Search Unity

2.5D platformer inspired by Mario and Metroid.

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Bladefire30, Mar 27, 2015.

1. Bladefire30

Bladefire30

Greeting! My name is Jacob and I am working on my very first game. Considering it is my first game I don't expect it to be some spectacular thing, but I am going to try!

[What will the game be about?]
    As for now I don't know much about the game. I'm in very early stages of development. In other words I'm working on story and character design. What I do know right now is that it will be a 2.5D platformer game inspired by Mario and Metroid. I would like it to be a mix of platform and adventure. You play as a pirate character that I have yet to name, I'm still debating on two names (Pip or Rummy). I also hope to break the 4th wall a few times and I'm thinking about adding voice acting, but that might change in the future.
    There will be an easter egg/reference to a well known YouTuber in the game.

That's pretty much everything I have about the game. I will be making videos about the game on my YouTube channel (Bladefire30) and I've already made one, but at that time it was a Markiplier fan game.
    Until next time, bye! :D

Last edited: Mar 27, 2015
  2. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

Hey Bladefire, welcome to the forums!

I look forward to your videos! Striking out on your first game is super exciting! Good luck with the development.

Would love to see some screenshots as you make progress.

Bladefire30 likes this.
  3. Bladefire30

Bladefire30

I will make sure to post many screen shots. Once I finish the character design of the main character I will post a picture of him.

4. theANMATOR2b

theANMATOR2b

Welcome aboard @Bladefire30
    This is all you need - in order to start working on game mechanics.
    All other stuff (story, art, pretties, names) can wait until after you have some game play prototyped up and working properly with simple game elements, boxes and spheres.

Better to focus on game play up front so you don't waste time.
    Getting a proper story created, characters designed, name chosen and additional artwork created takes a considerable amount of time and if the game play elements you have thought up - end up not working well, all that time you spent on story, character and art may be time lost.

Just a helpful hint from a person who's sprinted down the road you are starting on, and has learned some valuable lessons. :)