Search Unity

Pyroclastic Explosion [RELEASED] [FREE]

Discussion in 'Assets and Asset Store' started by porglezomp, Aug 13, 2013.

1. porglezomp

porglezomp

Pyroclastic Explosions [FREE]

The Pyroclastic Explosions package contains a material for rendering a beautiful raymarched explosion, a ready-to-run pyroclastic puff prefab that you can simply drag into your scene, and a custom material editor with per-material quality settings.

— Demo (Webplayer) —
    — View on the Asset Store —
    — Asset Store for 3.5.7 —

$Screen Shot 2013-08-04 at 3.55.41 PM.png

Fixes:
    There have been some issues with compiling on Windows. Some simple changes should help the problem. Anyone having further issues should ask here or PM me.

Version 1.2: Now can control alpha, noise size, and noise scroll speed.
    Version 1.3: Now works correctly with prefabs, better editor
    Added version for 3.5.7

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  2. elbows

elbows

Thanks so much for providing this for free :)

3. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Amazing! Thanks for sharing!! But could I ask if you could recompile the scene for Unity 3.5.7 for better compatibility? Also what shader model does this one use? Will it work for mobile? (OpenGL ES 2.0?)

4. sefou

sefou

Cool. Thanks. ;)

5. porglezomp

porglezomp

I'm thinking about recompiling it for 3.5.7, but it will require some heavy modification. I'm currently using #multi_compile and a custom editor so people can have multiple quality levels and settings. Unfortunately, these features aren't even completely supported in Unity 4.0, and to cover all the settings, I'd need... 30 different shaders.

6. porglezomp

porglezomp

So, I've managed to get the scattering off version ported to 3.5.7, with almost no changes. I've made 3 versions of the shader for different quality settings, since multi-compiling doesn't seem to exist at all. The ones with scattering however look a bit... Interesting. They're pure noise.

7. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Awesome, looking forward to it on Asset Store :)

8. im

im

works great with unity3d indie after applying all the changes in discussed in asset store reviews

9. Mikael-Persson

Mikael-Persson

Hello and thanks for sharing!
    I'm trying to get this to work but I am running into issues.
    If your web demo works should there be any reason why this wouldn't work inside of unity?

Right now when I import it I get pink Explosion and PyroclasticPuff spheres, then when I choose the Explosion shader it says:
    No subshaders can run on this graphics card

Your web demo works fine and my computer is fairly recent so I am not sure what's going on. If you or anyone else could point me in the right direction I would be ever so grateful.

10. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

BTW, what does scattering do? From the webplayer version, it seems all scattering does is to make the dark area darker.

Also, still looking forward to the Unity 3.5.7 compatible version on Asset Store! :D

11. Reanimate_L

Reanimate_L

Oh wow pretty cool stuff and thank you for sharing it man, Btw i found a bug with your shader when hdr option is enabled in camera

$pyroclasticBug.JPG

12. Mikael-Persson

Mikael-Persson

Thank you for todays update! Now my issue is gone and everything seems to work fine.

I'm curious, what does the Mesh Filter do? I couldn't see that much of a difference when I switched to other meshes.

13. porglezomp

porglezomp

I'm glad it helped! All the mesh filter does is define the area where you begin the marching from. The sphere should work for most things.

I'm going to have a hard time debugging this, since I don't have Unity Pro myself.

The scattering makes heat behind thin smoke show through somewhat, it just makes there more variation in the dark smoke areas. The dark areas should be darker when scattering is disabled. What do you think, is it acceptable to only offer the non-scattering version for 3.5.7? I'm still having a hard time finding the issue with the shader. (Although I haven't been focusing as much on this, with the Ludum Dare coming up and all.)

14. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Ah, you are absolutely right. I had it mixed up. When Scatter is off it is indeed that there is more contrast.

Also I will be happy to get non-scattering version for 3.5.7. No hurry :)

15. porglezomp

porglezomp

If you think it would be fine to have the first 3.5.7 release not support scattering, then I just need to setup a few #ifdefs and everything should be ready to go.

16. Play_Edu

Play_Edu

Awesome stuff can it work with mobile device.thank for sharing .

17. porglezomp

porglezomp

It might work on mobile devices, but I doubt you'll able to get any reasonable framerate. It's using very heavy calculations, and mobile devices are often fillrate bound.

18. Filippo94

Filippo94

Sorry if I resume this thread, but found only now this gorgeous shader! For me works ok, my PC has some problem with this type of mass-calculations...

Only a hint: I had similar problems with Unity Trial, it was that the values of the color (mainly the alpha channel) needed to be normalized/clamped to One. You don't see differences with non HDR cam because of the automatic clamp of the color, but with HDR on this problems become important.

I think that just clamp Alpha channel should work. I'm not that good with shaders for putting my hands in your's :).

Really good work, and a thousand of Thanks for publishing this free :D.

19. smb02dunnal

smb02dunnal

Hi there, just seen your demo, and I've got to say it's really good, even better looking than mine.

Just reading through your comments, and looking at your code, I think you could make it work on a mobile with a bit of tinkering. :)

Nice work!

20. EvilFox

EvilFox

Cool. Thank you.

$sun.PNG

Can do that the object did not disappear when the camera is inside it?

21. porglezomp

porglezomp

Thanks for the idea of clamping the alpha, I'll try that. I need to get back to this (I've had school, etc. getting in the way.) I finally (derp) figured out how to subscribe to this thread, so now I'll be responding to you guys faster.

I think that'd take a LOT of tinkering. I suppose it's worth a try though!

22. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Hey porglezomp, any news on the 3.5.7 version? :)

23. porglezomp

porglezomp

I still only have the shader with no scattering working, and I can't figure out how to publish different versions for 3.5.7 and 4.1. I need to do that because the 4.1 shader contains some features that don't exist earlier, and I can't get any #defines to fix it.

24. Ace500

Ace500

Hey, porglezomp, I love this effect, and I was intending to use it for an explosion. As it aged, I intended to turn the heat and alpha down as the radius increased, but I can't figure out how to adjust the alpha at all. Is it possible?

25. Vapid-Linus

Vapid-Linus

26. Filippo94

Filippo94

Is there a way to scale the noise? Because if it is too big the noise will be too... well, too noisy :rolleyes:.
    Thanks for your help and for your work :)

27. LaneFox

LaneFox

This is a great tool, but I'm having a hard time actually getting it into a more functional state.

If I make a new explosion in the scene, change up the settings, etc.. and store it as a prefab then it doesn't work at runtime when I spawn the prefab. The only way it works is if I spawn the original prefab in the pack and change the settings at runtime. What am I missing here?

Also, like a above I can't find a way to scale the noise. It doesn't appear to have anything to do with the actual noise map. Rate of change and noise size seems to be buried in the shader somewhere. I dug through and changed just about everything and watched the changes one by one but couldn't find anything that actually made a difference. Any insight into how the shader works, or some more layman type terms in the script comments would help.

Thanks!

28. ivanbolcina

ivanbolcina

Hi.
    I am having trouble with explosion, something to do with Z buffer and billboard trees on terrain. The fireball is always drawn on top of trees, even if trees are clearly in front of fireball and should be blocking view.

BR, ivan

29. porglezomp

porglezomp

Hi guys, sorry for neglecting you all. I've submitted an update that adds control for scale of the noise, the alpha, and the scroll speed on the noise, and fixing a little artifact that shows up if it scales too large. I also clamped alpha into the 0 to 1 range, fixing a bug from quite a while ago.

@I am da bawss, I'm going to submit a version for 3.5.7 later today. No matter what I tried, I couldn't get scattering to work there, sorry.

@LaneFox, I'm looking into making it work better with prefabs. Currently, I have to do some tricks to split them into their own shaders so that they can each render (they each need their own position variable). That should go into the 1.3 update, which I will probably have this week, since it's spring break for me.

Thanks for all of you who were patient, I'm really sorry that I haven't been responding to your requests, I'll try to be better about it now.

30. LaneFox

LaneFox

Hey no sweat! Happy to see you're interested in updating it.

I have plenty of other things to keep busy with and can get back to this when its updated ;)

31. porglezomp

porglezomp

They've accepted version 1.2, it should be up very soon!

Edit: It's up now!

Last edited: Apr 9, 2014
  32. porglezomp

porglezomp

33. I am da bawss

I am da bawss

Just downloaded 3.5.7 version, and OMG, it is beautiful !!
    Works like magic! Even without scattering it looks beautiful.
    Thanks so much for sharing porglezomp! You are now my favorite person! :)

34. porglezomp

porglezomp

@I am da bawss: I'm glad you like it!

The 1.3 version is out now, prefabs work correctly, and there are some editor improvements.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2014
  35. pavlist

pavlist

Hi, this shader is really awesome, I love this effect
    I was trying 3.5.7 version with android devices, problem is that most devices are still able to work only with OpenGL ES 2.0 and this shader require 3.0...
    Do you think you could make simplified version of this shader running with 2.0? I would even buy it :)
    I was trying to do it myself, but I am not so skilled at making shaders, and I don't even know if it is possible...
    Anyway you made great work :)

36. Tony_Beretta

Tony_Beretta

Amazing shader, congratulations! :cool:

Is there a way to orient the noise scrolling?
    Rotate the prefab have no effect and it seems to scroll always down left.
    And it would be useful also the possibility to scale the "puff" on each axis.

Tanks and excuse me for my poor English. :oops:

37. mitchtheriault

mitchtheriault

Thank you!! This is a really cool looking effect for free!

38. Keith Bradner

Keith Bradner

Hey, this is a super rad shader, thanks for making it! I am trying to use it as kind of a plasma type effect and running into some issues. If the object is moving it seems to change more often. Is there any way to disable that?

39. nasos_333

nasos_333

Amazing asset, thanks :)

40. levmckinney

levmckinney

so I'm new to this.:confused: how do I actually make it explode because what I have right is a really really pretty ripely sphere.:)

one more thing when the explosion is moving at high speed the effect is ruined dose any one know how to fix this?

Last edited: Aug 5, 2014
  41. elpuerco63

elpuerco63

Great asset and for free too! Thanks!

I do have a problem though....It works a treat on my Mac and iPad but when porting to Android on my Nexus4 all I see is a pink ball and now fire?

Any ideas?

Thanks

42. jarvinda

jarvinda

Great asset, but I am experiencing the same issue as elpuerco63 where I only see a pink ball when exporting to Android.

I tried including the shader in the Resources folder and also have included it in the GraphicsSetting->Always included shaders, but no luck.

Did anyone get to the bottom of this? Thanks in advance.

43. MarkN

MarkN

Hi there.

This was working perfectly for me, and looked great, but upgrading to Unity 5 has broken it. Now I'm getting the magenta sphere thing.

The following error is reported in the shader:

variable 'o' is used without having been completely intialized d3d9 line 96.

I couldn't see anything obvious wrong, but then I've not worked with shaders. It feels like it's probably something trivial, so if you've got time to look at it that would be very much appreciated.

44. Lasseastrup3

Lasseastrup3

If you get the pink sphere bug in Unity 5, do the following
    Open the Explosion shader, go to line 90 and insert the following line after "v2f o;"
    Code (CSharp):
    1. UNITY_INITIALIZE_OUTPUT(v2f, o);

xammurapi88 likes this.
  45. levpasha

levpasha

Hi porglezomp!

Great job, thx! I have one problem. I can't scale it! I create 2d game, and when i scale sphere to (2,2,2) or smaller - fire is gone away. Code in shader is chineese to me... :( Безымянный.png