STALKER vibe from the screenshots.

38. chaiwa

chaiwa

the screenshots are great!! would help me with a tutorial on how to set the camera so that constantly follows through the racing track. iam just starting with unity3d and i realy need such a tutorial.

my email: chailink@yahoo.co.uk

39. bloobat

bloobat

Well look at the date of the last post. :wink:
    Secondly, try posting your problem in the Unity support section. :p

40. Dakta

Dakta

Speak of the devil, ka bump'd!

Where have you gone with this? Is it still running strong? If so, you should probably release something for beta testing (heck, even a pre alpha would be nice, for everyone including you) to make sure people like it, and fix what doesn't work.

There's great potential with this! JUst need more in the way of actual playable demo to get REAL critique. :D

41. lues de fabulam

lues de fabulam

Hoping to find more information they might have posted elsewhere, I've googled and found that they had a web player demo on their homepage a while ago:

http://www.nplay.com/BeGone/

It has since been removed and replaced with the screenshots. The demo seemed to have a night-level but I couldn't connect back then. If I remember correct, there was an error message about master server.

42. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

I've been super busy with work lately, so I haven't made much progress.

Hopefully I will be able to ramp back up soon and get a playable demo out there. :)

43. Mattew_XL

Mattew_XL

Yes... i've tryed to login the game, but in gives me "Error. Could not cottect to master serve: Connection Failed"
    What it means?

44. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Alright, back up to full steam ahead. Got some new screenshots and a bunch of new features. 8)

New artwork for the terrain. New 3rd person perspective.

Replaced networking with the Photon library

Integrated the Locomotion system

And just for fun, here are some experiments with depth of field that may have no place in a game like this, but look pretty cool (click to enlarge):

45. wizardious

wizardious

Sweet! I can imagine the work that's gone into this, phew. Looks great, I await the arrival of beta testing. Keep it up. 8)

46. Theformand

Theformand

Your game looks so amazing, I cant wait to see a public beta test :)

Regarding the Depth of Field; you should restrict the use of it. To really mimic the depth of field effect of our eyes, the DoF should only be narrow when the player focuses on something (aiming down your sights or something like it), because if you think of it, your eyes never really blur the horizon as much as youve done in the screenies. It sort of makes it look more like a Fog of War type deal :)

but im curious as to how you implemented DoF. Does unity have a mechanic to do it for you, or was it scripted?

47. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

Unity provided a DoF project that works with the Pro version here:
    http://unity3d.com/support/resources/example-projects/shader-replacement

It is quite a hit to the framerate though, and seems better suited to cinematic cutscenes.

48. CrazyEoin

CrazyEoin

Looks amazing! Can't wait till it's available for hands on play!

49. ProtonOne

ProtonOne

50. Blacklight

Blacklight

Nice! Is this only going to be a 1v1 game or are you going to add larger teams?