Search Unity

How To Correctly Setup DAZ/Poser Character Eye Textures And anyway to fix Clothes?

Discussion in 'Editor & General Support' started by greatUnityGamer, Aug 12, 2013.

1. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

The body textures work.

Just the eyes don't want to work

I tried going to the EYE Surface
    and setting they shader to transparent but it doesn't work. No matter what shader i choose, it covers the eye texture or something.

Or sometimes it makes the eye ball texture like transparent weird which is not whatt i want.
    Anyway here's a pic

Attached Files:

fangge likes this.
  2. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

$Screen shot 2013-08-12 at 9.25.40 AM.png Ok Guys, in case anyone is listeing.
    I got the eyes to work now and the eyelashes. I had to make an INVERSE eyelash MSK texture in GMP, cause the one included had Black background white eyelashes.. So i made an inverse and then did this. so i got that fixed.

But now the eyes, the Brown eye Iris is black and it doesn't show as brown. wonder why
    In Unity i'm trying to do something to fix it but i can't seem to $Screen shot 2013-08-12 at 9.25.40 AM.png

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  3. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

In the last response to my message i attached image but it doesn't appear, why?

4. sam-perisentient

sam-perisentient

Which version character are you using? Genesis 1? IIRC I ran into some issues with the eyes where there was a material that was covering the other materials underneath.

5. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

I dont use Genesis figures. I use V4, M4, V3, etc

But i got the eyes to work now. I was messing around experimenting and finally fixed the eyes.

But not the clothes. I got some clothes to work semi ok so i'm fine with it.

6. SpookyCat

SpookyCat

There is a system on the Asset Store that allows clothing to work with Daz models in Unity

7. greatUnityGamer

greatUnityGamer

Thanks SpookyCat. But i'm just a hobbiest and don't have 100 dollars plus to get that utility.
    It would be cool. wish it was 20 dollars or something.

8. abangyarudo

abangyarudo

hey great what did you do to get the eyes working? I know its been awhile but ran into the same issue but I don't have the clothing issue.

9. G_Trex

G_Trex

I'm having this problem too.

Does anyone have a solution they can post?

10. drewradley

drewradley

Problem with eyes or clothes?

11. G_Trex

G_Trex

The eyes. I'm having the same problem where they just show up as black rather than coloured.

UPDATE :

I actually have a solution, but it feels like a bit of a 'dirty' fix where there should be a better way of doing it.

- I create a transparent png texture in photoshop, then use it to replace the eye surface texture.
    - I then set the main eye texture to Transparent/Diffuse.

I'm very comfortable using unity these days, but I'm not up to the level of being an expert yet. As I said, I feel like there's a simpler or more professional way of doing it.

Last edited: Apr 24, 2014
  12. drewradley

drewradley

That depends on how you get them from DAZ Studio to Unity. Do you use the texture atlas to make one material? If so, there isn't a lot you can do. If not, there is a material that needs to be changed to transparent. Don't forget to change the texture as well. Make sure it has an alpha channel and set the texture to "Alpha is transparent". I don't recall the name of the material - I run it through a third party software that combines similar materials so it's the "Lashes" material for me. It might be "Sclera". Might have to use trial and error to figure out exactly which one it is. You can try this if you use texture atlas as well, but it will probably turn other things transparent as well.

13. Image3d

Image3d

Hi, I am having the same problem, but could not solved with your previous sugestions.

Any idea how to correctly export the eyes from Daz Studio to Unity3D?

Attached Files:

14. drewradley

drewradley

I don't think exporting is the problem as long as you are not using a texture atlas. You could try to merge the opacity and diffuse textures to see if that helps. I prefer to fix them in Unity. Look for a material on the renderer which is all white and take a black texture (just make a black square in Photoshop or whatever if you don't already have one) and set it to "Alpha from Grayscale" then put that on the white material and set it to some transparent shader and it should work. But that only works if you didn't use a texture atlas. If you did, the only suggestion I have is don't use a texture atlas. Find some other way to combine them. I recommend Mesh Baker in the asset store. Gets a DAZ figure down from dozens of drawcalls to two or three. Perhaps you can find on the atlas where the white is coming from and paste the eye texture over it, but that will probably cause other issues if there are other places using that white space.

15. dullman

dullman

I have the same problem since i'm a beginner can someone write me a steps that i must do in order to show eyes (iris) in unity?

16. Ony

Ony

I use Genesis characters in my latest game. Instead of mucking about with the Daz eyes, I just left them out of the export (from Daz) and replaced them in Unity with my own eye orbs I made in 3DSMax. I imported my custom eye objects into Unity and then attached them to the eye bones in the skeleton. That way I have total control over how they look.

If you don't have access to make your own eyes, there's at least one eye asset I know of on the Asset Store that should work.

Here's how my custom eyes look. Each orb has two layers, each with their own material. The first layer is the regular one for the color and specularity (I'm using a Marmoset Skyshop shader for that) and the second layer is a "gloss" layer with a custom reflective glass shader on it.

The "orb" mesh regular layer has a slight indent in the center, which you can see very clearly in this shot where the specular highlights are indented towards the center of the eye. That looks better at a slight distance, not so much in this super close-up.

The secondary "gloss" mesh layer is slightly pulled out from the center (and smoothly rounded), basically the inverse of the inner orb mesh layer. I hope that makes sense. If you look at side view of a real eye, you'll more easily get an idea of what I mean.

As an aside, if anyone has any questions about using Daz Genesis figures in games, just ask. I've released two games now using them. And before anyone asks (because someone always does) yes.... yes, yes, yes, I do in fact have the Daz license to use their models in my games.

Last edited: Jan 24, 2015
  17. dullman

dullman

Thanks for reply although i comes to unity community as programmer with basic skills with 2d art (From rpg maker community) when i didn't find any tutorial for making 2d rpg game i decide to try 3d (especially it easier then 2d art when every cloth must have made for every single pose with ~100 cloth sets in plans and more than 100 actors it will take long time especially that i only can make simplest layout), so must ask few things:
    - how to remove eyes from genesis 2 figure since from what i understand daz3d it's impossible task
    -and how to add custom eyes to figure?? I think i need to load figure in 3ds max remove eyes, get new one and it's ready??
    -If i use my own made eyelids it possible to use texture/materials from daz3d to create eyes??
    - What the name off eyes in Asset Store that you know it would work (although don't know if i use it since now i'm in phase of trying unity with 3d models (I use daz3d since it have many made assets for game)

18. drewradley

drewradley

That looks nice! I use the Gen 4 figures myself and a few gen 3 (since I have been collecting clothes, etc since they were first introduced) and have use a similar technique in the past. How far down can you decimate Genesis figures? I manage to get them, fully dressed, down below 10k which is decent for modern mobile. Had 20 or so of them on scene and it ran nicely on my Galaxy S3 phone. I'd love to see some more screen shots of what you've done, maybe even point me to a game I can try.

19. drewradley

drewradley

In DAZ Studio, drill down to the eyes and click the hide button next to them and make sure you don't export invisible faces.
    In Unity, put the eyes where they belong, then parent them to the head or perhaps even to the empty eye objects if they are there. I used a half-sphere I made myself with a simple eye texture. If you use a full sphere, half the faces will never be seen so that is wasted performance which adds up if you have a lot of figures in a scene! You can even get away with a quad if you never get to close to the face. For as close as Ony's image though, it would be obviously flat.

Ony likes this.
  20. dullman

dullman

I follow your step and i'm stuck with two things, First How to set up two spheres as one object?? And second how to apply textures to those two spheres, or following previous helpful post to apply to those 4 spheres (since one normal and one gloss) also if someone want to give me link to eyes (with textures, shape and different colors) i would be happy and might buy if cost not too much for testing purpose.

ps. I must ask isn't there a simplest resolve to problem which allow you to use daz3d eye textures since they are good

ps2. After searching through another question i found a solution for irises being black http://www.daz3d.com/forums/viewthread/28520/#729420

21. Ony

Ony

Thank you. :) I only have a small number of characters on screen at once, and I do PC games only so I can afford to have less decimation going on. These particular characters are around 25k, plus the additional overhead for clothing. I'm using a 4096 atlas for diffusion, another one for specularity, and another one for translucency, all in a Marmoset Skyshop skin shader. I use Megafiers from @SpookyCat for morphing (close to 80 custom channels per character) and clothing wrapping (with the wrap system in Megafiers). Even with all of that and with SSAO Pro, camera DOF, bloom, and other effects on I can still get 60+ FPS even on older systems. Mobile I don't mess with, so of course as you say it has to be a lot less render-heavy.

I very occasionally show screen shots here because I generally try to keep the games I make separate from my developer profiles. It helps in a lot of ways, especially when people in my game's communities go Googling, they might find me in here complaining about them (haha!), or discussing how to do things in my games, and I just don't want to deal with that so I don't say what games I work on. I'll be happy to show some other shots of specific areas of the models if you're interested in anything like that, though.
    Yup, that whole post answers what dullman was asking. That's pretty much it in a nutshell.

22. Ony

Ony

@drewradley pretty much covered that.
    I don't know if they would work because I made my own, but I assume Real Eyes would do the trick. There are some other eye assets in there, too. Do a search and you'll see.

23. Orbcreation

Orbcreation

I had the same problem. What I did was:
    Make the EyeReflection material all transparent.
    Set eye ball with the Eye material
    Made my own texture for the Cornea material, like the one I have included here.

Attached Files:

• Eyes.png
      Eyes.png
      File size:
      130.5 KB
      Views:
  24. rebit

rebit

Hi, im trying to drive DAZ3D char into Unity 5, i have problem with EyeSlashes. How to setup, what shader, i tried a lot of options and the eyeslash.

@Ony, pls can you share your workflow ? I loved the Skin shader that you are using, can you describe? And the lips how did you do that ?!?!?!?!

To correct the EYE, i do the folling procedure, maybe this can help others:

- Change the settings for Cornea Material and EyeReflection Material only, put the eye on both texture and set shader to standard, transparent and with tilling and offset values as below:

CORNEA MESH:

EyeReflection MESH:

25. drewradley

drewradley

There should be a material and texture called "lash" or something close. Make the texture transparent (alpha from greyscale and alpha is transparent is good enough usually) and make the material transparent ( and make sure that it is using the transparent texture). Then just make sure that you are actually using that material on the figure where the lash material is and it should be fine.

rebit likes this.
  26. rebit

rebit

Thank you Drewradley ! Next step is make the Hair works like a cloth with Wind physics.

27. rebit

rebit

28. Ony

Ony

Thanks. :) I'm using one of the Marmoset Skyshop skin shader on these models. The lips are custom Photoshop textures for diffuse, bump, and specularity.

I also use SSAO Pro, Amplify Color, SE Natural Bloom and Dirty Lens, and Cinema Themes, along with extra some color curves and what not. So that's what you're seeing in that shot. Glad you like it. :)

rebit likes this.
  29. rebit

rebit

Last edited: Apr 16, 2015
    Ony likes this.
  30. rebit

rebit

Guys, no lucky with eyeLashes yet, someone can tell what i need to do with the texture ? I didnt understand how to make alpha transparent.

In marmoset im doing this:

31. rebit

rebit

Wow, fixed, i do what the @drewradley do ! Thanks man ! I used IrfanView tool, save as .png with transparent as alpha ! works !

32. rebit

rebit

new version.

Ony likes this.
  33. rebit

rebit

Ony likes this.
  34. rebit

rebit

Demo with character talking:

Ony likes this.
  35. TySim

TySim

For Genesis 3 model, I changed the Eye Moisture and the Eye Map to Standard (Specular Setup) and render to transparent and my eyes appear just fine.

rebit likes this.
  36. CalebplaysMC

CalebplaysMC

I found what I think is the easiest solution: find the eye material and change the rendering mode to "cutout". I used this for my player models and each time it worked.

rebit likes this.
  37. twda

twda

I think you should use Fade for proper AA. Also, I think only G2F eye lashes work. I haven't found a way to create a good G2M eye lashes material.

@Ony Could you share eye lashes material? It looks amazing. This is not standard, right?

Edit: @Ony Ok, nevermind. Thanks for your attention.

Last edited: Apr 29, 2017
    Ony likes this.