Search Unity

Looking for someone very experienced who I can ask questions.

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by farzher, Sep 10, 2013.

1. farzher

farzher

I'm a professional web developer. I've made games too, a while ago, mostly 2D (flash, html5).

I have a lot of questions, and of course I know how to Google, but honestly, I don't like most of the answers I'm getting. It seems Unity isn't built for programmers.
    The last thing I looked up, I found multiple answers to, all of which were messes. I ended up using my own solution, which was better than what I found, but I still didn't like it. So yeah, it'd be great to have someone experienced to IM. Basically just questions about best practices.
    I really like clean code... I'm actually working on my own programming language.

If for whatever reason you want to know about some web stuff (database/PHP/javascript) I know what's up there.
    Hopefully we're able to help each other out!

Last edited: Sep 10, 2013
  2. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Of course it is. You won't get anywhere without programming.

--Eric

3. farzher

farzher

What? I said nothing about that.

What I'm trying to say is, the programming seems to be more friendly to non-programmers.
    The answer to doing most things is "just copy paste this snippet in a new script and drag it onto your object"
    There's no main function, and just snippets all over. So I'm like, "how am I supposed to make a structured anything with this."
    Probably I just don't understand how Unity works; but that's my point. It's not like normal programming environments.

4. cod3r

cod3r

You've got to start at the beginning. Lots of tutorials, but once you start working with it like this you'll love it.

For scripts that you add to a game object you can use the Update function that is called every frame. It's pretty simple and very object oriented.

Check out the MonoBehaviour class.

5. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Feel free to private message me your skype.

I Could use some web dev knowledge ;) in exchange i'll answer questions regarding Unity and programming.

best,

6. farzher

farzher

I'm usually all for tutorials. But the ones I've been finding just aren't doing things the way I want to.
    I'm doing a lot of procedural generation, not using the UI for level design at all.
    Probably I need to look for text tutorials and not youtube videos. /:

7. cod3r

cod3r

8. create3dgames

create3dgames

I am very experienced with Unity. If you have any questions that you can't find a good answer to on the web, PM me and I'll help you out.

9. farzher

farzher