Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Any 'Hold my hand' Unity 101 tutorials out there ?

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by punkouter, Sep 4, 2013.

1. punkouter

punkouter

2. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

That was certainly simple.

My series is interactive and actually teaches you to code. Most of it is not follow along and code. You code it yourself.

Best,

Jon

3. Focuzed

Focuzed

Except the part where you say "If your like me, you know how to code" and expect us to already know how to code.

4. Socrates

Socrates

For learning the basics of Unity, I recommend the two tutorials I have linked in my signature. I found both useful when I first started with Unity.

5. punkouter

punkouter

Ok. thanks ill give it a shot.. I like videos but sometimes I prefer written ones since I can book marks then and search for specific instructions. Looks for a c#/unity book but the last one out was about 2 years ago :(

6. punkouter

punkouter

The PDFs look useful... really what I need is not a tour of the UI or even c# programming... My confusion is more around what to do after creating the objects I need ... How to begin getting them to talk to each other.. refer to each other.. basic scripting for moving... so that I why I really liked the link I post above.. its basic but give enough info to to create many variations of that simple game

7. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

You must not have looked in my signature. I provide a link to the fundamentals of C# programming.

8. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

I also liked Unity3dstudent.com

9. Mikdar

Mikdar

+1...... Awesome tutorials

10. cod3r

cod3r

there are really many parts to unity to learn. 3DBuzz is a great place to start. You have to learn the GUI and how to work inside of unity, then you'll need to learn how to use the unity libraries.

If you've never programmed before it's going to get VERY complicated pretty quickly. I would spend lots of time on the fundamentals of c# first. Writing basic things reading files, working with arrays and lists, etc..

Once you have a decent foundation in that regard you can go to a tutorial series on using unity. 3Dbuzz has a great one. Learn about how to move around in the scene, how objects and components work, creating terrains and lights and particles and all that noise.

To me once you have those 2 foundations you can start to combine them with the tutorials out there and they wont seem as complicated. Start simple maybe with what SubZero has (I haven't seen it), for sure the 3dBuzz fundamental course, then move on to something like the burgzerg hack and slash tutorial. It's very complex, but with a foundation in C# you can stop play around with the code and the GUI in your own projects to get a feel for what is really going on.

It's best to keep in mind as a beginner this is a long learning process, but a life long hobby so take it 1 day at a time. Accept that it will take a decent amount of time to get even marginally proficient at unity game dev, and YEARS before you are as good as the guys writing these tutorials, and you'll get there in due time.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2013
  11. Mikdar

Mikdar

Well put cod3r :p

and good luck pumkouter

12. punkouter

punkouter

I am a .net dev as a job for about 10 years now so its not really about the pure coding.. For me its understanding how to script objects to work together since that is a different way of thinking so small examples that demonstrate manipulating objects and interacting with them are the most helpful to me at the moment... The one that comes with unity is far too complex for me at the moment when I am just trying to get some basic game going.. something with less than 50 lines of script for example

13. cod3r

cod3r

oh cool then you have a decent amount of the battle won. I'd go for a pure how to use unity type of tutorial first.

3D buzz fundamentals is free. Get a good feel for how to work your way around unity and understanding a lot of the basic principals:

http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/unity-fundamentals

from there i'd do their 2d spaceshooter tutorial. Real basic game, but really turns the light on with how the code and the game objects work together.

http://www.3dbuzz.com/training/view/unity-standard/simple-2d-shooter

From there the harder tutorials will get easier and easier.

There are so many tutorials out there it doesn't hurt to just work on a bunch of them.. Especially if the type of game particularly interests you.. Some take longer than others so early on I think it's good to start with the simple ones that can take you from start to finish (like the 3d buzz) and not take 30 hours of video to get through it.

BurgZerg hack and slash is the ultimate programming in unity tutorial. He splits them up in mini series. I think for the most part you can jump around so if you see something that interests you more than the other you can try it out without having to go through the entire series.

14. punkouter2019

punkouter2019

Anyone know what happen to that MH2H or something sample games?? There was some egg drop into a bucket, and 3 or 4 other tiny games.. it was great but last I checked it didn't work with the latest version of unity

The buzz 2d sample look good. Ill book mark that

15. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

So you know c#?

I'm not sure why you turned down my signature then....

16. punkouter2019

punkouter2019

I book marked your series. looks good...

heres a fun idea.. What if there was a contest to create the best game in under 50 lines of script ? I remember in the apple //e days there where people fitting entire game son one line number of basic.