Search Unity

2-D Point and Click Adventure Game Framework

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by nia1701, Jan 26, 2015.

1. nia1701

nia1701

Hi Everyone,
    I wanted to present my framework for creating 2D point and click adventure games in Unity. The first version of the framework was used to make my game, Bik - A Space Adventure for desktops and mobile.

I have been retooling the framework since my first game to use the newer built in Unity 2D features, not be reliant on plugins, and work for more game type situations beyond the 2D point and click genre.

Here are some things the framework currently does:
    • Simple 2D animation editor
    • Walking/Movement controller
    • Sequence System (A sequence is a series of actions or events that take place in order.) with conditions.
    • Variable system
    • Interaction system (will launch sequences based on clicks or other forms of interaction)
    • Dialogue System
    • Inventory System
    • Save System
    • Object Scaling
    • Sprite baseline sorting
    • State System for objects and scenes
    • Rooms management (Enter/Exit rooms, Run a sequence to setup environment before or after entering/exiting a room)
    • Editor scripts
    • Overhead text box
    • Hover text Box
    • Reveal interactive items
    • Achievements
    • Language Translation
    • In Game Notes
    All of those things have a visual editor but can also be fully accessed through scripts. Please note that this current version of the system is late alpha. There are still some bugs to work out and the editors aren't the most visually pleasing out there.

Here is a sample video for the framework editor..

I have not decided if I will release this as an asset in the asset store since I am not confident I have time to support the product. However, I am very open to being hired to implement or consult using the framework as part of a team for a project. If you are interested in those services please feel free to reach out to me through private message or here: http://zotnip.com/contact

Otherwise, feel free to ask questions below!

You can play a demo for my first game built with a pervious version of this framework at bikgame.com/bikdemo or get the game on steam! www.bikgame.com
    You can see the trailer here:

Last edited: Jan 27, 2015
  2. create3dgames

create3dgames

Looks nice..keep it up

3. Priabudiman

Priabudiman

ive noticed that back in the day you used to develop BIK in AGS correct? i am currently making the transition to unity and i found that its very hard to use for a code noob like me.

if your framework can somehow simplify the process, i will be more than happy to test it up! im trying to develop my title currently, and still having a doubt about transition to UNITY2D, but yeah.. unity will give more plus in terms of distributions and flexibility.

4. nia1701

nia1701

I did start Bik on AGS. It was a HUGE learning curve jumping over to Unity. Something like making the character walk across the screen was beyond simple in AGS, but in Unity, we have to make our own scripts to do that and handle the proper animation and the frame rate for the animation, and handle pathfinding, etc... It's a lot of work to start from scratch and unless you have nothing but free time or a team behind you, I think it is best to try and find a framework that is already built.

There is one in the asset store which does work for 2d and 3d adventure games called Adventure Creator. I don't have experience with it so it's tough to say how smoothly it works, but it has good reviews.

I'll make another post once I'm ready to accept any testers for my framework.

Thanks!

5. Luzido

Luzido

Hi Trothmaster,

this is amazing, I'm really no coder and am searching for a way to tell my stories.
    I wanted to ask if your Framework could get available for me? If there is a way then it would be really cool to get in contact with you.

Best regards

Luzido

6. SiliconAvatar

SiliconAvatar

This looks really interesting.

7. isotian

isotian

Hey trothmaster,
    Hey Mike Pinto,

I stumbled upon your game BIK and found a lot of interesting stuff when I saw your blog and twitter like hyperspace delivery service... I`m really impressed!

Me personaly I`m a programmer who want to do a 2D Point and Click Adventure Game in Unity just now. Even if I`m currently a bit out of money I want to ask you if your framework is available somehow or if you have any hints how to start to architect on?

Kind regards,
    Chris
    isotian

8. nia1701

nia1701

Hi Chris,
    Thanks for checking this out! Unfortunately I never had the time to make the system ready for public use. There are just too many bugs and code that needs cleaning to have anyone else use it. However there is a great system on the asset store called Adventure Creator that has a lot of support and a ton of features. I think it's exactly what your looking for. Good luck!