Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

FXLab - Advanced Effects for Unity Free

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Marrrk, Sep 4, 2013.

1. Hyblademin

Hyblademin

Definitely getting this; looks well worth the price.

Triple kudos to your team.

2. Crzed

Crzed

Just picked this up yesterday, but was sad to see that black hole effect (mostly the reason I bought the package for) wasn't included in the samples. Can you provide a bit of guidance on how I can recreate this? The included PDF doesn't go into a lot of detail.

3. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi Crzed,

the black hoole effect bases upon the Distortion shader, just add a Normalmap generated from a texture similar to this:
    https://www.filterforge.com/wiki/images/1/13/Radial_gradient.jpg

After that you need to create a material with the Distortion shader, add the normalmap to the distortion texture slot and a mask (the one linked above, will do) to the mask slot. Put the shader on a billboard and set the layer of the GameObject to a layer which is visible for ALL working cameras (normally you want to use a layer which is invisible to the FXCameras FXTexture components). Setting the layer to this ensures that the feedback effect will work.

I can add this as a base sample to the next version.

4. imtrobin

imtrobin

Can't seem to get the glass demo to be transparent like your crystal demo. Can you include the demo samples setup.

5. Marrrk

Marrrk

Sorry, I cant, the Ruins demo sample uses content from turbosquid, which I am not allowed to redistribute legally. But I can help you of course with the setup. Can you show me how it looks for you, including the setup?

6. imtrobin

imtrobin

I don't need the ruins sample. You can use cubes to setup, that's fine. There's no transparency in the glass demo, unlike the crystals

7. Marrrk

Marrrk

Hi, there is a Glass sample scene provided in FXLab, did you look at it? You can also try to change the Fresnel value from the Material, which specifies how strong the refraction is vs the reflection. If you still can´t see anything, check whether the Material displays some hints/problems found.

Also check that your FXCamera is on the camera which will render your Glass or preceedes the camera which will render your glass. It is also possible that the FX Textures associated to the camera are not configured properly (camera used for this texture is not set, eg.)

8. Crzed

Crzed

Thanks for the help. I got something similar, but different up and working now. I think it'd be a big help to me and others if it was included in the future.

9. Marrrk

Marrrk

I will add additional samples in the next version (heathaze, blackhole and more post processing samples).

10. Marrrk

Marrrk

A quick development info to v1.1

Reworked the whole FXRenderTexture system, now it is possible to:

• display separate FXRenderTextures (Preview)
    • change/set FXRenderTexture properties (Resolution Factor and whether the Texture will be generated from simple ScreenGrabs or not)
    • export FXRenderTextures as Assets, which then can be used as source for Materials
    • Grabbing of full resolution images (ScreenGrab) which was needed for some anti aliasing post process effect
    Better help system which will display better tips and can automatically solve more problems
    Ability to drag&drop FXRenderTextures onto FXTextures (the things which will fill these textures) and onto Materials
    • FXLab Materials will use a CustomMaterialEditor
    • FXRenderTexture assignments will be handled through a new component which will automatically added when using a FXLab material
    Complete rewrite of all FXLab´s buildin shaders and cginc file
    • Better API
    • Allows settable FXRenderTextures
    • More speed
    • Cleaner code
    Added some post processing effects (more to come)
    • HeatVision (Military)
    • Scanlines
    • TV Noise
    • SSAO
    • AntiAliasing (SSAA)
    Currently it is my task to fix several bugs which where introduced through these changes, add a better memory handling and increase the usability of some elements (The CustomMaterialEditor for example).

More effects are also in the pipeline.

11. Marrrk

Marrrk

FXLab Version 1.1 has been submitted, it took a really long time to finish this up due to the many system rewrites needed to support the new features.

But now the max 4 FXTexture limitation is gone, along with the max 50% screen resolution for textures restriction. RenderTextures are now handleable assets and several new mechanics should make the work with FXLab easier.

I added a FX Capture Screen component which will simply capture the currently visible screen content after the camera is done rendering (before GUI), which can be placed before or after post processing effects and will not rerender the scene into a texture like the FXTextures do. The captured image is always equal sized to the screen size.

We now have a new FXTexture type (World Normals) for special effects in which these are needed.

You can now setup and look into the RenderTexture asset:

As you can see you can now group the textures along a priority and provide an Update Interval which increases the performance dramatically (33 milliseconds is enough to provide a very good ratio between quality and speed).

It is also possible to set a request size for the texture, a size which will never grow above this setting, which makes it possible to build something like RT GI texture atlases (something the Frostbite uses).

And I included some new shaders. But I left out the HeatHaze shader, which is nearly complete but not yet ready to be published (we will push it forward into a next release which will hopefully not take that long).

We also completely reworked the samples, so that it will contain the HeatHaze and BlackHole samples along with a nicer environment:

(SoftParticles sample)

If the version has been accepted, we will report about it.

---

The next version will hopefully contain a working (or better: an easier to setup) SSAO effect and sample, along with a functional SSR effect sample.

This is the current first test version of the SSR (unoptimized, bug ridden, slow and still ugly):
    https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/2446365/FXLabSamples/SSR/SSR.html

---

If you have some requests regarding effects and functionality. tell us and we will look into this and maybe include it into one of the next versions.

Last edited: Nov 11, 2013
  12. Cyrien5100

Cyrien5100

I dont understand well, SSAO is in 1.1 ? Or it will be for 1.2 ? Or just improved in 1.2 ?
    SSR is very very impressive !
    I can suggest Shadow mapping ?

13. Marrrk

Marrrk

SSAO is present in 1.1 but not in a quality you want use (very hard to configure and produces results in some situations which are quite ugly). I plan to add a better version of it in one of the next versions.

14. Marrrk

Marrrk

Heat/Night Vision effects:

My partner develops a system to display the heat of the environment,usable for the lovely night vision effect. The effect uses a ramp texture to tint the pixels based upon the emitted heat, here are some early sample screenshots, along the used ramp texture:

Normal scene:

Gray:

Infrared1:

Infrared2:

The setup of the PP effect:

Last edited: Nov 14, 2013
  15. pixelsteam

pixelsteam

really great for a ghost hunter game;)

16. Chaosgod_Esper

Chaosgod_Esper

I´m very interested in your shockwave
    But not for spherical shock, more for ground shock (like a monster is hitting the ground and a quake-shockwave is casted).

17. Marrrk

Marrrk

The shockwave effect can be applied on any mesh, the sphere mesh is only the most fitting for the shockwave. so you have the full control what should expand. A ring mesh would be possible too. Or simple particles which will spawn in ring formation.

18. Marrrk

Marrrk

The next version will contain the support for UnityPro native RenderTextures, which means:

If you will upgrade your project from Unity to UnityPro, FXLab will perform much faster by using the native RenderTextures instead of the emulated ones from FXLab. The remaining stuff from FXLab will function as usual: FXTextures, ScreenCapturing, PostProcessing, eg, only faster.

So you dont need to throw away everything you made with FXLab. It will still work, but better.

Also the thermal/night vision plugin will be added. Which now supports FLIR modes.

19. M_E_O

M_E_O

I'm really enjoying this fx pack, but since updating to the latest version of unity (and FxLab), I'm getting an annoying problem, with the blur effect. Everything which is blurred, is also darkened. This didn't happen until i updated, so any idea what's going on, what is wrong?

I've tried reimporting assets, reinstalling Unity, redone my camera setup (with scripts etc.), and nothing works, to get rid of the darkening of the blur.

$blur_darkened.jpg

EDIT: I figured out what the problem was; Unity had somehow without me noticing it switched from Gamma to Linear light. I switched it back, and it works a treat again. Awesome asset. :)

Last edited: Dec 7, 2013
  20. propapandagames

propapandagames

Can you provide some statistics to compare the performance of your FXLab with Unity Pro's "proper" render textures? All other things being equal, what's the performance difference (in time and/or FPS) when running a comparable post-processing shader on a render texture of the same size?

I'm definitely interested in purchasing but I would like to know more about the tradeoffs before I make a decision.

21. denebhyde

denebhyde

Hi - nice work :)
    I am interesting "Comic/Cell shading post processing shader" when this shader will include in FXlab?

22. imtrobin

imtrobin

Underwater effect eats up Global Fog. Image effect.

23. zkaka

zkaka

hi everyone!
    how can i make water transparent with depth_reflection_refraction shader? i try to change some setting but nothing happen :(

24. wiseowlstudios

wiseowlstudios

Is there any tutorials on this on how to make the underwater cam work from land eg walk into water it activates i also cant find the working version of the island to use that

25. nasos_333

nasos_333

Hi

I would like to ask if all or some of the assets found in the demo scenes can be used for a commercial product, especially the crystals and some of the foliage.

Is the demo scene from the webplayer available as well ?

Also i am using this in Unity free and i cant get refraction when i enable depth, am i doing something wrong ? (speaking about hte water sample scene, i enable depth in the water and the refraction seems to be gone)

Thanks

EDIT: I noticed the refraction is still there, but now depends on the angle, in some edges i dont see it like before, in others it still exists

EDIT2: Also i cant seem to be able to assign a material in the Decal shader

Last edited: Feb 12, 2014
  26. Danirey

Danirey

Hi,

I'm trying to make a shockwave in my game, but as soon as i set the shader in the material i get errors for every parameter of the shockwave shader. I load the demo scene and the same problem there. So i have a pink sphere. The other shaders works fine. Do you have any idea?

Thanks.

PD: as soon as i can i'll post the exact error message, but is something like the parameter strength is missing. And the same for each one.

EDIT: SOLVED! Reinstalling the package solved the problem. Thanks!

Last edited: Apr 1, 2014
  27. mmax

mmax

Does anyone experience problems (compile errors) when also Decal System from Edelweiss Interactive is installed ?

ReflectionTypeLoadException: The classes in the module cannot be loaded.
    System.Reflection.Assembly.GetExportedTypes () (at /Users/builduser/buildslave/monoAndRuntimeClassLibs/build/mcs/class/corlib/System.Reflection/Assembly.cs:376)
    FXMaterialHelper.<get_FXTextureTypes>m__6 (System.Reflection.Assembly assembly) (at Assets/FXLab/Scripts/Editor/FXMaterialHelper.cs:35)

Or just me ?

28. Sykoo

Sykoo

My inspector settings for Post Proccess FX dissappears after a while. Please help me out, this happens every time, and I am tired of starting on a new project all the time.

29. FlatterBacke

FlatterBacke

FXLab Plugin Updates.

The Unity 4.5+ Hotfix again, remember to it first befor using a Plugin.
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/Unity_4_5_1_DX11_Hotfix/FXLab_1_2_X_Shader_Hotfix_for_Unity4_5_1_DX11.unitypackage

The FXLab Glow Plugin Version 1.0 is done and now aviable for you to download for free.

FXLab Glow Plugin Package:
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/FXGlow/FXLab_Glow_Plugin_V1_0/FXGlow_V1_0.unitypackage

FXLab Glow Plugin Sample Scene Project:
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/FXGlow/FXLab_Glow_Plugin_Sample_Scene_V1_0/FXGlow_SampleScene_V1_0.unitypackage

And 2 Manual Versions for the Glow Plugin.

FXLab Glow Plugin Online Manual:
    http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/FXGlow/FXLab_Glow_Plugin_Manual/WebVersion/FXLab Glow Plugin Documentaion/index.html

FXLab Glow Plugin Offline Manual:
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/FXGlow/FXLab_Glow_Plugin_Manual/OfflineVersion/FXLab%20Glow%20Plugin%20Documentaion.zip

FXLab Glow Plugin Sample Webplayer:
    http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/...WebPlayer/FXLabGlowPluginSampleWebplayer.html

The Thermal Plugin Download with the missing Sample Scene Project Download link:

FXLab Thermal View Plugin Package:
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/ThermalVisionPlugin/PluginPackage/FXLab_ThermalVisionPlugin.unitypackage

FXLab Thermal View Plugin Sample Scene Project:
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/ThermalVisionPlugin/PluginSampleScenePackage/FXLab_ThermalVisionPlugin_BigSample.unitypackage

And 2 Manual Versions for the Thermal View Plugin.

FXLab Thermal View Plugin Online Manual:
    http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/ThermalVisionPlugin/PluginManual/FXLab Thermal Plugin Documentation/index.html

FXLab Thermal View Plugin Offline Manual:
    www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/Assets/FXLab/ThermalVisionPlugin/PluginManual/FXLab%20Thermal%20Plugin%20Documentation.zip

FXLab Thermal View Plugin Sample Webplayer:
    http://www.flatter.syrka.net/Unity/...eSceneWebplayer/ThermalVisionSampleScene.html

I Hope you have fun with it.

Greetings.

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

Are your changes keeping Glow lightweight in ressources as the original didin't eat almost any frame rate ?
    Thanks FlatterBacke :)

31. smoketh

smoketh

Uh. I have a question. Is there a way to switch post-process texture filtering mode to point?

UPG: Solved- in FXRenderTextureData
    Line 104 for pro and 126 for indie respectively

Last edited: Nov 14, 2014
  32. Sykoo

Sykoo

Does the inspector window not show you the texture settings neither? I have the same problem.

33. atilah

atilah

Dear Friend, bought your plugin but always freezes in "Importing small assets" when trying to add it into the project. Please help !!!

34. zenGarden

zenGarden

Unity 5 free has all PRo features, you don't need that plugin anymore.
    Why are you asking it ?