Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Roguelike 3d prototype

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chelnok, Sep 12, 2013.

1. chelnok

chelnok

Okay, we are prototyping roguelike 3d possibilities, and if it looks like doable, we will make actual game. To keep motivation high, there is already nice story with all kind of weird ideas, and also some graphics and fps controller (Realistic FPS Prefab). Story has actually become so interesting, its probably gonna be done with or without roguelike gameplay, but i really hope its gonne be at least some sort of roguething.

Roguelike engine is still very, very alpha state what comes to coding ..mostly just simple random lengths hallways connected to room prefabs without any rules. But there is lots of discussion of different kind of methods, and some early plans how things probably should be done.

Most interesting thing at the moment is how to generate the world so its random, but doesnt feel like one :) We are thinking having, of course some prefabs like hallway, wall parts, doorways etc ..but also some templates like rooms with placeholders for pillars and elevations, and randomly choose if there is for example pillar or not and if one is chosen, some sort of ruleset what kind of props there should be ..this is just to make different kind of rooms randomly, and still having actual human made level designing. I'm not sure yet what kind of set of rules there should be, but that is probably something what have to be manually tested with gameplay, so i think its good idea to have playable alpha prototype from very beginning.

Hallway prefab:
    $hallway_1part.jpg

Hallway 20 x hallwayprefab
    $hallway_20part.jpg

Thats easy part :)

next thing i'm gonna try is simply make few more rooms at random places and connect them with hallways more interesting way. At the moment its nothing but:

$roomsAndHallways.jpg

Obviously there is going to be lot of small prefabs, not just level parts, but also all kind of props like boxes, computers ..whatever, so i'm also excited to see how much difference InstantOC can do with this kind of situation.

Still couple other projects (like Rocket Wreck) must be finished until this one can get more time, but every now and then this project is opened in unity.

Any thoughts, and most importantly, doubts are very welcome to avoid early mistakes those might impact later. Newer done this kind of thing before :)

Last edited: Sep 12, 2013
  2. miaxari

miaxari

Get some lighting in there and that corridor will look lovely.
    What are you going to do about items and random item drops? Will that kind of thing be available?

3. chelnok

chelnok

Indeed, there is no any lighting yet. That is something we need to think carefully, because we cant use baked lights as the levels are generated runtime. Some of room templates might actually be possible to do with combination of baked and dynamic lights. ..shadows, dark corners, hard to see movements in darkness.. just love those things :) I got to ask my friend, if he got some time to make a demo level with lights so i can post some screenshots. At the moment it all got to be done in editor (rand.generator is still too early state)

Random item drops, sure thing, that is going to be major part side by side with random generated world and of course ..again, random set of enemies with different kind of behaviors. That is the goal anyway :)

4. chelnok

chelnok

Couldnt wait ..just had to try it :)

$roomAndHallwaysWithLights.jpg

5. SevenHams

SevenHams

Looks good. It looks like you're doing a real time FPS. Are you going turn-based or planning on real-time? Even so, procedural generation of levels in an FPS would be a thing to see.

6. chelnok

chelnok

Real-time ..i think grid based FPS movement have had its glory days :) Perhaps it could be done with action points ..or like few seconds free to move turns ..but i dunno? Messing with timescale kind of works, and i've done some tests by dropping timescale to zero, when there is no any input from keyboard or mouse. Its kind of interesting, and gives player some time to think, but system like that should go deeper, and take into account for example if there is some animation like explosions running, and wait for those to finish ..otherwise it feels like just pressing pause.

Perhaps turnbased grid movement or experimental timescale system could be added as an option for hardcore players :)

7. chelnok

chelnok

Conclusion: it can be done.

It took awhile, but finally we found our way to do it. At some point, after these early tests, we decided to put this project on hold. We started another project, procedural 2.5D platformer. And then again - after awhile - we were ready to take that final 0.5D step, so we put platformer on hold, and started to put pieces together. Its going quite well.

Check out our new wip: Hive 'n' Guns # Roguelike'ish scifi FPS