Search Unity

Freezeme - 3d Platformer!

Discussion in 'Works In Progress - Archive' started by Misscelan, Aug 17, 2013.

1. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great.
    Will it be some tutorials at some first levels to tell people they can freeze moving platforms ?
    Again i find the red aerial platform looking lot more like danger stuuf (lava, hot etc ...) more than other colors for secure platforms :D
    You should keep red color for dangerous platforms, when they turn like some green color or blue , to some red color that would make damage if you walk on them ? My personnal taste.
    I find trange looking character with glasses , perhaps make wearing objects as customization part , or items you collect/find/win and can wear throught game ?
    backpack of charcater is grey, not very noticeable, could have some more color (nintendo style) ? will backpack have some functions ? i mean like Mario Sunshine ? with some bonus would deploy wings to fly or plane, or would allow super verticla jump with some special bonus or near some places ... or any other power up ?

Bridge floor texture is photo texture, not enought toon compared to moutains or grass textures that are more nintendo cartoon style.

2. Misscelan

Misscelan

Hello everybody :),

Just got alpha 0.31 out. You can download it here:
    http://www.indiedb.com/games/freezeme/downloads/freezeme-alpha-demo-v-031

Also a new teaser trailer here:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lr49_PzHlaI

You can leave feedback and suggestions here:
    http://www.rainynightcreations.com/forum/

Please note this will be the latest open alpha and after this I’ll move to private alpha testing.*
    Hope you’ll enjoy it!

Build notes
    ================================================
    -Numerous adjustments on the R's control and movements
    -New camera modes: auto/semi/manual
    -New camera collisions
    -New Pause menus
    -Numerous foe IA adjustments
    -Cinematic when Piggleton runs away (also a Exclamation sign added on top)
    -New level scenery
    -New Collectable golden cube
    -Depth of field + Motion blur
    -New dialogue windows
    -New "Golden Cube" collected cinematic
    -Controls set by default to work with the Xbox 360 controller
    -R's new look (glasses and sneakers!)
    -Multiple adjustments on the Load Mission Screen
    -And bugs fixed everywhere :)

@zengarden Thanks so much for your feedback once again! I agree with most of them, and they should be implemented in the upcoming builds

3. SuperVoximus

SuperVoximus

Wow, mind blown, your game makes my games look terrible lol :p Good job and good luck :D

4. zenGarden

zenGarden

I tried the demo and it's just gorgeous.

Here are the first things i noticed playing a short time :

-All trees have transparent foliage, whatever the character is or looks at. It is some alpha transparency bug ?
    - Flags on the wind becomes also transparent or not very visible ? It is related to some Depth Of Field shader ? I had same problem using some DOF shader from s plugin for Unity free to have these effects.
    - Character is still not great to control, not pressing any key , the characters continue too run in it's direction alone, and too much distance.
    This is not simulation game, make like Mario style full control, no deceleration physics, it's not a car but a character : when you run in real life you can stop directly to run at any time.
    - Also running in a slope of 45° or more the character goes more slowly, again i would like like characters can do in real life adapat on some marathon , run at same speed on slopes by just adapting their speed.
    - Some option to de activate Motion Blurr during the game and just keep some Bloom instead. Like other people Bloom can make headaches and make people sick after some time of playing , should be optionnal.
    - Character can still push some objects when runnign in front of them, i owuld like character to glide around and stop pushing movement, like on trees for example. Why not make only some objects or walls "pushable" ?
    - CHaracter is slow when running , should run faster . Even the animation make it looking like running, but the distance it makes is lot more short than what suggest run animation

5. zenGarden

zenGarden

- The herat you win in the Wooden house, it is in treasure, but not very visible it's hard to figure what object it is , and the treasure chest or box is already open. Once you gain the heart it the effect is strange looks more like laser red lines than some cartoon effect.
    - Heart slots around character icon portrait should be bigger, more cartoon, than small, why not replacing character faces icon by hearts icons instead ?
    As character face icon have no real use for gameplay, like Mario 64 game, no need of character icon.

6. zenGarden

zenGarden

- I got the first cube mission, without freezing the jumping ennemy, just jumping above is head and re jumping directly. It is more easy without freezing him, caus when freezing him, it's hard to jump on top of it, you should put another box crate in front of him to make more easy to jump on top of it.
    - You go lot more faster in the level jumping than running (character should run faster)
    - In main menu when want to quit the dialog box use a small font, and the choice is some hand icon, would be better to keep cartoon style with bigger dialog box with rounded corners and colors and some symbol instead of hand like photograph obejct or something else.
    - In medium graphic mode, there is less alpha glitches caus no Depth Of Field , i have FXLAbs plugin and had same problems.
    - Get totally out the deceleration , i was just on a moving platform, than leaved joystick, and decelration just made the character falling : arrrghhhhrrrhrhhrhr hhhhghghhgg
    - the red, green , yellow moving platforms on wall, why are they moving at same time ? you must jump quickly to not loose any of them. Another problem, they are too high, one character jump is hard to jump easy on the red platform and others, make them lower, or make character jump highter.
    It is becoming frustrating and become more a precision game part than fun and fast game part.
    - After the red, green,yellow, there is the grey falling platforms, they fall too quickly. It's even impossible in one platform when you reach it to reverse your character direction than jump on others , frustating once gain.

Last edited: Apr 25, 2014
  7. Misscelan

Misscelan

As usual thanks so much for taking the time to play and provide this amazing feedback!

-All trees have transparent foliage, whatever the character is or looks at. It is some alpha transparency bug
    - Flags on the wind becomes also transparent or not very visible ? It is related to some Depth Of Field shader ? I had same problem using some DOF shader from s plugin for Unity free to have these effects.

Yep and yep, the trees and the flags are not supposed to be transparent, this seem to be an issue with some specific graphic cards don't know why yet, also the DOF effect makes them look worse.
    I'll get that fixed on the next build.

- Character is still not great to control, not pressing any key , the characters continue too run in it's direction alone, and too much distance.
    This is not simulation game, make like Mario style full control, no deceleration physics, it's not a car but a character : when you run in real life you can stop directly to run at any time.
    - Also running in a slope of 45° or more the character goes more slowly, again i would like like characters can do in real life adapat on some marathon , run at same speed on slopes by just adapting their speed.
    - Character can still push some objects when runnign in front of them, i owuld like character to glide around and stop pushing movement, like on trees for example. Why not make only some objects or walls "pushable" ?

I'm gonna add all these 3 points together since they all talk about the character movement.
    I agree with you, this is not a real simulation and doesn’t mean to be. I still think that the user needs to receive some sort of "forcefeedback" otherwise they will have the feeling of controlling a plane rather than a human. At the moment is really minimal, do you still find that frustrating?

As for the pushing, as I mentioned before, I could decrease the triggering angle a bit more (if I get more people complaining about that), but I want the output of the actions to be precitable for the player, if the player runs directly against a wall and sticks to it, it should be the same whenever the player runs against an static object. Giving different reaction on similar situations with no feedback provided to the player goes against my dogma :p, as I think it creates confusion and frustation and they won’t know why and when that action is triggered. Why would you run against a tree and not expect any output :p?

And about the moving when not pressing anything, is that happening on a flat surface? or are you in a slope or something? Because if I stop in a flat surface it stops immediately. Woud you be able to record a video or a gif?

- Some option to de activate Motion Blurr during the game and just keep some Bloom instead. Like other people Bloom can make headaches and make people sick after some time of playing , should be optional.

This is already in the pipeline, unfortunately I could not wait more to release the demo because this build was going to be submitted to a contest. It will be implemented in the next build.

- CHaracter is slow when running , should run faster . Even the animation make it looking like running, but the distance it makes is lot more short than what suggest run animation

I was playing with the running animation for 1 week and probably my mind just adjusted to that and never paid more attention, I will give this a try and see how it looks.

- The herat you win in the Wooden house, it is in treasure, but not very visible it's hard to figure what object it is , and the treasure chest or box is already open. Once you gain the heart it the effect is strange looks more like laser red lines than some cartoon effect.

You don't see that is a heart? or you think the player won't know what happens when she collects it?

- Heart slots around character icon portrait should be bigger, more cartoon, than small, why not replacing character faces icon by hearts icons instead ?
    As character face icon have no real use for gameplay, like Mario 64 game, no need of character icon.

You might be into something there, probably I can get rid of the face and make the hearts bigger, will try and see how it looks.

- I got the first cube mission, without freezing the jumping ennemy, just jumping above is head and re jumping directly. It is more easy without freezing him, caus when freezing him, it's hard to jump on top of it, you should put another box crate in front of him to make more easy to jump on top of it.

Nice feedback, I guess I can do that.

- You go lot more faster in the level jumping than running (character should run faster)
    I usually run though the levels jumping and the pressing the sliding button and then jumping :). If I compare with some other games the velocity is more or less similar, the problem are the vast open levels. I need to still populate them a bit more and also I'm gonna implement some teleportation portals in some points so you dont have to run all your way to the next mission.

- In main menu when want to quit the dialog box use a small font, and the choice is some hand icon, would be better to keep cartoon style with bigger dialog box with rounded corners and colors and some symbol instead of hand like photograph obejct or something else.

Yep, that was also meant to be fixed, but no time on this release, also the Exit dialogue on the pause menu doesn't look ok.

- In medium graphic mode, there is less alpha glitches caus no Depth Of Field , i have FXLAbs plugin and had same problems.
    - Get totally out the deceleration , i was just on a moving platform, than leaved joystick, and decelration just made the character falling : arrrghhhhrrrhrhhrhr hhhhghghhgg

These were answered before.

- the red, green , yellow moving platforms on wall, why are they moving at same time ? you must jump quickly to not loose any of them. Another problem, they are too high, one character jump is hard to jump easy on the red platform and others, make them lower, or make character jump highter.
    It is becoming frustrating and become more a precision game part than fun and fast game part.

Yep, should should take a picture to freeze them and then you will have all the time in the world :). Also will make the lower platform higher.

- After the red, green,yellow, there is the grey falling platforms, they fall too quickly. It's even impossible in one platform when you reach it to reverse your character direction than jump on others , frustating once gain.
    I will implement some static platforms in the middle so the player can rest, but the idea was to make one challenging and to a certain point frustating :p

Btw, if you send me your name by PM I would be pleased to include your name under the Special Thanks in the credits!

Thanks again!

8. Misscelan

Misscelan

one thing, that I just thought about, about the player not stopping, do you have the same problem if you use the keyboard? Might be the sensibility of your joystick is too high?

9. Misscelan

Misscelan

Hello everybody,

Quick video to show you the things I´ve been working on recently.
    -New running animation
    -Animation blending based on analog input
    -Head-look-at controller improved

Hope you like it :)

10. zenGarden

zenGarden

Ok i didn't understood taking picture is not only for specific occasions, you should put that tips on some text panel at bottom of some platforms tutorials.

I tested with joystick, i tested some more today, seems okay.

No too small, and camera is not best , would be best like Zelda games or make the heart as big as character and in top of chest. The effect is still strange , like red rays , i would change that to a more global screen effect.

Perhaps tag some surfaces and propose some "A" button icon showing, indicating if the player pushes "A" it will push ?
    Context sensitive you know ? (conkers bad day ;) )

Today testing :
    -I got another error, if you run into the foutain of level begin , run on it's water and run everywhere in it, the character get stuck and life is decreased like it takes damage.
    -On yellow platforms around tower, you should keep a camera along a spline and not allow free camera when you are near the tower zone.
    - Is there a joystick button to recenter camera ?
    - Level with falling grey platforms is impossible, no time to freeze anything as you are already on grey platforms.
    -Quest with blue cubes and gaz, i didn't find out if i should jump on blue cube in the wood cage or what to do ?
    - Physics are strange when running anywhere and on walls or thin spaces and character sometimes makes big jumps or go crazy on physics.

For later design polishing :
    I would like character hair color/texture options , i really don't like full black and full black don't allow any color or texture details, why not green or blue fun colors or textures ? Same for googles , why not green color ,red or blue colors or textures choices , more fantasy.
    T shirt with draws or fun stuff in it also.Bring more fun to your character , less school look.

Amazing the level of quality and content you have reached, keep improving.

Last edited: May 11, 2014
  11. Misscelan

Misscelan

It's been a while since I posted here.
    Below are some pictures and gifs of a few of the things that I've been working on lately. Hope you like them :)

12. der_r

der_r

I love this!

13. Misscelan

Misscelan

ExDeaDguY likes this.
  14. zenGarden

zenGarden

Great levels work.
    Would need more gameplay mechanics, only jumping and freezing seems limited. What about special power ups giving new abilities ? Some new gameplay like flying throught checkpoints riding a bird for example, underwater gameplay or submarine exploration phases ?
    The collecting feature that made Banjoe Kazooie and some other games success is missing a lot here. We run throught empty level with only goal to find the golden cube.
    Adding collectable stuff to gain stuff or bonus would help a lot to have players take pleasure exploring the level otherwise , they will just race to the goal without exploring anything.
    Puzzles would also make better experience , more diversity than just rushing to the goal.

Keep the good work.

Last edited: Aug 4, 2014
  15. zenGarden

zenGarden

The sand texture would need a rework , texture is too noisy generated and it's too orange , the pattern shadowing is too marked also.

Some new gameplay demo planned ?

keep the good work.

16. Pawl

Pawl

Hi Misscelan! I've been following FreezeMe for a while and I would love to download the latest build and help test/give you feedback. =) I'm currently developing a 3D platformer in Unity as well and would be willing to discuss implementation details.

Could you upload a new build or send me a link to one? I don't see it on indiedb currently. Thanks!! Paul

17. Misscelan

Misscelan

It´s been a while since I posted something here, but the project is still in the making and I have just posted a video with new updates. Comments, suggestions and criticism are all welcome :)

Thank you!

@zenGarden As usual thanks for the feedback, I´ve been very busy lately and didn´t have the time to drop by and say anything. Most of it was considered at the time I read it :) And yep I wish the game had millions of levels but this is mostly a 1 man band :p, so takes time to put things together. In any case the final game will have about 20h with very different gameplay situations and puzzles.

@Pawl Glad to hear I have a follower :) I appreciate your help, but I have a massive list of thing in the TODO list, once I clear ithat out I will be ok with distributing it around and gather more feedback. And btw, Pio looks gorgeous!

18. zenGarden

zenGarden

Let's start with critics, because you already know all great points of your game ;)
    - Hair color black is not good : You can't see shadows or any hair specular effect, or no hair texture , perhaps you should change it to some red color more vibrant
    - Character running animation is too fast (and seems not enought fluid or it's me?) , the distance covered is too chosrt compared to the speed of the animation
    - particle effects on surface walk are over exagerated and are during too long, they should be more subtile

New freeze mode is really great, the FPS view was complicated and was breaking gameplay.
    New font and dialog boxes are lot more clear and really good, perhaps have font size a bit bigger.
    The snow level is great, perhaps you shoul use some subtle snow texture instead of full color.

Are you using Unity Pro or Free ?

Keep up the great work.

19. Misscelan

Misscelan

As usual thanks for the detailed feedback zenGarden!
    -The particles effects when walking has been pointed out by some other people, that will go right away to the todo list :)
    -The hair goes red when she is saiyan :p, in the video you cannot see the details, but in game you can see way more, also as I mentioned before she is based on my girlfriend, dont wanna make many changes and sleep on the sofa :p
    -Regarding the running speed, so far people like it, if someone else mentions the same issue, then will look into it.

And yep, I am using PRO-

20. zenGarden

zenGarden

The saiyan effect will be only visible some times ,while the black hair will be showed main time of the game. With black, there is no texture visible, no hair effect, from a 3D art perspective and a platformer colorfull game, the black hair is not the best color and just black as shadows in the game.
    It's not a game you make for your girlfriend but for the players, but it's your game so do as you want :rolleyes:

The running animation is too fast, and not so smooth, the head movement i find it strange, anyway as one man game this is impressive work you have done.

Keep the good work.

Last edited: Dec 27, 2014
  21. DocLogic

DocLogic

Wow, this is like ridiculously impressive. Such a clean looking game! Did you have any framerate issues in previous versions? It seems to be running so smooth.

22. Misscelan

Misscelan

Thanks DocLogic! I usually add stuff and when I come across some performance issues I try to find workarounds until I hit a decent performance

23. Pawl

Pawl

Awesome. I'll be following closely! And thanks for the kind words about Poi. =)

24. Misscelan

Misscelan

New FreezeME video update :) Comments/suggestions/criticism more than welcome!

TheSin likes this.
  25. TheSin

TheSin

Incredible work. Is this a solo effort? If so, even more impressive!

26. Misscelan

Misscelan

Thanks Surinder!, I got some freelancers at the beginning of the project, and also lots of assets from the unity asset store, but yep, I´m on my own :)

By the way, you should release your character controller, get rich and retire :p

27. zenGarden

zenGarden

It's coming along nicely.
    Always that full black hair, not my taste :D
    Would be cool to have some option like Mmo games to choose the hair color of the character.

How many levels and missions will have the game ? As much as some Mario Sunshine ?
    How about futurist , robotic level, or foundry or factory level ?
    Level most part underwater like MArio 64 ?
    Winter level ?

Keep the good work.

28. Pawl

Pawl

Wow, latest vid looks great! Tons of new stuff added. Really picks up at the end too with that level intro cinematic. Are you using iTween/iTweenPath? We recently started implementing cinematic as well via PlayMaker & iTween, but might move towards animating the camera via Unity's legacy animation timeline. iTween just doesn't offer enough control.

Keep it up!

29. Misscelan

Misscelan

New FreezeME video update :) Comments/suggestions/criticism more than welcome!

@zenGarden gonna get you a wig DLC just for you :p
    @Pawl, thanks! For the level intro cinematics I use USequencer, for any other cinematic Quaternion.Slerp :p
    Btw, good luck with greenlight!

30. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yes, or some hidden key changing hair color in game :rolleyes:

About the booklet tutorial , why not displaying the concerned page in the first level ?
    Like when the first NPC is near , just display booklet page in NPC interaction , same when other specific action is needed for the first time display the booklet page.
    But perhaps it's too much more work and not necessary.

It's very polished now, so it's more hard to find constructive criticisim :D

Anyway why not planning to re distribute the first level demo ? we could test the improved gameplay and graphics ?

Keep up the good work, you have a Greenlight winner.
    (I'll make some article on some popular game forum also)

31. Misscelan

Misscelan

Just to quickly post here a couple of big video announcements, hope you like them :)

32. zenGarden

zenGarden

Good news.
    Why kickstarter ? i thaught it was almost finished ?

33. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

I've been seeing this game around elsewhere, didn't even know it was Unity! Nice surprise. :) It looks great, I'll definitely back the Kickstarter when it launches.

34. Misscelan

Misscelan

35. davem250

davem250

Hey Misscelan, just backed your awesome looking game ;) I think there should be way more platform games out there and FreezeMe just is one of those games i wish to see out on the market ;)

36. zenGarden

zenGarden

How many stages the game has today ?
    From the video i only some 3 or 4, making more ones like Mario Sunshine will help as we expect same game lenght.
    Will you hire some people to make 3D stuff and levels with the help of kickstarter ?

It will success as you polished graphics and gameplay a lot.

Last edited: Mar 24, 2015
  37. SullyTheStrange

SullyTheStrange

Backed! Good luck! :)

38. Misscelan

Misscelan

Thanks Davem250 and SullyTheStrange your help is much appreciated!

@zenGarden it has 4 main levels + hub + 6 challenge levels. The size of each main level is 4 sizes a one in Super Mario Sunshine, not the same comparison :p
    Regarding hiring more people, is very unlikely, you can see what the budget breakdown is and how much is planned for the 3d and programming. We need to polish a few models and animations, that´s it. The rest if what we already had accounted for.

39. zenGarden

zenGarden

Yep, but do you understand Mario games is based on lot of different stages and diversity :D
    Each stages are different bringing fresh air, if you propose only 4 main levels it will be really too light and you will understand that when people will review your game.