Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Requiem Z - We All Fall Down

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by SteveJ, Aug 27, 2013.

1. SteveJ

SteveJ

So I’ve been working on this new little game, and I figured it was time to share some details about it.

Requiem Z is a zombie-apocalypse-themed, turn-based, strategy game. You play the role of Zachary, a survivor who has emerged from a bomb-shelter a few months into the disaster, who must now try and survive in a zombie-dominated environment.

The game plays out a little like a really big boardgame where you – as the player – must guide Zachary around the map, manuvering for advantage in combat and seeking out supplies in abandoned houses. Other survivors also wander around the map, sometimes killing off zombies and sometimes looting houses that would otherwise have provided Zachary with food. The whole thing is quite slow and methodical, and I really like that. The player’s goal is simply to survive as long as they can, accumulating the highest score possible.

The game plays equally well with touch, mouse, or controller, so I’ll hopefully release on as many platforms as I can manage. iOS will be first up as always.

It’s coming along pretty quickly, so I don’t expect development to take too much longer. Expect to see Requiem Z available some time before the end of the year.

And sure, I considered the fact that it’s a zombie game and that seems to almost be cliche these days, but really, I haven’t played that many zombie games that I actually enjoyed. I think there’s still some room out there for games in this genre that are actually… you know, “good”. With some luck, maybe Requiem Z will be one of those…

2. SteveJ

SteveJ

Just a quick update with a very-close-to-final-look screenshot.

I'll have some gameplay footage up sometime this week, and then the game is pretty much ready to go. Just working on some optimisation at the moment.

3. Rafael-Barbosa

Rafael-Barbosa

Looking good! Keep it up bro! By the way, I really liked your GUI.

4. alexfeature

alexfeature

This looks pretty great. I like the idea and I too think that there is still a lot of room for good zombie games.

Keep it up!

5. SteveJ

SteveJ

6am. The sun is up. The corpses of last night's zombies litter the ground.

Getting around to that gameplay footage by the weekend.

$rz_ss3.jpg

6. SteveJ

SteveJ

So I finally managed to find some time to record a bit of gameplay footage for Requiem Z! It’s admittedly not the best quality video footage, but it should give you all the basic idea.

Now remember, I did mention previously that it’s a slow and steady type of game. Keep this in mind when watching; Requiem Z is not a spectator sport. You really need to play it for yourself to fully appreciate it :)

[video=youtube;NwhExFIAvSQ]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwhExFIAvSQ&hd=1​

7. primus88

primus88

The game is very interesting and the graphics and sounds are good.
    The only thing that would be, less fun, is the turn based factor. IMHO, zombie apocalypse is scary because of unexpected situations for which you cannot plan ahead. This is usually the case for real time games and less for turn based ones.

I'm saying that maybe it would've been more immersive if it was real time.

Well done!

8. Foestar

Foestar

Pretty cool, it's been a long time since I've played a style of game like this. Looks good!

9. SteveJ

SteveJ

Thanks for the feedback guys. Appreciated :)

10. JamesLeeNZ

JamesLeeNZ

Cool idea.

Would like to see a pc version that is more gridded like xcom enemy unknown. Think a mix of your idea and that style game play could be quite fun.

11. SteveJ

SteveJ

Just a quick update-

Requiem Z is now available on Windows Phone and Windows Store. Very exciting stuff :)

iOS version isn't too far away.

12. SteveJ

SteveJ

13. Myhijim

Myhijim

Bought it, get's to loading 3/5 worlds, crashes.

May just be my Ipod, I was excited to play it :( Even if it can't be fixed I don't mind, always good to support an indie anyway!

14. SteveJ

SteveJ

Really?! You've tried the old "turn it off and on again"?

I've never seen this build crash, though I didn't test on any iPod devices - only iPads and iPhones.

15. SteveJ

SteveJ

Also - which generation iPod are you running on?

16. Myhijim

Myhijim

4th generation Ipod, with iOS 5.1.1.

Tried turning it off and on, turned wifi off.

Could it be due to my iOS version?

17. SteveJ

SteveJ

No - I would guess memory maybe. Not sure where that iPod falls in the scheme of things (spec-wise). I'll have to look into it a bit.

Really sorry that it's not working for you :(

18. Myhijim

Myhijim

Tis fine, wasn't expecting it to even let me download. I'd probably put that safeguard on sometime soon or you will suffer a few refunds. Keep at it, it looks great, and well, I love zombie games anyway!

19. SteveJ

SteveJ

I've just updated the App Store description to specify "iPhone 4S/iPod 5G/iPad2 or above". Looks like the iPod 4G is roughly equivalent to the iPhone 4? Lowest device I could test on was an iPhone 4S unfortunately.

EDIT: Actually, looks like the iPod 4th Gen has 256MB of RAM vs. the 512MB in iPhone 4 and above. Best guess is that that's the problem.

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  20. Myhijim

Myhijim

If you ever release a a PC port, even a crummy one, just let me know ;)

21. SteveJ

SteveJ

I'm working on getting it onto the Mac App Store this week, and - if you happen to have Windows 8 - you can already get it on the Windows Store.

22. SteveJ

SteveJ

Even better, how about I just do a Windows build for you and link you a ZIP file? Seeing as you paid for it already :)

23. Myhijim

Myhijim

That'd be great thanks! Is there any way to "gift" itunes money to devs, because I have about $20 that is going to go wasted If I can't offload it... If you are catching my drift

24. SteveJ

SteveJ

Hmm... no idea on that one.

I'm converting the project across at the moment to do a Windows build. I'll PM you a link to download it once it's ready.

25. SteveJ

SteveJ

Hey all... Requiem Z is free on iOS for the next 24 hours, so if you're keen to try out some Unity-made, zombie-shooting, grid-based-walking, apocalypse-surviving, blah blah blah, make sure you grab a copy!

http://itunes.com/apps/stevejarman/requiemz

26. SteveJ

SteveJ