Search Unity

Organ Trail: Director's Cut One Year Sales Figures

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Aiursrage2k, Aug 12, 2013.

1. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

The two biggies are steam and humble bundle of course but it looks like ouya sold more then desura which i find a bit surprising, seems the humble store is also useless. Also didnt know they used unity.

$MonthlySales.jpg
    http://www.gamasutra.com/blogs/Ryan...rail_Directors_Cut_One_Year_Sales_Figures.php

Last edited: Aug 12, 2013
  2. antenna-tree

antenna-tree

Yeah, I like that Organ Trail was made using Unity as it really shows that you can make any style.

I thoroughly enjoyed it on iPad.

But as far as the stats go they don't surprise me that much... the Steam bump after the Humble Bundle seems high, but that probably just relates to people that missed the HB sale and were made aware of the game through the aftermath of the HB promotion.

Ouya at 690 sales... that's like a top seller on the platform ;)

3. CG-DJ

CG-DJ

The steam bump in July is probably from the Summer Steam Sale. If I remember correctly, Organ Trail went on sale during the steam sale!

After reading this, I am going to go look more into Humble Bundle.

4. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

Interesting!!! This tiny number gives u s a lot of information! Combine it with this:

And we can extrapolate exactly how much they made by platform! Now, the profit cut of the smallest sellers is not displayed in the chart, but we can sort of deduct it off the unit sales listed above, with a small margin of error (unless some special sales went into those 4 small retailers at some point.)

So... with this information we can take it that this is the full percentage of profit per platform:

[table]
    [tr][td]Steam[/td][td]42.8%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]ios[/td][td]28.9%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Android[/td][td]14.9%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Humble Bundle[/td][td]11.1%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Amazon[/td][td]0.9%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Humble Store[/td][td]0.83%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Ouya[/td][td]0.36%[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Desutra[/td][td]0.21%[/td][/tr]

[/table]

This makes it clear why they wont bother with some stores in the future but no clue why they going to pursue the Humble Store, unless its a requirement to get into the Humble Bundle.

Now, we know they sold 177,384 copies in the Humble Bundle for an average of 0.39 cents... that means a total of $69,179.76. Since Humble Bundle was 11.1% of the profit, that means a total profit of $623,241.08 (that's darn good all around, good for them!)

So, that gets us this per platform:

[table]
    [tr][td]Steam[/td][td]$266747.18[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]ios[/td][td]$180116.67[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Android[/td][td]$92862.92[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Humble Bundle[/td][td]$69179.76[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Amazon[/td][td]$5620.25[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Humble Store[/td][td]$5162.11[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Ouya[/td][td]$2226.16[/td][/tr]
    [tr][td]Desutra[/td][td]$1326.02[/td][/tr]
    [/table]

At the end of the day, even with the poor performance of the lowest platform, they still make 2.2k out of the Ouya. Nothing to write home about but hey, they got to recoup the cost of the box. Shame that's the best performance you can dream off the Ouya right now.

BTW, for anyone thinking that's a lot of money, remember there is more than one guy working on this studio. I don't have the game to look at the credits but I would guess at least 3 people to split that money, and likely a lot of that money goes towards financing the future of their new-founded company.

Another thing to note is they sell copies from their own site, something they did not account for in the reported numbers. Would had been cool to know how their own site's direct sales ranked against the various retailers.

5. Aguy

Aguy

The thing has been out about 2 months. And Towerfall did at least $21,000 (don't know the current number) so it's possible to do more.

6. Starsman Games

Starsman Games

I thought someone else noted that Organ Trail was one of the best sellers. Good to know you can perform better than that there. Still, relative performance is horribly low. Better than Desutra, though.

7. Aiursrage2k

Aiursrage2k

If you look at dustforce, organ trails and atomic zombie smashers it looks like its steam, bundle and IOS or go home crying to momma. Although i think its good to see an IOS can still get past greenlight since it seems steam greenlight users will look down on an IOS game.
    $net-income.png
    http://gamasutra.com/blogs/TerenceLee/20130417/190637/Dustforce_sales_figures.php

8. Noisecrime

Noisecrime

Yeah but it only sold 2000 units, the profit came from having such a (relatively) high price of $15 and as such is likely to be an exception in terms of the profits available on the Ouya.

Not really surprised with the Humble store, its just (AFAIK) a merchant pay system and does little to no marketing for you, though I would have expected a few more sales than they got. Its a bit of a shame as I quite like the humble store as a presumably simple means of providing customers with a trusted merchant system.

What I feel this does show is how important after the first month or two after release on a platform it is to do sales. It seems like there are a large number of gamers who either wait for the sales because they know they will happen, or simply can't stop themselves from buying a 'bargain' when a sale comes along.

PersonallyI might be inclined to price a game higher at release to catch the fans and those who must have it a.s.a.p and allow some wiggle room for doing decent sales later. Towerfall is certainly in a good position to do this, having turned a half decent profit out of appalling unit sales, though I'm very doubtful at this point in time that Ouya can ever become a viable platform.

9. Ocid

Ocid

I wouldn't entirely discount the humble store. Its not unified store like steam.

Its more like buying direct from the dev.

10. Mr.T

Mr.T