Search Unity

Need help beginning to learn

Discussion in 'Community Learning & Teaching' started by corentinrobin29, Aug 30, 2013.

1. corentinrobin29

corentinrobin29

Hello,

My name is Corentin (I'm French), and I'm 15. I, with a group of friends decided to get into game development. We were in love with Cryengine 3, and fainted when we saw how hard to master it was. I have now turned to Unity.

I am the mind of the group, as I see the others' motivation dwindling. I need a lot of help.

1). Where can I find decent/good Unity 3D tutorials?

2). I have litterally no experience in programming, but I have the motivation to learn. What language should I learn first? Lua? C++?

3). Coding can be learned, but how do you go from lines of code to a game? (Create start menu, go from lines of code to graphical interface, etc...)

Thank you in advance

I know it's going to be long, and I know debugging is a pain in the ass, but I really want to learn.

2. okm1123

okm1123

Unity`s Community is growing each second so you will find alot of tutorials if you searched , but the best kind of tutorials is the long series .

Lua and C++ are not supported in Unity ( Without third party plugins atlease I think ) but C# and UnityScript are supported so you better learn one of them if you want to use unity ( which is the best game engine in my opinion ) .

If you want to start with Unity script then http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/69938-Unity-3-Video-Training-Course-(FREE)-Walker-Boys .
    Unity script is the easy language in unity and you can make simple games very easy with it .

While C# is a harder language but its global , Most engines use it now , so you can use it in most of them ( Learn once , use twice ) .
    Here is a good course for C# ( Note that this course is not for unity , but its C# game development , you will learn the language ) .
    http://www.freewebs.com/campelmxna/tutorials.htm

Also C# is a bit advanced and most advanced games in unity are made with it .

Hope this helps you , A unity fan .