Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

In-House 2D Support with Unity 4.3

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by BTStone, Aug 28, 2013.

1. juicy-juice

juicy-juice

This may have be talked about already but I have a couple questions:
    - when will this thing be released?
    - how does one get on the beta?

Switching from Corona to Unity and about to include a ton of 3rd party tooling to get what we need. Would hate to have to re-architect the code to match 4.3 upon it's arrival. If it's arrival is close.

2. keely

keely

3. thiagofdp

thiagofdp

That's great to hear.
    I'm starting to learn Unity to make my final Academic project, to graduate in Computer Science, and this new 2D support will help me a lot.

4. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Cool video, looks even better than before.

5. Frooxius

Frooxius

This is awesome! Ever since I discovered Unity I hoped for some built-in support that makes 2D games easier and I'm happy that it's coming.

I would like to ask how does the Box2D physics engine compare to PhysX performance wise? If you have a lot of active 2D rigidbodies with box/circle collider, is it going to be faster compared to same scene 3D rigidbody with constrained Z axis and X, Y rotation? I mean, it's optimized just for 2D, so it should save a lot of calculations. If so, do you have any benchmarks to show how big the performance difference might be?

I plan working on a 2D game that will have higher number of rigidbodies and higher performance would certainly make it much easier :)

6. meta87

meta87

Chipmunk's Unity port has significantly better performance than physX so hopefully the same for Box2d.

The video is awesome! Thanks for posting. Looks like a great workflow.

One thing I'm wondering.. How are the allocations for sprite animations, etc? Hoping close to zero, still a major concern for these older ios devices.

7. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Also how about the 2d mesh colliders, are they super slow like in PhysX or much better performance that you can use them as much as you want?

8. Frooxius

Frooxius

I think 2D mesh colliders will definitely be more heavy than box/circle, but it would also interest me how efficient are they? I always try to avoid using mesh colliders as much as possible and approximate the shape with a few boxes/spheres/capsules (especially when it also has to run on mobile devices).

Is it possible to use them for the environment, creating smooth(er) curved surfaced for example?

Also what is going to be exposed in the scripting API? Are there going to be 2D raycasts for example?

9. keely

keely

On the matter of physics performance, all I can say is that 2D physics will be faster than 3D physics in similar setups.

How much, we don't know yet since there is still so much left to tweak and optimize.

10. Spidyy

Spidyy

All I have to say is... F*** Yeah! Now I won't have to make my own 2D workflow, all I have to do is wait for the 4.3 to be released. :p

Will the 2D workflow be available for all Unity licenses? Only Pro? One special 2D License?

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  11. Durayel

Durayel

The Sprite Packer is Pro only. Everything else is graciously available to all.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2013
  12. Gemfruit

Gemfruit

As someone who has access to the 2D beta, is there any reason I should wait for the official release before starting an actual project? For instance, will anything change that will require me to greatly overhaul a project already in the works using the 2D beta setup?

13. lilymontoute

lilymontoute

Probably a question not suited for the forums, but using any beta for an actual project is "at-your-own-risk" - betas are generally stable, but things can break or change (and have done so plenty of times before), or production-halting issues can come up.

14. WillBellJr

WillBellJr

An additional vote!

Just like how I love my Anime Studio Pro based chars, bendy / squishy, vector based chars in Unity would be hella nice to have, not to mention they should be way more lightweight than pixel based artwork.

Yes, please consider this some more!

-Will

15. rmViper

rmViper

I was wondering if 4.3 will also have vertex lit sprites

16. Durayel

Durayel

Yes, you can set a vertex colour on a sprite that's independent of the material and doesn't interfere with batching. The default shader then multiplies the fragment by this colour.

17. xCyborg

xCyborg

Since there has been mention of dopesheet integration and from the Mr Bean project, I take there is 2D skeletal animation.
    This is very important because the only solution that supports this right now is Smoothmoves which is slow and rubbish (and Spine but its not a Unity thing per se) so the way you implement a mecanism for 2D skeletal animation in the Animation Editor is crucial to Unity 2D development. Just tell me you thought of it: Intuitive Bone-based Skeleletal animation in Animation Editor with dopesheet and Event system, all fully controllable by Mecanim and its Blending capabilities, so I can sigh relief.
    Sprite animation is a must but Skeletal animation is a priority, please.

18. Kurius

Kurius

Since the last post is from 1 week ago, I'd like to keep this thread alive and ask how the progress is going on Unity 4.3 ?

19. andrewgr

andrewgr

A vague guess at timeline would be really helpful. I've done about all I can on my project using Cocos2DXNA in a generic fashion so it could be ported to Unity2D; the remaining work is going to wind up being progressively less engine-neutral. If we're talking weeks until a public beta, I can stick that out; if we're talking the new year before I can get my hands on it, then I want to just commit to Cocos as the final platform and move forward. (And lest someone suggest that I sign up for the closed beta, I tried and was told it's closed.)

20. Durayel

Durayel

Well Unity 4.3 is supposed to constitute Unity's "fall update". So provided there are no setbacks, Unity 4.3 should be available to all before the end of November I presume.

21. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

Volunteer Moderator Moderator

Fall ends on December 21, so if necessary hold off complaining about "missed release dates" until then. ;) As for public betas, I haven't heard any indications that there would be any. Most Unity releases don't have public betas.

--Eric

22. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

I wonder if they might've been waiting for the new release of the new version of Mac OSX which came out yesterday, to be able to check for and fix obvious bugs/support?

23. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

No, the new version of OS X has been available to developers for months or more; there wouldn't be any particular reason for any devs to wait on the public release.

--Eric

24. JetRacconST

JetRacconST

Hello, I can use the SpriteRenderer in 3DMesh. or how you could use a sprite in a 3d Model as texture.

Tanks

25. Seth-McCumber

Seth-McCumber

Does anyone know how difficult it would be to port a indev game with no animation to 4.3?

26. mojtaba64

mojtaba64

Sometimes sprites can't fit in one texture or we want to manage how many atlas do we need etc, Unity should let us see the atlases.
    I made an empty scene and added two sprits with the same "Packing Tag" (with same format, size, etc) but Stats shows that I have 2 Draw Calls. Why?!

27. Eric5h5

Eric5h5

You can see atlases in the Sprite Packer window.

If you have the sprites in the Resources folder, they won't be put into an atlas.

--Eric

28. mojtaba64

mojtaba64

Thanks, I saw the atlases and they packed correctly, but still get 2 Draw Calls, And I have no sprite is Resources folder.

29. atmuc

atmuc

particle system cannot collide 2d colliders. when will it be ready to use with 2d system?

30. deathtour

deathtour

How to create Sprite from script and add new sprite in Texture2D ? Editor mode

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  31. gary_bbgames

gary_bbgames

Hey guys, my game has 32 x 32 pixel tiles. The sprite atlas Unity Pro is creating is 256 x 256. You would think 8 by 8 sprites right? It's actually doing 7 x 7 and stretching them. This makes them look muddy in the game. Is it possible to specify the atlas size, or to tell Unity not to stretch them?

32. Kurius

Kurius

33. Fishypants

Fishypants

The day Unity allows you to import a swf file and use it as a texture, is the day I will cry out loud and hug my computer for about 3 days straight. Don't want any fancy features other than to be able to play, stop, and rewind the swf file, and either apply it as a texture or use it through the GUI. I know I'm over simplifying things a bit, but literally if this feature was in there that would make the world of difference as far as GUI's go.

I don't want UniSWF, or any of the other plugins out there, they are too bulky and bloated. Simple vector rasterizer and render it as a texture please? . . . Please??? I can send you guys beer! :D LOTS of beer . . .

34. Hatsch

Hatsch

I just did, what he said ;)

Look here: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/217408-TexturePacker-to-Sprite
    If you create your atlas with TexturePacker you can easily import it.

35. Andrea.Caco

Andrea.Caco

What formats of 2d animations does unity support?
    I'd like to work with Anime Studio Pro.