Search Unity

1. Megacity Metro Demo now available. Download now.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Unity support for visionOS is now available. Learn more in our blog post.
    Dismiss Notice

Need help with custom shader and receive shadow

Discussion in 'Shaders' started by ensiferum888, Aug 22, 2013.

1. ensiferum888

ensiferum888

Hi everyone,

It's been a while since I needed help, I guess I'm getting better but I'm facing an issue I just can't fix. I find shader language to be very hard to read and understand. I managed to mix an outline shader with the ATS Snow Suite snow bumped shader. So now I have dynamic snow on my buildings and if I select them I can toggle an outline around them.

The issue I have is that the shader does not receive shadow. the object casts shadows and it looks great but if there's a tree nearby the shadow of the tree just cuts on the ground and does not appear on my building. I looked online for possible solutions, changing the fallback, using other pragma directives, nothing works. It either doesn't change anything or turns everything to pink.

Can anyone take a look at my shader code and tell me if it's possible and what to add in order to receive shadows? http://pastebin.com/PfKCGvZR

Bonus Question When I select a building I call a function on it that does:

Code (csharp):
    1. highlight.a = 1f;
    2. MeshRenderer.material.SetColor("_OutlineColor", highLight);
    Doing this creates a new instance of the material which is fine. When I deselect, is there any way I can revert the material to the original and keep batching intact instead of keeping an (instance) of the same material?

Let me know if it's not clear.

Thank you!