Search Unity

2.5D Power Stone Style Fighting Game

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Bossification, Oct 15, 2014.

1. Bossification

Bossification

Hi guys, I'm quite new to unity and the forums as i just got started with it in about April. I started working on this game which I'm going to release on Kicktsarter in about the next week or two. I just need some critiques and opinions about the visual style.

Below are a few images of levels and characters.

I have more images of levels and characters I can upload, and if you want to know details about the game just ask me and I'll let you know.

NinetyNinePoster.jpg Royal99.png R992.png R993.png Zao In Game.png

2. Bossification

Bossification

Do you guys like what you see? Does anyone think these visuals are compelling enough to get people to pledge to a kick starter?

3. Bossification

Bossification

I've added a quick Movement test video...This is all pre Alpha, before the combat and Item mechanics were added.

Chambers likes this.
  4. Bossification

Bossification

Damn... 300+ views no comments :(... Can someone pls throw me a bone....i just need some critiques on the visuals:(

5. Big_T

Big_T

Can't believe so many views and noone has commented. Heres the thing, I think everyone is afraid of what to say because I've noticed most people on here make games that "they" want to make and they don't care about what others think about them but I'm not sure. Personally I'm not a fan of your graphic style but I'm no one of any importance. I only responded simply because I felt bad for you that noone else had. I'm not saying the game is bad and you shouldn't do it, I would just change up the characters a bit and maybe get a few more animations so people can get a better idea of what you have going on here.

6. 1HpLeft

1HpLeft

Hi

I prefer to be honest, I don't think it's good enough for KS. ( I feel like KS is the only goal for people nowadays, like it's some kind of eldorado)
    It's you first game, right? So let it be your first game ( a buggy, not so good looking game) it's not a bad things, we all started with game that was not KS material.
    My advise , keep working on it , finish it with the only goal to make a fun game.

PS : your 3D model seem to have too much polygons.

PS : Keep working ^^

7. Bossification

Bossification

Finally feedback!!!:) Thanks guys... I really appreciate it...

@Big_T May i ask exactly what it is about the characters you would change?..you may be "no one of importance"(lol) but your opinion is valid and very important to me....

@1HpLeft Thanks for the honesty... i kinda needed that reality check...yep, my models do have a lot (too many polygons), i haven't bothered to optimize yet much... thx for the advice, i'm kind of a rookie here.

8. Ra1den

Ra1den

The art isn't quite there yet but its alpha so that's understandable :D .... Where the gameplay at? :p

EDIT: Also... Be patient, people will comment and give you feedback :)

9. Sykoo

Sykoo

It kinda looks cool and funny! I'll test it out :D

10. Bossification

Bossification

@Ra1den Srry no gameplay yet lol...im still finishing the animations...

@Sykoo Thx... As soon as there is a game to play ill send it out.

11. Bossification

Bossification

Thanks @Everyone who has replied so far...this has been a big learning experience for me...;)

12. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Why is it called '99'?
    What exactly makes you believe that the 'Power Stone' type of fighting gameplay mechanics can work in 2D?
    Also, a 2D fighting game with 'Power Stone' gameplay mechanics pretty much already exist, has completely trumped Power Stone in popularity and play-ability and will be available on 2 gaming systems by the end of the year.

13. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

I'd say I'm not a big fan of the character with the crown in the last screen shot. I think the organic modelling looks a bit off, and stylistically it's sort of a mishmash between chibi and realistic. I would maybe go one way or the other, either make the proportions more realistic or make them more stylized, like muppets or something. The hands could have more pleasing curves. Check out some of the fingers in Disney movies like Tarzan for good examples of really dynamic shapes. Since movement is really important in fighting games, maybe give each character their own style of movement (lumbering, nimble, etc) and base their posture and limb thickness on that. I do like the character in the second screen shot, and I'd be interested to see closer views of the other characters.

I'm not sure what the Tetris thing is doing?

It's cool that you have basic movement going on. The jumping is definitely floaty, but I'm sure you know.

I loved me some Power Stone back in the day and it's nice to see that people still remember it.

14. Bossification

Bossification

@BeefSupreme Thx for replying man....Here's another shot of the character i think you're talking about in screen 2. HadesSwitch.png

It was originally a chibi characters game but... the proportions were kinda hard to turn into functional fighting game character so i kinda got caught in limbo. I'll take a look at fully stylizing the game again.

15. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

Yeah, I like that guy more than the other one from your bottom screen shot. Basic form looks like kind of a gothic Dr. Doom, and the skeleton in his ultimate form actually looks pretty good!

lol, you gave me good laugh on the way to work this morning, imagining two chibis going at it who can't hit each other because their heads are too big :D

16. Bossification

Bossification

@BeefSupreme thanks for stopping by ...i realy appreciated the advice :)

17. BeefSupreme

BeefSupreme

You're very welcome. I felt bad because I was one of the people that viewed your WIP, but didn't post. I think you've got a good start on 3D modelling. Just keep practicing, you're gonna be awesome!

18. Big_T

Big_T

Well to me it was the proportion of the characters but now that I saw some of the more recent posts I understand. You're modeling isn't bad it was just the out of proportion characters that was really throwing me off. As far as Kickstarter goes, I've had several friends use it for different things(one was a CCG that actually achieved its goal and a few others were games, some made goal some did not) and I just think you need a bit more polish if you're gonna go that route. I'm not saying I wouldn't help, I've donated to over 50 projects on KS but you're gonna need something more than the pictures and video you posted here. Good luck though, I'm all for indies and smaller companies in general achieving their goals.

19. Bossification

Bossification

I'm not really sure what you're getting at... you're talking about smash bro's right...are u saying making this game is pointless because Smash is coming out?

@Big_T Thanks a lot man... I appreciate you taking the time to help me out...

20. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Jeez. Why is the game called '99? That can't be a hard question to answer. And seeing as how Power Stone looked and played like this
    , how exactly is your game supposed to similarly work?

21. Darkays

Darkays

Hello there,

I am a bit confused as to why you relate this to Power Stone, I am assuming that you are talking about the mechanic of grabbing a collection of items and then becoming powered up. If that is the case, then I think that it could very well be a fun game. Running around trying to collect these items while battling your foes sounds like a fun time.

The game does look a little "floaty" from the video. It is probably best to have tighter controls in fighting games (though I am no expert, I just play them for fun, not so much on the really competitive side).

As for the art, I think I understand what you wanted to get out of it, but I do agree it does seem off in terms of the proportion of the characters. A game that you could look into in terms of proportions and art style (as well as gameplay ideas) is Small Arms on XBLA (it is an older game). It has similar "chibi" style characters that maybe you can draw inspiration from?

I am not sure if you should pursue Kickstarter just yet. Like the others have said, you need to have some more polish and more than just a test video and some 3D models. You also need to outline what exactly you will be using the money you raise for. If you are going to use it to get a Unity pro license then I might hold off on it. Mess around with the free version some more and learn the ins and outs of that. When you start hitting the limits of what the free version can do is a wise time to look into getting the pro version.

At any rate, I think that it sounds like a cool idea. I hoped I helped out some and I wish you the best.

22. Bossification

Bossification

@Darkays Yes, that's the idea, you grab gems to power up and collect items. Thanks for the advice, I took a look at Small Arms; just a quick look, but I'll take a more comprehensive one when I'm free. It has a good art style...and it will help me out. Your comment was very helpful, and i really appreciate you taking the time out to help me :)

23. Bossification

Bossification

@ANTMAN0079 Power Stone 2 is a closer to what I'm trying to achieve here, Besides restricting it to a 2D axis... the games are mechanically very similar, the combat system had to be revised a little bit but i made sure it worked in 2D a very long time ago or I wouldn't have continued this far...

"Jeez. Why is the game called '99? That can't be a hard question to answer." --- It actually is, that's not specifically the name of the game on it's own, the story also provides context to the name aswel...

24. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

"i made sure it worked in 2D a very long time ago..."

And just how long ago could that be? All you have to show currently on this forum is some screenshots and a video that quite frankly makes me think I'm tripping balls. There was another fighting game project on the forums months ago that possibly had potential. But the developer's immediate goal was just to have a successful Kickstarter. It failed for some obvious reasons, and I don't see a good future for your own.

"That can't be a hard question to answer." --- It actually is..."

So... what is the story on the game being called '99? Either you have a story that you yourself aren't good at telling, or you don't have a good story to tell. Or you think your story is so secretive and cool that you won't tell it, which is just silly.

And your game looks far more like that Smalls Arms game than Power Stone 2. That should be even more evidence as to what direction your game looks like it's heading towards.

25. Bossification

Bossification

@ANTMAN0079

"Either you have a story that you yourself aren't good at telling, or you don't have a good story to tell. Or you think your story is so secretive and cool that you won't tell it, which is just silly."

It's a fighting game...it doesn't even require that much of a story line, either way that's not why I am here... I'm not here for validation on my game mechanics or storyline...I've told you what I'm making, a Power Stone style fighting game, all I needed was critiques of the visual and some cool guys here have done that.

This isn't an interrogation, You're clearly not interested in this project, nor have you given me any advice in any of your 3 comments.

"I just need some critiques and opinions about the visuals"--- That was in the second line of my original post, no matter how vague everyone who has posted so far has managed to do that except you.

I don't mind people asking question but your's are straying a bit too far.

Feel free to express your opinion like everyone but if you can help me further my project in the process, I'd appreciate that.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2014
    BeefSupreme likes this.
  26. ANTMAN0079

ANTMAN0079

Much like other developers, just won't answer a question. I just found out about the 'Unwatch Thread' button and I will be using this very often from now on.