Search Unity

Is there a way to cast shadows from one layer onto another?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by junglejapes, Aug 16, 2013.

1. junglejapes

junglejapes

I have an object that is casting a shadow but another object will not recieve that shadow unless it is on the same layer. I need this object to receive shadows AND be on a differnt layer.

2. Glockenbeat

Glockenbeat

You could create a script which handles receiving/casting shadows flags on startup.

3. Deleted User

Deleted User

A shadow-casting light can affect multiple layers - they just have to be selected in its culling mask.

4. junglejapes

junglejapes

I have a directional light with everything set to active on the culling mask. In the layer I created (guns) , the shadows wont show up unless I set the objects layer to default.

5. junglejapes

junglejapes

lets say I have a wall on layer 1 that is casting a shadow.
    my gun will only receive the shadow if it is on the same layer as the wall. either layer 1 OR 2. whereas I need them on seperate layers and recieving the same amount of shadows

6. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

I'm having the same issue.

My weapons are in a "Weapons" layer, my world objects are in "default", I have a directional light with it's culling mask set to both "default" and "weapons".

I have two cameras, the main camera to render the world, the weapons camera to render just the weapons so they don't get clipped when walking up to a wall or something.

The main camera is on depth 0 and the weapon camera is set to 1.

This is the typical FPS camera / weapons setup

The realtime shadows only effect objects in their same layer. So, I get realtime shadow on the world objects but not on the weapons, the weapons receive shadows only from themselves.

7. bigzer

bigzer

We're facing exactly the same issue here. Light probes are not helping either.
    This is rather annoying if not horrible.

Anyone found a solution this this yet?

8. Crazy Robot

Crazy Robot

The best solution I found was to use only one camera by putting the weapons under the main camera and remove the weapons camera then make the weapons retract (hide) when getting close to an object. Unfortunately I couldn't get that in on our latest project.

9. bigzer

bigzer

Thanks, this is terrible news. :(
    I still hope to find a viable solution althought I start to think there might be none ><

I've asked PolyVector, he recently released 2 cool shadow packages for unity, if someone could give a good answer it must be him I suppose.
    If you're interested I posted the question here; http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/200024-Shadow-Softener-Official-Thread/page3 .

Last edited: Sep 26, 2013
  10. neroziros

neroziros

Having the same problem :(

11. Leito

Leito

Has there been any progress on this issue?

12. tom1103

tom1103

Hey guys,

I made a tutorial about this and it does work :

I hope I can help some people with this :)

Purpleshine84 likes this.
  13. NateJC

NateJC

I have this same problem. Unfortunately the solution from tom1103 won't work for me since the objects I want to cast shadows are translating and rotating every Update and it's a lot of overhead having duplicates of them. Did anyone ever find an alternate solution to this problem?

14. tom1103

tom1103

Drunken Lizard Games posted an solution, but i can't find it right now. I thought what he did, was using scripts attached to the objects that had to cast to a different layer, but if it takes a lot of processing power, that's my question I haven't tested it yet.

15. NateJC

NateJC

I figured out a workable solution for my case:

1) Make a parent game object that has the collider & rigid body

2) Now add two nested children to it, each with the same Mesh + Mesh Renderer components

3) Name one of them "View" and the other "Shadow Only"

4) For the View object, use these settings:

5) For the Shadow Only object, use these settings:

6) Now apply all physics & animations to the parent object, and everything else should work naturally!

(Thanks to tom1103 for setting me in the right direction!)

Anisoropos likes this.
  16. DevilBlackDeath

DevilBlackDeath

Weendie-Games likes this.
  17. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games

18. BenWilles

BenWilles

Similar problem here. I got two different Layers to use different light angle but I need the objects to cast shadows on objects on the other Layer. Any Idea?

19. Weendie-Games

Weendie-Games