Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Suggestion of a good Unity beginner book focused on C#

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by Setmaster, Sep 2, 2013.

1. Setmaster

Setmaster

I found lots of old topics talking about the matter, but I ended up with a big list of Unity 3.x or links that go nowhere, so any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

2. Mikdar

Mikdar

At the moment (as far as I know) there is a book being released early next year that is c# and beginner programmer orientated, but for now maybe look at sub zeros tutorials, I found his tutorials very helpful. Otherwise if you are dead set on a book, the complete reference to c# 4.0 is really good, but not unity specific

3. SubZeroGaming

SubZeroGaming

Thanks, Mikdar.

As Mikdar said, my tutorial series is very helpful for the beginner and goes into topics from complete beginner to utilizing the Unity3D API to get an intermediate understanding of programming in Unity3D!

As far as books go, for Unity3D, the main c# book is Will Goldstiens essentials book. It has both javascript and c#. It's not the best, but it's great for learning the interface and basic scripting on a certain level I should say. If you are looking to learn programming in general for Unity and you have no knowledge, I recommend starting with c++ and learn the fundamentals of programming. After doing that, you can easily addapt to any high level programming language.

If you don't want todo that, you can learn the fundamentals through c# in my signature. Acem gaming has a cool tutorial set up for it, and when you feel comfortable head over to my series on Youtube and you'll learn a great deal!

Best,

Jon