Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

[WIP] Gunjitsu

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by BFGames, Aug 28, 2013.

1. BFGames

BFGames

WIP MCTS bots for the game:

Work in progress MCTS bots, that works both offline or online as part of multiplayer sessions.

A little update:

WIP level, with placeholder GUI and texture less character :D

Old stuff:

As the game has changed so much, and a lot have happend since i last wrote i will clean this post and start adding new things.

If you are in doubt then let me tell you what the game is:
    Gunjitsu is a crazy platform shooter game. It is set in a fully destructible 3D environment inspired by 2D pixel art.

It is an online multiplayer game with character progression, competitive ranking, weapon customization and so on.

More info coming soon... for now.... a picture! Weeeehuuu!

And a year old video:

Last edited: May 1, 2015
  2. BFGames

BFGames

One of the more difficult things to get right in a physic based game like this is movement,
    and especially grounded movement in a destroyed voxel environment. This is something
    we tested a lot.

At the moment i am re-writing all player movement, and here is a test i did today. It is getting there :)

Dont mind the animations and shooting, its being changed at the moment that is why it is F***ed :cool::

3. imaginaryhuman

imaginaryhuman

Neat. In my opinion it'd be better without the ropes.

4. BFGames

BFGames

Hehe, trust me when you play it, the grabbling gun is actually the most fun part of the game!

5. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Looks very similar to Liero from the good old dos age.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfzK5sK2Asc

Was a very fun game, and playing online in your game will probably be just as much fun. (Seriously, has grappling hook and a ton of weapons, including the banana grenade thing. {grenades that blow up in to smaller grenades}) Hope your game is just as fun! It looks great.

6. BFGames

BFGames

Actually Liero and Soldat is our biggest inspiration sources! We played those, and came up with the idea based on them.
    We want to make something similar but take it into the modern age of computer gaming with new possibilities.

We got a really well designed weapon system so we can very quickly create new weapons. We got around 15 at the moment i think.
    We got crazy stuff like a physics gun that can grab voxels or players around it and throw them at others.

Edit: And we already got a grenade that blow into smaller grenades which explodes, and a version where the smaller grenades will hang in the air waiting for a target to get close and then follow them ;)

7. BFGames

BFGames

Small update:

Finished account creation!

Integrated the account system with Unity (Client), Photon (Server) and our Database! With proper password encryption and a working system for game key codes (Beta and Release code)

Here is a screenshot from in game (standard GUI, nothing have been designed yet):

$usercreation.png

8. hippocoder

hippocoder

Digital Ape

Nice!

Why did you pick photon server over photon cloud?

9. DDP

DDP

That game looks great!

Side note: If there's a way to play without having to create an account, you will end up with WWAAAYYY much more users :)

10. georetro

georetro

This looks really cool ;) I would definitely buy it! Will you be offering any pre-order packages or limited edition packages? If so what would be included in them? Thanks, keep up the good work xD

11. BFGames

BFGames

Actually we got a pretty strange setup, we use both photon cloud and photon.
    Photon is mostly used for database security and extra cheating measures, which we cannot perform with the cloud service.
    It also handles all friend list things and so on.

We looked into other solutions but a voxel world like ours with sometimes more than 100 million voxels in a level requires some memory and CPU power to handle, so going for a full authentic server solution would be to expensive for a indie company like ours.

Won't go more in detail than that ;)

12. BFGames

BFGames

We should have gone the F2P way then, which we did discuss! A lot!
    However servers for possible 1000s of online users at all times cost quite some money, and we are not experienced enough in the market yet to make sure we will make money on a F2P game. I worked at a company going the F2P road, and trust me it is not easy to do right!

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013
  13. BFGames

BFGames

We will start a kickstarter with-in 1 to 2 months. But we want the game to almost be at a beta stage so we know that we can deliver with the amount we get.

There will be pre-order, and beta access via kickstarter. And we will also like to give people the possibility to buy packages with like 2-8 game keys for a cheap price so you can play with your friends, because that is where the game really shines.

14. BFGames

BFGames

First new profile test is complete with success, it retrieves all the needed player information from our DB via the Photon Server.

The profile will have a lot more info, the GUI will be designed (this is standard NGUI) and all the new models for our new style is being added at the moment.

But the technical groundwork is there now!

$Profile.png

15. Caliber-Mengsk

Caliber-Mengsk

Just so you know, if you need a tester at all, I loved liero and this would be amazing to play. :D So.... if you ever need a play tester ;D

16. BFGames

BFGames

We might! I will let you know when we get close to BETA! ;)

17. BFGames

BFGames

Went a bit overkill on our most simple weapon when testing our new visual system for bullets/weapons :D
    The system makes it easy for the designers to create trails, timed particle trails, fire animation and explosions for all weapons.

Now i just need our designers to make something that looks good :roll:

$Overkill.png

18. suctioncup

suctioncup

That looks awesome!

How do the voxels work? Are the environment pieces just separated into hundreds of little blocks? (With some optimisation, of course).

19. suctioncup

suctioncup

That looks awesome!

How do the voxels work? Are the environment pieces just separated into hundreds of little blocks? (With some optimisation, of course).

20. BFGames

BFGames

We created a voxel engine inside Unity from scratch. So it works much like Minecraft to give a popular example, and we would be able to create games like Minecraft with it. Each voxel is defined as a type and can then hold a color or part of a texture. Every-time the world is altered we re-draw the mesh and colliders for that part of the level. We had levels running with 100s millions of voxels without any problem, and it is extremely optimized. Else it would not be able to handle 6 people smashing the world at the same time ;)

We also created a level editor which makes it possible to create our levels from simple pictures (PNG/JPEG/PSD) with a lot of options for our designers. Works like a charm.

PS. We can run a large level at less than 50 draw calls.

21. suctioncup

suctioncup

Oh, well done! Seems like you've got it all figured out.

22. BFGames

BFGames

Well it is a serious production, aiming for steam and possible some consoles. ;)

23. chelnok

chelnok

This looks like a lot of fun! Having a fully destructible voxel universe, one new game mode came to my mind at once: total destroy enemy island ..or world. And dont forget to add two player split screen mode :)

No way! Ninja rope is a must :) Jetpack ..or boots + ninja rope = insane.

24. BFGames

BFGames

Thanks,

I actually like the game mode idea, will bring it to the design team. We got a lot of voxel based game modes in the air at the moment.

A split screen option would also be very nice if we get it to consoles! However it is a bit down the road as we need to finish the PC/MAC/LINUX versions first ;)

25. BFGames

BFGames

So we should have big updates coming with in 1-2 weeks, with new gameplay videos, improved levels, new game story, concept art and more. We are fine tuning things at the moment.

But let me show the optimization of the animation controller now hehe :D

$animationFlow.png

26. BFGames

BFGames

So i updated the thread. Over the next month a lot of new updates will come out! Stay tuned!

27. BFGames

BFGames

Just cleared the thread to make it ready for a big update next week ;)

28. BFGames

BFGames

Hey guys! Finally a small update. I just wrote a bit of our level workflow with our voxel game engine and Gunjitsu.
    Read it in the begging of this thread or at our newly opened: Forum

Here is the pictures:

$IngameLevels.png
    - Ingame level screenshot

$GunjitsuLevelLayers.gif
    - Ingame buildings shown in layers

29. BFGames

BFGames

Finally we got new stuff to show! Lets start with an sneak peak video:

And we just launched the game on steam greenlight and it is going well. So if you like what you see go upvote it here:
    Gunjitsu Steam Greenlight

And a few new screenshots:

Last edited: Dec 4, 2013
  30. Kellyrayj

Kellyrayj

This looks super fun.

One suggestion, I feel like your background is too similar to your foreground. I can't really tell what is happening in your screenshots because there isn't enough contrast between your background and the level.

31. BFGames

BFGames

Thanks!

The background is a placeholder background. We tried like 10 different things, but was never really satisfied. So it will change completely at some point :)

32. BFGames

BFGames

And here are some concept art for the new characters we are working on at the moment.

33. BFGames

BFGames

Just created a gif showing us destroying the voxel world :D

After exams we will start working on a simple demo you guys can try, with a new 1v1 map and a few fun weapons :)

34. BFGames

BFGames

Preparing for our AI horde mode. In the horde mode you will be fighting a
    constant flow of flying Drones. Either alone or with friends.

So i started implementing A* pathfinding for it.

It is updating the map as you alter the voxel world by shooting at it.

The system is build on top of my asset store system, Simply A*.

35. BFGames

BFGames

Video showing our new voxel physics system and some grappling!

[video=youtube_share;_h0uslaxW0w]http://youtu.be/_h0uslaxW0w

36. Braza

Braza

HI, nicely done so far. I`m fan of both Liero and Soldat, so this one is in he wishlist!

What is good:
    - overall rope, model and terrain physics. It feels right.

I know it is like Beta stage and feel free to ignore me, but IMO there are areas for improvements like:
    - you`d better use less perspective. I appreciate that close to 3d refreshing look, but "terrain platforms" going deep closer to the sides of the screen confuses me in the meaning that I`m not sure what the real distance is from character to that particular ledge and if the rope length would be enough.
    - visuals are too simple (I know its Beta). Style of concepts is rather proportional and realistic. It might be a challenge with voxels, as they probably tend to look cartoonish. The thing is that it needs to be consistent: the quality and style of what you present as level and other stuff
    - background could be less contrast and probably fogged with some color that fits your style like http://deusex.wikia.com/wiki/Detroit the upper right pic

37. BFGames

BFGames

As the game has changed so much, and a lot have happend since i last wrote i will clean this post and start adding new things.

If you are in doubt then let me tell you what the game is:
    Gunjitsu is a crazy platform shooter game. It is set in a fully destructible 3D environment inspired by 2D pixel art.

It is an online multiplayer game with character progression, competitive ranking, weapon customization and so on.

More info coming soon... for now.... a picture! Weeeehuuu!

38. BFGames

BFGames

Found a bug with our voxel blood when being shot.
    As you can see then the blood stays in the world as part of the voxel level. Mountains of blood :rolleyes::D

39. BFGames

BFGames

A little update:

WIP level, with placeholder GUI and texture less character :D

40. BFGames

BFGames

Work in progress MCTS bots, that works both offline or online as part of multiplayer sessions.

41. BFGames

BFGames

Fun little gimmick...