Search Unity

Rocket Wreck - two player cave-flyer dogfight split-screen action game ..huh?

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by chelnok, Sep 8, 2013.

1. chelnok

chelnok

Hello world, i was checking early versions of a game i am working with my friend. It was fun to see the beginning again and how the game started to get some shape. I thought to take some screenshots and drop them here in WIP with some explanation, while there is still some time to get feedback.

My part is mostly coding, but also special fxs and some photoshopping. My friend handles all the 3D modeling and art, most of the level designing and also some coding and other things like project management. And there is one talented fella for music and sound fxs.

$rocketwreckScreenshots620fly2.jpg

It all started little over year ago when i was playing around with 2D Shooter tutorial by Eric5h5. My friend was thinking it would be cool to make a game like Turboraketti. This one was first Unity project for both of us, so it took some time to learn basics, and then learn basics again few times :) ..but thats how it goes.

$rocketwreck_screenshots_620px_part1.jpg

Some of the original ideas changed during the project, some things were abandoned and new ones added. Big picture newer changed.

$rocketwreck_screenshots_620px_part2.jpg

There was some time periods when there was no time or motivation to continue, last six months for example :) Past few days have been productive even it took some time to get back to messy project.

Finishing the project takes probably couple more weeks depending how much time can be used for this.

I'll drop some more pics and video later. Any tips for screen recorder for osx?

Any comments and suggestions are very wellcome :)

Last edited: Sep 8, 2013
  2. chelnok

chelnok

Some screenshots.. menu, settings.. blue camera background is going to be changed :)

$rocketwreck_screenshotsMenu_620px.jpg

3. georetro

georetro

This looks really interesting! The concept is unique to my understanding and would be pretty cool to play. Is this going to be free or paid? What modelling software do you use by the way?

4. lancer

lancer

he said they use Blender in the first post.

5. SpaceMammoth

SpaceMammoth

I've thought about doing a game like this, so I'm keen to see how this pans out.

6. chelnok

chelnok

Thanks. There were quite a lot these kind of splitscreen games back in 90's. Nowadays its naturally more common to use network to connect two players. But it is very different to play on same screen with your friends. That part is tested, and its lot of fun :)

We are going to publish this as a paid, and hopefully cover some costs (read: beer and pizza)

Yes, all models done in Blender.

7. chelnok

chelnok

We are going to drop a test version with one deathmatch and one race level here ..this weekend probably? Stay tuned :)

8. BFGames

BFGames

Looks very fun! I will follow it!

9. puppeteer

puppeteer

From the screenshots it looks like you put lots of work into it, though in these types of games we can only get a feel of how well it plays from videos or a webplayer. Waiting for that!

Anyway, if you want some inspiration you should check out EVE Valkyrie. That one is looking to be one awesome space dog-fighting game.

Keep up the good work!

10. georetro

georetro

I have read through the first post twice but I still can't see where he said that he used blender. Nevertheless thanks for the info.

@chelnok Thanks for your info aswell

11. chelnok

chelnok

Video ..finally :)

Clip from one level during playing a playtest session ..no gamesound, bg music included in iMovie.

12. chelnok

chelnok

Learning to use iMovie. Teaser test, very dramatic :)

13. chelnok

chelnok

So.. what you all developers think, should there be playable demo, or is it enough to have vids to show how the gameplay goes?

14. rame16

rame16

Hello, it's a cool, nice project. Personnally the video is very representative of the maniability of the game.. it looks fairly easy to handle and looks fun.

15. chelnok

chelnok

Yes, lots of work :) Here is one designspec from early production of players ship:

$FlaxusInfo.jpg

Thanks, EVE Valkyrie looks awesome! ..but no more inspiration :) still dropping some features to get this thing published.

oh, and i dont think there is gonna be webplayer, if something, downloadable demo for one or two levels, but i hope the videos are enough.

16. chelnok

chelnok

Thank you! I really hope the vid is representative enough :) ..sure i'll do the demo if ppl thinks its necessary. Anyone else care to share their thoughts?

17. chelnok

chelnok

Okay, its finally pretty much done. Tested only with few computers, so i guess it would be good idea to at least double that ..so i was wondering, if there was few ppl who would be willing to download the game, and check if it runs fine. There was a problem with one mac ..the game just didnt open? I newer found a reason for that. All win machines have done fine ..not yet tested with linux, so if you have one, it would be awesome if you would be so nice, and do a test for me. Drop a post or pm, and i'll send instructions.

18. Sir-Tiddlesworth

Sir-Tiddlesworth

Still looking for Linux testers?

19. chelnok

chelnok

Not really.. i already gave up that, and forget the whole thing. I think i should fix my signature ..and i should had dropped a post here too :) ..but thank you! You are the very first person to be interested to help! I did install couple linux things to my laptop, and to be honest, i managed to erase the recovery partition, which caused some problems to get windows and all drivers back to that laptop :) Anyway, the game seems to open and run quite well with linux Mint and with another one i tried. ..i did not get it to work with Ubuntu (but i'm total newbie with linux).

Game is ready to be published (Desura), but fixing all the ..publish material ..and now waiting all the christmas holidays and S***, it seems to take some time.

Drop me a pm, and i will send you free copy of the game. Again, thank you for being helpful. Actually, i suppose .. your feedback would actually be very wellcome, no matter i already gave up to get any :)

20. chrisall76

chrisall76

Love the look of the game so far, good job!

21. chelnok

chelnok

Game is going to be released on Desura in few days.. if you cant wait :) its already there for preorders.

Linux version is not yet on Desura, but coming soon.

Final version of the game trailer:

22. chelnok

chelnok

Testing Desura gift codes..

Get Rocket Wreck from Desura
    http://www.desura.com/games/rocket-wreck

Free keys:
    O3O97-5US23-UN8M2-V17NB-4OPGU
    TEBAS-6SE8U-EPEYR-2268P-PBI5F
    OBZSF-QPYDS-RAPFZ-54B0Y-GPBYU
    WZIFX-C9V0U-EH9N9-EPKPL-23QRU
    NOKAK-XHYQW-HU993-K1JMP-WEMBI